Something ain't right

Señor Patriots

Oct 10, 2011, 1:20:25 PM10/10/11
"The Kansas City Chiefs overcame a 24-7 deficit to defeat Indianapolis
28-24. It marked the seventh time this season that a team trailed by
at least 17 points and came back to win the game. That is the most
through the first five weeks of any season in NFL history."

****
I just realized that when something exciting becomes commonplace it is
no longer so exciting. This is why I hate Arena Football, and I think
you can see where I'm headed stating that sentiment. Something is
going on with all the scoring, the offense, the shootouts, the wild
comebacks, and extreme records like Welker's yardage total and catch
total, and many other weird things. Has tackling suddenly become a
lost art in the NFL?

Now something sacred and totally exciting like a wild comeback is
nothing more than a whisper that tackling is no longer in vogue in the
NFL. Or something. Something weird going on with this stuff.

Shiiiiiiit, make some tackles guys. It really is part of the game.
Oh, I know the 13 year old girls with pink Sanchez or Brady ball caps
don't give a crap, but somebody out here called US (the guys who made
the sport possible by being fans when there were no white shoes or 2k
yards receiving possible) would like to see the real sport, not some
Arena impersonator.

I'm pissed off today, don't mind me. Really, I want to chew bark off
of a tree and spit it in the face of a politician. What about Roger
Goodell - does he count as a politician? Well he's in bed with the
TSA and the Cancer billionaires who never quite deliver on their
promises to cure cancer so what do you think?

MuahMan

Oct 10, 2011, 1:36:36 PM10/10/11
Take the Bills comeback against the Patriots. Down by 21. One of their
drives: 2 Plays 88 yards. 15 yards on a BS roughing the passer call,
then next play a 57 yard PI call, first and goal from the 1. TD. Bills
didn't earn it, it was given to them. It's happening all over the
league.

Yesterday. Patriots had a 3rd and 28. Brady lobbed it up there, PI.
1st Down.

Defense is no longer allowed. The NFL will be unwatchable in a couple
more years.

MZ

Oct 10, 2011, 1:49:12 PM10/10/11
On Oct 10, 1:20 pm, Señor Patriots <roamin...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Might have something to do with the shortened offseason. A lot of
time is spent on fundamentals (like tackling) in the minicamps.

Percy Flage

Oct 10, 2011, 2:10:06 PM10/10/11
On 10/10/2011 18:49, MZ wrote:

... 'cos it's the first season in the league for most of these guys. The
lockout didn't make these guys forget how to tackle.

--
Percy Flage
"Life is too short to have to explain everyday."

MZ

Oct 10, 2011, 2:39:12 PM10/10/11
On Oct 10, 2:10 pm, Percy Flage

Why do they spend so much time working on it in the offseason?

Ray O'Hara

Oct 10, 2011, 4:31:04 PM10/10/11

"Señor Patriots" <roam...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "The Kansas City Chiefs overcame a 24-7 deficit to defeat Indianapolis
> 28-24. It marked the seventh time this season that a team trailed by
> at least 17 points and came back to win the game. That is the most
> through the first five weeks of any season in NFL history."
>
> ****

teams start the prevent defense and trying to sit on the ball on offense and
they lose the verve they had early in the game.

Message has been deleted

Percy Flage

Oct 10, 2011, 5:36:15 PM10/10/11

You'd have thought, with a shorter offseason, they'd have remembered.

MZ

Oct 10, 2011, 5:46:04 PM10/10/11
On Oct 10, 5:36 pm, Percy Flage

<percy.flage_REM@OVE_ianwhitephoto.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 19:39, MZ wrote:
>
> > On Oct 10, 2:10 pm, Percy Flage
> > <percy.flage_REM@OVE_ianwhitephoto.co.uk>  wrote:

> >> ... 'cos it's the first season in the league for most of these guys. The
> >> lockout didn't make these guys forget how to tackle.
>
> > Why do they spend so much time working on it in the offseason?
>
> You'd have thought, with a shorter offseason, they'd have remembered.

Haha I don't think it's a matter of remembering. I think it has more
to do with getting reps, getting on the same page, and refining one's
technique.

Papa Carl

Oct 10, 2011, 7:03:14 PM10/10/11

"Percy Flage" <percy.flage_REM@OVE_ianwhitephoto.co.uk> wrote in message

The way these guys have been tackling for their entire football lives is not
longer allowed....everything they learned is now forbidden....maybe that has
a lot to do with it.

Señor Patriots

Oct 10, 2011, 8:52:35 PM10/10/11
On Oct 10, 4:31 pm, buRford <buRf...@buR.ford.com> wrote:

> Also, the thing with not practicing in pads.  The only time they'e allowed to hit, is in a
> game... and the refs call so many ticky-tack penalties *protecting* others, that the
> players are playing on egg-shell turf.  Hard to play with abandon, when yer processing a
> laundry list of don'ts in yer brain ;)
Somebody on either Mike and Mike or Cowherd said basically the same
thing - no real tackling in practice any more. I was floored. I
could not believe it. It's true - they want to limit injuries. I can
see that there is basically a lack of good tackling and that this
could contribute to offenses just running wild.

