Ugly

J Lunis

Dec 21, 2014, 1:46:14 PM12/21/14
Ugly, ugly

euphemism

Dec 21, 2014, 1:50:15 PM12/21/14
On 12/21/2014 12:46 PM, J Lunis wrote:
> Ugly, ugly

That's if you're being nice.

This is a total surrender.

b...@bob.mail

Dec 21, 2014, 2:01:41 PM12/21/14
On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 10:46:13 -0800 (PST), J Lunis <lun...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Ugly, ugly
Defence is a no show.

euphemism

Dec 21, 2014, 2:36:36 PM12/21/14
A lot of no-shows and walking dead everywhere.

I about lost it when they had Teddy for a sack and just stopped... so
Teddy darted out for a 1 yard gain. These guys look like they haven't
seen some of this shit before.

Rich

Dec 21, 2014, 2:50:29 PM12/21/14
they have become unwatchable.

euphemism

Dec 21, 2014, 3:15:49 PM12/21/14
On 12/21/2014 1:50 PM, Rich wrote:
> they have become unwatchable.

They have some mojo now, but it is minimal. They look like they could
stiffen or collapse, take your pick.

b...@bob.mail

Dec 21, 2014, 3:52:24 PM12/21/14
What was with that short kick off, they only needed 60 yards.

J Lunis

Dec 21, 2014, 3:56:29 PM12/21/14
A brilliant strategic call we don't understand

Rich

Dec 21, 2014, 3:58:16 PM12/21/14
I can't understand the reason for that short kick...yet Minnesota marches 55 yards down field to tie the game. Kevin Coyle is another one that needs to pack his bags.

euphemism

Dec 21, 2014, 5:07:37 PM12/21/14
Coyle is the A-number-ONE person that needs to depart. There are just
too many instances where the defense is out of position or out of gas.
This team has given up 156 points over the last 5 games. That's over 30
points per game. While that's not all on the defense, most of it is...
and the long drives that have been mounted by every team they've faced
is part of the problem. The collapse in stopping the opponent's ground
game has been sickening.

BAH

Dec 21, 2014, 8:40:01 PM12/21/14
On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 16:07:36 -0600, euphemism
<euph...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> While that's not all on the defense, most of it is...
> and the long drives that have been mounted by every team they've faced
>is part of the problem.

That's THE reason he must go. We gave up more long drives this season
than I can ever remember.

bucke...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2014, 7:18:56 PM12/23/14
Call me crazy but I'd start talking with Rex Ryan's agent today. I'd tell Coyle to pack his shit so that he can be on the first plane out after the season ends Sunday. Since it appears we're stuck with Philbin for another fuckin' year, if Rex didn't want the job offer a huge payday to Seattle's DC as 'Assistant HC and DC' so that he's wired in when Philbin gets fired next year.

CrackerJack
Go Fins!!!

Deadmeat

Dec 23, 2014, 8:09:45 PM12/23/14
Do you think Philbin would get rid of Coyle? I don't believe he was
happy when they got rid of Sherman. But yeah, I would be on the phone
with Ryan the day he hits the market.

euphemism

Dec 23, 2014, 8:19:14 PM12/23/14
No, this is just like Sherman. Philbin thinks Coyle is great. He will
only fire Coyle when told to do so.

I refer you to this quote:

'And though Coyle’s defense has dropped to 18th in points allowed and
struggled badly over the past month, Philbin made clear that he
“absolutely” agrees with everything Coyle does philosophically,
including his belief in a 4-3 defense.'

Same old Doh Fill-In.

Read more here:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article4836594.html#storylink=cpy

J Lunis

Dec 23, 2014, 8:37:57 PM12/23/14
I'm not excited about but the guy knows how to gameplan, particularly against NE.

euphemism

Dec 23, 2014, 9:24:56 PM12/23/14
On 12/23/2014 7:37 PM, J Lunis wrote:
> I'm not excited about but the guy knows how to gameplan, particularly against NE.

Can't tell exactly what you mean or to whom you're responding, but my
guess is that you are endorsing Rex Ryan?

Everybody seems to love Rex despite the fact that his record pretty much
sucks. His early success has vanished and even Philbin doesn't get to
blame Ireland as much as people use the Bad GM Defense to explain why
Rex Can't Win.

Let me be about as direct as I can be:

It seems doubtful that we get a new DC unless it's done by decree from
Ross or someone he grants that power. Joe will not voluntarily fire
Coyle.

If a new DC is foist upon Philbin, I have doubts about the quality of
the relationship that could exist between Rex and Joe. If I'm Joe, I
see Rex as the guy who expects to replace me in 2016. That means he
undercuts Philbin at every turn.

I cannot see having Ryan as the next HC, but I would predict that would
be exactly what would happen in 2016 when Philbin finally gets dumped by
Ross who would, by then, have a new infatuation with charming Rex who
would probably be licking Stephen's toes 5 minutes after arriving.

J Lunis

Dec 24, 2014, 10:02:36 AM12/24/14
"endorsing" is a little strong. He has not proven to be a good NFL HC.
He has, however, had good Ds and even when the personnel weren't quite
'upper tier,' was able to get good results. He seemed to consistently
have good game plans and his D always plays NE close (a characteristic
Miami lacks). DC? Pretty good.
OTOH, I doubt the move will happen. If I were to bet, I'd suspect Coyle
stays unless JP's job is the only alternative.
I agree Ryan/Philbin could be a soap opera, particularly if Miami has
the typical 8-10 slow starts they always seem to have or, likely, JP
makes some coaching decisions Oprah wouldn't make. Still, Ryan would
have to field a top D to get a chance at another HC job so I wouldn't
worry about undercutting JP where it mattered. And if I had to choose
between Rex or JP? I dread having to choose. Option C, probably.

euphemism

Dec 24, 2014, 10:13:16 AM12/24/14
Put that staff together and I just feel certain that if Philbin were
fired that Rex would manage to slide into that spot. Call it a hunch.

