Name Three Things That Grow Uncontrollably, *Until They Kill Their Hosts: Cancer, Entitlements, Unions

mr dude@harvarduniversity.edu

Feb 24, 2011, 8:49:25 PM2/24/11
Question ---- WHY are there no unions in . . .any LAW FIRMS in the US,
including those firms that represent unions in collective bargaining?
After all, who says that the secretaries (and other support staff) are
being paid a fair wage and receiving adequate benefits?

The Firm's Partners (CEOs)?? Well, why trust these law partners to
adequately share the firm's wealth/earnings with the workers any more
than we should trust Corporate CEO's to do the same? Why don't law
firms permit their employees to unionize, especially those firms that
represent unions? Answer: they are hypocrites.

My guess is that the majority of lawyers in the US are liberals/Dems.
The ABA and lawyer lobbies support, primarily, the Dems and liberal
causes. . .except, I suppose, when it comes to their own pocketbook.

mr dude

eric

Feb 25, 2011, 8:20:59 PM2/25/11

Nice try but unions have been shrinking, not growing.

mr dude@harvarduniversity.edu

Feb 25, 2011, 10:21:12 PM2/25/11
On Feb 25, 8:20 pm, eric <warth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice try but unions have been shrinking, not growing.

Because after they kill their hosts, they themselves die.

mr dude

eric

Feb 27, 2011, 9:49:53 AM2/27/11
On Feb 25, 10:21 pm, "mr d...@harvarduniversity.edu"

Their hosts aren't dead at all. Government, for example has been
growing robustly.

Kurgan Gringioni

Mar 6, 2011, 1:13:19 AM3/6/11

"eric" <wart...@gmail.com> wrote in message

That's a problem.

Unlike the private sector, when government gets inefficient, it doesn't go
out of business, not until it's so inefficient that it kills off the private
sector too.

eric

Mar 7, 2011, 12:08:04 PM3/7/11
On Mar 6, 1:13 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "eric" <warth...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I've heard that theory a lot, and it makes some intuitive sense.
However I'm wondering if you have an actual example where this has
happened in the real world?

Kurgan Gringioni

Mar 8, 2011, 7:42:58 PM3/8/11

"eric" <wart...@gmail.com> wrote in message

When it happens, a government falls.

Kurgan Gringioni

Mar 9, 2011, 2:56:20 AM3/9/11

"eric" <wart...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The best example is the collapse of the Soviet Union (although they had no
private sector).

eric

Mar 9, 2011, 2:04:34 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 2:56 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "eric" <warth...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Mar 6, 1:13 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > "eric" <warth...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Feb 25, 10:21 pm, "mr d...@harvarduniversity.edu"
>
> > <foster...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Because after they kill their hosts, they themselves die.
>
> > > mr dude
>
> > :: Their hosts aren't dead at all. Government, for example has been
> > :: growing robustly.
>
> > That's a problem.
>
> > Unlike the private sector, when government gets inefficient, it doesn't go
> > out of business, not until it's so inefficient that it kills off the
> > private
> > sector too.
>
> :: I've heard that theory a lot, and it makes some intuitive sense.
> :: However I'm wondering if you have an actual example where this has
> :: happened in the real world?
>
> The best example is the collapse of the Soviet Union (although they had no
> private sector).

All they had was a military sector. As you say they never had a
private sector to kill off, so they aren't much of an example.

Size of government in capitalist democracies is generally self-
limiting because when things get overbearing a consensus arises to
shrink the public sector. Look at European politics - you can see that
cycle happen over and over.

I can't really think of a good example where there was actually a
collapse of such a government due to economic failure. Maybe the
Weimar Republic, but they had ruinous war reparations and tremendous
political instability inherited from WWI.

mr dude@harvarduniversity.edu

Mar 9, 2011, 7:34:15 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 2:04 pm, eric <warth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't really think of a good example where there was actually a
> collapse of such a government due to economic failure.

Detroit pre-bail out.

mr dude

Kurgan Gringioni

Mar 14, 2011, 11:13:38 PM3/14/11

> :: I've heard that theory a lot, and it makes some intuitive sense.
> :: However I'm wondering if you have an actual example where this has
> :: happened in the real world?
>
> The best example is the collapse of the Soviet Union (although they had no
> private sector).

::All they had was a military sector. As you say they never had a
::private sector to kill off, so they aren't much of an example.

That is not true. The Soviet military took up 20% of their GDP.

That's still a big chunk though. During much of the Cold War, military
spending in the US was about 6% of GDP.