NFL Playbook video on Jets O in Mia game.

Grinch

Dec 17, 2010, 1:38:21 PM12/17/10
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81ce91ab/Playbook-Sanchize-hurting-franchise

Plenty of blame to go around, believe me.

But at the core: "At the end of the day, if you are going to be a
playoff team your QB has to play better than Mark Sanchez ... Those
were four plays [Sanchez messed up] there are another eight we left on
the cutting room floor due to lack of time."

papa.carl44

Dec 17, 2010, 7:43:28 PM12/17/10

"Grinch" <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

OK...here is the thing....some folks seem to think it is all one thing or
all the other. It isn't. Sanchez did NOT play well at all, but the reality
is, his coaches made a decision to have him be the man so somebody felt he
was ready and they never made any attempt to go find a veteran replacement
that was actually better. AND...how Sanchez plays has nothing to do with
the OC...and further than that, his problems and issues with poor play could
very well be amplified by poor coaching and poor design of the offense.
This is not a matter of someone "hating" Schott, it is an observation of the
game of football. I don't think Sanchez is playing well, even after he
showed some signs of progress and at times made some very good plays. That
fact has nothing to do with how I view the overall scheme of the offense. A
good decision would have been to let the kid develop before making him the
starter, I'd love to know whose decision that was because that would tell us
a Hell of a lot more about what really is happening.

Grinch

Dec 17, 2010, 11:22:30 PM12/17/10
On Dec 17, 7:43 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "Grinch" <oldna...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81ce91ab/Playb...

> > Plenty of blame to go around, believe me.
>
> > But at the core: "At the end of the day, if you are going to be a
> > playoff team your QB has to play better than Mark Sanchez ... Those
> > were four plays [Sanchez messed up] there are another eight we left on
> > the cutting room floor due to lack of time."
>
> OK...here is the thing....some folks seem to think it is all one thing or
> all the other.  It isn't.  Sanchez did NOT play well at all, but the reality
> is, his coaches made a decision to have him be the man so somebody felt he
> was ready and they never made any attempt to go find a veteran replacement
> that was actually better.

Now this is an excellent point. They go into a "win the Super Bowl
*now*" year with talented but baby, unproven QB and nobody else at the
most critical position -- in a no salary cap year. That is just
willful negligence. When the Giants mortgaged the franchise to get
Eli even they signed Kurt Warner at the same time -- and they weren't
trying to "win now".

This is something nobody can pin on the OC, it was a strategic/money
decision, Rex, Tanny, Woody.

But I doubt it was Rex, because what sane HC whose (ample) ass is
going to be on the line in a "win now" year doesn't want an insurance
policy at QB? Rex is a lot of things, but he ain't stupid.

Tanny OTOH has shown a lot of conceit and maybe arrogance in gambling
lots of draft picks to trade up, etc. Even if you are really good,
that can always bite you in the butt.

Woody reportedly cut several million from the payroll this year. Why
only 2 RBs instead of 3 when you are supposedly running a "ground and
pound"? Why'd they let TJ walk? He's on a 1,000 yd pace in KC as
their #2 RB, and that sure would have helped a ground and pound here
if they were serious about it. Why'd they let Woodhead walk? Because
they were committed to pay a few bucks to McKnight?

Why not another QB in a no-cap year? Did Woody tell Tanny he was
reluctant to spend more money on two QBs, one of whom would sit, and
Tanny make him happy by saying "Don't worry about it, I traded up to
draft this kid so he's guaranteed to get better fast!"?

I don't know, but otherwise it's inexplicable. Who goes in to a "win
now" season with a QB as league-bottom *bad* as the kid was last year
-- whatever his excuse, and no matter how promising he is for the
long run -- without a plan B??

> AND...how Sanchez plays has nothing to do with
> the OC...and further than that, his problems and issues with poor play could
> very well be amplified by poor coaching and poor design of the offense.
> This is not a matter of someone "hating" Schott, it is an observation of the
> game of football.  I don't think Sanchez is playing well, even after he
> showed some signs of progress and at times made some very good plays.  That
> fact has nothing to do with how I view the overall scheme of the offense.

