Talks End...Union To Disolve

papa.carl44

Mar 11, 2011, 5:40:34 PM3/11/11
Just heard NY Times alert...the talks have broken off and come to an end.
The union took steps to decertify itself. The union will use the names of
big name players at plaintiffs. They will seek an injunction to prevent a
lock out, try to use anti-trust laws etc. Just got another one saying the
players did vote to decertify the union. This looks like it will be a work
stoppage. Bring on the UFL ! I have a real hard time feeling much for
either side, I have friends and family members who are out of work and lost
jobs they had for 15 years and more. High school football cost a couple of
bucks, three colleges very close, one in walking distance and they play good
ball....I can live with that.

papa.carl44

Mar 11, 2011, 5:41:59 PM3/11/11

"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote in message

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com?emc=na

papa.carl44

Mar 11, 2011, 5:51:31 PM3/11/11
Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Mar 11, 2011, 5:54:58 PM3/11/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I read earlier that someone thinks this will force the reinstatement
of the 2010 season, i.e. no cap, extended RFA, etc.

Your kink shows Tsunami pictures & stories. Maybe a reminder of what
is really important?

The story was in the middle of the page...also just read the the new crowd
in DC wants to limit Tsunami aide. So, we only save drowning bankers?

the link...
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/sports/football/12nfl.html?_r=1&hp

Ray O'Hara

Mar 11, 2011, 9:07:58 PM3/11/11

"papa.carl44" <papad...@nospamverizon.net> wrote in message

rather an ironic action vis a vis Wisconsin.

Message has been deleted

Michael

Mar 14, 2011, 9:50:37 AM3/14/11
On Mar 14, 9:40 am, John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I read earlier that someone thinks this will force the reinstatement
> > of the 2010 season, i.e. no cap, extended RFA, etc.
>
> > Your kink shows Tsunami pictures & stories.   Maybe a reminder of what
> > is really important?
>
> > The story was in the middle of the page...also just read the the new crowd
> > in DC wants to limit Tsunami aide.  So, we only save drowning bankers?
>
> > the link...http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/sports/football/12nfl.html?_r=1&hp
>
> Expect some massive inflation:
> 1. Japan is #2 producer of steel and its domestic demand will chew up
> their output in addition to any production disruptions.
> 2. Expect the Egyptians to claim their share of the energy wealth via
> the canal.

inflation of:

metals, plastics (related to petrochemicals), energy, paper, bulk
transportation.

no inflation of: middle and lower class wages.

Johnny Morongo

Mar 14, 2011, 2:49:56 PM3/14/11

Oh please bring back football so that I won't have to think about the
world.

Michael

Mar 14, 2011, 2:59:03 PM3/14/11
On Mar 14, 2:49 pm, Johnny Morongo
> world.- Hide quoted text -

a workers revolution might be more exciting than pro ball. starting
at "year zero" could prove to be more entertaining than the opening of
the regular season. it all depends on where your seats are, I
guess :-)

papa.carl44

Mar 14, 2011, 5:54:24 PM3/14/11

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Where the seats are?????? If you even get into the game is the question.

papa.carl44

Mar 14, 2011, 5:57:33 PM3/14/11

> I read earlier that someone thinks this will force the reinstatement
> of the 2010 season, i.e. no cap, extended RFA, etc.
>
> Your kink shows Tsunami pictures & stories. Maybe a reminder of what
> is really important?
>
> The story was in the middle of the page...also just read the the new crowd
> in DC wants to limit Tsunami aide. So, we only save drowning bankers?
>
> the
> link...http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/sports/football/12nfl.html?_r=1&hp

Expect some massive inflation:
1. Japan is #2 producer of steel and its domestic demand will chew up
their output in addition to any production disruptions.
2. Expect the Egyptians to claim their share of the energy wealth via
the canal.

Japan is the producer of Prograf aka tacrolimus...the number one
immunosupressant currently in use for organ transplantation. There are now
some generics of tacrolimus available, but they are having issues with them
and the dosages are not exactly the same. Unfortunately, you can't play
around to find out if you dose is correct without causing irreversible
damage in many cases. I plan on talking with my coordinator and see how I
can go to a generic without issues. It's only the last year that generics
have been available.

Michael

Mar 14, 2011, 6:17:58 PM3/14/11
On Mar 14, 5:54 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "Michael" <mjd1...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Where the seats are??????  If you even get into the game is the question.- Hide quoted text -

And the only snack they serve at the gatherings is Pol Pot Pie

papa.carl44

Mar 14, 2011, 6:58:39 PM3/14/11

"Michael" <mjd...@verizon.net> wrote in message

The "reorganization" has been in the works for sometime...a crisis like
Japan, situations in the Middle East and other things will only hasten it.
Lots of changes coming I think.

