Tha Best Defense in the AFC East

Rajensen088

Jul 17, 2002, 5:16:56 PM7/17/02
Signing Josh Evans will give the Jets a dominant front seven. This is the best
Jet defense since 1968 when they were ranked 1st against the run and 3rd
against the pass. They also have a defensive coach the equal of the 1968 Jets
defensive coordinator... Buddy Ryan. Let the season begin.. (Is there enough
left to sign Antonio Freeman or Darnay Scott)
Bob Jensen

MuahMan

Jul 17, 2002, 5:23:51 PM7/17/02
LOL. This is some funny shit.

Jets 6-10 Dead Last in the AFC East. Curtis is still your running back (Mr
September) and Vinny is still throwing the rock.

"Rajensen088" <rajen...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message

JETSRULE02

Jul 17, 2002, 5:27:46 PM7/17/02

Rajensen088 <rajen...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message
> Signing Josh Evans will give the Jets a dominant front seven.

Potentially. I can't say that for sure until I see the Sam Cowart I remember
from Buffalo

> This is the best
> Jet defense since 1968 when they were ranked 1st against the run and 3rd
> against the pass.

It all certainly looks good on paper...

> They also have a defensive coach the equal of the 1968 Jets
> defensive coordinator... Buddy Ryan.

I'm not sure about that one. Buddy had a lot of shortcomings as a NFL Head
Coach. But he could coach a defense as well as anyone.

>Let the season begin..

>(Is there enough
> left to sign Antonio Freeman or Darnay Scott)

No, there isn't. And even if there were, the money would be better spent on
an insurance policy for the interior of the offensive line(Matt Campbell,
etc) in case Mawae takes longer than expected to return or Machado flops.

> Bob Jensen

WhyteStang

Jul 17, 2002, 6:29:45 PM7/17/02
The instant I read the headline i knew only Boob could of started this thread.

Wait till the season starts until you make these crazy claims. I honestly
doubt it will even be the second best defense in the division.

-FJ

JETSRULE02

Jul 17, 2002, 6:41:27 PM7/17/02

WhyteStang <whyte...@aol.comm> wrote in message

> The instant I read the headline i knew only Boob could of started this
thread.

> Wait till the season starts until you make these crazy claims.

Huh ? What do you think the off-season is for ?

WhyteStang

Jul 17, 2002, 7:00:46 PM7/17/02
>> Wait till the season starts until you make these crazy claims.
>
>Huh ? What do you think the off-season is for ?

Ok, maybe not claims.
But maybe wait at least one game before you start bragging about how great your
defense will be.

So does this mean the Jets won the "Best Offseason Defensive Division
Championship?"
Put that baby in the case along with the 2001 Offseason Championship trophy and
the 2002 Realignment Championship trophy.

Retard.

-FJ

Rajensen088

Jul 17, 2002, 7:16:37 PM7/17/02
>Subject: Re: Tha Best Defense in the AFC East
>From: whyte...@aol.comm (WhyteStang)
>Date: 7/17/02 6:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Don't like my opinion? Try dropping your Dolphin squeals on an unbiased
football analysts like Jason Smith of Fox Sports Radio. Since you are a
Dolphins fan I will have to repost your pathetic attempt at trash talk in the
Dolphins NG. Here's what Jason Smith (Fox Sporsts Radio) has to say about the
Jets:

