OT: Disco

Barry

Jan 16, 2003, 9:53:31 PM1/16/03
While watching the ABC special "Disco Ball" I realized something. The music
of my youth sucks as bad now as it did back then.

Barry

Dennis Lee

Jan 17, 2003, 12:26:54 AM1/17/03
Yep.

EJ

Jan 17, 2003, 12:40:16 AM1/17/03

It wasn't that bad, disco got a bad rap - just as rap music does nowadays.
There's a ton of junk produced in any super popular genre but that doesn't
mean there weren't some great artists in the bunch, despite Men At Work and
Kool & the Gang ... and other such bubble gum. And some artists were
"labeled" as disco for money sake by the record companies, anything you
could dance to met the marketing criteria.:

My boys Earth, Wind, and Fire are by any measure and *irrefutable audio
evidence* the greatest R&B band of all time.

There other great artists who dropped in a few contributions to "disco",
like Diana Ross, Rick James, the Whispers, as well as the Maestro, Barry
White ... I even heard George Clinton and Aeorsmith played in "disco-techs".
Hell even Teddy Pendergrass with "Close the Door ", the Eagles "I Can't Tell
you Why", and Rod Stewarts "Tonight's The Night " were at listed at the top
of the disco charts ... they don't make slow jams like that no more.

Ever pull a babe when "Last Dance" was playing?

Or get busy with Donna Summer singing (moaning) "Love To love You"?

All that said it wasn't Frampton (a moment of silence please) ... and it
damn sure wasn't Zeppelin :-)

***
Sorry Kim - I'm just not a Nugget fan.

"Dennis Lee" <den...@gazinkus.com> wrote in message

sandman89

Jan 17, 2003, 2:23:55 AM1/17/03
i actually like a lot of disco (it's really just funky pop to shake your
ass to) but there was a lot of junk and 1 hit wonders, too. it got
watered down, just like any form of music that gets overly popular and
then everyone and their brother tries to capitalize on it.

i like KC and the sunshine band, donna summer, diana ross and then there
were all those 1 hit wonders...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 3:30:47 AM1/17/03

Disco sux... it's a scientifically proven fact...

Kevin Brook

Jan 17, 2003, 4:21:35 AM1/17/03
"Barry" <barr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<KeKV9.179$FG7.10...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>...

> While watching the ABC special "Disco Ball" I realized something. The music
> of my youth sucks as bad now as it did back then.

"Ain't No Stopping Us Now" by McFadden & Whitehead was the official
song of the Philadelphia Eagles when they played against your beloved
Dallas Cowboys in 1979. That song does NOT suck. It has a positive
message and it sounds great. Usher did a nice job covering that song
on "The Disco Ball".

"Celebration" by Kool and the Gang was the official song of the 1981
Super Bowl as well as the 1981 NBA Championships. Not a bad song
either, even if it isn't their best. It's still played at dance
parties and ice rinks to this day. That wouldn't be happening if it
sucked.

Donny and Marie Osmond gave a rendition of the disco hit "We Are
Family" at the Closing Ceremony of the 2002 Winter Olympics. Sister
Sledge were a great act and this was a decent song, plus they didn't
just do disco songs, they also did R&B and ballads throughout their
career.

So it looks like lots of sports fans, cheerleaders, and players like
disco.

Your blanket argument against disco is pretty weak. EJ mentioned some
great artists.

"Let's Groove" by Earth, Wind and Fire is great.

"Love Hangover" by Diana Ross is great and the opener is nice and
slow.

"You and I" by Rick James is very funky.

"And the Beat Goes On" by the Whispers is great.

"What Am I Gonna Do With You?" and "The First, the Last, My
Everything" by Barry White are mighty fine love songs.

"You Can't Hide From Yourself" was one of Teddy Pendergrass's disco
songs. Again, it's pretty good.

sandman89

Jan 17, 2003, 4:27:26 AM1/17/03
i grew up with stuff like van halen, led zep, the scorpions- mostly hard
rock stuff and i thought the same thing...until i actually stopped and
listened and gave it a chance. i like funk and don't mind pop (i'm a
sucker for a good hook).

hey, if you wanna discount all an entire genre of music, like you do
everyone who uses a specific ISP, that's your loss =)

______
From: bear...@shentel.net (Larry Cottrill)

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 5:46:25 AM1/17/03

Tell the truth, you've got a closet full of polyester bellbottoms, don't
you?? Perhaps even a leisure suit??

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 5:49:10 AM1/17/03
sandman89 wrote:

> i grew up with stuff like van halen, led zep, the scorpions- mostly hard
> rock stuff and i thought the same thing...

I grew up on blues and folk rock... a little Southern rock mixed in for
variety...

I don't give a rat's ass about a dance groove, I want a good melody and
some lyrics that say something... if the lyrics are good enough, I'll
cut you some slack on the melody...

> until i actually stopped and
> listened and gave it a chance. i like funk and don't mind pop (i'm a
> sucker for a good hook).

> hey, if you wanna discount all an entire genre of music,

If it's disco or rap, I sure do...

Barry

Jan 17, 2003, 9:35:32 AM1/17/03

"EJ" <ejor...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> It wasn't that bad, disco got a bad rap - just as rap music does nowadays.
> There's a ton of junk produced in any super popular genre but that doesn't
> mean there weren't some great artists in the bunch, despite Men At Work
and
> Kool & the Gang ... and other such bubble gum. And some artists were
> "labeled" as disco for money sake by the record companies, anything you
> could dance to met the marketing criteria.:

Hey, I was a member of the "KISS Army" and have never been heartbroken as
bad as I was when "I was made for loving you" came out. It seems that
everybody had a Disco song, that didn't make it any less sucky though.

> My boys Earth, Wind, and Fire are by any measure and *irrefutable audio
> evidence* the greatest R&B band of all time.
>
> There other great artists who dropped in a few contributions to "disco",
> like Diana Ross, Rick James, the Whispers, as well as the Maestro, Barry
> White ... I even heard George Clinton and Aeorsmith played in
"disco-techs".
> Hell even Teddy Pendergrass with "Close the Door ", the Eagles "I Can't
Tell
> you Why", and Rod Stewarts "Tonight's The Night " were at listed at the
top
> of the disco charts ... they don't make slow jams like that no more.
>
> Ever pull a babe when "Last Dance" was playing?
>
> Or get busy with Donna Summer singing (moaning) "Love To love You"?

I would've played Spike Jones if I thought it might get me some action.

> All that said it wasn't Frampton (a moment of silence please) ... and it
> damn sure wasn't Zeppelin :-)

Is Frampton dead? I hated Peter Frampton almost as much as I hated Shaun
Cassidy. Frampton was a good guitarist when he was with Humble Pie but he
got a little cheesy when he went solo. Zep was cool though.

Barry

Jan 17, 2003, 9:43:53 AM1/17/03

"Larry Cottrill" <bear...@shentel.net> wrote in message

> sandman89 wrote:
>
> > i grew up with stuff like van halen, led zep, the scorpions- mostly hard
> > rock stuff and i thought the same thing...
>
> I grew up on blues and folk rock... a little Southern rock mixed in for
> variety...

I would have pegged you as a John Denver, Dan Fogelberg and Gordon Lightfoot
guy. Did you wear hiking books and eat a lot of Granola during the 70s?

