Fake News

euph...@mindspring.com

May 12, 2017, 1:43:27 PM5/12/17
So there was a news flash yesterday – and why was this *ever* a story? – proclaiming that three teams had inquired about Colin Kaepernick.

No visits, no offers… just the inquiries.

From the moment of its publication, this was a non-story that had the feel of a desperate agent trying to keep his client’s name in the news.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/05/11/colin-kaepernick-team-san-francisco-49ers-quarterback/101563196/

But the SOURCE on this WASN’T Kaepernick’s agent… it was (get this), Harry Edwards, the “renowned sociologist” who has been an adviser to the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback.

Wait a minute… WHO? This guy Edwards is THE renowned sociologist….? That’s an oxymoron. There are NO renowned sociologists. How does this work? Kaepernick has a sociologist as an adviser??

But, back to the story…

Renowned sociologist Edwards told USA TODAY Sports that three teams have contacted him about Kaepernick since the free agency period opened in March.

“They’ve asked, ‘Can he play? Does he want to play?’ “ Edwards said.

BUT WAIT… this just gets better and better…

Today there’s a new story out…

Kaepernick’s girlfriend has expressed skepticism. Via NBC Sports Bay Area, Nessa Diab, responded to the claims from (renowned sociologist) Edwards by saying on Twitter, “What supposed ‘three’ teams? If this was really from his ‘adviser’ Colin would [have] known about it.”

NBC Sports reports: “per multiple sources with knowledge of the situation, the truth in this case is that no inquiries have been made to Kaepernick or his representatives, and that Edwards seems to be injecting himself into the matter without actually being in the loop.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/12/kaepernick-has-received-zero-inquiries/

So, (renowned sociologist) Edwards is just some blowhard who has met Kaepernick and USA Today gave him the honorary title of “Renowned Sociologist” in order to add some sort of credibility to their worthless attempt to keep Colin’s name in the news?

It doesn’t matter, but this is just a shining example of how these professional bullshit artists rub themselves together to try to start a fire.

J Lunis

May 12, 2017, 3:37:19 PM5/12/17
I'm optimistic about this. Kap took advantage of the opportunity to
bring attention to his cause. I'm sure he has no regrets.

euphemism

May 12, 2017, 5:12:57 PM5/12/17
No regrets? Explain why he has vowed that he will no longer kneel
except when praying that some NFL team shows interest. Explain why he's
busy giving away money to every conceivable charity...

He sure looks like a guy who is trying to buy forgiveness.

Stu Gotts

May 13, 2017, 8:07:01 AM5/13/17
On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 1:43:27 PM UTC-4, euph...@mindspring.com wrote:
> So there was a news flash yesterday – and why was this *ever* a story? – proclaiming that three teams had inquired about Colin Kaepernick.
>
> No visits, no offers… just the inquiries.
>
> From the moment of its publication, this was a non-story that had the feel of a desperate agent trying to keep his client’s name in the news.
>
> https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/05/11/colin-kaepernick-team-san-francisco-49ers-quarterback/101563196/
>
> But the SOURCE on this WASN’T Kaepernick’s agent… it was (get this), Harry Edwards, the “renowned sociologist” who has been an adviser to the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback.
>
> Wait a minute… WHO? This guy Edwards is THE renowned sociologist….? That’s an oxymoron. There are NO renowned sociologists. How does this work? Kaepernick has a sociologist as an adviser??

Here's some flashback to help put "advisor" Edwards in context... from Wikipedia:

"Author of The Revolt of the Black Athlete, Edwards was the architect of the Olympic Project for Human Rights, which led to the Black Power Salute protest by two African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos, both San Jose State College athletes, at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City."

So... here it is 50 years later and he's basically still doing the same old schtick?

Come on Harry, it's waaay past time to update your act.

euphemism

May 13, 2017, 9:18:52 AM5/13/17
One-trick pony.

Dan the Man

May 13, 2017, 7:08:58 PM5/13/17
The only way he would get away with what he did is if he was an elite player. He clearly is NOT.

euphemism

May 14, 2017, 12:31:30 AM5/14/17
His game is the scrambling play extender but his accuracy is too low to
make that effective. He could be Russell Wilson, but he's not.

It bugs me that his problems are being blamed on his politics. It's his
game that's not good enough...

J Lunis

May 14, 2017, 7:23:23 AM5/14/17
Probably should have flagged that as sarcasm.

euphemism

May 14, 2017, 12:27:10 PM5/14/17
It's hard for me to develop any of the outrage that some feel towards
this guy. I always saw his protests as a rather impotent act. He got a
few others to join in, but the less attention people paid, the more
apparent it was that the participants were looking for a graceful way out.