Jack Youngblood basically said that there isn't very good fundamentals
in the sport on defense right now. He said guys don't tackle well -
they would rather just lead with the shoulder instead of wrapping up.
He said guys leave their feet all the time and that is not good
tackling. I would assume that's because with feet planted you can
stop more momentum or force than if your are flying through the air.

Last year Meriweather made the probowl by hook and by crook because
that guy doesn't tackle well. He likes to launch himself to get on
ESPN I guess. It's not sound football. Forget the highlight films,
it's just not sound football and ESPN should stop rewarding guys for
playing crap football and teaching kids how to play crap football.

Señor Patriots

Oct 10, 2011, 8:56:24 PM10/10/11
On Oct 10, 4:46 pm, MZ <for...@mdz.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Haha I don't think it's a matter of remembering.  I think it has more
> to do with getting reps, getting on the same page, and refining one's
> technique.

Who was that Miami safety who whiffed on Welker? Terrible tackling,
stiff arm or no stiff arm.

I'd like to see these guys try to tackle an Earl Campbell.

Papa Carl

Oct 10, 2011, 9:58:36 PM10/10/11

"Señor Patriots" <roam...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
You can not play the game now the way Youngblood or any of the older guys
did...it is against the rules...you can not even begin to really tackle and
the rules have forced a lot of arm tackling because it is impossible to
"aim" with you shoulder, not get any part of the helmet into it and not wind
up arm tackling...that is absolutely a fact...only if the angle is perfect
can you make a good hit now.

Señor Patriots

Oct 10, 2011, 10:23:28 PM10/10/11
On Oct 10, 8:58 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:

> You can not play the game now the way Youngblood or any of the older guys
> did...it is against the rules...you can not even begin to really tackle and
> the rules have forced a lot of arm tackling because it is impossible to
> "aim" with you shoulder, not get any part of the helmet into it and not wind
> up arm tackling...that is absolutely a fact...only if the angle is perfect
> can you make a good hit now.
Well, I'm not sure exactly what you are saying.

Papa Carl

Oct 11, 2011, 12:21:20 AM10/11/11

"Se�or Patriots" <roam...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ask anyone who played the game for any period of time before the last couple
of years. Tackling was always to put your face into the center of the
midsection...you DID lead with your head and helmet. The teaching for
decades was to do it that way with a bulled neck to NOT get yourself hurt.
The new rules say you have to lead with your shoulder and keep the helmet
out of it...that only works at a very good angle and if the runner is not
moving too quickly. Tonight in the Bears Lions game Urlacher made a great
hit...and got called for leading with his helmet...it was his shoulder but a
square shoulder...done right because the angle worked for him...he got a
flag because they want to see arm tackles...that is what you don't get
flagged about...and even then, a horse collar gets a flag...the rules are
taking the defense out of the game....now, you "drag" a guy down...it is a
very different game now.

Mattu

Oct 11, 2011, 2:27:51 AM10/11/11
It's that combined with the Offense knowing what the play is and the Defense reacting to it. Since teams defenses haven't been able to jell as a unit their reaction times are slower which in-turn doesn't put them in the best position to tackle or defend a pass etc. Combine that with what's been mentioned concerning reduced practices with pads and prevention of previously allowed techniques for taking down a ball carrier and you have what the NFL wanted all along, higher scoring (translation to them: more exciting) games.

I'm guessing as the weather changes and the D catches up, we'll see stats return to something resembling the norm.

Dean McEwen Jr

Oct 11, 2011, 3:13:15 AM10/11/11
It's Roger Goodell style football, or pussyball as I like to call it.
The owners must want it this way too, since they voted Goodell in as the
commish. However, i'm not sure they knew he was gonna do this shit. They
need to get together and vote his ass out. The fans should start a 'get
rid of Goodell' movement. I hate Roger Goodell, he's destroying the hard
hittin' game I/we love.

Message has been deleted

Papa Carl

Oct 11, 2011, 1:05:03 PM10/11/11

"John C TX" <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Se or Patriots" <roamin...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Papa, as you know I partially disagree with your feelings on using
your shoulder. If it is straight on tackle or the defender coming in
on an angle you can do it & do it effectively & it is much safer
through less concussions & less spinal injuries. Your conclusion on
fear of using the helmet has lead to poor tackling is very observant &
why we keep you around.

I don't get why they added more language to the rules. If a guy leads
with his head like Merriwether did last year or Dunta Robinson has
done several times now everyone knows that is a penalty. It is like
the old line by the justice on porn. He can't define it but knows it
when he sees it. I really find it idiotic when they sack the QB going
in safely for the tackler with his grill in the number & as they go
down his helmets slides into the QB's grill & they call a penalty.