NEW YORK JETS. Here’s why the Jets will win the division, and it’s simple.
They’ll have the best defense. I know it was a bloodletting this past
off-season, but they’ve upgraded at every position. Gone are Marcus Coleman,
whom 75-year old Jerry Rice used and abused during their playoff game, and
Aaron Glenn, who, while near a Pro Bowl level last season, is not the physical
corner head coach Herman Edwards wanted. In their places are Donnie Abraham and
Aaron Beasley, who fit the form to a T. In fact, Edwards wasn’t happy with
many of his defensive players, as he couldn’t implement his scheme last
season. So the changes continue. Sam Garnes replaces Victor Green. Damien
Robinson has another year under his belt. Sam Cowart is on board, James Farrior
is gone. There is depth on the defensive line, where there were just gaping
holes last year. Jason Ferguson is back. Steve White and Larry Webster will be
part of the DL rotation Edwards likes. And new DE Bryan Thomas is expected to
be the John Abraham of the other side of the line. No one else in the division
boasts this type of talent on the defensive side of the ball, not even the
Dolphins, who are close. Granted, a couple of the signings are gambles
(Cowart’s health and Webster’s drug problems), but all the signs point to a
monster year for the defense. The offense has already been dealt more than a
few blows, and the question surrounding the unit will be the health one.
They’ll replace two starters on an offensive line that was the best in the
league last season. G Dave Szott, signed to step in and start will miss the
year with a torn ACL. Kevin Mawae and Randy Thomas are hurting right now, so
the Jets desperately need them to get healthy. It may not happen until August.
Santana Moss is in the mix after missing most of his rookie campaign due to
injury, which will give Vinny Testaverde another weapon to go along with the
steady Wayne Chrebet and the emerging Laveranues Coles. But how will Testaverde
come back from off-season foot surgery? Is Chad Pennington ready? These would
be tougher questions if not for the presence of Curtis Martin, who will again
be the focal point of the offense, and will both lead the way and bail them
out. MY JUNE PREDICTION: 12-4, 1st place in the AFC East.

Bob Jensen

Rajensen088

Jul 17, 2002, 7:18:03 PM7/17/02
>Subject: Re: Tha Best Defense in the AFC East
>From: whyte...@aol.comm (WhyteStang)
>Date: 7/17/02 6:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time

You honestly doubt? Now that's funny coming from a Dolphin fan who never posts
in his own NG. You must be really upset at Jason Fox's opinion of the Dolphin
defense.

Bob Jensen

rt

Jul 17, 2002, 7:20:11 PM7/17/02
Best one yet, Boob!

You are the Offseason master!

Keep "keepin' it real"!

rt

rt

Jul 17, 2002, 7:39:35 PM7/17/02
Boob- what makes you think this idiot is unbiased? And why does every other
preseason scribe in print disagree with his mush??

I'll give you this: if Cowart is 90% or better the Jets will probably have
the best LB's in football. Hard to dispute that. But, unlike you, I have
watched Aaron Beasley play since he was a frosh in college... His best
days, which weren't great by any measure, are most definitely over. Donnie
lost his starting job (to who, Brian Kelly??!?) in Tampa and also may be on
the decline. Victor and Aaron will be missed, regardless of what spin you
swallow from the capscrewed Jets pr machine. Bryan Thomas "expected to be
the Abraham of the other side of the line"??? My sides are hurting!

12-4??????

Pleeezze....

rt

"Rajensen088" <rajen...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message

KordellsTumor

Jul 17, 2002, 7:53:34 PM7/17/02
>You honestly doubt? Now that's funny coming from a Dolphin fan who never
>posts
>in his own NG

Their just angry that Dumbo is having a hip replacement ! Holy crap the
dullphish blow !

WhyteStang

Jul 17, 2002, 8:44:04 PM7/17/02
>Now that's funny coming from a Dolphin fan who never posts
>in his own NG.

Check again on that one chode.

>You must be really upset at Jason Fox's opinion of the Dolphin
>defense.

Oh yes, it will keep me up all night tonight worrying about it. Please Boob.
This is a defense that has been near the top of the league for the past 5+
years.

You finding an article about someone that thinks the Jets are great doesnt make
it so. All over america there are writers that pick all kinds of teams.. im
sure there's someone out there thats calling the Brown's or Bengal's the next
champs.

So have fun with your claims. Well see what happens come game time.

-FJ

AllYou!

Jul 17, 2002, 8:52:45 PM7/17/02
From the standpoint of shear skill, it's hard to argue the Jets starting
front seven is the best in the AFC East. So I agree. Let the season begin
and see how they do with minimal depth and mediocre coaching.

