Experts Pick Fish

Harlan Lachman

Sep 23, 2010, 11:00:18 AM9/23/10
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/09/22/playbook-picks-sorry-jets-dolphins-are-to
o-tough/?module=HP_spotlight

Good news. I like it when we are underdogs to less talented teams.

I hope ESPN goes the same way as NFL.com

harlan

Deadmeat

Sep 23, 2010, 11:36:54 AM9/23/10

Remember your team got beat by this "less talented" team twice last
year. I believe you were favored in both games, too.

papa.carl44

Sep 23, 2010, 11:53:17 AM9/23/10

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

I'm just not sure they are less talented. And...I do believe in many areas
they are better coached. OMHO, Papa Carl

rt

Sep 23, 2010, 1:12:04 PM9/23/10
On Sep 23, 8:00 am, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/09/22/playbook-picks-sorry-jets-dolphins-ar...

> o-tough/?module=HP_spotlight
>
> Good news. I like it when we are underdogs to less talented teams.
>
> I hope ESPN goes the same way as NFL.com
>
> harlan

OK, "gun to your head", Harlan- you're GM and you've got to pick
either Sanchez or Henne to lead your franchise. Who's your pick?

I'd take Henne, though not with real enthusiasm. Both of these guys
could be out of the league in a couple years. But I guess I'll go
homer and take "robo-QB" over a psychologically frail prima donna.
Plus, if Henne somehow fully evolves, we're talking Trent Dilfer, so
I've got that going for me.

You?

rt

MZ

Sep 23, 2010, 1:38:18 PM9/23/10
rt wrote:
> On Sep 23, 8:00 am, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
>> http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/09/22/playbook-picks-sorry-jets-dolphins-ar...
>> o-tough/?module=HP_spotlight
>>
>> Good news. I like it when we are underdogs to less talented teams.
>>
>> I hope ESPN goes the same way as NFL.com
>>
>> harlan
>
> OK, "gun to your head", Harlan- you're GM and you've got to pick
> either Sanchez or Henne to lead your franchise. Who's your pick?

Pull the trigger.

rt

Sep 23, 2010, 2:24:27 PM9/23/10

Likely the merciful call...

rt

Harlan Lachman

Sep 23, 2010, 2:40:01 PM9/23/10
In article
<4a84440b-916c-43f2...@v6g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
rt <bellin...@gmail.com> wrote:

RT, I agree that both could be out of the league in a couple of years.
So, my choice is not something I would bet the house on.

I have never liked Henne as a Qb.

I am concerned about Mark's results when things start of badly because
of his performance (unlike the Pats game where he was not responsible
for getting only one series in the first quarter or giving up TDs).

But I see Sanchez as a Qb with some upside. He has made all the throws,
performed in the playoffs well under pressure, and he is saddled with
Shott of whom know one is confident as opposed to the should be hall of
famer Dan Henning.

I would absolutely make the trade with Cleveland again and pick him.

Harlan

Harlan Lachman

Sep 23, 2010, 2:41:28 PM9/23/10
In article <4c9b7417$0$21147$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
Deadmeat <no...@home.com> wrote:

Yup. And the mistakes Woodhead and Rex made stick in my craw. But when a
team turns Ted Ginn into a hero, I blame the team rather than think the
other team was better.

harlan

Message has been deleted

rt

Sep 23, 2010, 3:54:29 PM9/23/10
On Sep 23, 12:01 pm, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> Freakin' homer ideological crap I say!
> I thought we were rid of you, rt.  Just can't keep the 'hood pure, these days ;)
>
> I'm not a big fan of Sanchez, yet... but I'd stay home, and choose him.  I mean, he's like
> 8 years old, has talent, really good leg movement, and has dealt with NY pressure pretty
> well.  Seems to me, the kid has more upside than Mr Youngman.

Yeah, consider me a NG bedbug.

As long as these two QBs are starting, this discussion will likely
continue. I'd think whoever plays better Sunday will be on the
winning team. Especially now that the heroic Teddy Ginn is
history... ;-)

rt

rt

Sep 23, 2010, 4:04:11 PM9/23/10
On Sep 23, 11:40 am, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <4a84440b-916c-43f2-8064-be1c7541e...@v6g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

Fair enough, I understand your rationale. As buRford said, he has
handled the pressure of being the Jets annointed guy pretty well, and
that is no small task under the bright lights. Whether he can do this
if the Jets were to somehow miss the playoffs is the question that
remains.

Conversely, "upside" is what Henne seems to lack. His four year
starting stats at Michigan are amazing in terms of consistency-
virtually no statistical improvement from freshman to senior year.
He is a "good soldier", possibly destined to perineal #2 QB status, or
maybe he'll amaze me and start getting it.

