Re: Kudos to Colin Baxter... Gulp, Mangold...

1 view
Message has been deleted

John C TX

Sep 19, 2011, 10:09:57 AM9/19/11
On Sep 19, 3:28 am, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
> [...]
> I figured he barely knew alignments, etc, but he actually never had taken a snap from
> Sanchez before.
> Serious kudos to the kid!
>
> On the other hand, how is it that the backup Center, never works with the number ones???
> You have to give backups some reps, once in a while... this really concerns me.
> I know they can't get a lot of reps, but none?
>
> New York Jets C Colin Baxter, 9.18
>
> On his experience of getting into the game:
>
> I was nervous at first.  But overall it was exciting and it was a fun moment.  It was a
> cool way to kickoff the season really.  I would rather get put in late in the game when
> we’re up by a lot.  When someone goes down, next man comes up and you have to go in there
> and perform.
>
> On working with quarterback Mark Sanchez:
>
> It was a little bit of getting used to Mark (Sanchez) because I never took a snap with him
> before.  I feel like once I settled down, it smoothed out a bit.
>
> On his thoughts when he saw starting center Nick Mangold go down:
>
> I saw him (Nick Mangold) down and I was thinking, is he going to get up, but he didn’t.

> As for Mangold, judging from what he said afterwards, I think he's gonna be down for a
> while, even if there's no serious damage.
> I've been there numerous times with an ankle, the numbness he speaks of... whenever I've
> been there, we're talking serious sprain & healing time.  Yikes.
>
> New York Jets C Nick Mangold, 9.18
>
> On why he is on crutches after walking off of the field:
>
> Just precaution. I felt like I could give it a go, but it (his ankle) didn’t want to agree
> with me on that. I don’t know, we’re just playing it safe
>
> On whether he felt like he could play while he was on the sideline following the play:
>
> (I) couldn’t really put too much pressure on it. It’s not going to do well, trying to go
> against other guys.
>
> On what type of injury it is:
>
> We’ll get it all tested out tomorrow (and) get a better idea.
>
> On whether it can be a variety of things:
>
> I guess. I don’t know. They haven’t given me a medical degree yet, so we’re still waiting
> on that one. (Joking)
>
> On whether the bone is not broken:
>
> Yeah. X-rays were good, so that’s a good start.
>
> On whether his ankle feels worse now than it did when he came out of the game:
>
> It’s probably about the same, but it’s nice and numb now, so that’s a good thing.
>
> On how frustrating this injury is:
>
> Very frustrating. It’s not what I want. It’s not what I expected. It’s difficult.
>
> On whether there was a lot of concern for him because of the team’s lack of depth at
> center:
>
> No more than anybody (else). We’ve got a great locker room, with guys that care about each
> other. So I think, no matter who it would be, it would be the same level of concern. I
> know that the other guys are going to be ready and they’re going to get the job done if

Agreed.

I remember thinking Felix really sucks or this guy must be a stud to
enter the season with a guy who knew nothing about our offense. They
must be high on the rookie they IR'd.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster/Taylor-Boggs/8d256068-784b-4f90-8b5c-3be8b150e6de

Johnny Morongo

Sep 19, 2011, 5:48:49 PM9/19/11
On 9/19/2011 7:09 AM, John C TX wrote:
> On Sep 19, 3:28 am, buRford<buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:
>> I thought it was an amazing performance, under the circumstances, for our new Center.
>> I figured he barely knew alignments, etc, but he actually never had taken a snap from
>> Sanchez before.
>> Serious kudos to the kid!
>>
>> On the other hand, how is it that the backup Center, never works with the number ones???
>> You have to give backups some reps, once in a while... this really concerns me.
>> I know they can't get a lot of reps, but none?
>>
>> New York Jets C Colin Baxter, 9.18
>>
>> On his experience of getting into the game:
>>
>> I was nervous at first. But overall it was exciting and it was a fun moment. It was a
>> cool way to kickoff the season really. I would rather get put in late in the game when
>> we’re up by a lot. When someone goes down, next man comes up and you have to go in there
>> and perform.
>>
>> On working with quarterback Mark Sanchez:
>>
>> It was a little bit of getting used to Mark (Sanchez) because I never took a snap with him
>> before. I feel like once I settled down, it smoothed out a bit.
>>
>> On his thoughts when he saw starting center Nick Mangold go down:
>>
>> I saw him (Nick Mangold) down and I was thinking, is he going to get up, but he didn’t.

>> As for Mangold, judging from what he said afterwards, I think he's gonna be down for a
>> while, even if there's no serious damage.
>> I've been there numerous times with an ankle, the numbness he speaks of... whenever I've
>> been there, we're talking serious sprain& healing time. Yikes.
He's not that big, listed at only 285, a mere runt by contemporary
standards for any slot on the O-line.

But Hunter's piss poor play and this injury to Nick (who, IMHO, seems
to be having a less than Mangoldian year so far) to point to a possibly
terminal campaign, i.e., dead in the water. Two years running and no
really significant injuries along the O-line? By my reckoning the odds
against it happening for a third straight year are pretty bad. That and
the fact that Sanchez is still, despite winning as he has, a mediocre
QB. At this point at least. The stats don't really lie that much.

Given that and the handicap that Schitt is, I'm stickin' to 8-8, for
now. Let me see the next three games. If they have a defense to match
the '00 Ravens or '85 Bears, that even with this shitty offense, that
might be able to elevate them to contention for the Vince.