> I don't give a rat's ass about a dance groove, I want a good melody and
> some lyrics that say something... if the lyrics are good enough, I'll
> cut you some slack on the melody...
>
> > until i actually stopped and
> > listened and gave it a chance. i like funk and don't mind pop (i'm a
> > sucker for a good hook).
>
> > hey, if you wanna discount all an entire genre of music,
>
> If it's disco or rap, I sure do...

Amen to that!

Barry

Barry

Jan 17, 2003, 10:01:16 AM1/17/03

"Kevin Brook" <kuz...@lycos.com> wrote in message

> "Barry" <barr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > While watching the ABC special "Disco Ball" I realized something. The
music
> > of my youth sucks as bad now as it did back then.
>
> "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" by McFadden & Whitehead was the official
> song of the Philadelphia Eagles when they played against your beloved
> Dallas Cowboys in 1979. That song does NOT suck. It has a positive
> message and it sounds great. Usher did a nice job covering that song
> on "The Disco Ball".

I guess if you have to rate that song as good, then yea, they did.

> "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang was the official song of the 1981
> Super Bowl

Yea, and how'd that work out for ya? :-)

>as well as the 1981 NBA Championships. Not a bad song
> either, even if it isn't their best. It's still played at dance
> parties and ice rinks to this day. That wouldn't be happening if it
> sucked.
>
> Donny and Marie Osmond gave a rendition of the disco hit "We Are
> Family" at the Closing Ceremony of the 2002 Winter Olympics. Sister
> Sledge were a great act and this was a decent song, plus they didn't
> just do disco songs, they also did R&B and ballads throughout their
> career.
>
> So it looks like lots of sports fans, cheerleaders, and players like
> disco.

That doesn't make it good music.

> Your blanket argument against disco is pretty weak. EJ mentioned some
> great artists.
>
> "Let's Groove" by Earth, Wind and Fire is great.
>
> "Love Hangover" by Diana Ross is great and the opener is nice and
> slow.
>
> "You and I" by Rick James is very funky.
>
> "And the Beat Goes On" by the Whispers is great.
>
> "What Am I Gonna Do With You?" and "The First, the Last, My
> Everything" by Barry White are mighty fine love songs.
>
> "You Can't Hide From Yourself" was one of Teddy Pendergrass's disco
> songs. Again, it's pretty good.

I guess it's a matter of taste. Personally, I don't like one song on your
list. Then again you'd probably hate a lot of the stuff I listen to also.

Barry

will

Jan 17, 2003, 10:05:56 AM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 05:49:10 -0500, Larry Cottrill
<bear...@shentel.net> wrote:

>sandman89 wrote:
>
>> i grew up with stuff like van halen, led zep, the scorpions- mostly hard
>> rock stuff and i thought the same thing...
>
>I grew up on blues and folk rock... a little Southern rock mixed in for
>variety...

Lightnin' Hopkins?

will

Jan 17, 2003, 10:08:17 AM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:01:16 GMT, "Barry" <barr...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

I'd rather hear disco than Tim McGraw sing "Tiny Dancer" on my country
station.

I'm starting to dislike him between that song and knowing what he's
doing to Faith Hill.

Barry

Jan 17, 2003, 10:50:00 AM1/17/03

"will" <wi...@quincycarterbandwagon.com> wrote in message

That's the best she could do after her and I split.

Barry

Dr. Trumpet

Jan 17, 2003, 11:52:54 AM1/17/03
In article <4HMV9.208$P27.13...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
"EJ" <ejor...@swbell.net> wrote:

> My boys Earth, Wind, and Fire are by any measure and *irrefutable audio
> evidence* the greatest R&B band of all time.

Oh yes, EW&F are da bomb!

Dr. Trumpet

Jan 17, 2003, 11:56:20 AM1/17/03
In article <eb613152.0301...@posting.google.com>,
kuz...@lycos.com (Kevin Brook) wrote:

> "Let's Groove" by Earth, Wind and Fire is great.

September, Something Happened Along the Way, Boogie Wonderland, Shining
Star, Fantasy,.......shall I continue? They could play.

The horns in EW&F were the same horn players who toured with Phil
Collins during his solo record tours.....they went by the name "Phoenix
Horns" when the toured with Phil.

Dr. Trumpet

Jan 17, 2003, 11:58:21 AM1/17/03
In article <rv6g2vsik8cjtfeps...@4ax.com>,
will <wi...@quincycarterbandwagon.com> wrote:

> I'm starting to dislike him between that song and knowing what he's
> doing to Faith Hill.

Barefoot and pregnant is no way to go through life, sister......

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 12:21:52 PM1/17/03
Barry wrote:

> "Larry Cottrill" <bear...@shentel.net> wrote in message
> > sandman89 wrote:

> > > i grew up with stuff like van halen, led zep, the scorpions- mostly hard
> > > rock stuff and i thought the same thing...

> > I grew up on blues and folk rock... a little Southern rock mixed in for
> > variety...

> I would have pegged you as a John Denver, Dan Fogelberg and Gordon Lightfoot
> guy. Did you wear hiking books and eat a lot of Granola during the 70s?

Fogelburg is a great favorite of mine, as a matter of fact... I think I
might have had some Denver and Lightfoot on 8-track, way back when, but
they were never my favorites; back then, I had a LOT of tapes...

I'm from the Eagles/Jackson Browne/Bonnie Raitt school of rock & roll...
call it "Desert Rock", LOL... when I first heard the "Hell Freezes Over"
album, I told my friends that the Eagles are where rock goes when it
grows up... their "new" stuff was even better than the stuff I grew up
on...

And James Taylor is why I wanted to learn guitar... I could always sing
his stuff... I also always liked Springsteen, though I really couldn't
tell you why...

Now, for really obscure, I was HEAVILY into Don McLean, of "American
Pie" fame... I caught him in concert one time, he walked out on stage
with that big ol' Martin dreadnought, nary a backup musician in sight,
and for two hours he and that Martin made the most amazing music... from
shuffle boogie to samba, Don showed me an ability as a guitarist that I
never suspected... his voice was mediocre at best, but check out some of
his albums and you might see what I mean about his ability with that
guitar...

And no, I never ever wore hiking boots, and granola tastes like tree
bark... I guess I just defy stereotyping...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 12:24:17 PM1/17/03
will wrote:

> I'd rather hear disco than Tim McGraw sing "Tiny Dancer" on my country

> station.\

You mean, Elton John's "Tiny Dancer"??

I can't even begin to imagine what McGraw would sound like singing that
one... I think I'm glad I'm not listening to the radio in my Jeep on the
way to work these days (my nephew carpools with me, and I've turned him
into a huge Jim Croce fan with a box set of Jim's best)...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 12:25:21 PM1/17/03

Allman Brothers... didn't care as much for Lynyrd Skynyrd, with the
notable exception of a couple-three songs...

natch

Jan 17, 2003, 12:26:56 PM1/17/03
"EJ" <ejor...@swbell.net> wrote in message news:<4HMV9.208$P27.13...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>...
> It wasn't that bad, disco got a bad rap - just as rap music does nowadays.

disco sucked and rap is the worst form of music ever created

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 12:27:41 PM1/17/03

OK, here's a rock story I once heard, I can't vouch for its veracity...