Michael

Mar 14, 2011, 9:07:51 PM3/14/11
On Mar 14, 6:58 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
> Lots of changes coming I think.- Hide quoted text -

"Reorganization" or may be the "End Times"

Message has been deleted

papa.carl44

Mar 15, 2011, 11:14:53 AM3/15/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Where is it made? Is the pharmaceutical industry based where the
tsunami hit?

I don't want to sound cold hearted but I can't see the Japanese no
focus on high margin businesses. Is that knowledge abase easily moved?

Tacrolimus is a biologic. It comes from something that grows on a fungus
found in soil in Japan.
**It is a 23-membered macrolide lactone discovered in 1984 from the
fermentation broth of a Japanese soil sample that contained thebacteria
Streptomyces tsukubaensis. It reduces interleukin-2 (IL-2) production by
T-cells.** One of the concerns is the generics are not the same in all ways
and on some people they don't seem to work as well. Prograf (brand name)
already costs an exhorbitent amount, several thousand dollars a month for a
maintenance dose....I expect the price will really rise now. It is much
cheaper in other countries.

Message has been deleted

Papa Carl

Mar 17, 2011, 12:55:39 AM3/17/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sorry to hear that.

What I'm certain will happen is insurance companies will insist people take
one of the generics. The problem there is we have no rules forcing the
consistent dispensing of generics. So one month you may get one version of
it and the following a different. That can be deadly for a transplant
patient.

Message has been deleted

Harlan Lachman

Mar 17, 2011, 10:38:18 AM3/17/11
In article
<d932f238-afa3-4feb...@r4g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,

> No one has ever intelligently explained to me the finance, & to be
> quite direct , the ethics of pharmaceutical pricing. Don't tell me
> that the cost of doing business in the US is higher as the cost within
> the same firm is spread across the world.
>
> We regulated utilities successfully for years so why not drugs? Why
> the Dems didn't blow up that stupid drug bill of Bush' instead of
> wasting all that energy on the health care bill is beyond me. If the
> GOP had a brain, more importantly a conscious, they should attack
> their own POS drug bill. It would give them credibility to go after
> the excesses of the last HC reform.
>
> Papa, make me Czar. Simple fixes can have huge cost savings & more
> importantly huge societal benefits. All these guys want is graft and
> whether it is union money (Dems) or corp $ (both parties but largely
> mine) ; you don't get that if it is simple fix because the flow of
> money becomes more traceable. You get that when you have a million
> pieces to the bill.
>
> We are an over-medicated country-- obviously not knocking transplant
> patients whose alternative is death-- and I will shut up now.

John, while I would assert that lock-step elected republicans are not
conscious, I believe you meant to type "conscience".

And frankly, the walking handouts populating political office are
unlikely to solve this proof caused by the laws of supply and demand.
Understanding money politics and the law of S&D are all you need to
understand about pricing (consider yourself intelligently explained
please). The law of S&D does not work for humanity in regards to
essential services provided through a monopoly. Intellectual property
rights allow one manufacturer to own the rights to essential
medications. The more important the drug(s), in other words the higher
the demand (e.g., for a life saving drug), the more they can charge.
Without any competition, there is no price ceiling or conscience.

You brought up the utility (i.e., my) industry. It is regulated because
energy is an essential service, necessarily provided by a monopoly (the
costs of poles and wires and exclusive deals). Even here, given that
most regulators are appointed by politicos (subject to financial and
powerful lobbies representing the utility industry) and eventually move
into utility industry jobs (management, consulting, books), the quality
of regulation is cowardly and ineffective at best.

Other countries overseas are not attached to our economic system and the
threat of them ignoring IP (as in the case of AIDs drugs), and the
available incomes to pillage, result in lower prices.

Simple,

Message has been deleted

Papa Carl

Mar 17, 2011, 6:43:59 PM3/17/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The Slip Mahoney in me coming out? At least that post would bring
Johnny into the post.

:)

> And frankly, the walking handouts populating political office are
> unlikely to solve this proof caused by the laws of supply and demand.
> Understanding money politics and the law of S&D are all you need to
> understand about pricing (consider yourself intelligently explained
> please). The law of S&D does not work for humanity in regards to
> essential services provided through a monopoly. Intellectual property
> rights allow one manufacturer to own the rights to essential
> medications. The more important the drug(s), in other words the higher
> the demand (e.g., for a life saving drug), the more they can charge.
> Without any competition, there is no price ceiling or conscience.
>
> You brought up the utility (i.e., my) industry. It is regulated because
> energy is an essential service, necessarily provided by a monopoly (the
> costs of poles and wires and exclusive deals). Even here, given that
> most regulators are appointed by politicos (subject to financial and
> powerful lobbies representing the utility industry) and eventually move
> into utility industry jobs (management, consulting, books), the quality
> of regulation is cowardly and ineffective at best.

