Chad Henne: NFL Starter

已查看 29 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

euphemism

未读,
2017年8月19日 09:55:102017/8/19
收件人
Can't keep a good man down. Bortles is gaining league-wide scorn as a
flop. Enter Super Henne... the Clark Kent of the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000831455/article/jaguars-cant-keep-blake-bortles-as-qb1-cutler-set-for-big-year

J Lunis

未读,
2017年8月19日 11:23:022017/8/19
收件人
For those who's memories of draft picks are of PManning and Rodgers,
Bortles was a R1 pick and Henne a 2nd. Yeah, let's just draft a QB on
day one. Problem solved. NOTE: I'm not against drafting a QB, but I
don't want to draft one "just because."

Drumrboy

未读,
2017年8月19日 11:49:572017/8/19
收件人
11:23 AMJ Lunis
For those who's memories of draft picks are of PManning and Rodgers,
Bortles was a R1 pick and Henne a 2nd. Yeah, let's just draft a QB on
day one. Problem solved. NOTE: I'm not against drafting a QB, but I
don't want to draft one "just because."

Wow! So we agree Tanehill was a reach?

euphemism

未读,
2017年8月19日 13:26:052017/8/19
收件人
Reach?

Every QB ever selected is a gamble. To be a reach the player must be
selected significantly ahead of his evident skill. Based on his
pre-draft assessments, he wasn't a "reach" in the 1st round. If the
Dolphins didn't take him when they did, they'd likely not have had the
chance in the 2nd round as he'd have been gone. Based solely on his
performances in the NFL, he IS a quality starter and THAT puts him way
ahead of MANY QB's selected in the first or second rounds.

Reach? Try RGIII with three 1sts and a 2nd.

Tannehill was no more of a reach than most QB selections.

What was your assessment of Bortles when he was the celebrated guy
picked by Jacksonville with their top pick?

I claim no opinion as I didn't know who he was and don't believe I had
ever seen him play. I recall that the draft experts expected him to be
a franchise QB.

Drumrboy

未读,
2017年8月19日 13:32:322017/8/19
收件人
1:26 PMeuph...@mindspring.com
[...]

Matt Moore was 9-7 on a fucking HORRIBLE team the year before the clowns decided they needed to draft a WR and make him their Franchise QB with the 8th pick of the draft.

How's that worked out so far?

euphemism

未读,
2017年8月19日 14:49:092017/8/19
收件人
Well, everybody has seen Matt Moore and the general consensus is
probably that he's a great back-up. The fact that the coaches thought
Tannehill could be better is hardly bad judgment. The fact is that
Tannehill *is* better than Moore.

You provide me no evidence that you would have done a better job at
making the Dolphins' picks. It's pretty easy when you get full use of
hindsight.

You going to make a call on Cutler now or wait until the jury comes back?

I believe that Jay is going to do real well and then do bad. Then he'll
do real well, then he might be bad. I believe that's his resume, but I
am basing my call on hindsight.

The Dolphins are basically looking at a clean slate next year.
Tannehill won't be back at that $26M number and Cutler is only on a
one-year deal. If he's great, he'll get lured away by money the
Dolphins don't have. If he sucks, no one wants him except maybe Fox.
Moore is also on a one-year deal, I believe.

Make the QB pick now... surely it''s easy? Remember, you'll have both
the Jets and the Bills picking for a QB in front. You just can't wish
that shit away.

ocean...@mac.com

未读,
2017年8月19日 18:11:082017/8/19
收件人
That's not the big problem...the biggest problem is that they will never admit and will stick with him for two more years, at least.

J Lunis

未读,
2017年8月19日 19:10:502017/8/19
收件人
FWIW, RTan was generally projected as a top 10 pick. Thus, not really a
reach.

b...@bob.mail

未读,
2017年8月19日 19:22:492017/8/19
收件人
The Jags are not a good example of anything.

euphemism

未读,
2017年8月19日 19:26:062017/8/19
收件人
Based on what?

Tannehill is probably looking at redoing his deal if he wants to return.
His 2018 number is quite high and that will be after not playing a
down in 2017. Based on WHAT do you see the Dolphins sticking with him
for 2 years?

Tannehill's injury couldn't put him out at a worse time. Gase jumped on
Cutler - who knows how that works out? Nothing about Gase tells me he's
going to stick with Tannehill if he has better options. The cap is
going to force Miami to make hard calls next year.

I am willing to bet that Gase will want to draft a QB in 2018, but it
looks like a bad year to be in need... I can already see the Bills,
Jets and Jags in the early bird line, camped out to pick a QB as high as
possible. There are probably others that will get in that line... the
Dolphins being one of them.

b...@bob.mail

未读,
2017年8月19日 19:26:542017/8/19
收件人
Jay will play as well as the OL allows him.

euphemism

未读,
2017年8月19日 19:37:262017/8/19
收件人
So, are you hinting that you knew Bortles was going to bust and that the
Jags fucked up when they picked him?