It seems that back when glasnost was just gettin' off the ground, the
Russians wanted an American "rock" band to tour their country... of all
people, they selected the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band... this was back when
they were tryin' to go rock, and just called themselves the Dirt Band...
anyway, the Russians wanted them to bring a female lead singer, and they
supposedly chose Stevie Nicks...

If that story's true, I'd give just about anything to have a bootleg
tape of one of those concerts...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 12:34:53 PM1/17/03

Adding to the list, I have always liked the guys who do the comic
songs... I was devastated when Jim Croce died (I was a lot younger
then), and now I'm a devout Parrothead... in fact, I'm listening to
Radio Margaritaville as I sit here typing this...

Zaxor

Jan 17, 2003, 12:53:05 PM1/17/03
Uo Uo Me too!!!!
and oh by the way
I do have Don McClean, Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, Jackson Browne,
Eagles, Grassroots, Uriah Heep and others on CD had them all on 8 track some
on Reel to Reel than I had them on LP but what I like to listen to with a
women is Moody Blues on a Threshold of a Dream all those old Moody Blues
albums are best with Headphones though.

Zaxor

"Larry Cottrill" <bear...@shentel.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Barry

Jan 17, 2003, 12:54:10 PM1/17/03

"Larry Cottrill" <bear...@shentel.net> wrote in message

My wife and I went to a Buffett show in Dallas last year. The parking lot
party was the most creative thing I think I've ever seen. My wife thought I
was weird because I wore a Hawaiian shirt, shorts and a cowboy hat. When we
got to the parking lot party she thought I had dressed down. One guy had a
14-foot trailer filled with sand and a small swimming pool. Another had a
blender, complete with handlebars and a throttle.

The show he put on was just as fun as the party before. Well, except for
the guy sitting in the grass next to us who spent the entire show slumped
over puking in a plastic sack. He did get up once for "Cheeseburger in
Paradise" and then promptly went back to slumping.

All in all a great show and I hope he comes back this year.

Barry

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 1:00:18 PM1/17/03
Zaxor wrote:

> Uo Uo Me too!!!!
> and oh by the way
> I do have Don McClean, Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, Jackson Browne,
> Eagles, Grassroots,

Grass Roots?? Kewl... I thought I was the only one who even remembered
them... back when I was guest singing with the house band at the bar my
fiancee worked at, I made the boys learn "The Runway", and "Move
Along"... I still love the bass line in "Move Along"...

> Uriah Heep and others on CD had them all on 8 track some
> on Reel to Reel than I had them on LP but what I like to listen to with a
> women is Moody Blues on a Threshold of a Dream all those old Moody Blues
> albums are best with Headphones though.

I've got a Moody Blues concert video, I think it's called Live at Red
Rock... I don't even know why I bought it, I'm not a big MB fan, but I
do enjoy haulin' it out from time to time...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 1:03:59 PM1/17/03

Jimmy's at his very best when he's live... he talks to the people
between songs, and he's quite funny...

If you want a hoot, go to Margaritaville.com, and check out the stuff he
sells in his online store... it's got everything for the devout
Parrothead, from shark fins you wear on your head to parrot beaks...

I made do with a plastic cup and coaster from his Margaritaville cafe, a
poster, a coupla t-shirts and a magnet for the back of my Jeep...

I was also impressed when he became an author... his novels aren't the
greatest, but his collection of short stories was very, very good...
"Off to See the Lizards" (he often used his song titles as titles for
his short stories) was a hilarious story about high school football in
Florida...

Dr. Trumpet

Jan 17, 2003, 1:33:38 PM1/17/03
In article <3E283E...@shentel.net>,
Larry Cottrill <bear...@shentel.net> wrote:

> I was devastated when Jim Croce died

Me too. Jim had such a way with words......lyrics meant something back
then.

Dr. Trumpet

Jan 17, 2003, 1:35:02 PM1/17/03
In article <3E2844...@shentel.net>,
Larry Cottrill <bear...@shentel.net> wrote:

> I've got a Moody Blues concert video, I think it's called Live at Red
> Rock... I don't even know why I bought it, I'm not a big MB fan, but I
> do enjoy haulin' it out from time to time...

There is nuthin' like being on stage with the Moody Blues playing the
entire Days of Future Past.............."Dark hearted orb that rules the
night....." sends shivers down your spine.

AL

Barry

Jan 17, 2003, 1:45:25 PM1/17/03

"Larry Cottrill" <bear...@shentel.net> wrote in message

Thanks, added it to the favorites.

> I made do with a plastic cup and coaster from his Margaritaville cafe, a
> poster, a coupla t-shirts and a magnet for the back of my Jeep...
>
> I was also impressed when he became an author... his novels aren't the
> greatest, but his collection of short stories was very, very good...
> "Off to See the Lizards" (he often used his song titles as titles for
> his short stories) was a hilarious story about high school football in
> Florida...

I read, "Where is Joe Merchant" and "Tales from Margaritaville". I get the
feeling there's a lot of his real life in these fictional stories.

You probably already knew this but Jerry Jeff Walker was the man who
introduced Jimmy to Key West. In case you haven't here's a link to an
interesting read.

http://www.jerryjeff.com/jjw.htm

From the article:
Jerry Jeff has lived-and is living again-the troubadour's life. Lots of
musicians talk about the road; Jerry Jeff really is the kid who rode his
thumb out of his hometown in upstate New York to such exotic destinations as
Key West (where he introduced another young musician named Jimmy Buffett to
the pleasures of island life).

Barry

sandman89

Jan 17, 2003, 1:14:38 PM1/17/03
i'll give you bonnie raitt but i *can't stand* the eagles (i do like the
song, "victim of love") or jackson browne. good thing music is
subjective =)

the eagles were 1 of the 1st bands to really gouge their fans and jack
up ticket prices to astonishing levels during their reunion tour and i
hate them for that, too.

_______
"Larry Cottrill" <bear...@shentel.net>

sandman89

Jan 17, 2003, 1:17:34 PM1/17/03
stevie nicks is incredible (actually, she's lost quite a bit in her
voice...but that happens to any aging rock vocalist). she's still my
fave female singer, tho.

_______
(MST+2) From: bear...@shentel.net

Greg Lentz

Jan 17, 2003, 1:53:17 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:24:17 -0500, Larry Cottrill <bear...@shentel.net>
wrote:

>will wrote:

Jim Croce was the bomb. Shame he died so young. I still listen to that
music.

Greg Lentz

Greg Lentz

Jan 17, 2003, 1:55:34 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:35:32 GMT, "Barry" <barr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"EJ" <ejor...@swbell.net> wrote in message
>>
>> It wasn't that bad, disco got a bad rap - just as rap music does nowadays.
>> There's a ton of junk produced in any super popular genre but that doesn't
>> mean there weren't some great artists in the bunch, despite Men At Work
>and
>> Kool & the Gang ... and other such bubble gum. And some artists were
>> "labeled" as disco for money sake by the record companies, anything you
>> could dance to met the marketing criteria.:
>>

>Hey, I was a member of the "KISS Army" and have never been heartbroken as
>bad as I was when "I was made for loving you" came out. It seems that
>everybody had a Disco song, that didn't make it any less sucky though.

But do you own a copy of "KISS Meets The Phantom of The Park" - the
made-for-TV KISS movie? Now that's loyalty.

>> All that said it wasn't Frampton (a moment of silence please) ... and it
>> damn sure wasn't Zeppelin :-)
>
>Is Frampton dead?

