It's all on Quincy now

Chad Scott

Apr 20, 2002, 10:24:10 PM4/20/02
Jerry has done a tremendous job of upgrading the roster this offseason.
Frankly, it's a makeover similar to his personal cosmetic tinkering last
offseason. Now it's all on Quincy Carter. If Q improves off his pretty
good play toward the end of last season, I'm expecting this to be a
playoff team. We still need a few parts, but we've got the post-June
period to get them. We'll need at least one tight end and probably a
veteran possession receiver. Get those, and we could be in for a very
rewarding season.
--
Chad Scott

will

Apr 20, 2002, 10:27:38 PM4/20/02

The only problem with this thinking is that EVERYBODY has to do their
job. I don't care about reputation or celebrity, every guy still has
to perform.
I got burned out on expecting guys with resumes to carry us anywhere
back in 1996.

Self hating cowboys fan

Apr 20, 2002, 10:34:58 PM4/20/02
Biter

"Chad Scott" <wi...@alumni.utexas.net> wrote in message

Chad Scott

Apr 20, 2002, 10:59:18 PM4/20/02
will wrote:

> The only problem with this thinking is that EVERYBODY has to do their
> job. I don't care about reputation or celebrity, every guy still has
> to perform.
> I got burned out on expecting guys with resumes to carry us anywhere
> back in 1996.

I'm not anticipating unexpected improvement from known quantities. It's
Quincy who is the x-factor (or q-factor, if you prefer). If he plays
well, this is a playoff team. If he plays poorly, we're in trouble.
--
Chad Scott

will

Apr 20, 2002, 11:11:42 PM4/20/02
On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 21:59:18 -0500, Chad Scott
<wi...@alumni.utexas.net> wrote:

>will wrote:
>
>> The only problem with this thinking is that EVERYBODY has to do their
>> job. I don't care about reputation or celebrity, every guy still has
>> to perform.
>> I got burned out on expecting guys with resumes to carry us anywhere
>> back in 1996.
>
>I'm not anticipating unexpected improvement from known quantities.

Nope. What you seem to be assuming is that there is such a thing as a
known quantity. At some point guys like Leon Lett and Troy Aikman went
from "known quantities" to non factors on the field. Nothing is static
in the NFL. Thinking that was the case is what got Jerry into trouble.

EJ

Apr 21, 2002, 12:03:10 AM4/21/02
"will" <will...@dallascowboys.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 21:59:18 -0500, Chad Scott
> <wi...@alumni.utexas.net> wrote:
>
> >will wrote:
> >
> >> The only problem with this thinking is that EVERYBODY has to do their
> >> job. I don't care about reputation or celebrity, every guy still has
> >> to perform.
> >> I got burned out on expecting guys with resumes to carry us anywhere
> >> back in 1996.
> >
> >I'm not anticipating unexpected improvement from known quantities.
>
> Nope. What you seem to be assuming is that there is such a thing as a
> known quantity. At some point guys like Leon Lett and Troy Aikman went
> from "known quantities" to non factors on the field. Nothing is static
> in the NFL. Thinking that was the case is what got Jerry into trouble.

There's much truth in will's observation

Thomas Jenson

Apr 21, 2002, 1:23:02 AM4/21/02
will...@dallascowboys.com (will) wrote in message news:<3cc22302...@news.cis.dfn.de>...

We just need steady, consistent, no turnover play from QC. Nothing
spectacular. Dilfer-like.

Ray

Apr 21, 2002, 5:57:10 AM4/21/02
"EJ" <ejor...@swbell.net> wrote in message news:<2Sqw8.11643$0f2.23...@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>...

He is sometimes known as " Sitting Bull", or is it bull sitting, hmmmmmmmm.

Ray

Apr 21, 2002, 6:47:22 AM4/21/02
will...@dallascowboys.com (will) wrote in message news:<3cc22d2f...@news.cis.dfn.de>...

> On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 21:59:18 -0500, Chad Scott
> <wi...@alumni.utexas.net> wrote:
>
> >will wrote:
> >
> >> The only problem with this thinking is that EVERYBODY has to do their
> >> job. I don't care about reputation or celebrity, every guy still has
> >> to perform.
> >> I got burned out on expecting guys with resumes to carry us anywhere
> >> back in 1996.
> >
> >I'm not anticipating unexpected improvement from known quantities.
>
> Nope. What you seem to be assuming is that there is such a thing as a
> known quantity. At some point guys like Leon Lett and Troy Aikman went
> from "known quantities" to non factors on the field. Nothing is static
> in the NFL. Thinking that was the case is what got Jerry into trouble.

