Thoughts on the game

Tomas

Jan 16, 2006, 9:41:21 AM1/16/06
First of all, what a rush. Like most others, I expect, I was pacing around
tingling all day until the game (which started at 02.00 here, so it was a
long day). The early game was entertaining, but couldn't really hold my
attention waiting for the Broncos to take the field.

My thoughts on the game:

1) Offensive gameplanning very, very good. Shanahan and Kubiak obviously
knew it would be hard to run on the Patriots, but still called enough
running plays to keep the defense honest. Lelie was much more involved than
at large portions of the season. He finished with only 5 catches for 50
yards, but they used his speed to stretch the defense all game. He was also
wide open on two long pass plays that could have resulted in scores if
Plummer had been a little more precise on the throws. On the first one
Ashley had the whole left side of the end zone to himself, but Plummer
didn't have room to step into the throw and left it short for Samuel to
recover and get the pick. On the second play Plummer overthrew Lelie
slightly.

2) Defense gameplanning equally good. The Broncos were in Brady's face all
day long. Yes, they didn't get a sack, but it was quite obvious that Brady
was pressured and hurried on most throws and couldn't deliver his usual pin
point accurate passes. As expected the Patriots could not run the ball
either. In the second half Brady hit on a few long bombs and some screens to
beat the blitz, but the Broncos didn't cower down and kept getting in his
face.

3) Special teams. Sauerbrun and the punt team pinned the Patriots deep down
all game. Sauerbrun forced a fumble - how often has that happened. They
recovered two fumbles. And for all the talk of Jason Elam's decline, he
nailed the 50 yard field goal attempt to end the first half scoring.

4) The Broncos linebackers are amazingly good tacklers. I never really worry
that anyone is going to run through them (even if it happens once in a
while). Seeing Al Wilson filling a gap in the line and just knowing that the
running back is not going to break the tackle is so great.

5) Once again Champ Bailey reinforced the notion that the trade was great
for Denver even when not considering that Tatum Bell was effectively
throw-in.

6) John Lynch. How big has this signing been for Denver. A lot has been said
about him slowing down, but he's still an incredible leader together with
Wilson on the defense. He also blitzes and plays the run very well. And it
was also Lynch that caught up to one of the long bombs.

7) The defensive line again played a great game. Though they didn't get any
sacks they were along with the blitzers hurrying Brady's throws and they
once again closed off any running game.

8) Fans were LOUD. Even on the broadcast it was clear and New England had
four false starts.

9) Tom Brady mocking John Lynch firing up the crowd after the Patriots first
three and out. Confidence is fine and all, but I'm not sure Lynch is someone
I'd want to fire up unnecessarily.

This is going to be another long week of anticipation.

-Tomas

BobInBoulder

Jan 16, 2006, 12:18:25 PM1/16/06

"Tomas" <not@all> wrote in message

> My thoughts on the game:
>
> 1) Offensive gameplanning very, very good. Shanahan and Kubiak obviously
> knew it would be hard to run on the Patriots, but still called enough
> running plays to keep the defense honest. Lelie was much more involved
> than at large portions of the season. He finished with only 5 catches for
> 50 yards, but they used his speed to stretch the defense all game. He was
> also wide open on two long pass plays that could have resulted in scores
> if Plummer had been a little more precise on the throws. On the first one
> Ashley had the whole left side of the end zone to himself, but Plummer
> didn't have room to step into the throw and left it short for Samuel to
> recover and get the pick. On the second play Plummer overthrew Lelie
> slightly.