Frampton is most alive. Even says so on the album. No hair anymore
though.

Greg Lentz

Greg Lentz

Zaxor

Jan 17, 2003, 1:55:24 PM1/17/03

"Dr. Trumpet" <dr_trpt-...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Removes the colors from our sight

Zaxor

Zaxor

Jan 17, 2003, 1:58:14 PM1/17/03
Yup got abunch of his stuff too but still not sure how mean a junkyard dog
is though

Zaxor

"Dr. Trumpet" <dr_trpt-...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Dr. Trumpet

Jan 17, 2003, 2:00:49 PM1/17/03
In article <b09jno$3ce$01$1...@news.t-online.com>,
"Zaxor" <Za...@t-online.de> wrote:

> Yup got abunch of his stuff too but still not sure how mean a junkyard dog
> is though
>
> Zaxor

Downright UGLY. A junk yard dog was usually a doberman or a pit bull,
largely abused and malnourished, and generally ready to kill anything
that came near it.

Barry

Jan 17, 2003, 2:05:15 PM1/17/03

"Greg Lentz" <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

He must've been re-born for Frampton Comes Alive 2.

Barry

Barry

RB

Jan 17, 2003, 2:08:58 PM1/17/03

"EJ" <ejor...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> It wasn't that bad, disco got a bad rap - just as rap music does nowadays.
> There's a ton of junk produced in any super popular genre but that doesn't
> mean there weren't some great artists in the bunch, despite Men At Work
and
> Kool & the Gang ... and other such bubble gum.

**** Men At Work? That was hardly a disco act.

Look, Disco existed for one reason only: If you wanted to be where the hot
ladies were you had to be at a disco joint.
I hated the music but put up with it to satisfy other needs :^)
I'm proud to say I never spent a penny on a disco album.

And some artists were
> "labeled" as disco for money sake by the record companies, anything you
> could dance to met the marketing criteria.:
>

> My boys Earth, Wind, and Fire are by any measure and *irrefutable audio
> evidence* the greatest R&B band of all time.

**** For years after the end of disco, the EWF horn section provided tour
backup to many notable rock acts along with the Tower of Power Horns.

Greg Lentz

Jan 17, 2003, 2:12:34 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:58:14 +0100, "Zaxor" <Za...@t-online.de> wrote:

>Yup got abunch of his stuff too but still not sure how mean a junkyard dog
>is though

Approximately as bad as ol' King Kong. That song has never done a thing
for me though. I'm more of a "One Less Set of Footsteps" kind of guy.

Greg Lentz

Kim Cole

Jan 17, 2003, 2:16:28 PM1/17/03
"Greg Lentz" <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

Box #10
Photographs and Memories
Hey Tomorrow
Walking Back to Georgia...

The popular stuff wasn't nearly his best.

Dr. Trumpet

Jan 17, 2003, 2:39:51 PM1/17/03
In article <0blg2v4oti83cp5gp...@4ax.com>,
Greg Lentz <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

My favorite was "These Dreams"

Dr. Trumpet

Jan 17, 2003, 2:41:02 PM1/17/03
In article <b09kqe$n92bq$1...@ID-26365.news.dfncis.de>,
"Kim Cole" <kc...@coleconsulting.com> wrote:

I Got a Name. Great tune.

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 3:02:18 PM1/17/03
sandman89 wrote:

> stevie nicks is incredible (actually, she's lost quite a bit in her
> voice...but that happens to any aging rock vocalist). she's still my
> fave female singer, tho.

On a semi-unrelated note, I once met Mick Fleetwood at the ski resort I
worked at... this was maybe 20-25 years ago...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 3:04:04 PM1/17/03

Jimmy Buffett once had a line about his music, that I think is
appropriate for Croce too:

"People ask me how I can write those real sensitive songs, then write
that trash... I tell them I can be pretty sensitive on occasion, pretty
trashy on others"...

To me, the real secret behind Croce's sound was Maury Muehlheisen (I
hope I spelled his name right), the guy who backed him on guitar... that
boy had a unique style...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 3:05:40 PM1/17/03
Zaxor wrote:

> Yup got abunch of his stuff too but still not sure how mean a junkyard dog
> is though

My favorite Croce song was one of his album cuts, titled "Lover's Cross"

'Cause I never was much of a martyr before,
And I ain't 'bout to start nothin' new
But baby, I can't hang
Upon no lover's cross for you...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 3:08:33 PM1/17/03

He did several comic songs that were MUCH funnier than the ones that
became hits... "Roller Derby Queen", "Speedball Tucker", and "Rapid Roy
(the Stock Car Boy)" spring to mind...

And if you wanna HOWL, listen to his version of an old Scottish ballad,
"The Ball of Kerrymuir"... that thing is downright pornographic:

The village magician, he was there,
And he gave us all a laugh
He pulled his foreskin o'er his head,
And vanished up his ass...

That cut appears on a concert album, wish I could remember its title,
that was released posthumously...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 3:09:44 PM1/17/03

I LOVE "Walking Back to Georgia"... in particular, I liked the guitar
work on that one...

My 27 year old nephew is particularly fond of "New York's Not My
Home"...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 3:11:11 PM1/17/03

"If that's the way that you want it, that's the way I want it more"...

I think every guy has thought that at one point or another in his
life... corny as it sounds, I'm also fond of "I'll Have to Say I Love
You In a Song"... it's just a pretty, romantic ballad...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 3:11:50 PM1/17/03

I envy you that opportunity...

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 3:16:14 PM1/17/03
Barry wrote:

> > If you want a hoot, go to Margaritaville.com, and check out the stuff he
> > sells in his online store... it's got everything for the devout
> > Parrothead, from shark fins you wear on your head to parrot beaks...

> Thanks, added it to the favorites.

I really love listening to Radio Margaritaville late at night... and
with these Altec Lansing surround speakers, it sounds really good...

> > I made do with a plastic cup and coaster from his Margaritaville cafe, a
> > poster, a coupla t-shirts and a magnet for the back of my Jeep...

> > I was also impressed when he became an author... his novels aren't the
> > greatest, but his collection of short stories was very, very good...
> > "Off to See the Lizards" (he often used his song titles as titles for
> > his short stories) was a hilarious story about high school football in
> > Florida...

> I read, "Where is Joe Merchant" and "Tales from Margaritaville". I get the
> feeling there's a lot of his real life in these fictional stories.

Joe Merchant didn't do much for me, though it did kill a flight from DC
to Portland, Ore. for me...

Do you remember which of the short stories you liked best??

> You probably already knew this but Jerry Jeff Walker was the man who
> introduced Jimmy to Key West.

No, I didn't know that... that's pretty cool, I like ol' Jerry Jeff
too... I liked Hoyt Axton almost as much...

One thing I do know, it's long been a dream of mine to get drunk with
Jimmy over a fine anejo... I mean, knee-crawlin', commode-huggin'
drunk...

:-)

Larry Cottrill

Jan 17, 2003, 3:17:29 PM1/17/03

As I said, my 27 year old nephew is heavy into rap, particularly Eminem,
but he's come to love Croce almost as much as I do... he's been turnin'
his friends in one of the Yahoo chat rooms on to Croce, which I find
highly amusing...