KordellsTumor

Jul 17, 2002, 9:36:00 PM7/17/02
mediocre coaching ? Ted Cottrell ? Do you have half a brain ?

buster55

Jul 17, 2002, 9:56:03 PM7/17/02

"rt" <non...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Boob- what makes you think this idiot is unbiased? And why does every
other
> preseason scribe in print disagree with his mush??

Jensen's "unbiased" source writes for a Jets fan magazine.

buster55

Jul 17, 2002, 9:56:25 PM7/17/02

"Rajensen088" <rajen...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message

Who is Jason Fox?

> Bob Jensen

buster55

Jul 17, 2002, 9:57:30 PM7/17/02
But can they overcome the Worst Offense in the AFC East?

tutor

Jul 17, 2002, 10:20:25 PM7/17/02
buster55 wrote:

> But can they overcome the Worst Offense in the AFC East?

I don't see any team in the AFCE having a dominating offense. As
for the Jets, it all starts and ends at qb.

JETSRULE02

Jul 18, 2002, 3:25:03 AM7/18/02

AllYou! <ida...@conversent.net> wrote in message

> From the standpoint of shear skill, it's hard to argue the Jets starting
> front seven is the best in the AFC East. So I agree. Let the season
begin
> and see how they do with minimal depth and mediocre coaching.

The Jets don't have mediocre defensive coaching. Cotrell isn't outstanding,
but he's pretty good. Minimal depth ?

They just have 8 above average+ defensive lineman plus a talented rookie in
Alan Harper. If the Jets don't sustain any injuries, you're talking fresh
pass-rushers in the 4th quarter for nearly every game.

The Jets don't have "great" depth at LB. But their starters are among the
best in the league(if Cowart has a successful comeback). James Darling is a
good backup. And Jason Glenn has looked great in mini-camp.

We can debate back and forth on the Jets starting secondary. But the Jets do
have decent depth with Nick Ferguson, Jamie Henderson, Ray Mickens, and Jon
McGraw.

Glenn Greenstein

Jul 18, 2002, 9:12:42 AM7/18/02
You have to admit, it looks pretty good on paper if everyone is on the field

"WhyteStang" <whyte...@aol.comm> wrote in message

Glenn Greenstein

Jul 18, 2002, 9:17:39 AM7/18/02
Actually, the depth just got pretty good on the D-line with this signing

yoyodog

Jul 18, 2002, 9:28:30 AM7/18/02
With the complete D in place, and the fact that it looks like it could be
the best (on paper), I like our chances. Everyone agrees on the big IF
factor. IF Cowart stays healthy, IF Webster and Evans keep their noses
clean, IF Ferguson comes back to peak form, IF the secondary gels...

IF all these factors play out, we have a shot at going deep into the post
season.

I'm not overly concerned with the offense because as legendary Vince
Lombardi once said, "offense wins games, defense wins championships." A
point once again illustrated by the Ravens two years ago.

I'll take that over any *fluke* any time
--
yoyodog
--

"Glenn Greenstein" <glen.j...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Joe Strazzere

Jul 18, 2002, 2:04:13 PM7/18/02
rajen...@aol.comnojunk (Rajensen088) wrote in message news:<20020717171656...@mb-dd.aol.com>...

Could be pretty good.
Lots of risk in this defense, though.
Better to wait and see before getting quite so gushy I think.

The equal of Buddy Ryan? That's a funny one!

buster55

Jul 18, 2002, 7:25:48 PM7/18/02

"SAR I" <nos...@mail.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> First place! We're going to San Diego! Super Bowl!
>
> No fluke!
>
> SAR I

You are starting to remind me of the crowd in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

buster55

Jul 18, 2002, 7:33:05 PM7/18/02

"tutor" <tu...@nac.net> wrote in message news:3D3625E8...@nac.net...