YOU keep me around?????? That is precisely why I can't stand Republicans
:-) I'll hang around as long as I can tolerate you :-) Now...on the rules
we agree....the thing should only be about a guy putting his head down and
launching himself at the head of the ball carrier or QB. Spearing was a
rule for a long time...and it did not always get enforced. And...with turf
and a harder surface and guys moving so much faster a lot of things began to
change. One big piece of it is they are so much bigger. That is out of
control...I refuse to believe they really monitor chemical enhancement at
any level of the game. So bigger faster and stronger does a lot to chance
it. The protection of the QB is selective too...watch Vick play...he gets
his ass kicked and no flags as a rule. What you are indicating is a
judgement by the official to judge intent I guess. Sometimes it looks like
they want to kill the guy and take a really cheap shot when a solid tackle
would do the job. Other times it is just football. But I don't know how in
the Hell you play this game and not have "helmet to helmet"....it is all
judgement. Want to change it...go back to no use of hands or arms on
offense to block.....get rid of all the pass friendly rules.....make the
game get "lower" again...not all this stand up crap and wrestle. That will
bring the game back to a controllable place. They let too much go and now
they have a huge issue.

Message has been deleted

Señor Patriots

Oct 12, 2011, 2:37:45 AM10/12/11
On Oct 11, 12:05 pm, "Papa Carl" <papa.c...@verizon.net> wrote:

> YOU keep me around??????  That is precisely why I can't stand Republicans

My real identity is actually Herman Cain. Have I reminded you yet
that those pussies down at Occupy Wall Street should thank the Lord
that they live in the US of A and go get a job?

And don't tell me there are no jobs because the Streeters sucked the
oxygen out of the economy. That's an excuse for lazy asses who want
to smoke pot and be pimples on the ass of progress on Wall Street.

I hope you were duly inspired by me self-reliance thing. Please vote
for me so that I can remind you for four years that this whole mess is
actually your fault.

Señor Patriots

Oct 12, 2011, 2:51:58 AM10/12/11
On Oct 11, 1:57 pm, je.s.t...@hehxduhmp.org wrote:

> In alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots MuahMan <muah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Defense is no longer allowed. The NFL will be unwatchable in a couple
> > more years.
>
> This.  You can't even look at a QB funny nor get within 5 yards of a WR,
> of course there'll be lots of points.

I think one rule that needs to be reversed is the limit on contact
with receivers. Who the hell are they? They are vulnerable on
certain routes so I guess they just wouldn't run those routes, and
they wouldn't catch 160 balls a year. I think we can live with that.

Eliminating the ticky tacky contact penalties down the field would be
a big help.

Horse collaring: Allowable? I lean toward yes.

Face masking: Allowable? I lean toward no. To me that steps over a
line where the defense has an unfair advantage and can deliver career
ending injuries without even using skill to get the job done. To me
that's like cage fighting instead of boxing and boxing is plenty
violent enough.

Papa Carl

Oct 12, 2011, 9:56:39 AM10/12/11

"Señor Patriots" <roam...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Horse collar...NO....before you say that, go put on a pair of pads, run very
hard and let someone do it to you. That can cause some serious lower leg
injuries and back injuries because it snaps the body into a position it
should not be in and at a speed and dangerous force....not a good
thing...what is funny, back in the day you would catch Hell for even doing
it because it was a lousy tackle it became the problem it did only because
of all the other stuff that evolved.

Ray O'Hara

Oct 12, 2011, 10:33:38 AM10/12/11

"Papa Carl" <papa...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Horse collaring: Allowable? I lean toward yes.
>
> Face masking: Allowable? I lean toward no. To me that steps over a
> line where the defense has an unfair advantage and can deliver career
> ending injuries without even using skill to get the job done. To me
> that's like cage fighting instead of boxing and boxing is plenty
> violent enough.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Horse collar...NO....before you say that, go put on a pair of pads, run
> very hard and let someone do it to you. That can cause some serious lower
> leg injuries and back injuries because it snaps the body into a position
> it should not be in and at a speed and dangerous force....not a good
> thing...what is funny, back in the day you would catch Hell for even doing
> it because it was a lousy tackle it became the problem it did only because
> of all the other stuff that evolved.

yes horse collars should be illegal. its dangerous.

and go back to the old rules of contact is okay until the ball is in the air

and blocking in the back above the waist should be okay. too many kick
returns are nulified by cheap calls.

a lot though isn't the rules its the referees using bad judgement. too many
seemingly legal hits are flagged, a rusher is committed to the hit and the
ball is thrown a second before it and a flagg comes out. too often that is
bullshit.

Harlan Lachman

Oct 16, 2011, 11:52:14 AM10/16/11
In article
<b1c6e747-59e7-4ea5...@g23g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>,
It would seem to an ignorant person that pads could be designed to
prevent horse collar tackles by beveling their edges so they could not
be grabbed.