Cedric Benson

merce...@yahoo.com

Aug 11, 2005, 3:29:41 PM8/11/05

Any news on Cedric Benson? I realize this guy is at the mercy of the
machinations of his agent(s) (and probably his family), but, it seems
like this hold-out is such a sign of Ricky-Williams-like behavior to
come.

What happens to these guys at Texas anyway? Is it such a soft place
that they never grow up and take ownership of their careers? Or, are
they just simply too young to deal?

They live in a different world, that's for sure.

Thomas

Aug 11, 2005, 3:32:50 PM8/11/05

Rashaan Salaam, Curtis Enis, Anthony Thomas...

Let's be honest, he is going to be a bust no matter what.

-Thomas

John Rogers

Aug 11, 2005, 9:27:46 PM8/11/05
Yeah, merce...@yahoo.com, well... that's just like... your opinion
man.

>Any news on Cedric Benson? I realize this guy is at the mercy of the
>machinations of his agent(s) (and probably his family), but, it seems
>like this hold-out is such a sign of Ricky-Williams-like behavior to
>come.

Cedric Benson's hold-out is more about Ronnie Brown's hold-out than
anything else.

John Rogers
AU Class of 1985
The Nail Gun of Quiet Reflection
The Al Del Greco of Atlanta

"Subordination is the natural order: there is subordination in Heaven -
Thrones and Dominions take precendence over Powers and Principalities,
Archangels and ordinary foremast angels; and so it is in the Navy. You
have come to the wrong shop for anarchy, brother."

(Captain Jack Aubrey, R.N. "The Ionian Mission)

Goro

Aug 11, 2005, 9:38:48 PM8/11/05

John Rogers wrote:
> Yeah, merce...@yahoo.com, well... that's just like... your opinion
> man.
>

> >Any news on Cedric Benson? I realize this guy is at the mercy of the
> >machinations of his agent(s) (and probably his family), but, it seems
> >like this hold-out is such a sign of Ricky-Williams-like behavior to
> >come.
>
> Cedric Benson's hold-out is more about Ronnie Brown's hold-out than
> anything else.

is Cadillac in camp either?

-goro-

John Rogers

Aug 11, 2005, 9:47:59 PM8/11/05
Yeah, "Goro" <eviln...@yahoo.com>, well... that's just like... your
opinion man.

>John Rogers wrote:
>> Yeah, merce...@yahoo.com, well... that's just like... your opinion
>> man.
>>

>> >Any news on Cedric Benson? I realize this guy is at the mercy of the
>> >machinations of his agent(s) (and probably his family), but, it seems
>> >like this hold-out is such a sign of Ricky-Williams-like behavior to
>> >come.
>>
>> Cedric Benson's hold-out is more about Ronnie Brown's hold-out than
>> anything else.
>
>is Cadillac in camp either?

Yep. Caddy signed his contract the morning of the first day of camp.

Ron Blancarte

Aug 12, 2005, 2:11:46 AM8/12/05

I know I am coming close to some bait, but ...

All I know is that this just looks like a freaking game of chicken
between two agents: Ronnie Brown's and Cedric Benson's. When you have
the same position drafted in that proximity, you are looking at a game
of chicken.

As far as the who Texas thing - you can talk about that amongst
yourselves - that is a hook that I am not touching.

RonB

"It is human nature to take shortcuts in thinking"

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 12, 2005, 10:04:11 AM8/12/05

I was listening to the Cedric Benson circus on the local sports radio
channel yesterday here in Chicago. It seems it's simply a matter of a
million or so, to make sure that Cedric gets money that's closer to
historic 3-pick money, than 5-pick money. So, they're trying to figure
out the difference and what will save face for Cedric and his contract.

All I know is I would be happy just getting paid the difference.

It seems outrageous to think about that, but, then, you think of the
punishment he's going to take, what with the offensive line that
Chicago will put up this year, and then, you have to hope he gets as
much as he can, because he will be brutalized.