We have gotten away from regulation of utilities --sort of-- which was
supposed to bring about lower costs. I am not sure which system is
more efficient but my bet is the old system would be flawed even
today because of our society. I can go on& on about the idiotic
nature & its lack of planning that teh new systemm has spawned. I
brought it up as an example because govt directly & indirectly
finances pharmaceuticals and limiting ROE was the a key component of
PUC's.

> Other countries overseas are not attached to our economic system and the
> threat of them ignoring IP (as in the case of AIDs drugs), and the
> available incomes to pillage, result in lower prices.
>
> Simple,

So you are saying countries that respect patents, licenses, etc.
subsidize those that don't? Build it in to pricing even most ardent
right wingers aren't social darwinists, OK most f them.

The over-medicated component of our system is fixable. I have been
fortunate not to have a regular need for drugs --booze isn't a drug---
but when I had an infected hand recently & got a bill for $120 in
antibiotics I had to wonder how many bitchy Moms demanding antibiotics
for their kid's cold have driven these new antibiotics and their
resulting pricing?

If you paid $120 for antibiotics you paid for a brand name...generics are a
few cents.

MZ

Mar 17, 2011, 8:01:49 PM3/17/11
On Mar 17, 6:43 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> If you paid $120 for antibiotics you paid for a brand name...generics are a
> few cents.

Less than that sometimes. A lot of places (Walmart, Rite Aid?) will
fill antibiotic prescriptions for free.

Papa Carl

Mar 17, 2011, 8:44:11 PM3/17/11

[...]

:-) Check out the cost variations across the COUNTRY...drugs cost different
prices in different parts of the country...and it is all based on the
determined rate they can get for something in a given area. In the NYC to
Philly area the cost of immunosurpessants is highest, especially in Philly
because Philadelphia does more transplants than any other city in the
USA...they have more major transplant centers than anywhere else. I know a
bunch of people who call themselves drug runners...because they go to Canada
and get the drugs they need to keep them alive. The same drugs can be
purchased up there and "stock piled" to use in an emergency. In the first
year after my transplants we had a two month break in our insurance coverage
and it cost me over $3,000 a month for the immunosupressants alone. We
cashed in the IRA's, sold some stocks and along with medical bills
remortgaged the house. There are a lot of people doing stuff like that.
IMHO...the entire idea of a for profit healthcare system can only mean a
broken system...and when a major crisis hits with a pandemic or a
radioactive disaster...we will be screwed. I am close with a family with a
9 year old who had two kidney transplants since he was two years old. They
lost their house...and pretty much everything. They have moved three times
in the last four years. Most people who think the system is not broken have
never had a "major" illness...an out of the ordinary deal....the ONLY
hospital that could do a double transplant when I needed it was in
Philly...and for my insurer that was "out of network." Such is life, I am
NOT complaining, I'm stating what it is. My wife is still working...a
nurse...she has insurance that right now pays for my
immunosupressants...when she stops working we have to get some AARP plan to
cover them...Medicare won't for the most part.

Papa Carl

Mar 17, 2011, 8:48:06 PM3/17/11

"MZ" <for...@mdz.no-ip.org> wrote in message

You are absolutely right. I have a cyber friend who keeps telling me I need
to move to his country to get my immunosupressant drugs...we don't take them
to feel better...we take them to stay alive....some folks don't get that.
Those drugs cost, with no plans, a small fraction of the USA cost when
purchased in Canada. The reality is, the company that developed
Prograf...has long ago made their research money back plus HUGE profits. No
where in the world do the drugs cost what they do here.

MZ

Mar 17, 2011, 11:36:24 PM3/17/11

That's ultimately a problem with IP law, as Harlan mentioned. Giving
a single manufacturer carte blanche to sell a drug makes prices
skyrocket. People think it's a necessary evil because it promotes
R&D, though I question just how much groundbreaking research they're
doing when the NIH is funding the majority of scientific research in
this country in the public sector.

IP extends not only to drug costs, but also medical equipment and
don't forget Bill Gates gets millions every time the local hospital
upgrades their Pentium 4 computers to quad core to run a DOS-based
databasing program. Guess who pays? The patient! Gates acts like a
humanitarian, even though his entire business is all about fleecing
the public by using taxpayer-funded agencies to enforce a monopoly.
For a substandard product, no less.