Even with a 14-point victory, to be perfectly honest, I was disappointed
with both the offensive game plan, play-calling, and overall performance.
I'd give it a C. Basically, I think Shanny and Kubes outsmarted themselves,
going completely away from the team's strengths (the stretch running play
and play-action rollouts), running more up the gut (very unsuccessfully) and
keeping Jake in the pocket. They only went back to these on the one good
drive in the second half (that resulted in a field goal and some much needed
possession time). Also, Jake made some very good plays (the TD to Rod on
the rollout for one), but also a few real stinkers (the horribly thrown fade
to Lelie on 4th and goal, also a horrible play call, and the badly
underthrown interception), that cost the Broncos 6 to 10 points early in the
game. And the 3rd quarter started with a 3 and out, followed by a one first
down and out. I'm sure much credit needs to be given to NE's defense ...
but Pittsburgh's defense is much better than NE's, so the offense must have
a better plan and better execution this coming weekend.

> 2) Defense gameplanning equally good. The Broncos were in Brady's face all
> day long. Yes, they didn't get a sack, but it was quite obvious that Brady
> was pressured and hurried on most throws and couldn't deliver his usual
> pin point accurate passes. As expected the Patriots could not run the ball
> either. In the second half Brady hit on a few long bombs and some screens
> to beat the blitz, but the Broncos didn't cower down and kept getting in
> his face.

Here is what pisses me off when I hear some national media joker saying that
the questionable interference call and Champ's possible fumble through the
end zone which could have resulted in a touchback instead of 1st and goal at
the one gave the Broncos the game. How many touchdowns did NE score? ONE.
And when did they score it? When the score was already 24-6. The Bronco
defense won this game. Period. Even if you reverse those two plays, that
does not in any way absolutely equate to a 14-point swing. No matter how
you slice it, they held the supposed best playoff quarterback of all time to
one touchdown and 13 points. Not too shabby.

> 3) Special teams. Sauerbrun and the punt team pinned the Patriots deep
> down all game. Sauerbrun forced a fumble - how often has that happened.
> They recovered two fumbles. And for all the talk of Jason Elam's decline,
> he nailed the 50 yard field goal attempt to end the first half scoring.

Overall I thought that Belichick outcoached Shanahan .... tough to believe
given the final score and all, but Belichick didn't put the ball on the
ground 3 times or make the amazing play that Champ did. However, on one
play in particular, Belichick did hurt the Pats. On the punt the Troy Brown
fumbled, NE lined up without anyone back, like they were going to go all out
to block the punt. Then at the snap they had Brown sprint back to catch the
punt and reverted to full return mode. Needless to say, it HAS to be easier
to catch a punt if you are already in position than to sprint back like he
had to and catch it. This bit of needless trickery hurt the Pats.

> 9) Tom Brady mocking John Lynch firing up the crowd after the Patriots
> first three and out. Confidence is fine and all, but I'm not sure Lynch is
> someone I'd want to fire up unnecessarily.

If it was the play I am thinking about, I don't think Brady was mocking
Lynch at all. He was just as fired up as Lynch at the time, and sort of
celebrated the fact that the game was on with him. That's how I saw it. I
like Brady. I think he's five times the winner and sportsman over Peyton
Manning. I thought Manning showed tremendous disrespect for his coaching
staff during the game yesterday when he waved the punt team back to the
sideline, and tremendous disrespect for his coaching staff and teammates
during his post game comments. A true leader accepts responsibility for
defeat. Manning is only good at pointing fingers.

I also think Jake is a good leader. This weekend will be an even better
test.

Tomas

Jan 16, 2006, 12:38:48 PM1/16/06
"BobInBoulder" <bi...@noneofyourbusiness.com> skrev i en meddelelse

I probably should have stated it more clearly. I liked the playcalling. Not
the execution on offense at all :)

I have nothing against Brady really. I think he's an exceptional
quarterback, but to me it looked clearly like he was mocking Lynch. He ran
up next to him and pumped his fist at the crowd like Lynch did. I didn't
mind it at all and took no offense or anything as a fan. I simply wondered
if it was particularly wise to fire up Lynch even more.