Texas teams all boil down to Mack Brown being sort of a crybaby--that's
why they'll never win the big one, and possibly why most players that
come out of there have to face the cold harsh reality of the real world
and sometimes, more than not, sort of have a few miscues along the
way--if not turn into complete washouts.

Mike Pfeffer

Aug 12, 2005, 1:02:05 PM8/12/05

"Mercellus Bohren" <merce...@yahoo.com> wrote in message >

> Texas teams all boil down to Mack Brown being sort of a crybaby--that's
> why they'll never win the big one, and possibly why most players that
> come out of there have to face the cold harsh reality of the real world
> and sometimes, more than not, sort of have a few miscues along the
> way--if not turn into complete washouts.

First Ricky, now Cedric. I'm putting the over/under at three years
for when Benson ends up as the pot-brownie pastry chef at the
Naropa Institute in Boulder, or some other spacey new-age
temple.

Mike Pfeffer

merce...@yahoo.com

Aug 12, 2005, 3:20:35 PM8/12/05

You really think so? He seems a lot more down to earth than Ricky was,
ever. I saw Ricky the other night on the preseason game and he was
looking at the camera like "OH SHIT. THEY"RE IN MY HEAD AGAIN!!!!"

I predict Ricky will play out this year, get a little ahead, and out of
the hole with Miami, and hang it up for good. He's just too much of a
freek to handle the pressure of the NFL and success. Sad really,
because when he is running through people...he is just a truly talented
running back. I sincerely hope he finds what he's looking for. It won't
be in the glare of the cameras though, unless he's sincerely stopped
smoking dope. That's a big part of the problem: his dope smoking
combined with his probable bi-polar crap.

I watched Cedric, live, in the Texas high school championship, and he
was the epitomy of the cliche "a man among boys". It was like an
elephant was running down the field with three or four monkeys trying
to bring it down. It wasn't much different at Texas, except for the
FACT that the talent they have made it more of a wash on who was the
star of the moment.

I truly believe when Cedric reaches his full potential in the NFL after
a year or so, the comparisons to Jim Brown will start. He has the
potential to be one of the greatest running backs of all time.

Jason Schmitt

Aug 12, 2005, 3:20:31 PM8/12/05

"Mercellus Bohren" <merce...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Again, this is probably just another hook, but do you not call the 2005 Rose
Bowl a "big one"? How about Nebraska back in '99 or '00. Can't remember
the year but they were ranked #3 and we were around #15 or something I think
and a heavy underdog. Sure, we lost the Big 12 championship game, and the
last 5 to OU but we've also taken the last 5 from A and M. What about
Stoops, he lost the last two MNCs, the second of which was a stomping.
Yeah, it's great that he gets there and has a chance but Mack gets to the
next best thing (Rose Bowl) and wins it against a very strong Michigan team
and he gets almost no credit. Every team has their big wins and big
loses...that's college football.

Also, Ricky was under Mack Brown for only his senior season, he was really
recruited and trained under Macovich, so Ricky and Ced really come from
different coaches. Why is Ced the only one catching heat for holding out?
I'm sure were you in his position and your agent said, "if we wait this one
out for a while, you might be able to get a few million more" then you would
certainly wait as well. The offer he has is, of course and ton of money but
why not get more if you can?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll regret biting on that hook.

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 12, 2005, 3:39:49 PM8/12/05

Lookit, I'm not a big Mack Brown fan, probably because I've never met
the man. If I ever meet him, I would probably speak with him for about
15 seconds and then go do whatever he asked me to do, for the rest of
my life just to please him. He's got that kind of effect on players
(and their parents) I hear. However, it seems to me that he can get his
ass sideways in a situation where he's got the MOST TALENTED TEAM IN
THE COUNTRY, but manages to lose a big one here and there--and then he
sorts of gets all misty eyed and says it's his fault. Great message
Coach---that makes your players hard as toasted marshmellows. He should
be coaching a rsfcking DYNASTY down there by now. As it is, he's
coaching a highly regarded, great team, but, I'll bet STOOPS still
kicks his ass in Dallas. That's all about the coach my friend.