I don't think there's a dominating offense either, but of the 4 remaining
teams in the division the Jets were probably 3rd on O. Since then Miami has
added a RB; the Patriots have added 2 WRs, a bunch of TEs (who might not be
great but will certainly perform better than those on the roster last year)
and an upgrade at one OL position; while the Bills have added 2 upgrades on
the OL, a WR and a huge upgrade at QB.

Meanwhile the Jets have lost 2 starters on the OL, seen one replacement for
those starters lost for the year, and have 2 more OL hurt before training
camp has even started. They've added no upgrades on Offense except to hope
that 2002 Santana Moss is better than 2001 Santana Moss. I believe he will
be better. The question is how much and will it be enough?

Oh yeah and the starting QB is one year older and coming off surgery.

Can the Jets win the division? Yup. But they are going to need the defense
to be dominant.

yoyodog

slats

Jul 19, 2002, 3:49:57 PM7/19/02
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:33:05 -0400, "buster55"
<bust...@email.msn.com> wrote:

>I don't think there's a dominating offense either, but of the 4 remaining
>teams in the division the Jets were probably 3rd on O. Since then Miami has
>added a RB; the Patriots have added 2 WRs, a bunch of TEs (who might not be
>great but will certainly perform better than those on the roster last year)
>and an upgrade at one OL position; while the Bills have added 2 upgrades on
>the OL, a WR and a huge upgrade at QB.

the jets were definitely a poor offensive team last year, but none of
the offenses look frightening in this division, and none of the moves
you mention make them much scarier.

the pats additions are negligible, and this year we start to find out
if brady is more kurt warner or jon kitna. you guys won the superbowl
on the strength of coaching, defense, and special teams. a formula the
jets appear ready to emulate themselves.

does a pat fan really think that drew bledsoe is a 'huge upgrade' for
anyone? the new & improved jet defense is designed to get after the qb
in a major way. vets evans and white both get after the qb, and draft
picks thomas and harper do as well. they better hope that their big
rookie tackle is up to the task early, because bledsoe's a sitting
duck back there.

miami combo of fiedler and williams has the potential to be the most
turnover prone offense in the nfl. fiedler's been useless against the
jets in the past, i don't expect that to change much this year.
especially with him missing a couple weeks of camp while learning a
new offense at the same time.

>Meanwhile the Jets have lost 2 starters on the OL, seen one replacement for
>those starters lost for the year, and have 2 more OL hurt before training
>camp has even started. They've added no upgrades on Offense except to hope
>that 2002 Santana Moss is better than 2001 Santana Moss. I believe he will
>be better. The question is how much and will it be enough?
>
>Oh yeah and the starting QB is one year older and coming off surgery.

no doubt that the biggest question mark on the jets is the o-line. i
hope they act fast to sign a veteran guard if muchado or goodwin
doesn't look to be up to the task in the first few days of camp. mawae
will be brought along slowly, but thomas will be ready for full
service from day one. i expect mckenzie to be an upgrade over young.

i'd say improvement on the 'o' depends mostly on the coaching. hackett
has to loosen up, be more aware in the heat of the battle, and that's
why they hired 'senior offensive assistant' jimmy raye. herm figures
to be more involved as well. when they first started learning this
offense, it was said that it would take two years to learn. they
should be in much better shape this year.

how they put the talent at hand to use is key. moss and jordan both
need bigger roles.

at qb, at least they've got pennington up to speed this offseason if
vinny can't get it done. qb is the second biggest question mark on
this team after the line.

>Can the Jets win the division? Yup. But they are going to need the defense
>to be dominant.

they haven't the talent on the field and the sidelines to create a
defense that can be dominant. santana moss returning punts adds
another dimension as well.

the jets won 10 games last year with the league's 24th ranked offense,
and 19th ranked defense. if they can get that defense up to the level
of 'dominant', and just get the offense up to middle of the pack, they
have as good -or better- chance as anyone to take this division.

-slats

buster55

Jul 19, 2002, 6:50:03 PM7/19/02

"slats" <sl...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:33:05 -0400, "buster55"
> <bust...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>
>> the jets were definitely a poor offensive team last year, but none of
> the offenses look frightening in this division, and none of the moves
> you mention make them much scarier.

