Someone explain this to me....

SOMLAW

Sep 20, 2005, 12:59:41 PM9/20/05
Ladt night I was watching the Saints/Giants game. A Saints reciever was
running towards the goal line (Joe Horn, IIRC) with the ball. He was
tackled around the 1 or 2 yard line. Before he went down, he stretched
out and attempted to break the plane with the ball for the TD. When he
did that, the ball came loose (he was still in bounds) and hit the
pie-line (that orange stick), and the ball went out of bounds.

The referees called it a touchback and the Giants got the ball on the
20.

What the heck? Why isn't it Saints ball on the 1 yard line?

Why is this a touchback? How can they justify that the ball goes back
to the other Giants? How can the Giants get possesion without ever
having touched the ball?

It blew the over/under, so I am pissed!

Longshot

Sep 20, 2005, 1:02:40 PM9/20/05
if the ball went out of bounds before the pylon it would be siants ball on
the one. if it went out of bounds in the endzone, it is a touchback. it's a
fucked up rule, but has always been that way

"SOMLAW" <bakal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

John M

Sep 20, 2005, 1:28:08 PM9/20/05
SOMLAW wrote:

>When he
>did that, the ball came loose (he was still in bounds) and hit the
>pie-line (that orange stick), and the ball went out of bounds.

LOL @ pie-line :) That's classic!

SOMLAW

Sep 20, 2005, 2:17:40 PM9/20/05
I didnt know the spelling, so I sounded it out.

American Jesus

Sep 20, 2005, 3:12:34 PM9/20/05

Longshot wrote:
> if the ball went out of bounds before the pylon it would be siants ball on
> the one. if it went out of bounds in the endzone, it is a touchback. it's a
> fucked up rule, but has always been that way

And to finish the thought, touching the pylon = out of bounds in the
endzone. Same thing happened in the BC-FSU game. Jesus.

Glenn Greenstein

Sep 20, 2005, 3:41:17 PM9/20/05

"American Jesus" <jelar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I'm pretty sure the pylon is in the endzone, not outside of it.

Rich Carreiro

Sep 20, 2005, 4:40:18 PM9/20/05
"Glenn Greenstein" <glen.j...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> I'm pretty sure the pylon is in the endzone, not outside of it.

It is. If you look closely, you'll see the two pylons closest to the
goal line are placed at the inside corners of the intersection of the
goal line and the sideline:

---------GL---------
|X <--- pylon

SL

--
Rich Carreiro rlc...@animato.arlington.ma.us

testy

Sep 20, 2005, 5:21:49 PM9/20/05

> I didnt know the spelling, so I sounded it out.

Hooked on phonix werks for me! :)

ray o'hara

Sep 20, 2005, 8:15:18 PM9/20/05

"American Jesus" <jelar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

the pylon is inbounds touching it is a touchdown. or if you fumble like the
offencive guy did , a touchback..

Erdoboy

Sep 20, 2005, 9:00:58 PM9/20/05
The word is pylon

It isn't a LINE.

pie-line is something that Homer Simpson would be involved in.

--
Erdoboy
Osaka, Japan

"John M" <nob...@ihatespam.com> wrote in message