I know you guys look at Henning with envy considering Schott's
conservatism, but Dolphin fans wonder why our offense stays so vanilla
even now that we have a "elite" receiver. I doubt that is going to
change Sunday as the emphasis will be on protection, but hopefully
they'll surprise me.

Enjoy the game,
rt

Deadmeat

Sep 23, 2010, 4:06:14 PM9/23/10

Ok, to make sure I'm getting this correctly, any good plays made by the
other team are not really good plays, they are strictly mistakes made by
the jets? Any good plays by the jets doesn't have any to due with the
other teams mistakes, it simply means the jets are better. Gotcha.

Harlan Lachman

Sep 23, 2010, 5:16:01 PM9/23/10
In article <4c9bb336$0$1069$c3e8da3$aae7...@news.astraweb.com>,
Deadmeat <no...@home.com> wrote:

Meat, let me rephrase so it is clearer. If a team (e.g., Miami) is
playing poorly enough to lose and only wins because the other team
(e.g., Jets) plays a Woody in the wrong position on specials and turns a
worthless POS (e.g., Ted Worthless Ginn) into a record book hero, the
team that got rid of that player is still piss poor and so is the team
they beat if they repeat that game giving away play. It seems to an old
fart like me that it is a lot easier to correct two plays (especially
when both culprits are off their respective teams) than to correct a
game of them.

harlan

Harlan Lachman

Sep 23, 2010, 5:22:56 PM9/23/10
In article
<2127b7b4-25b7-487c...@x20g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
rt <bellin...@gmail.com> wrote:

RT, I think we envy you Henning because although he does not do the
multiple shifts designed to confuse the opponent and his own team, have
innovative elegant plays that often don't work, and plays that often
seem to be chosen at random from among cards selected from a shoe box,
Henning just seems to select standard plays designed to work against the
opponent and get his team well practiced so they execute them properly.

While Henne may or may not be the guy to pull the trigger, one has to
remember that Henning was pretty successful in DC and has two rings to
prove it. And while the wildcat was not his idea, his implementation
were pretty good: a tribute to his players perhaps, but also the
variations and practice, practice, practice that went into it.

Harlan

rt

Sep 23, 2010, 5:38:44 PM9/23/10
On Sep 23, 2:22 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <2127b7b4-25b7-487c-8ecb-f25520a06...@x20g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,

Maybe I've not given Henning enough credit for allowing the Wildcat to
be born. I've just credited QB coach David Lee ex offensive
coordinator @ Arkansas for bringing his Wildhog southeast, but I
suppose Dan deserves kudos for being open to the idea.

But Henning seems to play "not to lose" more often than not. First
play from scrimmage last week was a beautiful 46 yd completion to
Brandon, and that was it for the deep ball in a close game against a
potentially explosive offense (as well as a tough run defense). Had
we not been fortunate to run into "Bad Brett", we probably would have
lost that game.

This week should be enlightening, though. Both teams will likely
reach into their bag of tricks.

rt

Johnny Morongo

Sep 23, 2010, 6:01:37 PM9/23/10

Perhaps, rt, the Fish O stays Vanilla because that's basically all
Henne is capable of. Your observation about Henne at UM, though,
doesn't go far enough. In his four years there, with very good teams,
he never managed to beat OSU, THE game of the year each year for UM.
My Point? He's NOT clutch. Now we don't KNOW that Sanchez is or is
not clutch, but there IS a body of evidence which says that Henne's
not.

I'll take our kid over your'n.

Johnny Morongo

Sep 23, 2010, 6:03:40 PM9/23/10
On Sep 23, 2:16 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article <4c9bb336$0$1069$c3e8da3$aae71...@news.astraweb.com>,

>  Deadmeat <no...@home.com> wrote:
> > On 9/23/2010 2:41 PM, Harlan Lachman wrote:

> > > Yup. And the mistakes Woodhead and Rex made stick in my craw. But when a
> > > team turns Ted Ginn into a hero, I blame the team rather than think the
> > > other team was better.
>
> > > harlan
>
> > Ok, to make sure I'm getting this correctly, any good plays made by the
> > other team are not really good plays, they are strictly mistakes made by
> > the jets?  Any good plays by the jets doesn't have any to due with the
> > other teams mistakes, it simply means the jets are better.  Gotcha.
>
> Meat, let me rephrase so it is clearer. If a team (e.g., Miami) is
> playing poorly enough to lose and only wins because the other team
> (e.g., Jets) plays a Woody in the wrong position on specials and turns a
> worthless POS (e.g., Ted Worthless Ginn) into a record book hero, the
> team that got rid of that player is still piss poor and so is the team
> they beat if they repeat that game giving away play. It seems to an old
> fart like me that it is a lot easier to correct two plays (especially
> when both culprits are off their respective teams) than to correct a
> game of them.
>
> harlan

Well, at least you got the "old Fart" part right. ;)

