McMillian

Rich

Aug 10, 2017, 9:40:35 PM8/10/17

euph...@mindspring.com

Aug 10, 2017, 9:47:54 PM8/10/17
Holy shit... this is turning into a curse level PS.

Rich

Aug 10, 2017, 9:56:57 PM8/10/17
On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 9:47:54 PM UTC-4, euph...@mindspring.com wrote:
> Holy shit... this is turning into a curse level PS.

This was one position Miami couldn't afford to lose.

Stoobz

Aug 11, 2017, 6:55:31 AM8/11/17
Once again, it's the Ancient Injun Burial Ground.

Players must be sacrificed to appease the elders.

euph...@mindspring.com

Aug 11, 2017, 8:43:09 AM8/11/17
You see a kid come in with lots of promise and he goes down with what is likely to be a season-ending injury on his very first play in the very first pre-season game and you just wanna scream... if fact I did scream. The dog ran from the room. It must be heartbreaking for the player.

euph...@mindspring.com

Aug 11, 2017, 12:23:31 PM8/11/17
On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 8:40:35 PM UTC-5, Rich wrote:
> Done for the year.
>
> http://mia.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Raekwon-McMillan-has-torn-ACL-105992798

An MRI on linebacker Raekwon McMillan confirmed the Dolphins’ worst fears Friday morning: He has a torn ACL, which will cost him his rookie season, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

McMillan was hurt in the opening minutes of Thursday night’s preseason-opening 23-20 victory over Atlanta. He was injured covering a punt and left the locker room after the game on crutches, wearing a bulky brace on his right knee.

McMillan, a second-round pick from Ohio State, had been all the Dolphins hoped for as he prepared to enter the league. The Dolphins planned to build their linebacking corps around him, planting him in the middle and allowing him to call defensive signals.

The hope was that McMillan would be an impact player to improve a run defense that ranked 30th in the NFL last season and gave up a club-record 2,247 yards on the ground.

Now the Dolphins are back to veteran Kiko Alonso, newcomer Lawrence Timmons and developing young linebackers Neville Hewitt and Mike Hull.

The Dolphins will be second-guessed for exposing McMillan on special teams.

“We were talking about how he was going to have to possibly be on that team,” coach Adam Gase said after the game. “We had to give him some reps, especially in the game. It’s tough to see a young player go down, not knowing what happened.”

Gase, who planned to use McMillan the entire first half, repeated his “next man up” mantra.

“That’s what our guys do,” he said. “Our guys handle adversity just as good as anybody.”

The Dolphins have had plenty of experience lately. They have lost quarterback Ryan Tannehill (knee) and guard Ted Larsen (biceps). They are easing center Mike Pouncey back from hip surgery and running back Jay Ajayi from a concussion.

Put it together and it’s a major part of the heart of their offense and now, their defense.

One Dolphin who could easily identify with McMillan is defensive end Cameron Wake, who came back from a torn Achilles to make the Pro Bowl last year.

“Any time any player goes down, your heart goes out to them,” Wake said.

Stoobz

Aug 11, 2017, 5:15:47 PM8/11/17
The friggin Atlanta feed never showed a thing, just said there is a
Dolphin down and continued to blab pre and post commercial.

No replay or a peep about who or how until I saw on FinHeaven later.

Season ending injuries are the worst thing in football next to the long
term damage. And the Bills.

ocean...@mac.com

Aug 11, 2017, 5:36:06 PM8/11/17
And the JETS

Drumrboy

Aug 11, 2017, 6:27:49 PM8/11/17
5:15 PMStoobz
The friggin Atlanta feed never showed a thing, just said there is a
Dolphin down and continued to blab pre and post commercial.

No replay or a peep about who or how until I saw on FinHeaven later.

Season ending injuries are the worst thing in football next to the long
term damage. And the Bills.