Perhaps musical taste didn't really die with my generation, it's just
lying dormant...

will

Jan 17, 2003, 3:53:41 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:52:54 -0500, "Dr. Trumpet"
<dr_trpt-...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In article <4HMV9.208$P27.13...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,

> "EJ" <ejor...@swbell.net> wrote:
>
>> My boys Earth, Wind, and Fire are by any measure and *irrefutable audio
>> evidence* the greatest R&B band of all time.
>

>Oh yes, EW&F are da bomb!

LOL

Bob

Jan 17, 2003, 4:56:52 PM1/17/03

"sandman89" <sand...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> i actually like a lot of disco (it's really just funky pop to shake your
> ass to) but there was a lot of junk and 1 hit wonders, too. it got
> watered down, just like any form of music that gets overly popular and
> then everyone and their brother tries to capitalize on it.
>
> i like KC and the sunshine band, donna summer, diana ross and then there
> were all those 1 hit wonders...

you see what i mean Brother Bear?

Dr. Trumpet

Jan 17, 2003, 5:54:22 PM1/17/03
In article <3E2863...@shentel.net>,
Larry Cottrill <bear...@shentel.net> wrote:

One of the few perks of being in the business is that occasionally great
moments like that happen. So much of what I do is a machine
thing,.....this cut, that cut, record it this way. Really working with
a legend or two is a great reward.

Greg Lentz

Jan 17, 2003, 6:10:17 PM1/17/03

Yeah. Boy can that Ann Wilson belt a tune....

No seriously, that's a great one too. But I've got a list of his songs
that I love.

Greg Lentz

Greg Lentz

Jan 17, 2003, 6:11:12 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:04:04 -0500, Larry Cottrill <bear...@shentel.net>
wrote:

>Dr. Trumpet wrote:

Yep. Great acoustic lead guitar player, though Croce was no slouch in
that department to be able to sing and play those guitar parts at the same
time.

Greg Lentz

Barry

Jan 17, 2003, 6:12:36 PM1/17/03

> Barry wrote:
>
> > > If you want a hoot, go to Margaritaville.com, and check out the stuff
he
> > > sells in his online store... it's got everything for the devout
> > > Parrothead, from shark fins you wear on your head to parrot beaks...
>
> > Thanks, added it to the favorites.
>
> I really love listening to Radio Margaritaville late at night... and
> with these Altec Lansing surround speakers, it sounds really good...
>
> > > I made do with a plastic cup and coaster from his Margaritaville cafe,
> > > poster, a coupla t-shirts and a magnet for the back of my Jeep...
>
> > > I was also impressed when he became an author... his novels aren't the
> > > greatest, but his collection of short stories was very, very good...
> > > "Off to See the Lizards" (he often used his song titles as titles for
> > > his short stories) was a hilarious story about high school football in
> > > Florida...
>
> > I read, "Where is Joe Merchant" and "Tales from Margaritaville". I get
the
> > feeling there's a lot of his real life in these fictional stories.
>
> Joe Merchant didn't do much for me, though it did kill a flight from DC
> to Portland, Ore. for me...

Parts of it were pretty far out. He seems to do better if he keeps things
simple and straight to the point.

> Do you remember which of the short stories you liked best??

The Pascagoula Run, I love stories about being out on the road facing the
unexpected. That story is one of the ones I suspect has a lot of truth in
it.

> > You probably already knew this but Jerry Jeff Walker was the man who
> > introduced Jimmy to Key West.
>
> No, I didn't know that... that's pretty cool, I like ol' Jerry Jeff
> too... I liked Hoyt Axton almost as much...
>
> One thing I do know, it's long been a dream of mine to get drunk with
> Jimmy over a fine anejo... I mean, knee-crawlin', commode-huggin'
> drunk...
>
> :-)

Lol, if you get that bad you just might think he's there, even if he's not.
All this talk has me soooo ready for summer now. This year I'm going to
treat myself to a new hammock.

Barry

Greg Lentz

Jan 17, 2003, 6:13:11 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:05:40 -0500, Larry Cottrill <bear...@shentel.net>
wrote:

>Zaxor wrote:

It's one of a painful kind. Great song too.

Greg Lentz

Greg Lentz

Jan 17, 2003, 6:14:54 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:08:33 -0500, Larry Cottrill <bear...@shentel.net>
wrote:

>Greg Lentz wrote:

>> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:58:14 +0100, "Zaxor" <Za...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>> >Yup got abunch of his stuff too but still not sure how mean a junkyard dog
>> >is though
>
>> Approximately as bad as ol' King Kong. That song has never done a thing
>> for me though. I'm more of a "One Less Set of Footsteps" kind of guy.
>
>He did several comic songs that were MUCH funnier than the ones that
>became hits... "Roller Derby Queen", "Speedball Tucker", and "Rapid Roy
>(the Stock Car Boy)" spring to mind...

Tried to find me an executive position
But no matter how smooth I talked
They wouldn't listen to the fact that I was genius
The man said we got all that we can use
Now I got them steadily depressing, lowdown, mind messing
Working at the car wash blues

Greg Lentz

Greg Lentz

Jan 17, 2003, 6:15:50 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:09:44 -0500, Larry Cottrill <bear...@shentel.net>
wrote:

>Kim Cole wrote:

I like to play that one on the guitar every now and then (one of the few
that's not a huge stretch to play). And I think everyone's felt that way
once or twice in their life.

Greg Lentz

Greg Lentz

Jan 17, 2003, 6:16:17 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:11:11 -0500, Larry Cottrill <bear...@shentel.net>
wrote:

>Greg Lentz wrote:

>> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:58:14 +0100, "Zaxor" <Za...@t-online.de> wrote:
>>
>> >Yup got abunch of his stuff too but still not sure how mean a junkyard dog
>> >is though
>>
>> Approximately as bad as ol' King Kong. That song has never done a thing
>> for me though. I'm more of a "One Less Set of Footsteps" kind of guy.
>
>"If that's the way that you want it, that's the way I want it more"...
>
>I think every guy has thought that at one point or another in his
>life...

At least once.

Greg Lentz

EJ

Jan 17, 2003, 10:26:59 PM1/17/03
> will wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 05:49:10 -0500, Larry Cottrill
> > <bear...@shentel.net> wrote:

> > >I grew up on blues and folk rock... a little Southern rock mixed in for
> > >variety...
> >
> > Lightnin' Hopkins?
>
> Allman Brothers... didn't care as much for Lynyrd Skynyrd, with the
> notable exception of a couple-three songs...

Me either, Skynard just never had a back beat - my southern rock was Elvin
Bishop, Stevie Ray too (never got to see him play).

Mostly I like the California rock I grew up so close too, CCR, Santana,
Fleetwood Mac (I still wanna meet Stevie Nicks), the Eagles ... BTW the
"Hotel California" or rather the California Hotel is in San Bernardino not
far from where I grew up and it is said to be haunted ... we had some wild
Halloween parties there ...

Rodney Parker

Jan 17, 2003, 11:49:18 PM1/17/03

> Larry Cottrill wrote:

> > Barry wrote:
> >
> > > "Larry Cottrill" <bear...@shentel.net> wrote in message

> > > I would have pegged you as a John Denver, Dan Fogelberg and Gordon
Lightfoot
> > > guy. Did you wear hiking books and eat a lot of Granola during the
70s?

