Another Guess

euph...@mindspring.com

Mar 28, 2017, 2:48:36 PM3/28/17
So here is a generic list of the projected top draft picks (round 1). Never mind which team is currently expected to draft that player. The question is: Do you think Miami's #22 pick is almost certainly in this list?

I think the name is among those with the asterisk* and this assumes someone probably slips.

You make your own guess.

Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama
Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
Jamal Adams, S, LSU
Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin
Jabrill Peppers, LB, Michigan*
Chris Wormley, DL, Michigan
Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU*
Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri*
Forrest Lamp, OL, Western Kentucky*
Dawuane Smoot, DE, Illinois
Teez Tabor, CB, Florida* <=== #22
O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
David Njoku, TE, Miami
Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana
John Ross, WR, Washington
Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
Takkarist McKinley, DE, UCLA
Tim Williams, LB, Alabama

J Lunis

Mar 28, 2017, 3:50:13 PM3/28/17
Don't think it will be Lamp, Tabor, or White. Most likely we're looking
at LB/DE. But, yup, the name is on the list. If not, Miami 'overpaid"
for the pick. And I think someone WILL fall. Happens every year.

Stu Gotts

Mar 29, 2017, 11:53:00 AM3/29/17
I think their pick is on the list... and likely to be a DE. They've already addressed LB (and may still add another FA)... using a 1st round pick on a guard isn't too common, so perhaps not Lamp... and CB doesn't seem as pressing a need atm.

That said... I believe that if someone special slides... they'll take advantage of the opportunity and go BPA regardless of position.

euph...@mindspring.com

Mar 29, 2017, 1:26:36 PM3/29/17
I'm going to suggest that the two QB's that show in the top 12 of that list would not be BPA options... not even at 22. Any other position, yeah... a slide could easily inspire Tannenbaum.

euph...@mindspring.com

Mar 29, 2017, 2:05:44 PM3/29/17
Adding to my original post... While reading at lunch, I see this article about "Which player has improved his draft stock the most since the season ended?"

The writer polled five NFL executives.

Here are their answers.

Executive 1: Washington CB Kevin King
"Kevin King's height, length and ball skills show up on tape, but he was even better at the combine. He owned that event. It's hard to find corners with that combination of length and movement ability."

Executive 2: Temple LB Haason Reddick
"Reddick blew up the Senior Bowl and the combine. He showed his versatility to be used in a variety of roles. I'd say Kevin King was a close second."

Executive 3: King
"Kevin King is going to go in the first round. He killed it at the combine and his pro day was unbelievably impressive."

Executive 4: Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey
"McCaffrey really helped himself. He ran fast and showed there isn't anything he can't do for an offense."

Executive 5: Ole Miss TE Evan Engram
"He answered every concern people had about him. People questioned his blocking in the fall. Well, he goes to the Senior Bowl and shows tremendous improvement. Any questions about route running and speed were answered (at the combine). He's quietly put together the best spring of any prospect in the draft."

Writer's Conclusion: This is a good list of players. I think Reddick and King are both locks to go in the first round, and Engram has entered into the discussion. At worst, I think we'll see him go in the top 40 picks. One other player I'd throw in the mix: Kansas State edge rusher Jordan Willis. His combine testing was off the charts. He really boosted his stock following a very productive college career. I'd be very surprised if McCaffrey doesn't land in the top 20 of this draft. He is likely to be the second running back off the board.

===============

I think that means CB Kevin King absolutely belongs on Miami's list at #22. He wasn't even in the Top 32 when that original list was created.

J Lunis

Mar 29, 2017, 3:54:11 PM3/29/17
JMHO, R1 will be DE/LB with a small chance of DT. Excluding a drop by
Lamp (and I doubt Miami takes him anyway), that's it.

euph...@mindspring.com

Mar 29, 2017, 9:59:13 PM3/29/17
Ohhhh I don't know.... I think CB is a real possibility.

euph...@mindspring.com

Mar 30, 2017, 9:04:20 AM3/30/17

Stu Gotts

Mar 30, 2017, 11:30:31 AM3/30/17
On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 9:04:20 AM UTC-4, euph...@mindspring.com wrote:

> So, add Malik McDowell's name to the list...
>
> http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article141528159.html#navlink=Lead

I view this as doing their due diligence work. If, while sitting @ 22, let's say some team offers them a sweet deal (like a #2) to move down 8 or 10 spots... they're prepared for making a good selection in that draft range. Or if he slips in the 2nd round... they're already knowledgeable enough to know if he's worth moving up for.