> Also, Ricky was under Mack Brown for only his senior season, he was really
> recruited and trained under Macovich, so Ricky and Ced really come from
> different coaches. Why is Ced the only one catching heat for holding out?
> I'm sure were you in his position and your agent said, "if we wait this one
> out for a while, you might be able to get a few million more" then you would
> certainly wait as well. The offer he has is, of course and ton of money but
> why not get more if you can?

What part of "I realize this guy is at the mercy of the machinations of
his agent..." did you not understand?

> Anyway, I'm sure I'll regret biting on that hook.

You should have no regrets, it keeps getting stinkier.

Ron Blancarte

Aug 12, 2005, 4:47:29 PM8/12/05

So if this is all about holding out, then we can also assume, by your
logic, that this applies to everyone holding out right now?

Geez, what does this mean for T.O.?

mpfeff...@yahoo.com

Aug 12, 2005, 6:01:28 PM8/12/05
Ron Blancarte wrote:
> Mike Pfeffer used 100% recycled electrons to write:
>

> >"Mercellus Bohren" <merce...@yahoo.com> wrote in message >
> >> Texas teams all boil down to Mack Brown being sort of a crybaby--that's
> >> why they'll never win the big one, and possibly why most players that
> >> come out of there have to face the cold harsh reality of the real world
> >> and sometimes, more than not, sort of have a few miscues along the
> >> way--if not turn into complete washouts.
> >
> >First Ricky, now Cedric. I'm putting the over/under at three years
> >for when Benson ends up as the pot-brownie pastry chef at the
> >Naropa Institute in Boulder, or some other spacey new-age
> >temple.
>
> So if this is all about holding out, then we can also assume, by your
> logic, that this applies to everyone holding out right now?

This isn't about everyone holding out. This is about the history of
Mack Brown and flaky running backs with marijuana problems. You
haven't forgotten about Benson's marijuana arrest in 2002? I know that
a lot of players get arrested, and that's fine. But Mack Brown players
seem to get caught more than others, and they just seem to be flaky.
Sheesh, look at Apple Majorwhite if you want another example.

Mike Pfeffer

LABlogger

Aug 12, 2005, 6:15:16 PM8/12/05

merce...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Any news on Cedric Benson? I realize this guy is at the mercy of the
> machinations of his agent(s) (and probably his family), but, it seems
> like this hold-out is such a sign of Ricky-Williams-like behavior to
> come.

He's not at the mercy of his agent. His agent works for him. The
moment he gives the word to sign, the agent has to sign. Granted, the
agent is clearly giving him advice to stay away. But ultimately, the
decision lies with Cedric. When he wants to be in camp, he'll be
there.

--
http://www.lasportsblog.com
L.A. Sports news digest updated daily

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 12, 2005, 6:18:48 PM8/12/05

Right. Just like your real-estate agent or stock broker "works" for you.

Brian Anderson

Aug 13, 2005, 7:47:28 AM8/13/05
mpfeff...@yahoo.com wrote:

> But Mack Brown players... just seem to be flaky.

> Sheesh, look at Apple Majorwhite if you want another example.

Major Applewhite is nothing like Ricky Williams or Cedric Benson.

Bryan S. Slick

Aug 13, 2005, 7:52:46 AM8/13/05
[Brian Anderson n...@home.now]
[Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:47:28 GMT]

Correct. He's a quarterbacks coach, and they're players.

(thought that was interesting to note, that he'd gotten a job as a QBs
coach so quickly.. good for him)

--
Bryan S. Slick, onyx_hokie at yahoo dot com

"To those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

miand...@students.mcg.edu

Aug 13, 2005, 11:53:00 AM8/13/05

Jason Schmitt wrote:

> Again, this is probably just another hook, but do you not call the 2005 Rose
> Bowl a "big one"? How about Nebraska back in '99 or '00. Can't remember
> the year but they were ranked #3 and we were around #15 or something I think
> and a heavy underdog. Sure, we lost the Big 12 championship game, and the
> last 5 to OU but we've also taken the last 5 from A and M. What about
> Stoops, he lost the last two MNCs, the second of which was a stomping.
> Yeah, it's great that he gets there and has a chance but Mack gets to the
> next best thing (Rose Bowl) and wins it against a very strong Michigan team
> and he gets almost no credit.

