With the 22nd pick in the 2017 NFL Draft

euphemism

Mar 25, 2017, 10:58:46 AM3/25/17
Since people got all agitated by the idea that Lamp was a possible pick,
this "consensus" article from Hyde should really get people cranked...

SO... we’re 35 days from the NFL draft and, for the first time, the mock
drafters have some developing mass toward a consensus on who the
Dolphins will take with the 22nd overall pick.

The Dolphins needs are getting clearer after a few weeks of free agency.
They need a defensive end, a guard and a safety. But a tenet of vice
president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum is to get help at every
position heading into the draft so you’re not desperate for any one
position. Then, if a highly-rated offensive lineman like Laremy Tunsil
falls to you, the need for cornerback isn’t so dire as to miss passing
on a better value.

So the blueprint of the offseason is clear (as I discuss on video here

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/fl-sp-hyde-mock-draft-0325-story.html

with Sun-Sentinel writers Chris Perkins and Omar Kelly). On to the mock
drafts. With the 22nd pick, the Dolphins take...

[Here's where you get the "consensus" part.]

G Forrest Lamp, Western Kentucky (via SI.com’s Chris Burke): Comment:
“Finally, the first lineman off the board. With Laremy Tunsil’s planned
move out to tackle, the Dolphins are lacking starters at guard and depth
at OT. Lamp may be viewed more as an interior option in the long-term,
but his ability to swing into either spot gets him the nod.”

G Forrest Lamp, Western Kentucky (via ESPN’s Mel Kiper): Laremy Tunsil’s
expected move to left tackle leaves an opening at guard, and Lamp is the
best guard in the draft. He also could move over to right tackle or
slide in at center, and his versatility is a plus. Though Lamp (6-4,
309) played in Conference USA, he has the traits to step in and play
immediately next season. Miami also could be in play for a linebacker,
even with Kiko Alonso locked into a new deal. Florida's Jarrad Davis
makes some sense.”

G Forrest Lamp, Western Kentucky (via Bleacher Report’s Brent Sobleski):
Comment: “Western Kentucky's Forrest Lamp stands 6'4", weights 309
pounds and has 32¼-inch arms. If he was a little taller and a little
longer, no one would question him as the best offensive lineman in this
year's class. Guards aren't sexy, though. Despite the contracts signed
by Kevin Zeitler and Joel Bitonio, the position is still viewed as
inferior compared to the highly regarded offensive tackle spot. The
recent success of young guards such as Bitonio and Zack Martin is
starting to change that perception, though. Lamp has the same potential
as those blockers.

(My Comment: So there’s the developing consensus of the pick. Would it
surprise me? Not if Lamp is rated as a guy who could play tackle, too.
There’s a need at guard now. Since Ja’Wuan James isn’t one of the guys
extended yet, there might be a need at right tackle next offseason. So
you can see the pick. Still, if given equal value of player, defensive
end would be my plan. Cameron Wake is 35. Andre Branch, on the other
side, has proven to be a pass-rushing talent more than an every-down
player. And so …)

DE Taco Charlton, Michigan (via Forbes.com’s Brian Mazique). There was
no comment included with this mock draft, and I just include it to note
even Forbes, the business magazine, is doing a mock draft.

DE Taco Charlton, Michigan (via CBSSports.com’s Ryan Wilson). Comment:
“Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan: Charlton, who has drawn comparisons to
Chandler Jones, racked up 14 sacks the past two seasons, and his ability
to get after the passer would fill an obvious void on a Dolphins team
that ranked 31st in pass rush a year ago.”

LB Hassan Reddick, Temple (via NFL.com’s Bucky Waters). Comment:
“Reddick is an active linebacker with a non-stop motor and a versatile
game.”

S Jabrill Peppers, Michigan (via CBSSports’ Pete Prisco). Comment:
“Hybrid players are becoming the chic thing in the NFL these days.
Peppers is that kind of player. He can play safety or drop down as
nickel linebacker.”

LB Tim Williams, Alabama (via CBS Sports.com’s Rob Rang). Comment:
“Adding two more years to Cameron Wake’s contract lessens Miami’s need
for pass rush help but doesn’t eliminate it. The talented but troubled
Williams might learn a thing or two from Wake, who finished with more
than twice as many sacks last season (11.5) as any other Dolphins
defender and has earned Pro Bowl nods five times since jumping from the
CFL to Miami in 2009.”