Nice to see grown ups running things now-a-days.

Stu Gotts

Mar 30, 2017, 11:34:19 AM3/30/17
On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 1:26:36 PM UTC-4, euph...@mindspring.com

> I'm going to suggest that the two QB's that show in the top 12 of that list would not be BPA options... not even at 22. Any other position, yeah... a slide could easily inspire Tannenbaum.

I agree completely. Neither fits the criteria of being anything special, IMHO.

J Lunis

Mar 30, 2017, 12:32:36 PM3/30/17
I can agree with that. "Visits" doesn't equate to potential R1 pick.
Particularly with the announced 8 game suspension. I suspect they'll
meet with just about everyone projected as possible picks in the first 3
rounds. Some teams meet with players picked in R5.

euph...@mindspring.com

Mar 30, 2017, 3:09:04 PM3/30/17
8 game suspension? Are you referring to a FA player?

J Lunis

Mar 30, 2017, 4:13:05 PM3/30/17
My bad. Just read a blurb on McDonald. But, I'm an old man

euphemism

Mar 30, 2017, 6:44:46 PM3/30/17
I sort of thought that you might have been thinking of him. McDonald
wouldn't even be out there but for that 8 game suspension. It would
take a determined long view to see doing a deal with a guy who will miss
half the season.

Drumrboy

Mar 30, 2017, 6:59:51 PM3/30/17
Billy Belicheat is hiding in the weeds as we speak. What's another drunk, druggie, cheater, murderer, right?

b...@bob.mail

Mar 30, 2017, 9:34:36 PM3/30/17
From a typical Dolphin injury point of view, game 9 would be good
timing.

euphemism

Mar 31, 2017, 6:47:16 PM3/31/17
Well, the Dolphins must agree - they signed McDonald.

euphemism

Mar 31, 2017, 6:47:58 PM3/31/17
The Dolphins "bought" that 8 game suspension.

mr....@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2017, 11:19:38 AM4/1/17
Drumrboy
Billy Belicheat is hiding in the weeds as we speak. What's another drunk, druggie, cheater, murderer, right?
-----------

Ironic, him signing with the dolphins, eh Drumboy?

And you thought I would throw it in your face. Nope, I'm like Tom Brady... Classy

Drumrboy

Apr 1, 2017, 7:04:35 PM4/1/17
Can't beat 'em, join 'em. Ain't that right, Spaaaaaaaky?

You mad, Bro?

mr....@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2017, 7:12:18 AM4/2/17
Drumrboy
Can't beat 'em, join 'em. Ain't that right, Spaaaaaaaky?
------------

I accept your apology.

You mad, Bro?
-------------

Of course I'm mad!
Miami made some outstanding moves this offseason to a team that made the playoffs last season. The addition of Thomas will be huge because Gase knows how to deploy him. They locked up many of their own players to long term. And if they manage to draft Lamp, they will be vastly improved over last year's playoff team.

Your going to see improvement from Tanehill with a stronger O line with a tight end he can use as a security blanket.

Of course I'm mad!

Stu Gotts

Apr 2, 2017, 12:52:48 PM4/2/17
On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 12:32:36 PM UTC-4, J Lunis wrote:

> I can agree with that. "Visits" doesn't equate to potential R1 pick.
> Particularly with the announced 8 game suspension. I suspect they'll
> meet with just about everyone projected as possible picks in the first 3
> rounds. Some teams meet with players picked in R5.

Another 2 DE's being brought in for visits... supposedly 1st round candidates.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article142251084.html

I'm not too fond of either of them.

Taco Charlton, Michigan: "What you see today might not be what you get. While his production coming out of college will be modest, he could become a substantially better player as a pro if he's committed to the eight room and willing to absorb coaching."

Wait a minute... HE WENT TO MICHIGAN and he isn't already committed to the weight room? WTF is he waiting for? If he's willing to absorb coaching? Don't the offer that at that program? Who the fuck needs a jerk kid that isn't already committed and willing? Not for a 1st round pick, IMHO. He may have all-pro potential, but wasn't that what was said about Dion Jordan?

Dietrich Wise Jr, Arkansas: he couldn't even get on the field much until his senior season... and then he was limited with injuries. Again... not with a 1st round pick. The Phins have too mant solid players to select from this year... go for a "sure thing" with that pick.