There's a LOT of money to be made in the healthcare industry, and
sadly the government is the accomplice. The corporate state at its
finest.

Papa Carl

Mar 18, 2011, 12:24:24 AM3/18/11

"MZ" <for...@mdz.no-ip.org> wrote in message

Very well put. I agree completely. This notion that competition drives
companies to find the "new" miracle pharma solutions is pure BS...it
doesn't. The situation with the immunosupressants is even worse. A lot of
the research was paid for by other governments too. The reality is we are
behind quite a few countries in that category. That LOT of money you are
talking about is enough that will keep the primary goal from ever being
achieved. Patient care and cures are not the priority...making money is.
Then you have the major research and teaching hospitals, usually part of a
University, and they push the envelope and drive certain things to be tried,
proven and forced to become part of the program. Still, the model is not
designed to take care of sick people. I spent five straight months mostly in
hospitals. YES....some amazing doctors came up with some untried things and
saved my life...because they believed they could do it...not because they
had any help from the system. However, I can tell you stories about the
screwups by some along the way that were right out of a horror story. In
reality, the "second set" of doctors at the big hospital I got sent to
finally, spent a lot of time trying to fix the screw ups of the "first set"
and the hospital my insurance sent me to.

Message has been deleted

Papa Carl

Mar 18, 2011, 9:36:11 AM3/18/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Mark, I always take or ask for antibiotics. This one didn't have one.
Maybe I shoudl have called the doc & told him to call on in that did.
It was a dog bite that was infected, no tetanus for years, so maybe
there were reasons he used teh new drug besides the sales rep.

:)

Nope...the sales rep. If it was Z-PAC or one of the newer versions it may
still not be generic yet. But for a dog bite infection I would think they
want a broad spectrum approach and there are a bunch of them that are
generic. My pharmacist, at a CVS, takes really good care of me (I'm a major
contributor)...and they give me a lot of information. Plus, my wife is a
nurse who deals with this daily, and I'm on a first name basis with a lot of
very high profile doctors, when you see them as much as I have over the last
few years you get that way. The cost differential between generics and name
brand is unbelivable.

Harlan Lachman

Mar 18, 2011, 7:30:07 PM3/18/11
In article
<bfa4b870-b76b-4eb1...@22g2000prx.googlegroups.com>,

John C TX <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have gotten away from regulation of utilities --sort of-- which was
> supposed to bring about lower costs.

Restructuring was intended to allow price gouging. With an essential
service, establishing a market that rewards shortages, gaming the
system, outages at key times, it is no wonder that California had such
success :-)

> I am not sure which system is
> more efficient but my bet is the old system would be flawed even
> today because of our society.

The regulatory system is very flawed. But, if you look at the impacts of
restructuring of the electric utility based on a before and after rate
analysis corrected for planned supply investments, one would see that
customers got the short end of the stick.

> I can go on& on about the idiotic
> nature & its lack of planning that teh new systemm has spawned. I
> brought it up as an example because govt directly & indirectly
> finances pharmaceuticals and limiting ROE was the a key component of
> PUC's.
>

> > Other countries overseas are not attached to our economic system and the
> > threat of them ignoring IP (as in the case of  AIDs drugs), and the
> > available incomes to pillage, result in lower prices.
> >
> > Simple,

> So you are saying countries that respect patents, licenses, etc.
> subsidize those that don't?

No. I am saying the price gouging of us is based on Supply and Demand of
an essential product. We don't subsidize other countries. The
pharmaceuticals are not pricing based on cost. It is based on what they
think they can get. They can't get the same out in some countries
because it will generate illegal sales.

> Build it in to pricing even most ardent
> right wingers aren't social darwinists, OK most f them.
>
> The over-medicated component of our system is fixable. I have been
> fortunate not to have a regular need for drugs --booze isn't a drug---
> but when I had an infected hand recently & got a bill for $120 in
> antibiotics I had to wonder how many bitchy Moms demanding antibiotics
> for their kid's cold have driven these new antibiotics and their
> resulting pricing?

While supposedly bitchy moms increase demand, again, I doubt it is a
sufficient variable when the demand (for example to save your hand) is
so god damned high.

Papa Carl

Mar 18, 2011, 8:14:39 PM3/18/11

"Harlan Lachman" <har...@eeivt.com> wrote in message

"Not pricing based on cost"....so true, that accounts for the variable
prices on a given drug around the country too.

Message has been deleted