> > Fogelburg is a great favorite of mine, as a matter of fact... I think I
> > might have had some Denver and Lightfoot on 8-track, way back when, but
> > they were never my favorites; back then, I had a LOT of tapes...
> >
> > I'm from the Eagles/Jackson Browne/Bonnie Raitt school of rock & roll...
> > call it "Desert Rock", LOL... when I first heard the "Hell Freezes Over"
> > album, I told my friends that the Eagles are where rock goes when it
> > grows up... their "new" stuff was even better than the stuff I grew up
> > on...
> >
> > And James Taylor is why I wanted to learn guitar... I could always sing
> > his stuff... I also always liked Springsteen, though I really couldn't
> > tell you why...
> >
> > Now, for really obscure, I was HEAVILY into Don McLean, of "American
> > Pie" fame... I caught him in concert one time, he walked out on stage
> > with that big ol' Martin dreadnought, nary a backup musician in sight,
> > and for two hours he and that Martin made the most amazing music... from
> > shuffle boogie to samba, Don showed me an ability as a guitarist that I
> > never suspected... his voice was mediocre at best, but check out some of
> > his albums and you might see what I mean about his ability with that
> > guitar...
> >
> > And no, I never ever wore hiking boots, and granola tastes like tree
> > bark... I guess I just defy stereotyping...
>
> Adding to the list, I have always liked the guys who do the comic
> songs... I was devastated when Jim Croce died (I was a lot younger
> then), and now I'm a devout Parrothead... in fact, I'm listening to
> Radio Margaritaville as I sit here typing this...

Me too! Actually, I had the good fortune to meet Keith Sykes (co-writer of
"Volcano") once.

Rod

Rodney Parker

Jan 17, 2003, 11:55:04 PM1/17/03

"Kim Cole" <kc...@coleconsulting.com> wrote in message

That's right. I've always been partial to "Roller Derby Queen", but my
favorite by far is...

Rapid Roy, that stock-car boy,
He's too much to believe.
You know he always got an extra pack of cigarettes
Rolled up in his T-shirt sleeve
He got a tattoo on his arm that say "Baby"
He got another one that just say "Hey"
But every Sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
In a '57 Chevrolet

Every time I even think of that song it stays with me....one of those you
can't get out of your head.

Rod

Rodney Parker

Jan 18, 2003, 12:02:58 AM1/18/03

"Greg Lentz" <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

You know a man of my abilities
He should be smokin' on a big cigar.
But till I get myself straight, I guess I'll just have to wait
in this rubber suit, rubbin' these cars.

Rod

Rodney Parker

Jan 18, 2003, 12:06:11 AM1/18/03

"Larry Cottrill" <bear...@shentel.net> wrote in message

Man, you guys are taking me back to high school. I used to play the
occasional coffee shop with some friends, and it seemed like it was one Jim
Croce/John Denver/James Taylor cover after another.

I think this one Bear mentions was my favorite ballad.

Or we could do a whole new thread on James Taylor.

"In my mind I'm gone to Carolina"...

love that song.

Rod

Rodney Parker

Jan 18, 2003, 12:08:38 AM1/18/03

> i'll give you bonnie raitt but i *can't stand* the eagles (i do like the
> song, "victim of love") or jackson browne. good thing music is
> subjective =)
>
> the eagles were 1 of the 1st bands to really gouge their fans and jack
> up ticket prices to astonishing levels during their reunion tour and i
> hate them for that, too.

Bonnie Raitt! There's another connection I have. In these songwriters'
get-togethersI occasionally attend, I met a man named Allen Shamblin, who
co-wrote "I Can't Make You Love Me" with former Concinnati Bengal Mike Reid.
Bonnie Raitt recorded it and won them all a grammy.

Rod

Bear

Jan 18, 2003, 12:10:28 AM1/18/03
Greg Lentz <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message news:<983h2v8o8016mgn2u...@4ax.com>...

You should check out Jimmy's 2 CD collection, it's got about 50 of his
best songs on it... the first CD is much better than the second, which
features a lot of his early stuff, and I am not impressed with his
wife Ingrid as a singer...

As I think I noted earlier, his early stuff was pretty much run of the
mill folk/pop, it wasn't until he hooked up with Maury Muehlheisen
(again, I THINK that's the way his name was spelled, it's a tough one)
that he took on the distinctive sound that made him so very popular
for much too short a time...

I remember watching him on ABC's "Midnight Special", which was hosted
by Wolfman Jack... ahhh, the memories...

Bear

Jan 18, 2003, 12:15:18 AM1/18/03
"Barry" <barr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<E50W9.313$I_1.24...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>...

> > > I read, "Where is Joe Merchant" and "Tales from Margaritaville". I get
> the
> > > feeling there's a lot of his real life in these fictional stories.

> > Joe Merchant didn't do much for me, though it did kill a flight from DC
> > to Portland, Ore. for me...

> Parts of it were pretty far out. He seems to do better if he keeps things
> simple and straight to the point.

That's why I liked his short stories so much better... he's almost Dan
Jenkins-esque in his ability to draw colorful characters...

> > Do you remember which of the short stories you liked best??

> The Pascagoula Run, I love stories about being out on the road facing the
> unexpected. That story is one of the ones I suspect has a lot of truth in
> it.

What an interesting choice...

> > One thing I do know, it's long been a dream of mine to get drunk with
> > Jimmy over a fine anejo... I mean, knee-crawlin', commode-huggin'
> > drunk...

> Lol, if you get that bad you just might think he's there, even if he's not.

I was hoping that somebody would recognize that line from one of his
funnier songs... anybody wanna take a guess??

> All this talk has me soooo ready for summer now.

I've got a head full of feelin' higher
And an ear full of Patsy Cline
There is no one who can touch her
Hell, I'll hang on every line...

Or:

I've done a bit of smuggling
I've run my share of grass
I made enough money to buy Miami
But I pissed it away so fast...

Nobody could write lines like that but Jimmy...

Bear

Jan 18, 2003, 12:16:26 AM1/18/03
Greg Lentz <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message news:<4e3h2vk0t0von7ehu...@4ax.com>...

I love singing that song... the best thing about Croce and Buffett is
most of their songs are in a key that I can handle... no need for
transposing, or capos for the guitar or any of that crap...

Greg Lentz

Jan 18, 2003, 12:50:58 AM1/18/03
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 04:55:04 GMT, "Rodney Parker" <rpark...@cox.net>
wrote:

It's the guitar part that gets stuck in my head. The lyrics are OK,
but that riff after the '57 Chevrolet just makes the song.

Greg Lentz

Greg Lentz

Jan 18, 2003, 12:51:57 AM1/18/03
On 17 Jan 2003 21:10:28 -0800, bear...@shentel.net (Bear) wrote:

>Greg Lentz <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message news:<983h2v8o8016mgn2u...@4ax.com>...
>> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:39:51 -0500, "Dr. Trumpet"
>> <dr_trpt-...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >My favorite was "These Dreams"
>>
>> Yeah. Boy can that Ann Wilson belt a tune....
>>
>> No seriously, that's a great one too. But I've got a list of his songs
>> that I love.
>
>You should check out Jimmy's 2 CD collection, it's got about 50 of his
>best songs on it... the first CD is much better than the second, which
>features a lot of his early stuff, and I am not impressed with his
>wife Ingrid as a singer...

I don't like the songs with her in general.