Why is your second round pick, a guy you are counting on to "Captain" your defense and start at an already paper thin LB corp covering his first punt EVER?

euph...@mindspring.com

Aug 11, 2017, 10:51:26 PM8/11/17
In fairness it didn't get much coverage on the Miami feed. They showed him on the ground and later as he was headed for the lockers.

These preseason feeds are God-awful. The broadcast teams may know the home team players and a bit about the more important rookies, but they never know shit about the other team.

What does Nat Moore do the other 11 months of the year? He sure can't work in broadcasting....

Ron

Aug 11, 2017, 11:55:32 PM8/11/17
And the Pats!

Ron

Aug 12, 2017, 12:00:37 AM8/12/17
On 8/11/2017 10:51 PM, euph...@mindspring.com wrote:
> In fairness it didn't get much coverage on the Miami feed. They
> showed him on the ground and later as he was headed for the lockers.

They showed a replay.

But, whatever, next man up. Learn from the Pats!

Drumrboy

Aug 12, 2017, 6:53:27 AM8/12/17
Oh, right, his first punt ever in a meaningless preseason game! WTF were they thinking?

Stu Gotts

Aug 12, 2017, 8:26:34 AM8/12/17
On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 6:53:27 AM UTC-4, Drumrboy wrote:
> Oh, right, his first punt ever in a meaningless preseason game! WTF were they thinking?

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 6:53:27 AM UTC-4, Drumrboy wrote:
> Oh, right, his first punt ever in a meaningless preseason game! WTF were they thinking?

Hmmm... let me hazard a guess. That it's reasonable to assume that a 22 yr old professional athlete in top physical shape should be able to run down the field and tackle somebody without getting injured?

Drumrboy

Aug 12, 2017, 10:29:45 AM8/12/17

8:26 AMStu Gotts
You ever just "run down the field and tackle somebody"? I have. It's a fucking train wreck waiting to happen. If it's so easy and safe, why isn't EVERYONE on special teams? How come Cameron Wake isn't out there?

Dan the Man

Aug 12, 2017, 12:24:28 PM8/12/17
We seem to be headed for another season of the IR list being longer than the active roster. Oh well, I guess RT and McMillan can root each other back to health - for 2018.

Stu Gotts

Aug 12, 2017, 2:57:32 PM8/12/17
Cam Wake is a DE not known for his speed, and HE'S 36 YEARS OLD, a big fucking difference than a 22 yr old LB.

On the other hand... Mike Hull, the guy who's replacing McMillan @ middle linebacker, made the team the past 2 years due to his special teams play... and is still healthy enough to replace him.

Shit happens... even when there's no contact. Hell, Jim Jensen was a QB/TE/RB/WR and yet still played on kick and punt special teams.

Drumrboy

Aug 12, 2017, 3:20:36 PM8/12/17
2:57 PMStu Gotts
Cam Wake is a DE not known for his speed, and HE'S 36 YEARS OLD, a big fucking difference than a 22 yr old LB.

On the other hand... Mike Hull, the guy who's replacing McMillan @ middle linebacker, made the team the past 2 years due to his special teams play... and is still healthy enough to replace him.

Shit happens... even when there's no contact. Hell, Jim Jensen was a QB/TE/RB/WR and yet still played on kick and punt special teams.

Except his biggest knock was he can't cover, i.e. He's slow. It was a stupid fucking move. Yes shit happens, exactly why you don't put your "important" players in harms way unnecessarily.

PS: what's the difference between a DE AND A LB PLAYING ST? There are plenty of DE's playing ST's....

Stu Gotts

Aug 12, 2017, 3:57:53 PM8/12/17
And how many of those DE's are 36... have already been injured... and are fairly slow runners?

Players getting injured is just part of the game... like Tannehill... or Marino... who sustained season ending injuries without even being touched.

btw: Jensen played special teams in the NFL 12 yrs without injury. He was named the Dolphins special teams MVP in 1988.

As I said: shit happens... and sometimes it doesn"t