> A good decision would have been to let the kid develop before making him the
> starter, I'd love to know whose decision that was because that would tell us
> a Hell of a lot more about what really is happening.

Absolutely. See, we agree on some things. :-)

Or at least they should have planned to have the *option* of doing
that, and of giving the kid a break during a bad stretch.

I looked this up last year when I was afraid the kid was getting shell-
shocked after some awful games. Namath, Montana, Elway (who as a
rookie once lined up behind guard out of confusion) Marino, almost all
the greats spent a good part of their first two years on the bench.

Last year when I noted this a lot of people said "Oh, just throw him
in from day one like Peyton, that's how to learn".

Well *some* can learn that way, if the have a spit-in-their-eye
attitude, but others have to be brought along more slowly lest they be
broken. Sanchez looks to me like the more sensitive type. And if
they'd done like Eli/Warner, Montana/DeBerg, etc., they would at least
have had *options* to consider to use in developing/protecting him..

Now they are saying Sanchez's confidence is being shaken. Gee whiz,
too bad. Whoever's fault it is, there's no option to do anything
about it now.

papa.carl44

Dec 18, 2010, 9:49:47 PM12/18/10

"Grinch" <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

What is really freakin amazing is they actually sold the public on the idea
that they were in WIN THE SB NOW...with an unproven, un-schooled second year
QB.....and the big time media pundits bought into it too.

Copp

Dec 19, 2010, 10:44:37 AM12/19/10
In article <2c2dnUTYRrZW75DQ...@giganews.com>

"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

> What is really freakin amazing is they actually sold the public on the idea
> that they were in WIN THE SB NOW...with an unproven, un-schooled second year
> QB.....and the big time media pundits bought into it too.

And all the Jets fans on this newsgroup.

papa.carl144 on 10/21/10 in the thread: Re: Ding ding ding: Burf v. Glenn

"Burf recognizes a contender....I do not get you guys at all....you baffle
me. We realize the Jets are good, really good, loaded with talent and I
actually think they made some of those wins look more difficult than they
should have....."

10/23/10 same thread:

"Welcome to REX-ball. We are a ball control running offense. Apparently
you missed the memo.

You and Burf are nuts nuts nuts. This is a very very good team coaches
and all."

10/31/10 thred Re: Clutch QB play, by a QB made of special stuff.

"the jet offense is loaded. skill
guys and guys in the trenches. i had a feeling that schotty would
still manage to make a mess of it. "

Though to be fair, you said in the thread Not Yet Ready For Prime Time Coaching
12/6/10:

"Preparation, Game Planning, and Execution (and yes it is the responsibility
of the coaches to get them to execute)....it is clear that all the bravado
and talk is just that...facing a top opponent Rex and company look like an
embarassment at this point. This is what some of us have been talking
about...this D is all guessing...and he is not guessing right....and the O
can not take advantage of any of the weaknesses the D gives them....the
hurry up worked...so they get out of it....poor, poor coaching."

papa.carl44

Dec 19, 2010, 1:04:20 PM12/19/10

"Copp" <cr7...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You confuse me..."To be fair"????? What is not consistent here....they sold
a win now, we are going to the SB attitude...Rex all but promised they would
be there and he even may have done that. There HBO appearance was the most
over the top of all the teams covered in that series. They went out and
acquired some serious WR's and have some good talent in many other areas.
AND...everything I said back then fits with what I just said...they sold the
idea, made people belive it and got a lot of hype going on it. A lot of the
guys on all the TV shows kept talking about them. I personally do not think
the planning of the defense looks as good as it did last year, and it isn't
executed as well either. Jenkins was a huge loss. They have talent...and
it does not translate into performance. Rex has allowed other coaches to
outscheme him...they have taken away his two prize weapons on defense, the
shut down corners...and in a few places I think you mix up some of the
has been wasted at times, quite often really. BB did an incredible job, got
ready for meeting number 2 by changing the entire approach with a TE
attack...I'm surprised people don't really get how good a job that was and
Rex was not ready for it and did not use what he had to play with well.
There is and has been way too much of the talk and not much of the DO IT.