Greg Lentz

Greg Lentz

Jan 18, 2003, 12:55:03 AM1/18/03
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 05:02:58 GMT, "Rodney Parker" <rpark...@cox.net>
wrote:

>"Greg Lentz" <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:08:33 -0500, Larry Cottrill <bear...@shentel.net>
>> wrote:

>dog

>thing
>> >
>> >He did several comic songs that were MUCH funnier than the ones that
>> >became hits... "Roller Derby Queen", "Speedball Tucker", and "Rapid Roy
>> >(the Stock Car Boy)" spring to mind...
>>
>> Tried to find me an executive position
>> But no matter how smooth I talked
>> They wouldn't listen to the fact that I was genius
>> The man said we got all that we can use
>> Now I got them steadily depressing, lowdown, mind messing
>> Working at the car wash blues
>

>You know a man of my abilities
>He should be smokin' on a big cigar.
>But till I get myself straight, I guess I'll just have to wait
>in this rubber suit, rubbin' these cars.

Well all I can do is shake my head
You might not believe that it's true
For working at this end of Niagara Falls
Is an undiscovered Howard Hughes
So baby don't 'spect to see me with a double martini
In any high brow society news
Cause I got them steadily depressing, lowdown, mind messing

Working at the car wash blues

And they say Eminem is clever with wordplay? Nobody writes lyrics
like that these days. Friggin' genius.

Greg Lentz

Olin Murrell

Jan 18, 2003, 1:49:14 AM1/18/03

"EJ" <ejor...@swbell.net> wrote in message

I once played a gig in Oklahoma that was maybe two blocks from the building
about which Mae Boren Axton wrote "Heartbreak Hotel."

And man! That street was STILL lonely. The building is now a hardware store,
after they cut the second story off it.

This thread has been entertaining, in more ways than one.

Saw Lightnin' Hopkins' name mentioned. Growing up, he was one my favorites.
Got to see him live a couple times.

If anybody ever saw the truly obscure movie about Leadbelly... I used to
work in the radio biz with the guy who did all the 12-string work for that
movie. Guy named Bill Moss. At some point in the '60s, he made the Playboy
Best 12-string player list. Folk singer who almost made the big time. He
wound up a disc jockey for a while, then as a special investigator for the
Travis County Humane Society.

Back when I used to gig quite a bit, I got to meet and play shows with some
interesting cats from the folk music world... people like Peter, Paul and
Mary, Tom Paxton and Pete Seeger. Actually got to jam once with the
incomparable Johnny Gimble. For the non-country oriented, he just may be one
of the planet's best pure musicians... fiddle player who used to play with
Bob Wills, and probably was the fiddle player on every major label country
cut from about 1965, to about 1980. I even got to sit in one night and play
lead with Townes VanZandt.

My favorite rockers tended toward the Stones, the Animals, the Allmans, the
Doobies, CCR and a whole host of somewhat obscure Texas acts like Joe Ely,
Jimmie Gilmore, and Delbert McClinton.

Zaxor

Jan 18, 2003, 3:29:17 AM1/18/03
Yeah great songs but I think Car wash blues was avery well written song

just got out of the county prison doing 90days for non support

trying to find me an executive position but no matter how smoothed I talked

they wouldn't listen to the fact that I was a genius the man said we got all
that we can use

Now I got me the steadily depressing low down mind messing working at the
car wash blues.

Zaxor
"Greg Lentz" <gle...@nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Bear

Jan 18, 2003, 6:20:39 AM1/18/03
Greg Lentz <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message news:<cg3h2v0op5c13r6g3...@4ax.com>...

Another of my nephew's favorites... can't believe I forgot about it,
and another hilarious song:

Like a fool in a hurry
I took her to my room
She casted me in plaster
While I sang her a tune

And I said oo-oo-oo-ee,
Sure is a tragic tale
Because five short minutes of love
Done brought me 20 long years in jail

The classics never die...

I find myself wondering how many regulars in this group have dug out
their old Croce tapes over the last day or so... LOL...

Bear

Jan 18, 2003, 6:23:05 AM1/18/03
"Rodney Parker" <rpark...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<i15W9.1147$FY4...@news1.central.cox.net>...

Volcano's a lightweight song, but it's a lot of fun to play...

You just can't beat Caribbean drunk rock & roll (that's how Jimmy once
described his music)...

I never looked at the credits, did Sykes write it with Jimmy??

And is Warren Buffett really Jimmy's uncle, as he claims in his show
from time to time??

Bear

Jan 18, 2003, 6:25:41 AM1/18/03
"Rodney Parker" <rpark...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<I65W9.1148$FY4....@news1.central.cox.net>...

One day I looked into my rear view mirror
And comin' up from behind
Was a Georgia state policeman
And a hundred dollar fine

Well he looked me in the eye as he was writin' me up
And said "Driver, you've been flyin'
95 was the route you were on
It was not the speed limit sign"

Croce was kind of weird, in a real good way... LOL...

Bear

Jan 18, 2003, 6:27:45 AM1/18/03
"Rodney Parker" <rpark...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<7h5W9.1151$FY4...@news1.central.cox.net>...

So good night, you moonlight ladies
And rockabye sweet baby James
Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose
Won't you let me go down in my dreams
And rockabye sweet baby James

I always loved "Walkin' Man", too... and I worked out a pretty nifty
arrangement for "Fire and Rain"...

Bear

Jan 18, 2003, 6:29:31 AM1/18/03
"Rodney Parker" <rpark...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<qj5W9.1153$FY4...@news1.central.cox.net>...

> Bonnie Raitt! There's another connection I have. In these songwriters'
> get-togethersI occasionally attend, I met a man named Allen Shamblin, who
> co-wrote "I Can't Make You Love Me" with former Concinnati Bengal Mike Reid.
> Bonnie Raitt recorded it and won them all a grammy.

It's the best song she ever did... Reid has always been a hell of a songwriter...

How can a 50 year old woman still be so sexy??

Kim Cole

Jan 18, 2003, 1:57:22 PM1/18/03
"Olin Murrell" <oli...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Jimmie Dale is awesome.

Olin Murrell

Jan 18, 2003, 4:23:42 PM1/18/03

"Kim Cole" <kc...@coleconsulting.com> wrote in message

And, one of the nicest guys in the music business. I almost got a cut with
him several years back, but he went in a different direction and, I guess,
forgot about the tune.

After Buddy Holly broke out of Lubbock, a whole herd of folks noticed making
music was a good ticket out of the "Hub City of the Plains," (some would
have you believe it's called that because the hub is the slowest moving part
of a wheel), and the rush was on.

From the Lubbock area, Roy Orbison, Waylon Jennings, Delbert McClinton
(though he won most of his early fame in the Jacksboro Highway skull
orchards of West Fort Worth), Mac Davis, Joe Ely, Butch Hancock, Natalie
Maines (Dixie Chicks, and daughter of Lloyd Maines of the Maines Brothers)
and a host of others who escape my feeble brain at the moment.

A whole bunch of the vaunted Austin Music Scene is peopled by folks from
Lubbock.

EJ

Jan 18, 2003, 6:40:37 PM1/18/03

> Greg Lentz wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:24:17 -0500, Larry Cottrill
<bear...@shentel.net>
> > wrote:

> > >You mean, Elton John's "Tiny Dancer"??
> > >
> > >I can't even begin to imagine what McGraw would sound like singing that
> > >one... I think I'm glad I'm not listening to the radio in my Jeep on
the
> > >way to work these days (my nephew carpools with me, and I've turned him
> > >into a huge Jim Croce fan with a box set of Jim's best)...
> >
> > Jim Croce was the bomb. Shame he died so young. I still listen to that
> > music.
>
> As I said, my 27 year old nephew is heavy into rap, particularly Eminem,
> but he's come to love Croce almost as much as I do... he's been turnin'
> his friends in one of the Yahoo chat rooms on to Croce, which I find
> highly amusing...