Look I agree, none of the AFCE offenses are juggernauts, but that isn't the
point. Miami is definitely better than last year. NE is definitely better
than last year. The Bills are definitely better than last year. If you
look at it like an auto race, even if those improvements are minor, like 1
or 2 mph, they are improvements. Their lead over the jets stretch (or in
the case of Buff, they have at least caught up).

> the pats additions are negligible, and this year we start to find out
> if brady is more kurt warner or jon kitna.

That's one way to look at it. Sure you can say the league now has had a
year of looking at Brady and can defense him better. The other way to look
at it is that he is now in his 3rd year and 2nd as a starter. Conventional
wisdom says a QB is better in year 3 than year 2. For instance, do you
think Pennington is going to be better this year than last? Probably,
because he has another year under his belt. Why doesn't the same hold true
for Brady?

you guys won the superbowl
> on the strength of coaching, defense, and special teams. a formula the
> jets appear ready to emulate themselves.

And a precision passing game that complete 63% of their passes. Please
don't overlook that. The Pats passing game was not gamebreaking, but it
consistently moved the change, which is why their YPA was higher than the
Jets. There is no doubt that if the Jets want to make a serious run, they
are going to have to complete a better pct of passes than they did last
year. Whether coaching can make that improvement is arguable, what isn't
arguable is that the jets have not made any personnel improvements to effect
that improvement.

> does a pat fan really think that drew bledsoe is a 'huge upgrade' for
> anyone?

Over Alex Van Pelt? Yes.

the new & improved jet defense is designed to get after the qb
> in a major way. vets evans and white both get after the qb, and draft
> picks thomas and harper do as well.

The Jets DL is no doubt better than last year, and probably is now the best
in the division. Their LBers are very good as well. The question is the
secondary.

they better hope that their big
> rookie tackle is up to the task early, because bledsoe's a sitting
> duck back there.

They've also added a vet T too. Their OL is going to be better. Their WRs
are better. I still think their 4th in the division, but they won't be a
push over. A jets fan must surely know that.

> miami combo of fiedler and williams has the potential to be the most
> turnover prone offense in the nfl. fiedler's been useless against the
> jets in the past, i don't expect that to change much this year.

I am certainly no fan of Fiedler, but you know what? His numbers last
season weren't horrible. Statistically he was better than either the NYJ QB
or the Buff QB. Williams has to help the O, and I think Chris Chambers may
be a real stud this year.

> especially with him missing a couple weeks of camp while learning a
> new offense at the same time.

The missed time doesn't bother me as much as the injury itself does. A good
hit might make him have to miss some significant action.

> no doubt that the biggest question mark on the jets is the o-line. i
> hope they act fast to sign a veteran guard if muchado or goodwin
> doesn't look to be up to the task in the first few days of camp.

I read in TSN that a scout said that if they think Machado is a starting OL
in the NFL, they are mistaken. I don't know anything about Goodwin. For
all I know he could be a star or a bust.

mawae
> will be brought along slowly,

I expect Mawae to be ready come opening day, but like Fiedler, surgery is
never good.

but thomas will be ready for full
> service from day one.

Yeah I agree. I hear it's a minor thing. What about Fabini though? I've
heard conflicting reports about his shoulders.

i expect mckenzie to be an upgrade over young.

TSN also had a blurb that Young has looked great in Houston and that
McKenzie hasn't looked very good. He's young, it's early, but I couldn't
say for sure he's an upgrade.

> i'd say improvement on the 'o' depends mostly on the coaching. hackett
> has to loosen up, be more aware in the heat of the battle, and that's
> why they hired 'senior offensive assistant' jimmy raye. herm figures
> to be more involved as well. when they first started learning this
> offense, it was said that it would take two years to learn. they
> should be in much better shape this year.

Hackett's playcalling was pretty bad last year. But he isn't a rookie
coach. This is the way he calls a game, and I'm not sure you can say he'll
be better this year. He has been run out of previous coaching positions
before.