-Tomas

Adam Smith

Jan 16, 2006, 2:51:58 PM1/16/06

Tomas wrote:

> I have nothing against Brady really. I think he's an exceptional
> quarterback, but to me it looked clearly like he was mocking Lynch. He ran
> up next to him and pumped his fist at the crowd like Lynch did. I didn't
> mind it at all and took no offense or anything as a fan. I simply wondered
> if it was particularly wise to fire up Lynch even more.

That's how I saw it. It happened after a play was blown dead for a
false start. Lynch ended up in a bear hug with Brady, and then started
doing the fist-pumping thing, presumably to get under Brady's skin.
Brady started making fun of hiim. It's part of the game, and I don't
think less of either of them for it. I don't think it hurt though;
Lynch was already about as fired-up as a person can possibly be.

Excellent writeup, Tomas.

Adam Smith

Jan 16, 2006, 3:02:46 PM1/16/06

BobInBoulder wrote:

> Here is what pisses me off when I hear some national media joker saying that
> the questionable interference call and Champ's possible fumble through the
> end zone which could have resulted in a touchback instead of 1st and goal at
> the one gave the Broncos the game. How many touchdowns did NE score? ONE.
> And when did they score it? When the score was already 24-6. The Bronco
> defense won this game. Period. Even if you reverse those two plays, that
> does not in any way absolutely equate to a 14-point swing. No matter how
> you slice it, they held the supposed best playoff quarterback of all time to
> one touchdown and 13 points. Not too shabby.

It was one of those weird games where I was almost happier to see the
defense trotting out onto the field, simply because the big-play
potential was so much higher.

> Overall I thought that Belichick outcoached Shanahan .... tough to believe
> given the final score and all, but Belichick didn't put the ball on the
> ground 3 times or make the amazing play that Champ did. However, on one
> play in particular, Belichick did hurt the Pats. On the punt the Troy Brown
> fumbled, NE lined up without anyone back, like they were going to go all out
> to block the punt. Then at the snap they had Brown sprint back to catch the
> punt and reverted to full return mode. Needless to say, it HAS to be easier
> to catch a punt if you are already in position than to sprint back like he
> had to and catch it. This bit of needless trickery hurt the Pats.

That's interesting. I hadn't thought about it but you're right. On a
similar note, someone in the Patriots' NG said the Bailey interception
was the result of a last-minute coverage switch by the Broncos right
before the snap that Brady apparently didn't notice. It's really
interesting to see how often "lucky" turnovers have obvious causes.

> I also think Jake is a good leader. This weekend will be an even better
> test.

He really has grown into leadership this year. It bodes well for when
Rod finally decides to retire.

Adam Smith

Jan 16, 2006, 3:35:23 PM1/16/06

Tomas wrote:
> First of all, what a rush. Like most others, I expect, I was pacing around
> tingling all day until the game (which started at 02.00 here, so it was a
> long day). The early game was entertaining, but couldn't really hold my
> attention waiting for the Broncos to take the field.

While I'm at it I'll just drop a response on _every_ post in this
thread.

I was more tense for this game than for any other game since Super Bowl
32. The '98 playoffs weren't that gut-wrenching, since only one of the
three games was ever really in doubt. The Broncos' playoff games since
then were all pretty much finished by halftime, if not sooner. But
Saturday night... oh man. I had completely forgotten what it was like
to feel that kind of gut-wrenching nervousness. Good times, good
times.

Brent Wiescamp

Jan 16, 2006, 3:47:13 PM1/16/06

"Tomas" <not@all> wrote in message
> First of all, what a rush. Like most others, I expect, I was pacing around
> tingling all day until the game (which started at 02.00 here, so it was a
> long day). The early game was entertaining, but couldn't really hold my
> attention waiting for the Broncos to take the field.

Shyeah! That's a fact.

> My thoughts on the game:
>
> 1) Offensive gameplanning very, very good.