I agree with your post in general, but:

1) The Rose bowl wasn't the 'next best thing' last year. It implies
that UT was next in line for the bcs championship game, when in reality
they were the last team sneaking in the bcs.

2) Calling Michigan a "very strong" team is questionable. They
finished the season ranked what....14-15 or so? They had losses to a
poor ND team and an average tOSU team before playing UT. It's not like
Texas beat Auburn, USC, or even Utah in their bowl game.....

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 13, 2005, 12:42:06 PM8/13/05

And without the toughness of Vince Young, Texas would have tanked in a
few Big 12 games they should have won BIG last year. Kansas and
Missouri for example. Plus, OK State had them, but fell back on their
ass and let VY run all over them--I mean, OK Stat was up by, what, like
35 points? Texas could have easily tanked in all three of these games.
With the talent they have, it's mind boggling that the coaching staff
hasn't been replaced.

Bryan S. Slick

Aug 13, 2005, 12:44:23 PM8/13/05
[Mercellus Bohren merce...@yahoo.com]
[13 Aug 2005 09:42:06 -0700]

:And without the toughness of Vince Young, Texas would have tanked in a

:few Big 12 games they should have won BIG last year. Kansas and
:Missouri for example. Plus, OK State had them, but fell back on their
:ass and let VY run all over them--I mean, OK Stat was up by, what, like
:35 points? Texas could have easily tanked in all three of these games.
:With the talent they have, it's mind boggling that the coaching staff
:hasn't been replaced.

Riight.. because that talent gutted those performances out all on their
own, without the benefit of any coaching.

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 13, 2005, 12:52:15 PM8/13/05

Exactly. VY is a player coach basically. He took these games over and
used his mental toughness to bring them home. MACK BROWN could have sat
his ass at home on gameday.

Bryan S. Slick

Aug 13, 2005, 1:09:12 PM8/13/05
[Mercellus Bohren merce...@yahoo.com]
[13 Aug 2005 09:52:15 -0700]

:> :And without the toughness of Vince Young, Texas would have tanked in a
:> :few Big 12 games they should have won BIG last year. Kansas and
:> :Missouri for example. Plus, OK State had them, but fell back on their
:> :ass and let VY run all over them--I mean, OK Stat was up by, what, like
:> :35 points? Texas could have easily tanked in all three of these games.
:> :With the talent they have, it's mind boggling that the coaching staff
:> :hasn't been replaced.
:>
:> Riight.. because that talent gutted those performances out all on their
:> own, without the benefit of any coaching.

:Exactly. VY is a player coach basically. He took these games over and

:used his mental toughness to bring them home. MACK BROWN could have sat
:his ass at home on gameday.

1. Your sarcasm meter is borked.

2. You're an idot.

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 13, 2005, 2:28:07 PM8/13/05

Ladies and gentlemen: The ASS-HATTED BABBLER.

Toby Drake

Aug 13, 2005, 2:35:26 PM8/13/05

I heard that the reason he got the QB coaching spot is the fact that he
didn't put up too much resistance to having that loser Chris Simms
start over him, when it was obvious who the better QB was in his last
year.

Toby
Enid, OK

Bryan S. Slick

Aug 13, 2005, 3:47:53 PM8/13/05
[Mercellus Bohren merce...@yahoo.com]
[13 Aug 2005 11:28:07 -0700]

:

