Mother Released From Jail. Her Crime? School Choice!

mr dude@harvarduniversity.edu

Jan 31, 2011, 10:15:10 PM1/31/11
This Wednesday morning at 10 am, after serving nine days of a 10-day
sentence, Kelley Williams-Bolar was released from the Summit County
Jail in Akron, Ohio. Her crime? Trying to provide her two daughters
with a better education. How on earth did trying to provide your
children with a better education became a crime in the United States?
Because the political party that currently occupies the White House is
completely dependent on the power of education unions, and these
unions see all efforts to shift power away from them, and to parents
like Williams-Bolar, as a threat to their very existence. The case of
Williams-Bolar is a perfect opportunity for the left to stop and
reconsider their war on school choice.

Before January 15, Williams-Bolar had no criminal record. She lived in
an Akron housing project with her two daughters, worked as a teaching
assistant at Buchtel High School, and was going to college to further
her own education career. Like any parent, Williams-Bolar wanted to
give her children the best education possible. But the grade 6 reading
and math scores of students in the Akron City School District are
almost 30 points lower than those in neighboring Copley-Fairlawn City
School District. While Ohio does allow school choice intradistrict,
Copley-Fairlawn does not offer open enrollment to children who live in
the Akron City School District. Ohio also offers private-school-
tuition scholarships to students in Cleveland, but that program is not
available to children in Akron.

So starting in August 2006, Williams-Bolar signed forms claiming her
two daughters lived at their father’s address in the Copley-Fairlawn
School District. Two years later the Copley-Fairlawn School District
hired a private investigator who shot video of Williams-Bolar driving
her children from their home in the Akron City School District to a
school in their district. “It does not matter if, when she started the
lie in 2006, she didn’t know she was going to get caught,” Summit
County prosecutor Michael Cody yelled in his closing argument.

While Williams-Bolar went to jail for practicing school choice,
leaders of the Democratic Party practice it themselves every day.
Growing up in Chicago, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan attended a
private school. Later as Chicago Public Schools chief, Duncan
maintained a list of requests from the politically connected for their
children to attend the schools of their choice. In the 111th Congress,
44 percent of Senators and 36 percent of Representatives had at one
time sent their children to private school.

mr dude (I don't need no fancy book learnin')

eric

Feb 1, 2011, 1:14:43 PM2/1/11
On Jan 31, 10:15 pm, "mr d...@harvarduniversity.edu"
<foster...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How on earth did trying to provide your
> children with a better education became a crime in the United States?

Probably some Republicans living in affluent suburbs passed town or
county ordinances prohibiting open enrolment so they wouldn't have to
have students from the projects in the same classes as their kids.

Some states, Minnesota (full of Democrats) for example, have state-
wide open enrolment. It's really a state/local decision, and has
nothing to do with a national policy like the stupid article tried to
imply.

mr dude@harvarduniversity.edu

Feb 2, 2011, 11:26:00 PM2/2/11
On Feb 1, 1:14 pm, eric <warth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 10:15 pm, "mr d...@harvarduniversity.edu"
>
> <foster...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How on earth did trying to provide your
> > children with a better education became a crime in the United States?
>
> Probably some Republicans living in affluent suburbs

Ohhhh puuulleeaasee!

This is a HUGE Liberal district!!!

They were pissed because the Lib "teachers" didn't have total control
of the Liberal agenda!!!

Do the work before you post!

mr dude