Nope, what you still haven't learned is that the known quantities
cannot do it alone and they never have. They just get the most credit
when things go well and most of the blame when things go poorly. What
got Jerry into trouble,(not just Jerry) was the thinking that they
could, and disregarding the contributions from the likes of the
Jeffcoats, Darren Smith's, Stepnoski/Donaldson's, etc. I think the
league is and has been waking up to that reality and it is starting to
show in the salaries. Qb is still the most important position and the
one that will cost you the most if you don't have somebody there who
can manage the game, as Jimmy and some others have been saying lately,
which is code for being able to make the right decisions and not
turning the ball over, being able to throw decently. There is no
question that Carter is the x-factor now, barring injuries to any of
the other important positons on the team. If he continues how he
finished, this should be a playoff team. If he starts out like he did
last season then Dallas is in trouble. That said, center and tightend
are major concerns that won't help Carter succeed if the play at those
positions are poor. However, with the improvements on defense and the
other tools on offense, this should be a playoff team if Dallas gets
decent qb play. Should be an interesting season.
Ray

will

Apr 21, 2002, 9:25:16 AM4/21/02

Are you paying attention? This is what I wrote:
The only problem with this thinking is that EVERYBODY has to do their
job. I don't care about reputation or celebrity, every guy still has
to perform.

Let me add that includes the coaching staff.
This whole team is a question mark, IMO. We can't be sure whether the
running game will be dominant or erratic. Same with the passing game.
Special teams is an unknown. Will the new guys on defense be healthy
and improve the defense or was last year's defense a fluke based on
how teams played us? You can feel how you want because you see names
that seem like they'll be good, but it is still a team game and
nothing is static. Anything else is bad analysis.

Chad Scott

Apr 21, 2002, 9:35:24 AM4/21/02
will wrote:

> You can feel how you want because you see names
> that seem like they'll be good, but it is still a team game and
> nothing is static.

Fair enough. If we get representative performances from established
players, then Quincy Carter will be the determinant this season.
--
Chad Scott

Ace Brandt

Apr 21, 2002, 9:51:41 AM4/21/02

And, this is the most fun off-season in a long time. Although, I
remember when the Redskins loaded up with named talent and then
tanked.

...Ace

will

Apr 21, 2002, 10:01:58 AM4/21/02
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 13:51:41 GMT, acbr...@aceticket.net (Ace Brandt)
wrote:

Yeah, that's what sticks in my mind. And this draft
business where everybody goes wild over Jerry's genius. To me this is
the flip side of last year. I STILL want to see these guys play as
Cowboys before I run off at the mouth.

>...Ace

Chad Scott

Apr 21, 2002, 10:05:20 AM4/21/02
will wrote:

> Yeah, that's what sticks in my mind. And this draft
> business where everybody goes wild over Jerry's genius. To me this is
> the flip side of last year. I STILL want to see these guys play as
> Cowboys before I run off at the mouth.

You don't have to wait for them to play to know that Jerry got great
value in the draft. He made good trades and picked players at or below
where they were projected to go.
--
Chad Scott

will

Apr 21, 2002, 10:17:05 AM4/21/02

Sure. But hypothetical value in the draft means nothing. You can be
excited over it, but I'm only concerned with the reality of their play
over time.

Ace Brandt

Apr 21, 2002, 10:26:55 AM4/21/02

Yes, Jerry did great. Remember what we all were saying last year?
They all might turn out to be bums, but right now I am a very happy
camper.

>..Ace

Chad Scott

Apr 21, 2002, 12:45:06 PM4/21/02
will wrote:

> Sure. But hypothetical value in the draft means nothing.

It's not meaningless. Take the Bengals, for example. They got a player
most people think will be very good in the NFL. Unfortunately for them,
they got him too early. Had they traded down a bit and picked up some
additional picks, they would still have gotten their man *and* added
more chances to find a guy that sticks. That's called managing the
draft, and it is very important. It's what enabled us to move up to get
Antonio Bryant.

> You can be excited over it, but I'm only concerned with the reality of > their play over time.

That's obviously the most important thing, but you have to weigh
contributions against the cost of acquisition. A backup quarterback is
important on the field. A backup quarterback selected in the first round
was not a good value. Looking at one of these components without the
other is ignorant.
--
Chad Scott

will

Apr 21, 2002, 8:06:03 PM4/21/02
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 12:10:34 -0500, JustForFun
<justf...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:01:58 GMT, will...@dallascowboys.com (will)

>The excitement now isn't about what the players actually *do*. It's
>about Jerry doing what he said he was going to do and draft value, and

What it is about is guys looking at lists and getting excited when you
get a lot of names from the top of the lists that you recognize. :>)

>get players who *could* help this team immediately. Even if every pick
>tanks, this is still a GREAT draft for Jerry. (of course the Jerry
>Bashers won't agree)

To me if they all tank, it stinks. One phase is equivalent to
masturbation, the other is intercourse. Right now is the
masturbation phase. Everybody's doing it with a centerfold.

Larry Cottrill

Apr 22, 2002, 3:57:41 AM4/22/02
will wrote:

> To me if they all tank,

They probably all went to TCU... :-)

> it stinks. One phase is equivalent to
> masturbation, the other is intercourse. Right now is the
> masturbation phase. Everybody's doing it with a centerfold.

Actually, I've been spendin' too much time on the computer the last few
days... haven't even gotten to the masturbation phase yet... LOL...

will

Apr 22, 2002, 9:21:54 AM4/22/02

After that TCU crack, why don't you move to the intercourse phase
right now and go intercourse yourself? :>)

Really, I can't complain. You were the one promoting Schobel. He went
to the Bengals, right? Poor soul.

