Stolen from ESPN (adam shefter blog)

Harlan Lachman

Aug 27, 2010, 1:16:52 PM8/27/10
Q: What are the contractual consequences if Darrelle Revis holds out an
entire season? Does he ever stop accumulating fines? I read that he has
already lost a year of service and changed his guaranteed money to
non-guaranteed. What other consequences would he face over the course of
the season? Entering a year with no CBA?
-- Jon (Boston)

A: Jon, we can discuss all the penalties and fines we want. But Revis
believes that the New York Jets, or somebody else, are going to give him
such a monstrous deal that it is going to completely nullify all the
fines and penalties he is now racking up by sitting out. Think about it:
If he had $2 million worth of fines from not playing this season -- or
whatever number you want -- and he signed a $120 million contract at
some point in the future, would those fines matter much? Not really.
That's what Revis is now banking on -- that his deal will be so large
that it gives him the time and leverage he needs right now.

------
Clearly Adam S is correct in assessing the reasons for Revis' behavior.

The only way to avoid other players using this approach is to not reward
him for his selfish, trying to hold the team hostage behavior.

If one thinks about it, with three years left on his contract at a very
affordable $21 million dollars, Revis has no leverage unless the Jets
give it to him.

Some teams trade such players (although I don't remember a player of
Revis' caliber getting traded with three years left on his contract).
But, it is unlikely that any team will pay Revis Qb money and give us
two number ones.

Why would anyone trade him for less?

Once again, I hope Revis retires as a Jet. Either after his previous
three seasons or after a reasonable contract that does not hurt our team
from a salary cap perspective or precedent setting perspective (i.e.,
rewarding his ignoring his obligation to his team and teammates).

But I don't want him getting anything what he wants.

Harlan

Johnny Morongo

Aug 27, 2010, 1:34:41 PM8/27/10

Ditto

Coach Lon

Aug 27, 2010, 2:26:04 PM8/27/10

I agree 100%. Revis should have accepted the deal as presented a
couple of weeks ago, making him a Jet for life. I still feel he will
come along and agree to the deal as presented, and join the team
before the end of the pre-season. However, he will never recoup the
money lost during this holdout, if it lasts a year or more. Even if
he gets the mega deal he thinks he's entitled to (which he won't),
that money will be lost and gone forever. Based on how most all
professional athletes handle their finances (8 in 10 go bankrupt), I
don't think Revis should sneeze at losing $2M. He really might need
it. I don't buy into this Revis had leverage argument either.
Simply, the Jets (or any other team) will not pay the ransom he is
demanding. Make the deal Darrelle, and stop fooling yourself-you're
not getting QB money.

MZ

Aug 27, 2010, 2:36:00 PM8/27/10

If I was Revis, I'd be negotiating right now to lop off year 6. The
Jets might go for that, then he only has to wait 2 years for free agency.

Anyway, I'd bet any amount of money that the primary motivator for these
guys who hold out comes from tampering. There's no doubt in my mind
that teams tamper (some have been caught). He's probably looking at a
big payday promised to him by some unnamed team. This may be his
reference point.

Michael

Aug 27, 2010, 3:11:19 PM8/27/10
> reference point.- Hide quoted text -

or may be he was affected by what happend to his friend leon...

Harlan Lachman

Aug 27, 2010, 3:38:31 PM8/27/10
In article <XO-dnWGVlPIMmOXR...@giganews.com>,
MZ <ma...@nospam.void> wrote:

Mark, if he opted to pay his fines and play for the $1 mil next year
something like $5 mil next year he is signed for, then I would add a
performance end to the third year, contingent on showing up at voluntary
and mandatory OTAs, no behavior problems on or off the field (as
determined by an arbiter).

But, this pig wants $16 mil per now. He denies he is bound by the
contract he and his agent negotiated.

No way he trades good behavior for a year off his deal - especially when
the year that comes off can be a $15 million per payday.

IOW, never happen.

It would be nuts to both pay him big bucks and shave a year off. The guy
is under contract.

harlan

MZ

Aug 27, 2010, 3:49:09 PM8/27/10

Yup. Seems like he's really taking the hard line here. If he's
unwilling to meet in the middle and get something -- ANYTHING -- out of
it, then he must be somewhat confident that the Jets will buckle. We'll
soon find out if his prediction is correct.