I wasn't particularly fond of the offensive side of things. The lowlights
would be the 3rd and fourth down calls near the endzone. But what you said
about sticking to the run is true and something I liked. It saved their
butts with the long completion to Hot Rod on the play action late in the
fourth.

> 2) Defense gameplanning equally good.

That I liked. There were several times when Brady just didn't look like
Brady.

> 3) Special teams.

That I liked too. Especially Sauerbrun's forced fumble. That dude's a stocky
little rock.

> 8) Fans were LOUD. Even on the broadcast it was clear and New England had
> four false starts.

Whoooooo Hoooooo! That's the loudest I've been since just after the Pitt
game yesterday and I typed it. Gotta save it for Sunday. I'm on a strictly
need to talk basis until then.

> 9) Tom Brady mocking John Lynch firing up the crowd after the Patriots
first
> three and out. Confidence is fine and all, but I'm not sure Lynch is
someone
> I'd want to fire up unnecessarily.

I missed that. I've really got to take a look at the recording.

> This is going to be another long week of anticipation.

Shyeah!

Good one Tomas! That was a good read.

M. Zaiem Beg

Jan 16, 2006, 5:20:13 PM1/16/06
On 16 Jan 2006, Adam Smith wrote:

->That's interesting. I hadn't thought about it but you're right. On a
->similar note, someone in the Patriots' NG said the Bailey interception
->was the result of a last-minute coverage switch by the Broncos right
->before the snap that Brady apparently didn't notice. It's really
->interesting to see how often "lucky" turnovers have obvious causes.

Yeah. A non-verbal thing, no less. Even Champ couldn't really explain how
it was communicated. "It's just a thing." And of course, Brady was under
pressure and had to hurry the throw.

->> I also think Jake is a good leader. This weekend will be an even better
->> test.
->
->He really has grown into leadership this year. It bodes well for when
->Rod finally decides to retire.

Speaking of Rod, does anyone else look at Hines Ward and see a bigger
version of Rod Smith?

--
M. Zaiem Beg zb...@iglou.com

Adam Smith

Jan 16, 2006, 5:33:22 PM1/16/06

M. Zaiem Beg wrote:

> Speaking of Rod, does anyone else look at Hines Ward and see a bigger
> version of Rod Smith?

A Steelers fan asked Peter King (I think) if Hines Ward was the best
"intangibles" receiver of his generation. The answer was "No, Rod
Smith is." (Followed by "But Ward is great, etc, etc.")

Howard Brazee

Jan 16, 2006, 5:54:42 PM1/16/06
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:20:13 -0500, "M. Zaiem Beg" <zb...@iglou.com>
wrote:

>>That's interesting. I hadn't thought about it but you're right. On a
>->similar note, someone in the Patriots' NG said the Bailey interception
>->was the result of a last-minute coverage switch by the Broncos right
>->before the snap that Brady apparently didn't notice. It's really
>->interesting to see how often "lucky" turnovers have obvious causes.
>
>Yeah. A non-verbal thing, no less. Even Champ couldn't really explain how
>it was communicated. "It's just a thing." And of course, Brady was under
>pressure and had to hurry the throw.

Apparently, the Patriots were doing a play that was awfully close to a
pick. Champ and Darrent discussed this, and they agreed that when
they saw this happening again, they would stay where they were. On
the goal line, with a blitz coming, they noticed two receivers lining
up right next to each other. A quick glance at each other confirmed
that they both saw this - they anticipated a pick play and were ready.

So Williams could have had the big play - but it is Bailey making all
of them better.

Fred Waiss, Sr.

Jan 18, 2006, 8:06:17 PM1/18/06

"Adam Smith" <adamc...@fastmail.us> wrote in message
I saw it that way, too. I wondered if Brady wasn't taking himself out of
his own focus. But what I really liked was that at the end of that first
series, Brady was complaining to the official about non-calls. I thought that
was great. If he was worried about the officiating, that was one part of his
mind not on his play. Which seemed to be the case for the first half.