So, Let's Hear It Dolphin Fans....

euph...@mindspring.com

Aug 7, 2017, 8:23:06 AM8/7/17
Jay Cutler is somewhat infamous for his sulky and seemingly indifferent behavior towards his teammates. Adam Gase went after him like a dog after a squirrel when Tannehill's injury got RT carted off the practice field. Gase should know what he's getting and he should realize that Cutler is hard to like under the best of circumstances. If Adam elects to install Cutler as the starter, pushing aside Matt Moore, it seems like that would be sure to anger or offend some Dolphins players. Matt Moore has been the good son and stepped in for Tannehill last season and did a very good job. He's earned his place at the table. I'd bet that his teammates truly like him.

This deal is high risk. The 2017 schedule is stepped - staring out relatively easy and turning brutally tough after 4 - 5 games. The team needs a QB who gets tougher as the season rolls on, not one that might be seen as malingering.

Anyone who knows why this marriage should be made in heaven, please comfort those of us who fear the worst.

L J Alibi

Aug 7, 2017, 11:30:42 AM8/7/17
I thought RT walked off of the field under his own power with no assistance. Did you find info saying he was carted off the practice field?

euph...@mindspring.com

Aug 7, 2017, 11:46:52 AM8/7/17
Actually, no.

I read that he "went down in a heap" and later was actually seen walking with no obvious limp.

The stories about Cutler being contacted were nearly immediate. What I have read is that Gase called Cutler right away to gauge his interest.

Dan the Man

Aug 7, 2017, 11:55:44 AM8/7/17
On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 8:23:06 AM UTC-4, euph...@mindspring.com wrote:
If Cutler is never more than Moore's back-up, I don't have a huge problem with this. As long as Brady and Belicheat are around, we're not getting past the Pats, anyway.

Drumrboy

Aug 7, 2017, 12:43:13 PM8/7/17
11:55 AMDan the Man
On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 8:23:06 AM UTC-4, euph...@mindspring.com wrote:
If Cutler is never more than Moore's back-up, I don't have a huge problem with this. As long as Brady and Belicheat are around, we're not getting past the Pats, anyway.

I only ask that it's an "open" completion for the starting job. Neither is Dan Marino, and your right, it doesn't really make a shit of difference which one starts.

J Lunis

Aug 7, 2017, 1:21:29 PM8/7/17
Here is my understanding . . .

Negatives - for those who think RTan is average, Cutler is no better.
For those who think he could have been top third, Cutler is a mild
downgrade. Most think Cutler is better than MM. Throughout his career,
Cutler has been a 'meh' QB. Not bad, but not capable of "carrying his
team."

Positives - smart, not reckless (i.e., MM). Already knows the system,
already has a hx with Gase.

For those looking for hope, Cutler's D was seldom good and receivers
less than average (think RTan under Queasy). In Miami, the receivers
appear quite good, good run game (predicted), and the D should improve
to average (that's a BIG jump). Personally, I was never a Cutler fan,
but never had anything against him, thus, agnostic.

For the record, the 'other' options seemed to be limited to Keap
(please, NO), and Osweiller(sp?). If those were my choices, I MAY have
gone Cutler. I say "MAY have" because I was leaning towards giving it
to MM and take my chances.

euph...@mindspring.com

Aug 7, 2017, 2:03:09 PM8/7/17
It's important to note that even if Matt Moore were a terrific starter, the Dolphins were STILL going to have to bring in someone, unless you believe that Doughty is a bona fide #2 QB. It is very clear that the Dolphins view him as strictly a practice squad quarterback. maybe he could change that during this camp period, but the word from the early practices was that Doughty was (in your wors) "meh" and the 4th guy, Fales, has been flat out awful.

Right now, it's apparently NOT set that Tannehill goes out for surgery and THAT means he's hoping to come back after 6 - 8 weeks. That poses all sorts of issues, given that the Dolphins just coughed up $10M for Cutler.

It's not like there aren't significant risks here...
What if Cutler gets pounded behind the suspect Dolphins OL? Will he go to the sidelines and pout? Gase risks losing the team if Cutler comes in and behaves as he has in the past in Denver and Chicago. Cutler is clearly Gase’s pick and if Cutler urinates on the furniture, Gase is going to take the heat.

J Lunis

Aug 7, 2017, 3:16:23 PM8/7/17
Let me reword my comment. *IF* the QB brought in were to be a starter,
3 names were mentioned. If the new QB were to backup MM, you're right,
many names more QBs would have been available. Based on no evidence, if
RTan were to be back on game 7, I suspect they would have gone with MM.

FWIW, since pads, Fales has been eclipsing Doughty, not that it's a
difficult task.

euph...@mindspring.com

Aug 7, 2017, 3:45:59 PM8/7/17
I have seen no mention that Fales has been other than bad - the most neutral comment is this from the Palm Beach Post:

"Brandon Doughty is third-team quarterback, ahead of David Fales. Neither has stood out at camp."

There's only one question now: Will Matt Moore be pushed aside or will there be a fair competition. My guess, Moore is demoted.

The elephant in the room: What if Tannehill tries to insist on coming back again this year? He needs at least 6 weeks, including camp. What happens with Cutler?

Terminal Cancer

Aug 7, 2017, 5:40:02 PM8/7/17
In article <10abc0b2-a241-48b6-95d0-
ab82ce...@googlegroups.com>
Maybe Matt Moore starts and Jay Cutler is the backup.

Maybe Jay Cutler slips and falls in the shower, "I've fallen and
I can't get up" permanently injured.

Matt Moore is actually a good option for replacement. If Gase
installs Cutler over Moore, he needs to be fired. His
intelligence just went down two pegs for going after Cutler
anyway. Given a choice between Cutler or Tebow, Tebow would get
the nod.

euphemism

Aug 7, 2017, 6:20:20 PM8/7/17
So, you are seriously suggesting that Tebow, a guy who is out of
football, playing Single-A baseball, and who was described as "terrible"
by his own teammates the last time he was on an NFL regular season
roster, is a better choice than Cutler?

You are either a troll or seriously impaired. You decide which one gets
the nod.

Terminal Cancer

Aug 7, 2017, 9:57:58 PM8/7/17
In article <ai7ek6....@news.alt.net>
The NY Jests are not an NFL calibre team, so you can toss those
opinions right where they belong.

Tebow beat the Pissburgh Steelers with one pass in overtime the
last time he played on a real football team.

Cutler was so great he won exactly one game in 2016.

> You are either a troll or seriously impaired. You decide which one gets
> the nod.

You cunts don't like Tebow because he's a religious type. He's
also a winner and you don't like that either.

Go ahead, take Cutler and his 1-15 record from 2016. You fools
deserve him.