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit though. Maybe he's not thinking
things through. I still don't understand why he already showed up to
minicamp or whatever and then decided halfway through he didn't want to
be there. Doesn't seem like he has his act together. Look at someone
like Vincent Jackson or Logan Mankins, and those guys had a plan early
on and they've stuck to it. Revis has turned things into a media
sideshow in comparison.

papa.carl44

Aug 27, 2010, 7:45:59 PM8/27/10

"MZ" <ma...@nospam.void> wrote in message

First...I completely agree that the Jets should hold him to his
contract...only give him what they already offered. He is a selfish, greedy
pig...I don't care how freakin good he is...he will forever be a cancer to
any team process at some point, even when he looks like he is "back in the
fold"...guys who think like this can come around when they want
something...but they can never be trusted.

Second...I think Mark makes a good point...to me anyway, his behavior and
motivation seems to have been fuled by some incentives beyond his poor
business acumen...somebody is telling him they will give him what he wants
and all he has to do is get traded or get out of his deal with the
Jets....he probably thought he'd somehow use that bs as a tool to hold the
Jets hostage, and may now be realizing he can't use the "secret" "tampering"
promises.

These guys, along with the luxury box mentality have killed what was once a
good game. If you want a good read check out "Football In America" by Sal
Palantonio

Coach Lon

Aug 28, 2010, 11:02:55 AM8/28/10
On Aug 27, 7:45 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "MZ" <m...@nospam.void> wrote in message

> > Harlan Lachman wrote:
> >> In article <XO-dnWGVlPIMmOXRnZ2dnUVZ_hqdn...@giganews.com>,

I'll check that out Papa...thanks.

papa.carl44

Aug 28, 2010, 1:00:09 PM8/28/10

"Coach Lon" <coac...@gmail.com> wrote in message

My wife got it for me last Christmas. It's an interesting read and I'm sure
a lot of people would disagree with some of the stuff he points out.

papa.carl44

Aug 28, 2010, 1:03:10 PM8/28/10

"Coach Lon" <coac...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Hey, I just looked at the corner of my desk and realized I screwed the title
up...it's "How Football Explains America"....
here's a clip about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F0W15oqQ_A

Johnny Morongo

Aug 28, 2010, 2:53:07 PM8/28/10
On Aug 28, 10:03 am, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "Coach Lon" <coach...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the link Carl. Time well spent.

papa.carl44

Aug 28, 2010, 3:43:22 PM8/28/10

"Johnny Morongo" <j.mir...@harmonicconcordance.com> wrote in message

You are quite welcome. Several years ago I became very interested in this
topic. You can look at the growth of football and it mirrors the course of
social change in the country. The history if fascinating too. How many
folks do you think know why it's called a grid iron?

Johnny Morongo

Aug 29, 2010, 7:03:55 PM8/29/10
On Aug 28, 12:43 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>
wrote:
> "Johnny Morongo" <j.mireh...@harmonicconcordance.com> wrote in message
> > here's a clip about ithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F0W15oqQ_A

> Thanks for the link Carl.  Time well spent.
>
> You are quite welcome.  Several years ago I became very interested in this
> topic.  You can look at the growth of football and it mirrors the course of
> social change in the country.  The history if fascinating too.  How many
> folks do you think know why it's called a grid iron?

Not me! Do tell?

papa.carl44

Aug 29, 2010, 11:30:38 PM8/29/10

"Johnny Morongo" <j.mir...@harmonicconcordance.com> wrote in message

Not me! Do tell?

Iron workers and steel workers would play the game...they were building
stuff that and the field looked the same way, a grid. After they allowed
the forward pass some thought it was too easy a way to advance the ball, so
they added vertical lines along with the 5 yard horizontal ones...that made
it a real grid.....you could only pass the ball to an adjacent box on the
grid. I read this stuff quite a few years ago when I got to use the library
at Princeton U. That was not why I was there, but it did fill some
interesting time.

Johnny Morongo

Aug 30, 2010, 10:01:43 AM8/30/10
On Aug 29, 8:30 pm, "papa.carl44" <papadotc...@nospamverizon.net>

Thanks for the 411, Papa. Didn't know it. Here's to old PU.

papa.carl44

Aug 30, 2010, 2:16:58 PM8/30/10

"Johnny Morongo" <j.mir...@harmonicconcordance.com> wrote in message

I live near there....strange place....I feel like I should get a passport to
go into that town let alone on that campus. The library is awesome though.