'Backing In' to the Playoffs

JetsLife

Dec 27, 2010, 3:17:47 PM12/27/10
What bunk when mediots say that. As if an offseason, preaseason and
season's worth of blood, sweat, tears and wins through the season
means nothing. No such thing as backing into the playoffs, for any
team. If you put yourself in position to get in via another team's
loss, it simply means you've earned the right to quality for the
playoffs.

RickyBobby

Dec 27, 2010, 3:33:29 PM12/27/10

"JetsLife" wrote in message

I see your point, but lighten up. There is a figure of speech that says
that an NFL team "backs" into the playoffs with a loss no matter if they
have played fourteen games or fifteen games or all sixteen games.

By the terms of NFL sportscasters, the Jets did back into the playoffs with
a loss. It is just something to talk about. About 83% of the NFL teams
over the seasons lock in their playoff spot with a victory and about 17%
earn their playoff spots with a loss. It was the same thing last season and
it will be the same thing next season.

I am not sure but I think the term is actually more of a baseball term with
their 162 games season but it was adapted for the NFL.

There is no shame in losing to the Bears. Everybody except for New England
loses to the Bears.

JetsLife

Dec 27, 2010, 3:48:46 PM12/27/10

I hear ya.

I just think's it's lazy analysis, phraseology. I may be mistaken but
I think the Pats qualified for the playoffs after a team or two lost
several weeks ago, before the Pats played on that given week. And no
one's going to say they backed in to the playoffs that day.

John Vamp

Dec 27, 2010, 4:28:50 PM12/27/10

Agreed. Though most people probably would rather get in by winning.
But all that matters is that you're in. The Jets, despite playing
pretty poorly here late in the year, absolutely deserve to be in the
playoffs.

Tutor

Dec 27, 2010, 4:51:29 PM12/27/10
On Dec 27, 3:17 pm, JetsLife <JetsL...@aol.com> wrote:

Trollspeak excluded, talk of "backing in" to the playoffs really
reflects the fact that the Jets are playing well below playoff caliber
now and are slipping into the playoffs on their successes earlier in
the season. My concern is that the team is undisciplined, lacking in
fundamentals and makes many mistakes in the form of an astounding
number of dropped passes, missed tackles and blown coverage. Add to
that the horrific offensive game plans and we have ourselves a
combination of factors that explains this slide.

Fortunately, all that matters is winning on the road 2 weeks from now
and three weeks from now against playoff caliber teams. Rex and
Schott will have to change the way they plan and prepare for these
games otherwise it will be a short playoff visit for this team.

I don't think many of us are pleased with the performance or direction
fo this team. ANd its caused by a combination of factors, starting
with Rex and including the OC who deserves every bit of the venom
thrown his way IMO. But he is far from the only problem on this
team.

RickyBobby

Dec 27, 2010, 4:52:11 PM12/27/10

"JetsLife" wrote in message

I hear ya.

As I said before, it is just a figure of speech. NHL, NBA, MLB, or NFL, any
team can "back" into the playoffs even while losing some games.

It is like saying that if two teams match, the team that has more TV, movie,
model, music stars as wives or girlfriends either has a disadvantage or an
advantage.

It is a funny phrase but I would not it too seriously.

On the serious side, I still do not understand why anybody punts the ball to
Devin Hester and dares him to run it back. I will give you a clue in
advance, he will run it back.

RickyBobby

Dec 27, 2010, 5:16:05 PM12/27/10

"Tutor" wrote in message

I do not expect the Jets to do well in the playoffs due to Mark Sanchez. I
hope I am wrong but that guy is just no good.

JetsLife

Dec 27, 2010, 5:25:21 PM12/27/10
On Dec 27, 5:16 pm, "RickyBobby" <nasca...@cox.net> wrote:
> "Tutor"  wrote in message

> On Dec 27, 3:17 pm, JetsLife <JetsL...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > What bunk when mediots say that. As if an offseason, preaseason and
> > season's worth of blood, sweat, tears and wins through the season
> > means nothing. No such thing as backing into the playoffs, for any
> > team. If you put yourself in position to get in via another team's
> > loss, it simply means you've earned the right to quality for the
> > playoffs.
>
> Trollspeak excluded, talk of "backing in" to the playoffs really
> reflects the fact that the Jets are playing well below playoff caliber
> now and are slipping into the playoffs on their successes earlier in
> the season.

You mean like that long-ago success in Pittsburgh a whole two weeks
ago?

Losing to Chicago by 4 on the road hardly indicts the Jets as not
playoff caliber. Giving up 38 points indicts the Jets defense as
currently not performing at playoff caliber, but one game in week 16
does not a final analysis make.

We'll see what happens once the playoffs roll around.

Tutor

Dec 27, 2010, 5:42:40 PM12/27/10
> We'll see what happens once the playoffs roll around.- Hide quoted text -

week 12, 13 and 15 --------> far from playoff caliber. Rex has 2
weeks to get this right. Period. Otherwise, talk will start about
making changes.

papa.carl44

Dec 27, 2010, 7:30:34 PM12/27/10

"John Vamp" <jvamp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Dec 27, 3:17 pm, JetsLife <JetsL...@aol.com> wrote:
> What bunk when mediots say that. As if an offseason, preaseason and
> season's worth of blood, sweat, tears and wins through the season
> means nothing. No such thing as backing into the playoffs, for any
> team. If you put yourself in position to get in via another team's
> loss, it simply means you've earned the right to quality for the
> playoffs.