> how they put the talent at hand to use is key.

Well it will certainly be a factor plus or minus, but I guess I disagree
with your main point. In my view, they don't have enough talent period (on
O).

moss and jordan both
> need bigger roles.

Yeah but running wasn't a problem last season. Whether it's Martin, Martin
& Jordan combo, or just Jordan, the running will be fine. They need far
more production from the passing game. Moss definitely needs to step up.
He and Testaverde could be the biggest factors for the Jets.

> at qb, at least they've got pennington up to speed this offseason if
> vinny can't get it done. qb is the second biggest question mark on
> this team after the line.

Before the Jets drafted Pennington I had questions about his NFL abilities.
Of the last 20 or so QBs taken in the first round, he is the ONLY one who
hasn't started a game in his first 2 years. That says something to me. I
can't help but think that if he doesn't become the starter at some point
this year, he never will.

> >Can the Jets win the division? Yup. But they are going to need the
defense
> >to be dominant.
>
> they haven't the talent on the field and the sidelines to create a
> defense that can be dominant. santana moss returning punts adds
> another dimension as well.

Moss on PR is a major weapon. The D will get after people. If the
secondary is ok they could have the best D in the division. I think we need
to see a game or 2 though before we start making headers calling them the
best D though.

> the jets won 10 games last year with the league's 24th ranked offense,
> and 19th ranked defense. if they can get that defense up to the level
> of 'dominant', and just get the offense up to middle of the pack, they
> have as good -or better- chance as anyone to take this division.

I won't argue that at all. To me this division is wide open. If the Jets D
is dominant, and they run the ball like they have, the Jets will be right
there. I just don't know if we have enough evidence that they've gone from
19th to dominant though.

It's good talking football with you.

jupiter

Jul 19, 2002, 11:53:03 PM7/19/02
slats <sl...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<v6qgjukf81imu7r74...@4ax.com>...
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:33:05 -0400, "buster55"
> <bust...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>

> the pats additions are negligible, and this year we start to find out
> if brady is more kurt warner or jon kitna. you guys won the superbowl
> on the strength of coaching, defense, and special teams. a formula the
> jets appear ready to emulate themselves.

First of all adding a 6-4 WR (Hayes) and impact TEs is not a
negligable change for the offense. They added what they lacked last
year. Aside from the Oakland game, Wiggins did not produce at TE, and
we had no real number two behind Troy Brown. Now we do. That's going
to give the offense a lot more options in the red zone, for one thing.
Try playing offense with no TE production and no real number two WR
and see how far your team gets.

Aside from that I agree that the strengths of the team were the list
you mentioned. But that was because the offense lacked what they just
picked up in the draft and FA.

As far as Brady goes, so far nobody on the planet knows whether he's a
Montana or Kitna. Only one thing we know - Kitna never did what Brady
did in the Super Bowl. If that's a one year wonder, then worse things
have happened in this world. The Pats drafted Rohan Davey because
even they don't know what Brady will do next.

We also know he's a very quick reader of defenses and that won't
change. That only gets better with age.

We know he's a hard worker and has been very dilligent at improving
his game over the off season (again.) That can only be good.

We know he's well coached.

We know he's got poise and confidence up the yin yang.

We know he's the team's on field leader.

But will he excel again? Who the hell knows. I'd rather have him on
my team than not. Drew Bledsoe was not designed for the type of
offense they like to run. Brady was. He's on the same page as the HC
and OC, and I doubt that that can be a bad thing.