I wonder if someone will feel the need to pick up Colin's Cause? He may
not even be on the sidelines this season. That might make him into a
sort of NFL martyr... If some team gives him a job and then he fails to
kneel... well... party over.

Stu Gotts

May 14, 2017, 4:22:04 PM5/14/17
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 12:27:10 PM UTC-4, euph...@mindspring.com wrote:

> It's hard for me to develop any of the outrage that some feel towards
> this guy. I always saw his protests as a rather impotent act. He got a
> few others to join in, but the less attention people paid, the more
> apparent it was that the participants were looking for a graceful way out.
>
> I wonder if someone will feel the need to pick up Colin's Cause? He may
> not even be on the sidelines this season. That might make him into a
> sort of NFL martyr... If some team gives him a job and then he fails to
> kneel... well... party over.

I have always felt his "protest" was pathetically misdirected and nothing more than a play for attention. The flag and the anthem stand for ideals and principals... for the way things are supposed to be. And you don't call for America to live up to it's promises and potential by dishonoring the symbols of those ideals.

IMHO... the guy is an asshole who defeats his own purpose.

euphemism

May 14, 2017, 4:42:25 PM5/14/17
Well, he has definitely impacted his own earning potential.

The most irritating part of the story is the current efforts of many
writers to make him out as a victim of an NFL "blacklist" conspiracy.
The fact that no team really wants to take on a guy of questionable
ability who is dragging significant PR baggage is not a conspiracy any
more than seeing people avoid stepping in a pile of crap on the
sidewalk. Just natural I'd say.

I do think that he will be signed at some point this year. Maybe before
camp, maybe not until the season is underway... Some team will find
itself feeling desperate enough to ignore his negatives. Maybe once the
teams get a look at their new QB draft picks. Maybe when a veteran goes
down with a serious injury. Bound to happen.

Stu Gotts

May 14, 2017, 6:29:36 PM5/14/17
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 4:42:25 PM UTC-4, euph...@mindspring.com wrote:
> Well, he has definitely impacted his own earning potential.
>
> The most irritating part of the story is the current efforts of many
> writers to make him out as a victim of an NFL "blacklist" conspiracy.
> The fact that no team really wants to take on a guy of questionable
> ability who is dragging significant PR baggage is not a conspiracy any
> more than seeing people avoid stepping in a pile of crap on the
> sidewalk. Just natural I'd say.
>
> I do think that he wi ll be signed at some point this year. Maybe before
> camp, maybe not until the season is underway... Some team will find
> itself feeling desperate enough to ignore his negatives. Maybe once the
> teams get a look at their new QB draft picks. Maybe when a veteran goes
> down with a serious injury. Bound to happen.

This is a PR disaster of the NFL's own making. Right from the get go they should have made clear... you STAND for the anthem. That goes for everyone that gets paid... both directly or indirectly... by the NFL.

You don't have to sing or recite the Pledge... but you sure as fuck need to stand and be quiet. And that goes for any anthem that gets played... even when the game is located non-USA.

I think you're correct... he'll likely be hired at some point. I even think that in the right scheme... and with the proper supporting cast... he could wind-up being fairly successful.

euphemism

May 14, 2017, 8:44:10 PM5/14/17
I agree from the NFL POV. These are same guys who fine the players many
thousands of dollars for inappropriate end zone celebrations. That
said, I think that as long as it was isolated to a handful of players,
then they were smarter to not take on a freedom of speech issue.

I also think that they were going to walk on eggshells with regard to
the Black Lives Matter protests. The majority of their players are
black... no sense starting up a major confrontation unless there was no
other choice. Seems to me they decided to let it blow over and now it
probably has... and Colin's free agency results paint a real clear
picture for the guys who all hope to get that big payday.

b...@bob.mail

May 15, 2017, 6:54:53 PM5/15/17
Nothing says country and flag more than a multi billion dollar sports
league. During the off season does the NFL start the day with the
national anthem?

Stu Gotts

May 16, 2017, 8:42:05 AM5/16/17
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 6:54:53 PM UTC-4, b...@bob.mail wrote:

> Nothing says country and flag more than a multi billion dollar sports
> league. During the off season does the NFL start the day with the
> national anthem?

Don't be silly. Church, Pledge of Allegiance... THEN the Anthem. After that scoring some weed, video games, checking ammo needs, smack some bitch around, more video games, maybe a little blow, go to strip clubs... the usual stuff that we all do everyday.