O Ye of Little Faith

JetsLife

Sep 27, 2011, 8:51:48 PM9/27/11
Are the Jets imperfect? Of course. Is it possible as I've thought in
the past and others have postulated: we'll never win it all with
RexHeimer running the offense? Maybe.

And again it ain't Schotty: it's Rex. He is the boss. And are they
somewhat limited by Sanchez's non-dart like arm of the elites? Not
that'd I trade any other QB for Sanchez. I stand behind my own.

Again: the ONLY thing beautiful in today's NFL is the final score. So
far we've put up more points 2/3 of times. That's a 66% success rate -
not great but not bad.

Dalllas and Oakland were swing games in my opinion - we could've
easily won/lost both. We split.

And lest we forget: Dallas & Oakland are two solid, likely playoff-
bound outfits.

Do we have problems? Certainly. Does everyone else? Most definitely.
Will the outfits who want it the most be the last ones standing?
Without question.

RävNsfän ®

Sep 27, 2011, 10:29:30 PM9/27/11
"JetsLife" <Jets...@aol.com> wrote in message
: Are the Jets imperfect? Of course. Is it possible as I've thought in
I must differ. A team could very well want it more than the others but they
may not have the depth of personnel to see it through. The 2010 Packers are
the perfect example of having depth when those next man up plug-in scenarios
raise their ugly little heads. You have depth and you will be there and
strong come the playoffs.

--
~Drew

"Talk is cheap ...lets just go play"
Johnny Unitas - Baltimore Colts

oldn...@mindspring.com

Sep 27, 2011, 10:43:15 PM9/27/11
The most sensible post I've read here in a while.

Papa Carl

Sep 27, 2011, 11:54:42 PM9/27/11

<oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Dallas and Oakland are solidly playoff teams?????? That is sensible??????
Show me that statistic.

JetsLife

Sep 28, 2011, 5:30:19 PM9/28/11
On Sep 27, 10:29 pm, "RävNsfän ®" <noemai...@nospam4me.org> wrote:
> "JetsLife" <JetsL...@aol.com> wrote in message
Yes you're right. I should've qualified 'all things being equal
regarding talent' - teams wanting it the most go furthest. And I'm not
just talking about the players, but the team-wide ethos from top to
bottom. Winning franchises are based on a culture of winning and
burning desire to do whatever it takes to win.

Clearly talent and depth of talent are most critical, just pointing
out that talent being equal culture & desire have a helluva to do with
who wins it all.

For example, the Raiders were visibly more the aggressor last week v.
the Jets: hurry-up offense, aggressive blitzing defense, more risk-
taking across the board. The Jets - not as much. They were fairly
bland and less aggressive compared to the Raiders approach. So in some
sense: Oakland's desire to do whatever it took to win outstripped New
York's.

As for Green Bay last year, yes their depth shown through. It also
didn't hurt they had an Aaron Rodgers spraying darts near and far.
That guy is amazing.

JetsLife

Sep 28, 2011, 5:33:33 PM9/28/11
On Sep 27, 11:54 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:
> <oldna...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Show me that statistic.- Hide quoted text -

I said they are "solid, likely-playoff bound outfits." I didn't say
"solidly playoff teams." That is a wholly different supposition than
what I said.

I think they're both solid outfits, and I think they may be playoff
bound.

oldn...@mindspring.com

Sep 28, 2011, 7:11:59 PM9/28/11
I said "most sensible in a while" -- all things are relative.

Overall, some personal quibbles aside, the thoughts are the least hyperbolic and most sensicble I've seen here in a while.

Certainly more so than all the "We Lost a Game!! It's the End of The World!! We All Knew Who Would End the World And Of Course We Were RIGHT!!!" posts.

>> Show me that statistic.

27.6%

Papa Carl

Sep 28, 2011, 8:16:02 PM9/28/11

<oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
I guess you didn't read some of mine.

RävNsfän ®

Sep 28, 2011, 9:02:27 PM9/28/11
"JetsLife" <Jets...@aol.com> wrote in message
I agree that the Raiders were extremely aggressive and physical. I feel that
could have been anticipated however given the Jets reputation for
physicality under their HC Rex Ryan. Consider the Raiders advantages for the
Raiders however. They were at home for their Opening Day in front of a crowd
that was as jazzed as the Raiders players and that trickles down to
maintaining aggressiveness during the game.

Also, what did the Raiders have to lose by utilizing such an aggressive game
plan against the JETS? Honestly, if I am the Raiders HC I also come out just
as aggressively against not only the JETS, but every east coast team that
travels to Oakland via air and will experience some degree of jet-lag. I
have seen very good teams that went into the playoffs (Ravens, Steelers),
lose to Oakland in the H.O.T. due to travel fatigue. Brian Billick took the
Ravens to Oakland in the middle of the week to practice and acclimate the
team prior to the AFC Championship game. He did the same when traveling to
Denver for the same reasons which of course included acclimating to the
altitude there. The trip definitely has an effect on the body and Rex knew
this from being with the Ravens when they won the SB in 2000.

Kudos to Oakland for a well deserved win, however, ...and this is not to
take anything away from the Raiders, I have watched the Ravens and other
east coast teams lose to a few seriously dysfunctional Raiders teams. So
unless someone tells me that Rex had the team in Oakland mid-week prior to
the game, I have to place some of the blame for the JETS over-all weak
defensive performance on the fatigue factor brought on by cross-country
travel.

Without any doubt, Aaron Rogers has risen to being among the elite QB's in
the NFL in a short time. It seems like he came out of nowhere really. During
the past decade, beginning the new millennium, I never considered the
majority of NFC teams as being a threat to the AFC in the SB. Obviously that
is no longer the case.