:Bryan S. Slick wrote:
:> [Mercellus Bohren merce...@yahoo.com]
:> [13 Aug 2005 09:52:15 -0700]
:>
:> :> :And without the toughness of Vince Young, Texas would have tanked in a
:> :> :few Big 12 games they should have won BIG last year. Kansas and
:> :> :Missouri for example. Plus, OK State had them, but fell back on their
:> :> :ass and let VY run all over them--I mean, OK Stat was up by, what, like
:> :> :35 points? Texas could have easily tanked in all three of these games.
:> :> :With the talent they have, it's mind boggling that the coaching staff
:> :> :hasn't been replaced.
:> :>
:> :> Riight.. because that talent gutted those performances out all on their
:> :> own, without the benefit of any coaching.
:>
:> :Exactly. VY is a player coach basically. He took these games over and
:> :used his mental toughness to bring them home. MACK BROWN could have sat
:> :his ass at home on gameday.
:>
:> 1. Your sarcasm meter is borked.
:>
:> 2. You're an idot.

:Ladies and gentlemen: The ASS-HATTED BABBLER.

Sure, Jonah.

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 13, 2005, 4:47:20 PM8/13/05

Bryan S. Slick

Aug 13, 2005, 4:53:44 PM8/13/05
[Mercellus Bohren merce...@yahoo.com]
[13 Aug 2005 13:47:20 -0700]

:Bryan S. Slick wrote:

:> [Mercellus Bohren merce...@yahoo.com]

:> :Ladies and gentlemen: The ASS-HATTED BABBLER.

:> Sure, Jonah.

:Ladies and gentlemen: The ASS-HATTED BABBLER.

*chuckle* Whatever, moron.

(and yes, I realize you'll likely just post the same thing again, but
it's entertaining watching you think you're being witty, instead of
being the obvious dumbfuck you truly are)

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 13, 2005, 4:57:12 PM8/13/05

Mike Pfeffer

Aug 13, 2005, 7:29:51 PM8/13/05

"Brian Anderson" <n...@home.now> wrote in message

You're kidding, right? What about that whole deal where he committed
to Tennessee, and then totally went back on his word and went to Texas
instead? That sounds pretty flaky to me.

Mike Pfeffer

Brian Anderson

Aug 13, 2005, 10:47:41 PM8/13/05
Mike Pfeffer wrote:

>>Major Applewhite is nothing like Ricky Williams or Cedric Benson.
>
> You're kidding, right? What about that whole deal where he committed
> to Tennessee, and then totally went back on his word and went to Texas
> instead? That sounds pretty flaky to me.

Listen, you flake, it was CHRIS SIMMS who committed to Tennessee and
then went to Texas. Hell, you didn't even know Major Applewhite's NAME,
so why should we expect you to know any more about him before you go
publicly bad-mouthing him on the net?

Start here if you wish, and Google further if you want more references:
http://www.bucknuts.com/nearmisses.htm

Major Applewhite was total class at Texas. Mack Brown benched
Applewhite at the start of his senior year and started Phil Simms's kid
instead, and we paid for it. Applewhite got royally screwed, but he
still supported the team in every way he could. He never complained,
never bad-mouthed anyone, and came in and played his heart out to try
and win the games that Simms threw away. He deserves better than being
attacked by an ignorant flake on Usenet, don't you think?

Brian Anderson

Aug 13, 2005, 10:51:51 PM8/13/05
Mercellus Bohren wrote:

>>:> :Ladies and gentlemen: The ASS-HATTED BABBLER.

>>:Ladies and gentlemen: The ASS-HATTED BABBLER.

> Ladies and gentlemen: The ASS-HATTED BABBLER.

Uh, Marcellus? You *do* realize how this is coming across, don't you?

Mike Pfeffer

Aug 14, 2005, 2:40:16 AM8/14/05

"Brian Anderson" <n...@home.now> wrote in message

Dear Mr. Andersen,

I post to Usenet expecting rational discourse. I don't appreciate you
calling me names; where do you get off calling me an ignorant flake?
I consider myself a pretty knowledgable Longhorn fan; I checked out
the link you posted above. It's about Ohio State, and has nothing to
do with the Longhorns! Besides, anybody can fake a web site. Let's
stick to the facts; Majorwhite flip-flopped on his college choice. That
type of wishy-washy athlete is typical of a Mack Brown athlete.
If you want more proof, go ahead and check out the track record
of James Brown, who was the quarterback at Texas under Mack
Brown before Majorwhite and Simms. He was busted for pot too!
Man, I've probably forgotten more about Texas football than you'll
ever know. I hate to say it, but Mack Brown has turned my
beloved Longhorns into the Bonghorns.

