OT - Jets Reboot

euph...@mindspring.com

Jun 7, 2017, 12:07:15 PM6/7/17
There's something really strange about the Jets and their GM Mike Maccagnan.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2017/06/06/report-jets-trade-release-wr-eric-decker/375742001/

In a nutshell, the Jets are dumping proven veterans, claiming that they are not focused on clearing cap space but rather are "creating opportunities for younger players."

The problem with that lie is that they dumped mid-career vets like Eric Decker and David Harris and reportedly tried to recruit retired WR Steve Smith to play this season.

Not seeing that logic at all... except as it might pertain to cap room.

My guess is that the Browns will have some stiff competition for the 2018 #1 draft pick.

Stoobz

Jun 7, 2017, 9:48:49 PM6/7/17
Let's hope the Jets never recover from this nose dive and may they take
the cheetahs with them.

euph...@mindspring.com

Jun 8, 2017, 7:59:45 AM6/8/17

mr....@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2017, 9:32:27 AM6/8/17
Why would anyone want to play for a team that's got a goal of losing every game?

Dan the Man

Jun 8, 2017, 12:14:13 PM6/8/17
Yeah, this resembles the Philadelphia 76ers and their 'process', a steroids version of Suck For Luck.

euph...@mindspring.com

Jun 8, 2017, 1:01:19 PM6/8/17
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 8:32:27 AM UTC-5, mr....@gmail.com wrote:
> Why would anyone want to play for a team that's got a goal of losing every game?

I feel bad for Bowles. He seems to me to be a decent coach that is being thrown under the wheels of the bus. He could be a national hero if he were to make a winner out of this team, but by all accounts he has no quarterback and no wide receivers. They also seemingly decimated the OL. I have read that they are now the worst team in the NFL on paper. By the time they can rebuild, Bowles will get fired just to placate the angry fans.

euph...@mindspring.com

Jun 8, 2017, 1:29:00 PM6/8/17
==========

From the NY Post:

The NFL is viciously roasting the Jets, who have ‘no plan’
By Brian Costello

The Jets are the laughingstock of the NFL, and they have not even lost a game yet in 2017.

People around the league from coaches to front-office executives to player agents are cackling about the state of the Jets franchise and the team’s latest moves — releasing veteran linebacker David Harris and planning to dump wide receiver Eric Decker through either a trade or his release.

In several conversations over the past two days, NFL people have wondered whether the Jets actually have a plan, how much dysfunction there is inside the organization and why they waited until June to dump one of their most respected players.

All of it reflects poorly on owner Woody Johnson and general manager Mike Maccagnan, the architects behind this complete roster teardown (let’s not call it a rebuild until we actually see evidence of building).

Coach Todd Bowles is a sympathetic figure around the league, viewed as someone who will ultimately pay the price for a 2017 season that looks like it will be filled with failure.

“They have the worst roster in the league and it’s not close,” one executive said.

A roster that looked bad got even worse Tuesday. Harris was the heart and soul of the Jets’ defense, a player twice voted the most inspirational player on the team and once team MVP, in 2010. Decker impressed teammates with how he looked this spring after shoulder and hip surgeries and was clearly the best receiver the team had.

Nick Mangold, Brett Favre and Alan Faneca in 2008Anthony J. Causi

Clearly, Johnson wanted to save some money by getting rid of Harris and his $6.5 million, a shortsighted, ill-conceived decision. Harris was a respected voice in the locker room and one who could help shape second-year linebacker Darron Lee, who got himself into trouble over the weekend. Years ago, the Jets brought in guard Alan Faneca, whose greatest contribution to the Jets might have been teaching young players Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson how to be pros. Harris could have done the same for Lee.

The Jets are going with a youth movement, but teams still need a few veterans to point the way. Harris and Decker could have been those guides. You don’t think Decker could have helped along young receivers Robby Anderson, ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen and Charone Peake?

Many people around the league are scratching their heads at the timing of these decisions, particularly Harris. Why would a team treat a player who spent 10 years representing the organization well and doing the right things like this? The time to make a request for a salary cut or to release him was in February or March, not after the eighth OTA.

“It’s like they have no plan,” one agent said.

More here:

http://nypost.com/2017/06/07/the-nfl-is-viciously-roasting-the-jets-who-have-no-plan/

BAH

Jun 8, 2017, 3:00:34 PM6/8/17
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 10:28:59 -0700 (PDT), "euph...@mindspring.com"
<euph...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>releasing veteran linebacker David Harris and planning to dump wide receiver Eric Decker through either a trade or his release.

Let's see if I have this straight - the jets announced that they will
be releasing Decker, but are hoping that some team will give them
something in a trade, rather than waiting to get him free? Yup,
that's your jets, New York!

mr....@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2017, 7:19:53 AM6/9/17
euph...@mindspring.com
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 8:32:27 AM UTC-5, mr....@gmail.com wrote:
> Why would anyone want to play for a team that's got a goal of losing every game?

I feel bad for Bowles. He seems to me to be a decent coach that is being thrown under the wheels of the bus. He could be a national hero if he were to make a winner out of this team, but by all accounts he has no quarterback and no wide receivers. They also seemingly decimated the OL. I have read that they are now the worst team in the NFL on paper. By the time they can rebuild, Bowles will get fired just to placate the angry fans.
---------

100% agree. Bowles is an excellent coach. But the Jets are rudderless. They have no plan for the future except to lose and get the number 1 pick. I can only imagine the frustration that brings to a veteran player