I recall him being well regarded and here is the pre-draft analysis of
his strengths from NFL.com

Outstanding size, stature, bulk and athletic ability for the position.
Stands tall in the pocket and delivers the ball in the face of heavy
pressure. Keeps his eyes downfield while climbing the pocket. Good field
vision and release point. Is efficient throwing on the run and excels on
bootlegs and play-action passing. Good zip and accuracy on
short-to-intermediate throws -- can fit the ball into tight windows.
Nice touch to drop throws in the bucket -- delivers a catchable ball
with fine anticipation. Senses pressure and evades the rush. Doesn't
take many unnecessary sacks. Can extend plays with his feet or tuck it
and dash for the sticks when the pocket breaks. Surprising foot speed.
Plays with confidence and poise. Engineered comeback victories, beat
Penn State and Louisville on the road and took a mid-major program to a
BCS bowl.

I think I recall several people on this bandwidth loving this guy. One
thing is certain, there was NO ONE near him in the rankings and Manziel
was the next QB picked.

euphemism

未读,
2017年8月19日 19:38:172017/8/19
收件人
You're going to let Cutler use the OL as an excuse?

Drumrboy

未读,
2017年8月20日 08:11:392017/8/20
收件人
Aug 19J Lunis
For those who's memories of draft picks are of PManning and Rodgers,
Bortles was a R1 pick and Henne a 2nd. Yeah, let's just draft a QB on
day one. Problem solved. NOTE: I'm not against drafting a QB, but I
don't want to draft one "just because."

Like what they did when they drafted Tanehill? Problem solved!

7-9 4U

未读,
2017年8月20日 17:02:132017/8/20
收件人
In article <on9ksj$mkf$1...@dont-email.me>
Patrick Mahomes.

b...@bob.mail

未读,
2017年8月20日 19:12:182017/8/20
收件人
On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 18:38:17 -0500, euphemism
Why not, I am.

euphemism

未读,
2017年8月20日 19:21:302017/8/20
收件人
Clearly.

b...@bob.mail

未读,
2017年8月20日 19:22:282017/8/20
收件人
No, just like RT he will not progress until they get good coaching.
I don't know if he is a bust but on the Jags he is.

euph...@mindspring.com

未读,
2017年8月21日 10:12:432017/8/21
收件人
I also know very little about Bortles and his potential. If I were to base my opinions of Tannehill solely on the "voice of the fans" I would have a very different apoinion of him than the one I have from watching him play.

I have read a couple of articles that suggest that Bortles might even be released by the Jags because his cap hit is way too big for a back-up QB and that there's little chance he gets his staring job back once he loses it. Then again, as we all know, shit happens. Henne could go down in a heap from a non-contact injury.

On the OL topic... I think it is nearly impossible for any QB to thrive behind a terrible line. Even the best scramblers will get caught enough that they will have a very short career.

Cutler's history is that he's streaky. He has good days and he has bad days. I think we've seen that from all but the worst of the QB's on this team. If he gets battered and pummeled, I expect his play will tail off quickly. I can't even drive in heavy traffic with the radio up loud... how can a QB think and throw if he's getting hammered every time he drops back?

ocean...@mac.com

未读,
2017年8月21日 12:53:012017/8/21
收件人
From today's camp reports, the defensive looks terrible, no pressure on the QB, etc.
Cutler is again throwing rockets....one interception and I think 2 TDS can't remember....they say his arm strength is a notable upgrade as is his scrambling ability today.

euph...@mindspring.com

未读,
2017年8月21日 13:16:262017/8/21
收件人
I will have to be shown that Cutler is an upgrade over Tannehill when it comes to his ability to throw while scrambling. In fact, I will have to see for myself that Cutler is able to play at a consistently high level.

I did NOT follow his career in Denver or Chicago. I know he has had good years and bad years and I refuse to be too impressed if he has a great early showing, the same as I won't be convinced that he's a bust by any early struggles. This is going to be a long season...

I would say we all know this isn't "Miami's Year" and that next year is now a bigger mystery than ever.

I don't know why the defense should be terrible... are the starter's all sitting? I guess the fabulous Eagles are just making them look bad?

J Lunis

未读,
2017年8月21日 13:38:202017/8/21
收件人
From tweets, neither team is rushing the QB - it's practice. Thus, the D's SHOULD look bad.

euph...@mindspring.com

未读,
2017年8月21日 14:35:372017/8/21
收件人
On Monday, August 21, 2017 at 12:38:20 PM UTC-5, J Lunis wrote:
> From tweets, neither team is rushing the QB - it's practice. Thus, the D's SHOULD look bad.

THAT'S what we need.... lots of practice where the defense goes at half-speed.

J Lunis

未读,
2017年8月21日 15:08:032017/8/21
收件人
From my experience in organized football and following the NFL since
Otto Graham, practices against opponents at half-speed are almost
"standard."

euph...@mindspring.com

未读,
2017年8月21日 15:18:022017/8/21
收件人
Oh... I thought maybe they were just doing it to help Jordan Phillips with his self esteem issues.

Some people just have NO sense of humor.

J Lunis

未读,
2017年8月21日 16:34:182017/8/21
收件人
UNFAIR!! Phillips is already good at going half-speed.

euphemism

未读,
2017年8月21日 18:46:122017/8/21
收件人
There ya go!

Drumrboy

未读,
2017年8月21日 19:22:022017/8/21
收件人

<< On the OL topic... I think it is nearly impossible for any QB to thrive behind a terrible line. Even the best scramblers will get caught enough that they will have a very short career. >>

Good QB's make their OL look better than they are. Tanehill does neither.
0 个新帖子