Why Wasn't Mangold Immediately Receiving Treatment?

JetsLife

Sep 19, 2011, 4:05:06 PM9/19/11
I know little about treating injuries ... but they shouldn't the Jets
have started R.I.C.E. or whatever immediately after the injury? Why
was Mangold standing on the sideline instead of receiving treatment in
the trainer's room?

Doesn't controlling inflammation immediately speed up the process of
healing?

Does anyone have any insights on this?

Papa Carl

Sep 19, 2011, 5:56:38 PM9/19/11

"JetsLife" <Jets...@aol.com> wrote in message
The inflamation comes later...a few hours afterwards...then you put the ice
and such...they know what they are doing. The Jets docs and ortho guys are
the best there is in the game.

Harlan Lachman

Sep 20, 2011, 1:14:52 AM9/20/11
In article <pbidnR6AAeAKJ-rT...@giganews.com>,
Actually, if one waits for the swelling, it is too late. Ice should be
applied immediately to keep the swelling as low as possible. As much as
the injured location can tolerate. Also, till good to have the injured
leg (or arm) elevated.

When it was clear that Mangold was injured more than a little, he should
have been iced and the ankle/back of the leg, elevated.

harlan

Papa Carl

Sep 20, 2011, 5:52:55 AM9/20/11

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message
And I believe that was the case....he kept getting back up on his own I
think. High Sprains are tough though...often they do not swell, don't look
bad and don't hurt till you try and do something other than minimal standing
or walking. But...they can take forever to heal and cause a long, long term
problem that is nagging rather than chronic. At least that was my
experience...especially when my son had one playing in college. He didn't
even start to hurt much till much later at night. He came out of the game,
got back in for a while and then out again. It happened near the end of the
game, he ran into problems later that night when he'd been down for a while
and got back up. That was my personal experience too...but it's so long ago
I really don't remember :-) And...the coach probably told me to walk it off
and get tough.