Larry Cottrill

Apr 22, 2002, 12:08:25 PM4/22/02
will wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:57:41 -0400, Larry Cottrill
> <bear...@shentel.net> wrote:
>
> >will wrote:
> >
> >> To me if they all tank,
> >
> >They probably all went to TCU... :-)
> >
> >> it stinks. One phase is equivalent to
> >> masturbation, the other is intercourse. Right now is the
> >> masturbation phase. Everybody's doing it with a centerfold.
> >
> >Actually, I've been spendin' too much time on the computer the last few
> >days... haven't even gotten to the masturbation phase yet... LOL...
>
> After that TCU crack, why don't you move to the intercourse phase
> right now and go intercourse yourself? :>)

I'm sorry, but you can't feed me that sort of straight line and expect
me to ignore it...

> Really, I can't complain. You were the one promoting Schobel. He went
> to the Bengals, right? Poor soul.

Yeah, he didn't deserve that... the hell of it is, if he hadn't gone
there, he would have wound up with the Lions (the Bungles traded up just
in front of Detroit for precisely that reason)... talk about lose/lose;
somewhere in a past life, the lad has incurred some major negative
karma...

Or maybe he's just bein' punished for goin' to TCU...

will

Apr 22, 2002, 1:10:11 PM4/22/02
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:08:25 -0400, Larry Cottrill
<bear...@shentel.net> wrote:

>will wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:57:41 -0400, Larry Cottrill
>> <bear...@shentel.net> wrote:

>> >They probably all went to TCU... :-)

>> >Actually, I've been spendin' too much time on the computer the last few
>> >days... haven't even gotten to the masturbation phase yet... LOL...
>>
>> After that TCU crack, why don't you move to the intercourse phase
>> right now and go intercourse yourself? :>)
>
>I'm sorry, but you can't feed me that sort of straight line and expect
>me to ignore it...

Wouldn't want you to, either.

>> Really, I can't complain. You were the one promoting Schobel. He went
>> to the Bengals, right? Poor soul.
>
>Yeah, he didn't deserve that... the hell of it is, if he hadn't gone
>there, he would have wound up with the Lions (the Bungles traded up just
>in front of Detroit for precisely that reason)... talk about lose/lose;
>somewhere in a past life, the lad has incurred some major negative
>karma...
>
>Or maybe he's just bein' punished for goin' to TCU...

UTEP is punishment in and of itself.:>)

Robert J Reynolds

Apr 22, 2002, 2:01:06 PM4/22/02
If they get a good TE, they should have a good veteran possession
receiver. The problem with Dallas last year was consistancy at QB-they
didn't have any. Decent QB play last year and they finish anywhere from
8-8 to 10-6-and miss out on Roy Williams entirely.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but Antonio Bryant reminds me a lot
of Michael Irvin. Same attitude, same strengths (though Bryant seems to
have slightly better physical skills) and similar weaknesses. Time will
tell.

Robert Reynolds

I fear all we have done is to have awakened a sleeping giant and filled
him with a terrible resolve.

Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Imperial Fleet

He was born with the gift of laughter and a belief that the world was
mad.

Raphael Sabatini

The hottest circle of Hell is reserved for those who, in times of great
crisis, do nohing.

Edmund Burke

May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be always at your
back,may the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall soft upon
your fields, and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of
his hand. Irish blessing

Allan Guyton

Apr 22, 2002, 7:29:05 PM4/22/02
Chad Scott <wi...@alumni.utexas.net> wrote in message news:<3CC222...@alumni.utexas.net>...
> Jerry has done a tremendous job of upgrading the roster this offseason.
> Frankly, it's a makeover similar to his personal cosmetic tinkering last
> offseason. Now it's all on Quincy Carter.

I wouldn't put it 'all' on QC, but I'd say that if this team is below .500,
it's because he didn't progress. And that, provided we can get a
decent TE between now and camp.

Allan

FishStixx

Apr 25, 2002, 5:47:58 PM4/25/02
Hey! no making fun of my school (UTEP)....aka Taco-Tech

"will" <will...@dallascowboys.com> wrote in message

will

Apr 25, 2002, 1:30:25 PM4/25/02
FishStixx wrote:

> Hey! no making fun of my school (UTEP)....aka Taco-Tech

I think God saved my life by keeping me away from there. I would have had
too much fun.
We are what we are. I'm a UTEP UTA UNT and maybe UH type guy. Probably UTSA
as well. The Aggies I'm a little unsure of because of the enthusiasm stuff
and the Longhorns are too in love with themselves. I can't stand a mob of
people in love with themselves. Don't think much of TCU types either.
That's described as a clique in love with themselves.

Bear

Apr 26, 2002, 12:56:51 AM4/26/02
will <wi...@quincycarterbandwagon.com> wrote in message news:<aaa0pa$941uo$1...@ID-20580.news.dfncis.de>...

> FishStixx wrote:
>
> > Hey! no making fun of my school (UTEP)....aka Taco-Tech
>
> I think God saved my life by keeping me away from there. I would have had
> too much fun.

Wise man... personally, I majored in golf and minored in Juarez...

Graduated with honors in both... :-)