Deadmeat

Sep 23, 2010, 6:24:26 PM9/23/10
On 9/23/2010 5:16 PM, Harlan Lachman wrote:
> In article<4c9bb336$0$1069$c3e8da3$aae7...@news.astraweb.com>,

Oh, I get it. I do the same thing with the Dolphins. It's just as
jets/dolphins gets closer, my need to screw with jet fans becomes more
of a need than just a desire. Good luck on Sunday.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

euphy

Sep 23, 2010, 7:29:50 PM9/23/10
On 9/23/2010 6:14 PM, graybeard wrote:
> To be fair, Harlan, Ginn wasn't a factor in the other game, when our
> offense came from behind twice in the fourth quarter to take leads, only
> to have Miami ram it 68 yards down the collective throat of our vaunted
> defense for the last 5 minutes of the game and score the winning TD with
> 10 seconds left.

He wasn't?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyPtJF-IgPc

Message has been deleted

rt

Sep 23, 2010, 7:59:36 PM9/23/10
On Sep 23, 4:29 pm, euphy <eüphem...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On 9/23/2010 6:14 PM, graybeard wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:16:01 -0400 Harlan Lachman<har...@eeivt.com>
> > wrote:

You knew what he meant, eÜph!! ;-)

Frankly, I'd almost trade 2 losses/year to the Jets just for the
riddance of Ginn. Well, that's maybe a little cheap. Ginn and Joey
Porter. There, that sounds fair...

rt

rt

Sep 23, 2010, 8:02:57 PM9/23/10
On Sep 23, 3:24 pm, Deadmeat <no...@home.com> wrote:
> On 9/23/2010 5:16 PM, Harlan Lachman wrote:
>

> > In article<4c9bb336$0$1069$c3e8da3$aae71...@news.astraweb.com>,

> >   Deadmeat<no...@home.com>  wrote:

Things have changed. Back in the SAR I / Bob Jensen days there was
hilarious and often vicious going banter back and forth. Scott is
still my all time favorite troll(?)...

Years of mediocrity seems to have dulled the edge.

The Jets inevitable Super Bowl win this season should bring back the
spark...

rt

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Sep 23, 2010, 9:23:44 PM9/23/10

"rt" <bellin...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You?

rt

I'd trade both for Dan Henning to run my offense.

Harlan Lachman

Sep 23, 2010, 11:43:34 PM9/23/10
In article <4c9bd39a$0$14079$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
Deadmeat <no...@home.com> wrote:

With Shott as our OC and Henning as yours (not to mention, Jenkins,
Revis, Pace, and possibly others out), we Jets will need it.

Harlan

Harlan Lachman

Sep 23, 2010, 11:44:17 PM9/23/10
In article
<0257b5e7-c21f-4b18...@l25g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
Johnny Morongo <j.mir...@harmonicconcordance.com> wrote:

I guess you have been nosing around my house.

finsfan

Sep 24, 2010, 2:02:15 AM9/24/10
That's funny stuff you spew. Henne having a good team and all at the U
of M. Think about a Mr Lloyd Carr??? Ask any U fan and they will tell
you why Michigan blew those Ohio games. Coaching.
That said, our OC will throw twice- maybe. Depends on the sun and
Marshall's sunscreen.

Johnny Morongo

Sep 24, 2010, 4:20:47 AM9/24/10
On Sep 23, 8:44 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <0257b5e7-c21f-4b18-b0e4-ff13cf48a...@l25g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,

I hang around with a couple of octogenarians and a 74 year old.
They've actually SEEN games played in leather helmets. The point
being, I know a geezer when I see one. You're formally invited to the
"Friday Old Farts of the Desert" meetings. Call for directions.

Johnny Morongo

Sep 24, 2010, 4:58:28 AM9/24/10

True, Carr coached, against OSU with a really tight ass. Tressel had
his #. Bui still, the QB of a very good team, if he's very good too,
will overcome bad coaching. Look at Divine at ND.

Message has been deleted

euphy

Sep 25, 2010, 6:55:22 PM9/25/10
On 9/23/2010 6:56 PM, graybeard wrote:
> The Jets came back to re-take the lead after that TD, and Ginn did not
> have a single catch on the Dolphin's winning drive, so no, he wasn't a
> factor in the loss.

Okay... so the Dolphins would have won without that Ted Ginn score? I
see. Math wasn't your best subject, I guess? Maybe you just need to look
up the definition of the word "factor."

euphy

Sep 25, 2010, 6:56:15 PM9/25/10

No, I don't guess I did.

papa.carl44

Sep 25, 2010, 9:45:49 PM9/25/10

"buRford" <buR...@buR.ford.com> wrote in message
> I guarantee, if you think Henning will throw twice, you'll be wrong.
> It'll be more like the pass setting up the run, IMHO.

I think they will run a lot of wildcat...and when the Jets looked gassed
they will throw...I'm hoping Rex has worked hard on a different D package to
deal with that.