Pats get Haynesworth for a 5th

1 view

John C TX

Jul 28, 2011, 8:47:45 AM7/28/11
I truly held out hope we would get this fruitcake. Now we have to see
him twice a year.

Patriots trade for Albert Haynesworth
by Greg A. Bedard July 28, 2011 06:42 AM

By Greg A. Bedard, Globe Staff

The Patriots made their bold move.

The team acquired defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth from the
Washington Redskins, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Patriots sent a 2013 fifth-round pick to the Redskins. The trade
is contingent on Haynesworth passing his physical, which has been a
bit of an issue in the past.

Well, this will certainly liven up camp.

There is no question that when the 6-5 1/2, 320-pound Haynesworth is
right, he's terrific and the best defensive lineman in football.
Double teams can barely contain him as he can rush the passer and
defend the run.

But he hasn't been right since getting paid by the Redskins in 2009 to
the tune of $115 million over seven years. It's essentially a four-
year, $48-million contract because his base salary goes to $29 million
in '13.

Hayesworth, if he wasn't asked to restructure his contract, is due
$5.4 million in base salary this season (plus a $1 million workout
bounus) and $7.2 million next year. The money is why this is
Belichick's biggest reclamation project.

When Randy Moss went to New England, he needed to remake himself to
get paid down the line (still hasn't happened). Running back Corey
Dillon, however, was making a nice chunk of change 3.3 million for
2004 and $3.85 million for '05.

But Dillon at least liked to play. People aren't sure of that with
Haynesworth. Let's not forget that Haynesworth faces an Aug. 23 trial
for misdemeanor sexual assault.

On the field, Haynesworth was suspended for the final month of the
season by the Redskins. At the time he said he couldn't play for in
the Redskins' 3-4 scheme any longer. The Patriots play a lot of four-
man fronts, but he's still going to have to play the 3-4. That being
said, no one is better in the league at fitting his scheme to his
players than Belichick.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett (a
former head coach himself) couldn't get Haynesworth to do anything. Of
course, Shanahan tried to jam it down Haynesworth's throat.

"I don't think I've ever had a player just tell me he didn't want to
play "Okie" defense [the base 3-4] and then later say he didn't want
to play nickel versus the run, 'Just play me on third downs,'" Haslett
said. "No, I've never had that before. And we tried to accommodate
him. It's a shame because he's athletic enough. He can do almost
anything he wants. Obviously, he didn't want to do it. Good athletes
can do a lot of different things. Basketball players -- guards can
play forwards, they can play different positions. I watch throughout
the league, I see wide receivers do the 'Wildcat.' I think to myself,
'If you're a good enough athlete, you can do almost anything you want.
You've just got to want to do it.'"

Haslett continued in on Haynesworth.

"You always want to use good players, but they've got to be willing to
do what you want them to do," Haslett said. "Obviously, if the guy's
not willing to do what you want them to do and you're the head coach,
and the guy doesn't practice well on Thursday -- about as poor as I've
ever seen -- and then Friday, a so-called illness that he doesn't
practice. Then, if I'm the head coach on Saturday, getting ready for
Sunday, you've got to make a decision: What's best for the football
club?

"I think Mike made the right decision to make him inactive, based off
what he saw. We know over the years, based off what we saw last year
in film, when he doesn't practice well or he doesn't show up for
Christmas -- or whatever the situation is -- then he doesn't play
well."

Like the drafting of QB Ryan Mallett, this is another move most teams
couldn't afford to make because they would run the risk of a
Haynesworth blowup derailing the season. Patriots don't have to worry
about that.

Harlan Lachman

Jul 28, 2011, 4:22:25 PM7/28/11
In article
<93ecff12-a2df-4674...@cf8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,

John C TX <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Like the drafting of QB Ryan Mallett, this is another move most teams
> couldn't afford to make because they would run the risk of a
> Haynesworth blowup derailing the season. Patriots don't have to worry
> about that.

And that is why, whether or not we get Namdi, that with Brady and lil
Bill, we will be looking up for the foreseeable future.

harlan

Tutor

Jul 29, 2011, 9:04:11 AM7/29/11
On Jul 28, 4:22 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <93ecff12-a2df-4674-87ea-45685def0...@cf8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,

>  John C TX <johnctxj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Like the drafting of QB Ryan Mallett, this is another move most teams
> > couldn't afford to make because they would run the risk of a
> > Haynesworth blowup derailing the season. Patriots don't have to worry
> > about that.
>
> And that is why, whether or not we get Namdi, that with Brady and lil
> Bill, we will be looking up for the foreseeable future.
>
> harlan

Yep. Belicheatski is the master at picking up oncde-talented ex-stars
at the low end of their careers and making them productive once
again. Dillon, R. Moss and perhaps now Fat Albert. Always at low
cost (a 5th rounder this time) and at minimal risk. We can only hope
that Fat Al is the same unmotivated, out of shape, lazy, club house
cancer that he has shown himself to be over the last couple of
seasons. I won't be holding my breath on that one. Look to see many
more 4-3 type schemes (there were plenty of those last year anyway)
and a more rested Woolfork. Very good move by Belichick. Mangold
will have to step it up in those games.

Michael

Jul 29, 2011, 9:35:15 AM7/29/11

Mangold and Moore will hose fat albert down. Not to worry.

eric

Jul 29, 2011, 12:10:43 PM7/29/11

In addition to Haynesworth the Pats get back Ty Warren who was on IR all
last year. It will be a far better DL than the Jets saw last year.

And by the way it's Wilfork.

MZ

Jul 29, 2011, 12:46:55 PM7/29/11
On Jul 29, 9:04 am, Tutor <dcat4...@yahoo.com> wrote:

They were in the 4-3 only 3 times last season. As opposed to over 500
times in the 3-4 and over 700 times in sub packages. I think that
would be a big change. I see him playing RE (replace Seymour).

eric

Jul 29, 2011, 1:30:29 PM7/29/11

The Redskins wanted Haynesworth at NT which he balked at. It wasn't so
much the 3-4. NE has Wilfork for NT so Haynesworth could easily play an
end a lot of the time.

I don't think 3-4's going to be an issue in NE. It's more general
personality issues that are more likely to be a problem. You can change
your behavior for a while but personality never really changes.

Harlan Lachman

Jul 29, 2011, 4:16:08 PM7/29/11
In article <4e32db81$0$23624$607e...@cv.net>, eric <er...@nowhere.com>
wrote:

It is not nice to deliver bad news in this NG and correct one's spelling
at the same time.

In ancient Greece, they boiled messengers with such news in oil.

Harlan

eric

Jul 29, 2011, 4:41:35 PM7/29/11

Sorry.

eric

Jul 29, 2011, 4:48:10 PM7/29/11
On 7/29/2011 4:16 PM, Harlan Lachman wrote:

Well, how about some good news then. The Patriots just cut Ty Warren.
Kind of surprising to me but I guess he didn't fit with Albert on the scene.

The spelling correction still stands.

Message has been deleted

Tutor

Aug 2, 2011, 9:57:05 AM8/2/11
On Jul 29, 4:41 pm, eric <e...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On 7/29/2011 4:16 PM, Harlan Lachman wrote:
>

> > In article<4e32db81$0$23624$607ed...@cv.net>, eric<e...@nowhere.com>
> Sorry.- Hide quoted text -

I meant Warren. Was hung up on the spelling thing. Sorry. This
thread is a disaster. out

Tutor

Aug 2, 2011, 9:56:29 AM8/2/11
On Jul 29, 4:16 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote: