NFL 1000: Ranking the Most Accurate Passers

Valravn

Jun 16, 2017, 8:12:40 PM6/16/17

euphemism

Jun 16, 2017, 10:39:09 PM6/16/17
On 6/16/2017 7:12 PM, Valravn wrote:
> RT in the top 10...
>
> http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2715180-nfl-1000-ranking-the-most-accurate-passers

Shhhhh. You're going to cause a bunch of trouble.

Drumrboy

Jun 17, 2017, 9:20:53 AM6/17/17
Quarterback Air Yards: 2016 NFL Season

Air yards is defined as the total distance that a football is thrown beyond the line of scrimmage to the point of reception. Air yards is calculated by taking total passing yards and subtracting Yards After the Catch (YAC).

More about Quarterback Air Yards

While it isn't a clear cut statistic, it does give us an indication of how much of a quarterback's total pass yards are due to the QB vs receiver by eliminating the 2 yard dump pass that ends up being a 50 yard gain.

Rank Player Team YDS YAC. Air Yards. AY/Att % of Air Yards. % of YAC to Total Yards
28 Ryan Tannehill MIA 2,995 1,493 1,502 3.86 50.2% 49.9%
Message has been deleted

Valravn

Jun 17, 2017, 12:05:08 PM6/17/17
Whether or not a quarterback benefits from YAC is a separate question from accuracy. I was at the Chargers game last year and watched RT put on a show. His first TD pass to Stills was from the 49 yd line to the middle of the end zone about 57 yards in the air just before being hammered (what else is new).
The next touchdown was set up by a pass to Jarvis Landry from the Chargers 36 to about the five in the air with about 2 yds YAC. Third TD from the Chargers 25 yd line to D Williams about five yards into the endzone. Trailing by XX with 4:00 minutes left in the fourth quarter, he launched one from the Dolphins 16 to across midfield at about the 54 hitting Devante Parker in stride on the left sideline while -guess what- getting hammered again.

Watch the tape. The Dolphins defense and Jakeem Grant tried like hell to give this one away. Tannehill carried the team. It still took an Alonso pick six to seal it.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016111309/2016/REG10/dolphins@chargers#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000739176&tab=recap

Drumrboy

Jun 17, 2017, 6:24:15 PM6/17/17
Bragging about a guy that completes 60% of his 3 yard passes is just asking for trouble.

Just saying....
Message has been deleted

euphemism

Jun 18, 2017, 11:20:54 AM6/18/17
On 6/17/2017 5:24 PM, Drumrboy wrote:
> Bragging about a guy that completes 60% of his 3 yard passes is just asking for trouble.
>
> Just saying....

No one is bragging... just looking at the numbers. You can choose how
you view things... you cannot chose which players are on the team.

euphemism

Jun 18, 2017, 11:34:02 AM6/18/17
On 6/17/2017 11:49 PM, Valravn wrote:
> On Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 3:24:15 PM UTC-7, Drumrboy wrote:
>> Bragging about a guy that completes 60% of his 3 yard passes is just asking for trouble.
>>
>> Just saying....
>
> If "Air Yards" and completion % is the sole criterion by which to judge a QB, then RT was better in both categories than Derek Carr. In fact, his "Air Yards" number of 3.86 (much closer to 4 than 3) puts RT only one QB behind Aaron Rodgers and Philip Rivers - both of which he beat in completion percentage.
>
> Not previously knowing about the AY/Att stat - 3.86 sounded like an incredibly small number, until I discovered the best in the game (that actually played the whole season) was 4.85 by Kirk Cousins. Wow, Drew Brees was a whopping 4.15 AY/Att with a mere 46.3% completion percentage.
>
> So, lets see, by your standard, in 2016 RT was in the ball park for AY/Att with Aaron Rodgers and Philip Rivers and within spitting distance of Drew Brees. His completion percentage was points better than any of them.
>
> https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2016/
>
> Just sayin...

Without using stats, I can agree/understand how people see the positive
from Tannehill as well as the negatives.

Let's HOPE that his slow growth continues and this season, his first
real chance to be something other than a rookie in a good offense, he
finally puts a real stamp on his place in the ranks of active QB's.

The OL is apparently going to be problematic again in 2017. It's
doubtful that Pouncey is healthy for anything like 16 games. Tunsil has
apparently not been too solid in the OTA's and mini=camp and wound up
sidelined with a hammy. We know that the guard positions are of
questionable quality and depth... I don't think RT is particularly
reliable.

If Gase can use a terrific WR corps and potentially excellent running
game to minimize the impact of his OL weakness, the offense should be
pretty good. All we can do is wait and see. I'm making no
prediction... no way.

b...@bob.mail

Jun 18, 2017, 7:27:45 PM6/18/17
The weakest link once again could be the OL

J Lunis

Jun 19, 2017, 7:41:20 AM6/19/17
A year or two ago some were using a low YAC as an indication RTan was a
poor QB - if he lead the receivers better, they wouldn't have to stop in
their route. Now it's reversed. A HIGH YAC is an indication of a poor
QB if it weren't for the receivers YAC, RTan's numbers would be poor.
If RTan can play like he did the last 6 games before his injury, I'll be
satisfied.

euphemism

Jun 19, 2017, 6:41:36 PM6/19/17
I have been rooting for him all along and hope he proves himself. I
suppose there's people he'll never convince... it will be very
satisfying for some of us if he makes it really difficult for his
devoted critics to continue to call him a bust.