Blocking Stats

b...@bob.mail

Jul 6, 2017, 6:53:54 PM7/6/17
According to ESPN’s KC Joyner, the Dolphins last season gave their
running backs good blocking on only 34 percent of their rushing
attempts, which ranked 28th in the league, with the league average at
38 percent. Jay Ajayi had far more carries with bad blocking (173)
than good (86). And Branden Albert is gone from that mix.

By comparison, the Dolphins allowed good blocking on 41 percent of
opponent’s carries, which was 26th (from a defensive standpoint) in
the league. Unless Phillips improves dramatically and unless newcomers
William Hayes and Lawrence Timmons and perhaps Raekwon McMillan can
solve that run defense deficiency, there will be problems. We’ll see.

ocean...@mac.com

Jul 6, 2017, 11:11:56 PM7/6/17
They have been working the O Line since the signing of Jake Long and still cannot get it right to save their lives.

J Lunis

Jul 7, 2017, 7:43:29 AM7/7/17
IIRC, the two worst run blockers on the '16 DL were Branch and
phillips's rotational buddy - I've forgotten his name. (Not that
Phillips was top 10). That's why Miami tried to get two run-stuffing
DEs and why whats-his-name is gone.

Biggest factor in Miami's run game was Pouncey and fans can only hope he
stays healthy.

Stoobz

Jul 7, 2017, 11:50:07 AM7/7/17
The old rules still apply.

1) Blocking and tackling.

1a) Run the ball.

1b) Stop the run.

1c) Pass protect.

1d) Rush the passer.

Some might say.....

"It's about the offensive line, stupid!"

euph...@mindspring.com

Jul 7, 2017, 12:17:53 PM7/7/17
It is not easy to figure. The Dolphins’ FO seems to think that having a highly regarded Center and a highly regarded Left Tackle will be sufficient. Sometimes they’ve even been happy with just the Left Tackle.

If they pretend that they expect Pouncey to be healthy for more than eight games, they are lying out loud. I am having trouble with the idea that he will be healthy for even 6 games. I keep punching in the numbers and it doesn’t add up.

The guys that will be available to protect Tannehill and give Ajayi some slight openings are just ordinary or worse as a group. We have seen that work – but it’s a miracle if it happens all season. At the moment, there isn’t one actual bright spot on that OL. If you’re thinking Tunsil is the man… what I read from the early camps made it sound like he’s not where he needs to be.

All I can think is that we’re going to learn the truth in a big hurry come August.

Stoobz

Jul 7, 2017, 12:36:17 PM7/7/17
I think Tunsil will be fine and better than average, perhaps even
garnering Pro Bowl votes. I certainly hope he will be Pro Bowl bound
more years than not in his career with Miami.

Pouncey will not be healthy all year, I think we all agree on that. Who
will step up and fill in for him, that is the question.

We don't need a whole OL of HoFers but we do need at least average
across the board.

Note they did well the few games the starters were together.

J Lunis

Jul 7, 2017, 3:01:06 PM7/7/17

> We don't need a whole OL of HoFers but we do need at least average
> across the board.

Ah, Stoobs, you nailed it. My philosophy for a long time . . . "TOP
teams aren't full of TOP players, but are devoid on bottom 10% players."
Wasn't in OJ who made Pro-Bowl and gave a Rolex to every OLman because
none made the Pro-Bowl? Doesn't EVERY team have 'weak' positions and
units where depth is shallow? What Miami needs is average-at-worst OGs.
Yes, a quality backup OC, but with Pouncey, James, Tunsil, and average
OGs, Miami's run game should be impressive.

Stoobz

Jul 7, 2017, 3:23:44 PM7/7/17
Barring injury, I think the offense will do rather well.

On paper, the defense looks to be vastly improved.

Can't wait to get the season going!

b...@bob.mail

Jul 7, 2017, 7:20:20 PM7/7/17
Agree, average would be a hugh improvement.

b...@bob.mail

Jul 7, 2017, 7:23:33 PM7/7/17
Barring injury is not likely.

Drumrboy

Jul 8, 2017, 6:57:33 AM7/8/17
I wish they'd stop with the zone blocking scheme, they suck at it.

euph...@mindspring.com

Jul 11, 2017, 1:09:49 PM7/11/17
I think average is what we have now and had last year. The bad right guard and the various performances at Center "averaged" with above average play from Tunsil and Pouncey when healthy merged nicely with the typically average play by James.

You know, I recall the Pats losing OL starters almost weekly and yet the performance of their offense didn't much falter. I think there's got to be credit to the skill position players making the guys in the trenches look better than what they would be were they protecting a less capable QB and WR corps.

It is quite possible that the reason that the OL looked as good as it did was the step forward by the Dolphins' WR corps and Ajayi's break-out games. What this means for 2017 is that they should have less pressure to defend as the passing and running game should be as good as they've been in years.

Does this sound like I'm predicting that they will be great? I sure wouldn't want to imply that is what I expect. I think the offense will be what we saw last year with maybe some slight improvement. Then let's see how they do with injuries. No prediction I would make has Pouncey starting and finishing more than maybe 8 games. They truly have not upgraded the OL and it is certainly arguable that the OL has gotten worse with the departure of Albert.

Hey, the real news is that the defense is a complete unknown. Nine wide with a new coordinator and a few new players. Maybe they get better in the defensive secondary? They probably should have re-signed Soliai. I believe there will be a lot of acorn farming in August.

ocean...@mac.com

Jul 13, 2017, 11:41:27 PM7/13/17
On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 6:53:54 PM UTC-4, b...@bob.mail wrote:
Just reading the Steelers playoff game stats....Miami suffered FIVE sacks for a total of 35 yards.
Go O Line!