TE David Njoku (via CBSSports.com’s Jared Dubin): Comment: “Adam Gase
loves athletic tight ends that can stretch the field and box out in the
red zone. That’s Njoku, who can team with Julius Thomas in two-tight
sets whenever Thomas is healthy enough to play and be the No. 1 guy when
Thomas is on the sideline.”

CB Gareon Conley, Ohio State (via FoxSports.com’s Pete Schrager):
Comment: “I had Conley going in the first round back in January and
caught some heat for it online. After the Combine, he’s getting that
first-round love everywhere. The Ohio State defensive backfield was
loaded, and though Lattimore and Hooker got all the attention, this man
can play. A 6-0, 195-pound physical cornerback, he has NFL size and did
the job when filling in for Eli Apple in 2015 and stepping up in 2016 as
a starter.”

J Lunis

Mar 25, 2017, 3:13:50 PM3/25/17
On 3/25/2017 10:58 AM, euphemism wrote:
> Since people got all agitated by the idea that Lamp was a possible pick,
> this "consensus" article from Hyde should really get people cranked...

Miami's problem, to date, is desperate need at LB, DE, OL. Many people
are al in on the position THEY want at 22. I'll take any of the 3
depending on how FA plays out although I'm inclined toward DE. As I
probably say every year, I start paying attention to the mocks about 2
weeks before the draft when we all know each team's REAL needs.

Stu Gotts

Mar 25, 2017, 4:34:31 PM3/25/17
On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 3:13:50 PM UTC-4, J Lunis wrote:

> Miami's problem, to date, is desperate need at LB, DE, OL. Many people
> are al in on the position THEY want at 22. I'll take any of the 3
> depending on how FA plays out although I'm inclined toward DE. As I
> probably say every year, I start paying attention to the mocks about 2
> weeks before the draft when we all know each team's REAL needs.

I would add CB to your positions list and then select Best Player Available @ 22. If the opportunity arose to trade up for someone especially unique, I would only consider it if it involved using a single 5th round draft pick or lower.

J Lunis

Mar 25, 2017, 6:31:18 PM3/25/17
Not a fan of Puerto BPA. No NFL team does it. Yeah, nickel CB but not critical

b...@bob.mail

Mar 25, 2017, 7:15:24 PM3/25/17
My order would be OL, DE, LB. Any of those fill a real need.

Stu Gotts

Mar 26, 2017, 8:19:02 AM3/26/17
On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 6:31:18 PM UTC-4, J Lunis wrote:
> Not a fan of Puerto BPA. No NFL team does it. Yeah, nickel CB but not critical

I guess that I just don't have the confidence in the current crew @ CB as you may have. While I like Lippett's and Howard's potential... Xavien's 2 surgeries are a concern. McCain @ 5'9" is too short to be a permanent longterm starter IMHO. (Here's the guy for nickel) And there's no way in hell that I can justify committing $9 -10 million (8.5 + .5 roster bonus in 1 report, flat 10 in another) of this years cap for Maxwell.

J Lunis

Mar 26, 2017, 9:30:25 AM3/26/17
Again, I'm emphasizing 'critical.' Many positions I could upgrade, but all 3 boundary cbs played well the last 8 games, given a weak pass rush and little at LB. McCain? Yeah, replace him

Stu Gotts

Mar 26, 2017, 11:07:05 AM3/26/17
On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 9:30:25 AM UTC-4, J Lunis wrote:
> Again, I'm emphasizing 'critical.' Many positions I could upgrade, but all 3 boundary cbs played well the last 8 games, given a weak pass rush and little at LB. McCain? Yeah, replace him

Maxwell missed most of the Jets game... and all of the Buffalo and Pats games. And @ $10m a year he's too expensive for what he provides. I agree a better pass rush would be a big boost for the secondary.

J Lunis

Mar 26, 2017, 3:21:56 PM3/26/17
I still believe we're in 98% agreement. The discussion is pick #22.
Maxwell's salary, which is too high, isn't relevant. IMO, Lippett,
Howard, Maxwell are good enough to remove boundary CB from a "critical"
need. Yes, Maxwell and Howard were injured, but so was Pouncey, Tunsil,
Sims, Jones and a number of others. I'm staying with DE, LB, OL as
"critical." If Miami can fill any two, I think most fans will be happy.
Not thrilled, but happy.

Stu Gotts

Mar 28, 2017, 8:27:05 AM3/28/17
We likely are mostly in agreement. I suspect that I'm just not seeing any need as being so crucial as to negate BPA.

And I don't necessarily believe that replacing/up-grading an over paid player in a crucial position quite meets the definition of "irrelevant"... especially with several very good players likely to still be available @ 22.