Drumrboy

Dec 24, 2014, 10:18:36 AM12/24/14
"endorsing" is a little strong.  He has not proven to be a good NFL HC.
  He has, however, had good Ds and even when the personnel weren't quite
'upper tier,' was able to get good results.  He seemed to consistently
have good game plans and his D always plays NE close (a characteristic
Miami lacks).  DC?  Pretty good.
OTOH, I doubt the move will happen.  If I were to bet, I'd suspect Coyle
stays unless JP's job is the only alternative.
I agree Ryan/Philbin could be a soap opera, particularly if Miami has
the typical 8-10 slow starts they always seem to have or, likely, JP
makes some coaching decisions Oprah wouldn't make.  Still, Ryan would
have to field a top D to get a chance at another HC job so I wouldn't
worry about undercutting JP where it mattered.  And if I had to choose
between Rex or JP?  I dread having to choose.  Option C, probably.

I'm on the record (for months) as being in favor of Ryan as the Phins DC next year. That being said...

Ain't NEVER going to happen.

Joey will not fire Coyle.
Ross will not make Joey fire Coyle.
Joey likes a 4-3 and Rex prefers a 3-4 (though he utilizes both)
Ross doesn't like Rex
Joey will be threatened by Rex
Rex will land on his feet as a HC next year and doesn't need the Phins gig.

euphemism

Dec 24, 2014, 11:40:53 AM12/24/14
I'll predict a bit differently... Can't see Ryan getting a new HC gig
until he goes somewhere and rejuvenates a team's defense. I think his
reputation is down, just like the Jets.

I do not expect Ross to be interested and we can be pretty sure Philbin
wouldn't go there but at gunpoint.

IMO: Put the chances that the Dolphins get any new DC at something
under 25%. It's not impossible, since no one has come out and
guaranteed that Coyle is safe, but we all know what will happen if it's
left up to Joe.

I do agree that the chances of Ryan being brought aboard are essentially
zero. For me, that's a "whew" sort of moment.

J Lunis

Dec 24, 2014, 3:42:38 PM12/24/14
Mostly agree. We have seen flashes Ross understands profit. He knew a
bland O was costing him money thus the 'suggestion' the O get more
creative. He KNEW Sherman was costing him fans (money). Whether he
knows Colye will cost him wins (fans) is an open question but I'm
pessimistic. I think we all are certain nothing changes under JP unless
Ross wants it.
I agree with your 'new dc' percentage. It can happen, but under the
circumstances above.
I think Ryan can get another HC job but not in '15. He has shown he can
field a good D - it's the O side he struggled with. To be fair, he had
Sanchez and Geno. No, they aren't equal but Sanchez is no top 10 QB.
You are right, though, about rebuilding his reputation. Losing coaches
rarely get an immediate HC job.
I don't know Ryan is the best DC candidate, but I have some confidence
he's better than Coyle.

euphemism

Dec 24, 2014, 3:58:08 PM12/24/14
I don't have a single candidate to float as a DC replacement and I'm
pretty sure they'd pick someone unknown to me or the rest of the world.
When Coyle was brought in I saw nothing on his résumé that explained
why he was the choice. Head scratcher.

Ryan would have to be a better DC than Coyle but for reasons I have
posted, I see him as a really bad choice for Miami. I make no claim
that he'd even want the job... but I'll bet he'd love the chance to
face the Jets twice each season.

Presumably there will be a few DC's floating in the wind once the annual
head coaching purge kicks in. Other than that, they can look everywhere
they want I suppose... but will they even look?

b...@bob.mail

Dec 24, 2014, 5:27:02 PM12/24/14
Don't forget that Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, was
hired by the Miami Dolphins as a consultant this year.

euphemism

Dec 24, 2014, 6:12:24 PM12/24/14
I have no read on how Tannenbaum is about Rex. I'm assuming they either
like each other or hate each other. You're right, that definitely would
have a big part in what Ross considers. It either makes it a strong
recommendation or knocks it off the list of suggestions entirely.

J Lunis

Dec 25, 2014, 8:07:46 AM12/25/14
This is all imaginary since I suspect Coyle returns. BUT, . . . every
time a HC is fired, the tradition is his OC/DC are gone as well. If
this holds up, maybe a good DC under a bad HC will be available.

bucke...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2014, 2:20:48 PM12/25/14
I just think as a DC, Ryan would be good. I agree with Euphy on the fact that if (hopefully) Philbin is gone after next season, Rex would presume to be the heir-apparent. I wouldn't want him as a HC; just DC.

The DC of Seattle would be great if they could lure him this way with the promise of being the heir apparent when Joey's contract is up.

CrackerJack
Go Fins!!!

tgowan

Dec 29, 2014, 12:44:00 AM12/29/14
On Sunday, December 21, 2014 1:50:29 PM UTC-6, Rich wrote:
> they have become unwatchable.

Because they're unwatchable, I bought tickets to today's Packers game at Lambeau.

One thing I can say for certain is that any Packers fan under 40 thinks it's normal to have a Hall of Fame QB line up every week. They've had one every year since 1992. There will be a lot of pain and disappointment in Green Bay once Rodgers is done.

I like to think that Miami is closer now to getting a real replacement for Marino than they've ever been. I wonder what High School he's playing at now?

Terry Gowan----says, "It's the offensive line, stupid."