As far as I can see, each team in the AFCE has improved itself
noticeably and positively, at least in terms of talent. I don't see
much separating the teams now if Buffalo improves to an 8-8 status.
Each game will be hard fought, and there should be no dominant winner
of the division. Yet, whichever team wins the division should have at
least a 50-50 shot of showing up in San Diego.

slats

Jul 20, 2002, 2:44:11 PM7/20/02
On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:50:03 -0400, "buster55"
<bust...@email.msn.com> wrote:

>> the pats additions are negligible, and this year we start to find out
>> if brady is more kurt warner or jon kitna.
>
>That's one way to look at it. Sure you can say the league now has had a
>year of looking at Brady and can defense him better. The other way to look
>at it is that he is now in his 3rd year and 2nd as a starter. Conventional
>wisdom says a QB is better in year 3 than year 2. For instance, do you
>think Pennington is going to be better this year than last? Probably,
>because he has another year under his belt. Why doesn't the same hold true
>for Brady?

i don't want to come across as completely anti-brady, because i'm not.
when the jets drafted pennington, i had hoped that the team would take
a qb, but i never expected a 1st rounder. brady was a guy i liked
then.

it's hard to tell where he's heading right now, though. yes, he's in
his third year in the same system, his second as a starter, and you
certainly hope/expect a player to grow under those circumstances. but
last season, he trailed off statistically towards the end of the year,
and the pats won the superbowl on the improbable strength (?) of 3
offensive td's over the entire post season.

it doesn't seem to me that veteran wr's changing teams make too much
of splash right away, and donald hayes doesn't excite me all that much
anyway. it will be interesting to see what kind of offense they put
together with all those te's, though.

as for pennington, i just want to see him play. he's not going to
improve at all unless he does.

>the new & improved jet defense is designed to get after the qb
>> in a major way. vets evans and white both get after the qb, and draft
>> picks thomas and harper do as well.
>
>The Jets DL is no doubt better than last year, and probably is now the best
>in the division. Their LBers are very good as well. The question is the
>secondary.

i'm definitely of the school that the front seven makes the secondary,
and not the other way around. out of all the starters, beasley is the
only one i'm not real happy with. if the front guys are getting to the
qb the way they're expected to, the secondary should be fine.

the jets now have run stuffers to force the third & longs, and the
pass rushers to force the action on that third down. i don't want to
wave my pom-poms too much at this early juncture, but i'm excited to
see how this unit gels.

>> miami combo of fiedler and williams has the potential to be the most
>> turnover prone offense in the nfl. fiedler's been useless against the
>> jets in the past, i don't expect that to change much this year.
>

>I am certainly no fan of Fiedler, but you know what? His numbers last
>season weren't horrible. Statistically he was better than either the NYJ QB
>or the Buff QB. Williams has to help the O, and I think Chris Chambers may
>be a real stud this year.

i think chambers has the potential to be a great player, and i think
that williams is very overrated. fiedler has had some good games, but
none of them have occurred against the jets. he's been absolutely
miserable against the team he grew up rooting for. *that's* what i was
getting at there. with the additional pass rush that the jets should
bring this year, i don't expect his performances against the jets to
improve.

>TSN also had a blurb that Young has looked great in Houston and that
>McKenzie hasn't looked very good. He's young, it's early, but I couldn't
>say for sure he's an upgrade.

of course, i can't say 'for sure' either. the most encouraging thing
for me was their readiness to move mckenzie immediately to left tackle
(before szott's injury). that tells me a lot about how they feel about
him as a player, and influences my expectations accordingly.

>Hackett's playcalling was pretty bad last year. But he isn't a rookie
>coach. This is the way he calls a game, and I'm not sure you can say he'll
>be better this year. He has been run out of previous coaching positions
>before.

i'm no fan of hackett. i'm very pleased that edwards has publicly
stated that he will be more involved on the offensive side of the
ball, and i'm also glad that they brought in a 'senior assistant' who
was brought in to help manage game situations, where hackett was
extremely lacking last year.

i'm not saying that the jets will improve here. i'm *hoping* that they
do. how hackett deals with all the new input, and how the team's
developed in year II of the wco will be the difference makers. if
there are any.

>Moss on PR is a major weapon. The D will get after people. If the
>secondary is ok they could have the best D in the division. I think we need
>to see a game or 2 though before we start making headers calling them the
>best D though.

special teams have been a deciding factor for the last three superbowl
winners. too often, their impact is over-looked. moss on punt returns
could be a game breaking component for the jets, one that helps them
win games with their middle-of-the-pack (or worse) offense.