Mike Pfeffer

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 14, 2005, 8:43:54 AM8/14/05

Yes. That you are also an ASS-HATTED BABBLER.

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

Aug 14, 2005, 9:59:40 AM8/14/05

Troll, you may or may not know more than Neo, but I doubt you have
forgotten more than I know....since I have been a fan since before Tommy
Nobis....and have forgotten more than I remember. And I think you're
off base (and not particularly good at trolling, despite the fact that I
am here and posting-it's a slow morning). High school recruits flip
flop on their choice all the time, it's not just a Mack thing. And what
really gives you away is that a true fan would be very happy with 4 ten
win seasons in a row. No real fan is going to tell you that Mack has
taken the program south. Since I've been following UT there have only
been 3 head coaches I cared for, Royal, Acres and Brown.

And if you can't take a little name calling, then don't troll. However,
I suspect you're enjoying the shit out of all this:) So I'll play along
until my better half reminds me I gotta go do something constructive:)

Brian Anderson

Aug 14, 2005, 12:49:19 PM8/14/05
You know, Mike, anyone with a shred of class would have acknowledged his
error and apologized to Major Applewhite. It's a shame you don't qualify.

And no, I'm not going to waste my time with a rational response to such
an obvious troll. Thanks for making the effort nonetheless, you
ignorant flake.

Your pal,

Brian

Bryan S. Slick

Aug 14, 2005, 2:18:59 PM8/14/05
[Brian Anderson n...@home.now]
[Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:49:19 GMT]

:You know, Mike, anyone with a shred of class would have acknowledged his

:error and apologized to Major Applewhite. It's a shame you don't qualify.

Is Major Applewhite reading this thread, or are you just an idiot?

Brian Anderson

Aug 14, 2005, 5:15:40 PM8/14/05
Bryan S. Slick wrote:

> [Brian Anderson n...@home.now]
> [Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:49:19 GMT]
>
> :You know, Mike, anyone with a shred of class would have acknowledged his
> :error and apologized to Major Applewhite. It's a shame you don't qualify.
>
> Is Major Applewhite reading this thread, or are you just an idiot?

Neither. I just think that when someone levels a false accusation and
publicly disparages an innocent person for for something they didn't do,
that the right course of action is to publicly acknowledge their mistake
and offer an apology regardless of whether the injured party is aware of
it or not.

slie...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2005, 12:10:50 AM8/15/05
I frankly don't give a flip about the argument, and it certainly no
longer has anything to do with Da Bears, but I find it amusing to read.

I've gotta say Mike, you're not doing much for your credibility by
*continuing* to get Applewhite's name wrong...you AGAIN called him
Majorwhite, even in the same post where you bragged about how much you
know about UT ball. Hilarious...

Keep it up boys...I'm bored.

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 15, 2005, 9:31:57 AM8/15/05

Look troll, if you don't have anything to add to the discussion, please
donut name names. I know Mike has trouble with the facts occasionally,
but I also know that he's mildly retarded and he's doing the best he
can. He's a good person, so you shouldn't laugh, lest the last laugh
gets on YOU!

slie...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2005, 10:34:23 AM8/15/05
I love it...

This from the one who's added the best dose of intelligence to the
discussion over his last three posts... Bryan is right...you are a
moron.

But, like I say, keep it up...I enjoy laughing at people making
jackasses out of themselves.

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 15, 2005, 12:49:14 PM8/15/05

You shouldn't suck up to Slick like this; he'll just turn on you and
then you'll feel really dubm.

slie...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2005, 1:16:14 PM8/15/05
or dumb... whichever

Mercellus Bohren

Aug 15, 2005, 1:20:08 PM8/15/05

slie...@gmail.com wrote:
> or dumb... whichever

I didn't realize people like you still existed.