Hey rap like Croce is "all about the words" [pun on the commercial]

But really, some rappers are brilliant. You have to get passed the shock
effect of all the cussing ... and realize many of them are talking about
life as they'd lived it. Take some time to read a few lyrics from Tupac ...
"Never will I die I'll be back, reincarnated as a mother fuckin Mac", THEN
listen to it, it's poetry meant to be heard. He's written more about life on
the edge of death than even James Taylor. Like Taylor is music was how he
actually lived.

"Thugs Mansion" is top 10 from the grave ... 2Pac lives.

And let's cut Eminem respect for standing for all the kids who grew up in
places like "8 Mile" ... Watching most TV shows you'd get the idea no white
kids grow up in slums and never had to hustle a buck. I got news for the
world - the Jerry Springer show is much closer to the reality of how the
masses live than America cares to admit.

I hear Eminem will clock $50M+ this year ... go kid.

Barry

Jan 18, 2003, 6:49:44 PM1/18/03

"Olin Murrell" <oli...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Pat Green and Cory Morrow both got their start while playing together at
Texas Tech. Luke Olsin is another up and comer from Lubbock who makes
mighty fine music too.

Barry

EJ

Jan 18, 2003, 6:46:33 PM1/18/03
> sandman89 wrote:
> >
> > stevie nicks is incredible (actually, she's lost quite a bit in her
> > voice...but that happens to any aging rock vocalist). she's still my
> > fave female singer, tho.
>
> On a semi-unrelated note, I once met Mick Fleetwood at the ski resort I
> worked at... this was maybe 20-25 years ago...

On two almost completely unrelated notes -

1 - The Stones are up tonight on HBO.

2 - This whole thread sucks to high heaven - the conference championship
games on in 24 hours and we're talking about over the hill musicians -
AHHHH - it just don't seem like a Dallas Cowboys thing ...

EJ

Jan 18, 2003, 6:46:32 PM1/18/03

"RB" <ronb...@cox.net> wrote in message

> --

> "EJ" <ejor...@swbell.net> wrote in message
> >
> > It wasn't that bad, disco got a bad rap - just as rap music does
nowadays.
> > There's a ton of junk produced in any super popular genre but that
doesn't
> > mean there weren't some great artists in the bunch, despite Men At Work
> and
> > Kool & the Gang ... and other such bubble gum.
>
> **** Men At Work? That was hardly a disco act.

They were hardly an act, PERIOD

> Look, Disco existed for one reason only: If you wanted to be where the hot
> ladies were you had to be at a disco joint.
> I hated the music but put up with it to satisfy other needs :^)
> I'm proud to say I never spent a penny on a disco album.

I knew there had to be was something decent about you.

I can see where you're coming from - what kinda sound did you get into?

EJ

Jan 18, 2003, 6:54:17 PM1/18/03

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:52:54 -0500, "Dr. Trumpet"
> <dr_trpt-...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <4HMV9.208$P27.13...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
> > "EJ" <ejor...@swbell.net> wrote:
> >
> >> My boys Earth, Wind, and Fire are by any measure and *irrefutable audio
> >> evidence* the greatest R&B band of all time.
> >
> >Oh yes, EW&F are da bomb!
>
> LOL

Will,

would you care to elaborate on the LOL?

Olin Murrell

Jan 18, 2003, 7:01:35 PM1/18/03

"Barry" <barr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

It's gotta be something in the water out there. Per capita, the area
immediately around Lubbock just seems to grow superior songwriters. One I
forgot to mention that I've worked with some was David Halley. He was up
here in Nashville for a short time, but I've lost touch with him.

Barry

Jan 18, 2003, 7:09:34 PM1/18/03

"Olin Murrell" <oli...@comcast.net> wrote in message

When you live in West Texas you have drive two hours to get to anywhere. It
gives you a lot of time to reflect. :-)

Barry

Kim Cole

Jan 18, 2003, 8:32:10 PM1/18/03
"Olin Murrell" <oli...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Waaaaayyyy back when, when we were going to school at Tech, we'd go to every
Tornado Jam and all those guys/gals were regulars. Saw the Maines Bros, the
Gatlin Bros, Joe Ely... Do they still have the T Jam anymore, you Lubbock
regs?

Kim Cole

Jan 18, 2003, 8:33:18 PM1/18/03
"Barry" <barr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

"Happiness Is Lubbock, Texas In My Rearview Mirror"... :<)

Olin Murrell

Jan 18, 2003, 8:41:26 PM1/18/03

"Barry" <barr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Yeah, that's certainly the truth. Some will have you believe there are no
trees out there either.

Not true.

I used to play a house concert regularly in Midland, and I passed both trees
several times. ;^)

Olin Murrell

Jan 18, 2003, 8:44:52 PM1/18/03

"Kim Cole" <kc...@coleconsulting.com> wrote in message

Haven't heard about TJam in years, but you note an interesting act there...
the Gatlin Brothers. Were they from the Lubbock area? I know they're from
Texas, but if I've ever heard where, I've forgotten.

Larry, the lead singer and writer, went to college at the University of
Houston, and used to be the answer to a sports trivia question about who the
last white U of H running back was. May still be, for all I know.

Kim Cole

Jan 18, 2003, 8:54:19 PM1/18/03
"Olin Murrell" <oli...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Had to look it up on the 'Net, but they're from Abilene. I guess I
associate them with Lubbock since they were big around there when I was in
school.

Barry

Jan 18, 2003, 9:42:38 PM1/18/03

"Kim Cole" <kc...@coleconsulting.com> wrote in message
When I went to Tech it seemed Joe Ely played every weekend. Puts on a hell
of a show though.

Barry

Barry

Jan 18, 2003, 9:46:09 PM1/18/03

"Kim Cole" <kc...@coleconsulting.com> wrote in message

Maybe born in Abilene but I know for a fact that Larry Gatlin went to Odessa
High. He was two years younger than my Dad and he's got the yearbook to
prove it. He has no problem showing anyone, if their interested or not. :-)

Olin Murrell

Jan 18, 2003, 10:40:32 PM1/18/03

"Barry" <barr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

He still does, with a band, that is. Saw Joe up here a couple times since we
moved up. Once, we had a long conversation at some joint where he was going
to play. We'd gone there to see somebody earlier, and had to leave before
Joe went on. It was good to catch up on some folks with him though.

Another time, we went down to the Ryman to see a songwriter round there with
John Hiatt, Guy Clark, Lyle Lovett and Joe.

Good as Joe is, he does not translate well to solo. ;^)

Olin Murrell

Jan 18, 2003, 10:42:16 PM1/18/03

"Barry" <barr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Hmm. I really don't think I'd ever heard precisely where they were from.

> Maybe born in Abilene but I know for a fact that Larry Gatlin went to
Odessa
> High. He was two years younger than my Dad and he's got the yearbook to
> prove it. He has no problem showing anyone, if their interested or not.
:-)

I'll bet. ;^)

It is loading more messages.