Ex-Patriot Kevin Turner with ALS

Ray O'Hara

Aug 21, 2010, 1:37:30 PM8/21/10
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/08/21/ex_patriot_hit_with_als_diagnosis/

Kevin Turner was strumming his guitar about 18 months ago when the fingers
of his left hand suddenly stopped listening to him. Maybe it's arthritis
creeping in, thought the former New England Patriots fullback, or lingering
effects from many a football injury.

"I was telling them, make a G chord,'' he said, "and they wouldn't move.''

Turner, known on the gridiron for his punishing blocking, had been shrugging
off growing weakness in his hand, but now he couldn't ignore it. He had
surgery to fix the neck injury that ended his career, thinking that may have
caused the hand problem. But there was no improvement, and the weakness
spread to his right arm.

Testing recently brought a stunning diagnosis: amyotrophic lateral
sclerosis, also known as ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease.

The 41-year-old Alabama native is the 14th former National Football League
player known to be diagnosed with the often-fatal and incurable nerve
disorder since 1960. That's a rate eight times higher than the rest of the
adult male population.

So many former players have been diagnosed with ALS that the NFL is
considering whether to provide benefits to help with their care, league
spokesman Greg Aiello told the Globe yesterday....

the rest of article is at the cite.

worth reading.

MuahMan

Aug 21, 2010, 2:45:03 PM8/21/10
On Aug 21, 1:37 pm, "Ray O'Hara" <raymond-oh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/08/21/ex...

Totally sucks. :(

CalC

Aug 21, 2010, 2:50:30 PM8/21/10

There was also an article just written and it questioned whether
possibly Lou Gehrig may have not had Lou Gehrig's disease. It reasoned
that blunt force injuries mimicked ALS in some post mortem brains of
NFL players. Last week or 2.

Ritchie

Aug 21, 2010, 6:07:14 PM8/21/10

> There was also an article just written and it questioned whether
> possibly Lou Gehrig may have not had Lou Gehrig's disease. It reasoned
> that blunt force injuries mimicked ALS in some post mortem brains of
> NFL players. Last week or 2.

I read that article and it was very interesting. I wish Kevin Turner
all the luck in the world in the battle he is facing.

mr dude@harvarduniversity.edu

Aug 21, 2010, 9:57:07 PM8/21/10
On Aug 21, 2:50 pm, CalC <calcarpent...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> There was also an article just written and it questioned whether
> possibly Lou Gehrig may have not had Lou Gehrig's disease.

Someone should have told him not to sleep with Lou Gehrig!!!

mr dude (why can't the public health commission stop Lou Gehrig from
sprEADING THIS DISEASE!!!???

MR DUDE (SORRY i HIT THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON BY MISTAKE)

B...@yahoo.com

Aug 22, 2010, 11:17:07 AM8/22/10
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 18:57:07 -0700 (PDT), "mr
du...@harvarduniversity.edu" <fost...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Aug 21, 2:50 pm, CalC <calcarpent...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> There was also an article just written and it questioned whether
>> possibly Lou Gehrig may have not had Lou Gehrig's disease.
>

>Someone should have told him not to sleep with Lou Gehrig!!!
>
>mr dude (why can't the public health commission stop Lou Gehrig from
>sprEADING THIS DISEASE!!!???

Guess you haven't figured out that Lou Gehrig died a while back?

mr dude@harvarduniversity.edu

Aug 22, 2010, 7:15:26 PM8/22/10
On Aug 22, 11:17 am, B...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Guess you haven't figured out that Lou Gehrig died a while back?

No you're thinking of Louis Gossett Jr.

mr dude