Agreed. Though most people probably would rather get in by winning.

But any team that gets in did it by WINNING....those other games during the
season they won...this analysis that says they backed in to it is flat out
faulty....if they lost all but a couple games would they get in????? As
long as they want to have "playoffs" and make money off of it...every team
except one will back into it all, and every team that gets into the series
will do it because they WON enough games to be there. By the logic they
use, only an undefeated team would not "back into the playoffs"

papa.carl44

Dec 27, 2010, 7:32:14 PM12/27/10

"Tutor" <dcat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Dec 27, 3:17 pm, JetsLife <JetsL...@aol.com> wrote:
> What bunk when mediots say that. As if an offseason, preaseason and
> season's worth of blood, sweat, tears and wins through the season
> means nothing. No such thing as backing into the playoffs, for any
> team. If you put yourself in position to get in via another team's
> loss, it simply means you've earned the right to quality for the
> playoffs.

Trollspeak excluded, talk of "backing in" to the playoffs really
reflects the fact that the Jets are playing well below playoff caliber
now and are slipping into the playoffs on their successes earlier in
the season. My concern is that the team is undisciplined, lacking in
fundamentals and makes many mistakes in the form of an astounding
number of dropped passes, missed tackles and blown coverage. Add to
that the horrific offensive game plans and we have ourselves a
combination of factors that explains this slide.

Here we agree....they ARE playing below a standard to be in the
playoffs...but an entire division is playing below that standard too....I
don't see why any team from the NFC West should be in the playoffs......they
need to fix the format.

`·.¸¸.·´¯)RåvÑsfån @(¯`·.¸¸.·´

Dec 27, 2010, 7:52:06 PM12/27/10
"JetsLife" <Jets...@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]

The jets are not backing in the post season this year. Sure they had a weak
schedule and struggled big time against +.500 teams, but they did beat the
lesser teams as they should have.

Last season is a different story. The Jets did back into the playoffs beyond
their own merits and mostly as the result of the uncalculated misfortunes
(bad luck) of other teams and not their own on-field.accomplishments. There
are many fans beyond the jets circled bandwagons that found that to be the
case. The attempts to counter that again this season with the same lame
excuses are not necessary and only really make jets fans appear as wusses
and bawlers.

.¸¸.·´¯) D r e w (¯`·.¸¸.
RavNsfan ®

"user.speranza.aioe.org"
a free anonymous remailer used by welfare cheating
trailer park trash that post using the nicks of others

`·.¸¸.·´¯)RåvÑsfån @(¯`·.¸¸.·´

Dec 27, 2010, 7:54:35 PM12/27/10
"RickyBobby" <nasc...@cox.net> wrote in message

> "JetsLife" wrote in message
>
> What bunk when mediots say that. As if an offseason, preaseason and
> season's worth of blood, sweat, tears and wins through the season
> means nothing. No such thing as backing into the playoffs, for any
> team. If you put yourself in position to get in via another team's
> loss, it simply means you've earned the right to quality for the
> playoffs.
>

> I see your point, but lighten up. There is a figure of speech that says
> that an NFL team "backs" into the playoffs with a loss no matter if they
> have played fourteen games or fifteen games or all sixteen games.
>
> By the terms of NFL sportscasters, the Jets did back into the playoffs
> with a loss.

bullshit... did you hear the mediots say the same thing about the bungles or
the colts for laying down for the jets? More hypocrisy in that than irony.

John Vamp

Dec 27, 2010, 9:36:38 PM12/27/10
On Dec 27, 5:25 pm, JetsLife <JetsL...@aol.com> wrote:

I agree. But you have to admit, the Jets aren't playing well. Last 4
games:

- Lost 45-3 at New England
- Lost 10-6 at home vs. Miami
- Won 22-17 at Pittsburgh (very good win, but that *easily* could have
been a loss)
- Lost 38-34 at Chicago

They could very easily be 0-4 over that stretch. I know...ifs, ifs,
ifs. The point isn't that you take away that Pittsburgh win....but
rather that if you look at the big picture, the team is not playing
well.

Might not mean anything when they (most likely) visit Kansas City in
the first round of the playoffs. As you said, we'll see.

Still Roper

Dec 28, 2010, 12:14:00 AM12/28/10
On Dec 27, 3:17 pm, JetsLife <JetsL...@aol.com> wrote:

ya dont back into the playoffs with a full game left...the pundits are
just idiotic and statements like that prove it...

Harlan Lachman

Dec 28, 2010, 10:26:13 AM12/28/10
In article
<38c56dd1-0db3-432d...@o14g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
JetsLife <Jets...@aol.com> wrote:

You are wrong. So are the mediots.

If you require other teams to lose their last game or two to get in,
because you lose your last game or two, you backed in.

OTOH, this is only the 16th week of a 17 week season. We did not need
the Jags to lose to get in. We only needed them to lose to get in a week
early.