What a difference a point makes.

Grinch

Sep 18, 2010, 3:26:52 AM9/18/10
Haven't been around lately, now that I look in I see a whole lot of
woe and gnashing of teeth about a 1-pt loss.

But a dozen plays in that game that could have gone another way, and
been worth that one pt or more.

For one, Greene's second fumble of the first half, on the Balt 24,
probably cost them at least a FG and let Balt go the full distance the
other way for a TD as time ran out in the first half -- probably a 10-
point swing right there.

If he doesn't fumble, and the rest of the game goes just as it did,
everyone here is beating their chest about how they put the Ravens
away with Big D and ball-control O, the way to win to a championship!
So don't let one 1-pt loss get you down too much,

Oh, well.... Speaking of young Green having the fumbles and dropsies,
if Rex is planning to win with the big running game as he's said so
often, being that it is an uncapped year, and the team is built to
"win now", wouldn't it be nice to have TJ still around to take a few
carries?

As to the O being so conservative, it is Rexy ball folks. C'mon. The
idea that Rex doesn't know what Schott is doing, and/or has no power
to control it .... it's the old sydrome: "Our Great Leader has nothing
to do with all the atrocities and injustices, it's his minions doing
it, he has no idea..." Nope, it was the Great Leader each and every
time. And it is Rex. He wants that safe conservative O, *no more* 4-
pick and 5-pick games by Sanchez, so the D can win. And it worked
last week, no picks by Sanchez!

Is it *too* conservative? I dunno. As conservative as it was, as
rinky-dink most of the pass attempts were, the kid was still only 10
of 21 for 74 yds and a rating of 56. Those numbers don't instill a
whole lot of confidence in the idea of him instead flinging the ball
all over.

The Ravens have a real good and aggressive D, and I imagine against
lesser Ds they'll give Sanchez more opportunities and he'll do
better. To some degree.

But face it, Sanchez is a project. They are going to be protecting
him all year. And they should. Objectively he is *bad*, a weakness on
this team. *The* weakness on this team. He has some real promise, he
may be good someday. But he is a baby, inexperienced and immature, and
they have thrown him in well before his time to take a "win now" team
to the Super Bowl.

Last year he was 28th in the league by NFL passer rating -- and 35th,
with negative numbers, in Footballoutsiders' ratings. *Bad.* Maybe
he's better this year, but he sure *hasn't shown it* yet. Not last
week, not on HBO that I saw ... and until he does, they'd better damn
well keep protecting him from trying too much.

So get used to it.

Johnny Morongo

Sep 18, 2010, 4:11:22 AM9/18/10

Although it's been said before, they're all valid points, G-man.

yoyodog

Sep 18, 2010, 9:58:40 AM9/18/10

"Grinch" <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Haven't been around lately, now that I look in I see a whole lot of
> woe and gnashing of teeth about a 1-pt loss.

From SNY"

Graziano: Jets must unshackle Sanchez
Quarterback, offense can't be afraid of making mistakes

http://tinyurl.com/29dlmgb

Best paragraph:

"Think about it. They did absolutely nothing on offense Monday, committed 14
penalties, converted one of 11 third downs, allowed the other team to
convert 11 of 19, and still only lost the game 10-9. The Jets' defense is a
monster, with or without Kris Jenkins, even on a night when it limits
Darrelle Revis to half the field (which the team is not likely to do again,
starting this week with Randy Moss)."