>> the jets won 10 games last year with the league's 24th ranked offense,
>> and 19th ranked defense. if they can get that defense up to the level
>> of 'dominant', and just get the offense up to middle of the pack, they
>> have as good -or better- chance as anyone to take this division.
>>

>I won't argue that at all. To me this division is wide open. If the Jets D
>is dominant, and they run the ball like they have, the Jets will be right
>there. I just don't know if we have enough evidence that they've gone from
>19th to dominant though.

certainly not! i'm looking forward to seeing if they are, though.
either way, they should be much better than 19th.

>It's good talking football with you.

oops, sorry. the pats suck! fluke! ;-)

-slats

buster55

Jul 21, 2002, 6:26:15 PM7/21/02

"yoyodog" <yoyod...@connarch.com> wrote in message

> It worked for the Ravens in 2000...
> --
> yoyodog
> --

Do you really think the Jets D is going to be anywhere near as dominant as
that D was?

The Ravens that year allowed 10.3 pts per game.
The Jets last year gave up 18.4. Cutting 8 pts per game isn't exactly easy.

The Ravens allowed 2.7 yards per carry.
Last year the Jets allowed 4.5 ypc. I don't expect the Jets to cut that in
half.

The Ravens allowed 5 rushing TDs.
The Jets allowed 15 last season. That would be a staggering improvement.

The Ravens allowed passers to complete 55.7% of the passes.
Last season the Jets allowed passers to complete an way too high 60.7%.

I'll buy that the Jets D will be better than last season (though it isn't a
sure thing by any means), but there is no way they'll make those kind of
improvements to be a "dominant D" like those Ravens.

Plus, even with all of that the Ravens needed a very good punt returner, a
QB who didn't make mistakes and a big play TE. DO the Jets have all of
those?

Glenn Greenstein

Jul 22, 2002, 9:48:31 AM7/22/02
I don't think the Jets will be as good as the Ravens D was but with just an
improvement in the run D to become a middle of the pack one, we could add a
few wins.

"buster55" <bust...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

Glenn Greenstein

Jul 22, 2002, 10:04:29 AM7/22/02

"buster55" <bust...@email.msn.com> wrote in message
On what are you basing Machado isn't a starter in the NFL. Young was out for
4 or 5 games last season. Guess who replaced him and the O line went along
as if nothing happened. Machado will be fine, McKenzie though doesn't make
me feel all warm and fuzzy.

buster55

Jul 22, 2002, 5:28:23 PM7/22/02

> On what are you basing Machado isn't a starter in the NFL. Young was out
for
> 4 or 5 games last season. Guess who replaced him and the O line went along
> as if nothing happened. Machado will be fine, McKenzie though doesn't make
> me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I'm not saying Machado won't be. I'm just saying that in The Sporting News
they had a quote from an NFL scout who said that if they thought Machado was
a starting NFL guard they were deluding themselves. I'll have to go look
through my recent copies to get the exact quote if you really want it.

Glenn Greenstein

Jul 23, 2002, 9:24:10 AM7/23/02
I hate playing semantics. Are you saying he isn't a starting NFL guard
because he was playing behind Young, or was it due to the quality of his
play that he could never be a starter.

"buster55" <bust...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

buster55

Jul 25, 2002, 7:39:30 PM7/25/02

> I hate playing semantics. Are you saying he isn't a starting NFL guard
> because he was playing behind Young, or was it due to the quality of his
> play that he could never be a starter.

The way it read to me was that he simply wasn't good enough to be a
competent starter. Sure, "starter" is a self-defining term: if a guy
starts, he is a starter. What the scout quoted in TSN was saying was that
he would be a below average starter. I don't know if that's true or not,
it's just what I read.

Glenn Greenstein

Jul 26, 2002, 8:59:42 AM7/26/02
Fair enough