Starks Is Great

aaa

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
This should be Starks last year with the team and although his usefulness as
player has diminished I think no Knick in the past decade has been a better
person. After being a star college player he bagged groceries to feed his
family. His temperment sometimes got the better of him on the court, but
his heart was alway in the right place. Goodbye John, while we won't miss
you we'll think well of you.

Katie Baker

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
In article <6vp2ho$7...@mail.nassaulibrary.org>, "aaa"
<wp63...@nassaulibrary.org> wrote:

Hi, everyone. I'm semi-new to the Knicks NG, as I've lurked here for
months. I'm a regular on the Rangers NG though. I'm a Knick season ticket
holder, and a Knicks fan by birth. Anyway, Starks has always been my
favorite player, and while I'll agree with you about any of his
shortcomings (poor shot selection, unability to control his emotions, etc)
I think the Knicks *would* miss him.

Why? Because while Starks is the kind of player who can lose a game for
you, he can also win one for you. How often have you seen the Knicks begin
games on the weak side of an 18-2 score. Then Starks comes in, has like 10
points in 5 minutes, and they're right back in it. Obviously, I'm
exaggerating, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Now, I know this NG is slightly harsher than most of the hockey ones. So,
before I'm mercilessly flamed, just consider the fact that this is
OPINION. Thanks.

Katie

--
Katie Baker - the chick with the hockey stick ;-)
http://home.talkcity.com/gardenway/katieccc

"He looks like Secretariat racing at the state fair."
-Don Cherry, on Wayne Gretzky playing for the Kings.

Irving Wang

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
Katie Baker wrote:

> In article <6vp2ho$7...@mail.nassaulibrary.org>, "aaa"
> <wp63...@nassaulibrary.org> wrote:
>
> > This should be Starks last year with the team and although his usefulness as
> > player has diminished I think no Knick in the past decade has been a better
> > person. After being a star college player he bagged groceries to feed his
> > family. His temperment sometimes got the better of him on the court, but
> > his heart was alway in the right place. Goodbye John, while we won't miss
> > you we'll think well of you.
>
> Hi, everyone. I'm semi-new to the Knicks NG, as I've lurked here for
> months. I'm a regular on the Rangers NG though. I'm a Knick season ticket
> holder, and a Knicks fan by birth. Anyway, Starks has always been my
> favorite player, and while I'll agree with you about any of his
> shortcomings (poor shot selection, unability to control his emotions, etc)
> I think the Knicks *would* miss him.

First of all, welcome to the newsgroup, Katie. As for what you said, I
think it goes without saying that the Knicks would miss having Starks
around. Whether it be for better or worse, Starks always brought that
emotion and energy to the game that could save or sink the team,
depending on whether or not he was trigger-happy from downtown. There's
no question that he's a fan favorite, so he will be missed. That kind
of goes without saying.

> Why? Because while Starks is the kind of player who can lose a game for
> you, he can also win one for you. How often have you seen the Knicks begin
> games on the weak side of an 18-2 score. Then Starks comes in, has like 10
> points in 5 minutes, and they're right back in it. Obviously, I'm
> exaggerating, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

As the Knicks continue to evolve and focus more on getting Allan Houston
more into the offense (and preferably, he'd be the first option),
Starks' role will continue to decrease, so the need for his
contributions decreases. Houston's at a point where he should be ready
to go, game in and game out, although if the season started today, he
would have a few problems having recovered from arthroscopic knee
surgery during the offseason.

Starks still has quite a few uses for the Knicks coming off the bench,
but because Houston's role has grown to be so big, Starks would
definitely not be the team's sixth man for 1998-99. He wouldn't be
scoring the same way and while the energy may be there, it may not
translate into offense that is as efficient as it has been in the past.

> Now, I know this NG is slightly harsher than most of the hockey ones. So,
> before I'm mercilessly flamed, just consider the fact that this is
> OPINION. Thanks.

Don't worry about it. I honestly don't believe there's a chance in hell
that you'll be flamed for your thoughts on Starks, unless you count
those stupid trolls by our resident Bulls bandwagoning idiot, GlenBob.
Again, welcome to the newsgroup, Katie.

> Katie
>
> --
> Katie Baker - the chick with the hockey stick ;-)
> http://home.talkcity.com/gardenway/katieccc
>
> "He looks like Secretariat racing at the state fair."
> -Don Cherry, on Wayne Gretzky playing for the Kings.

Irving Wang, Graphics Designer & Webmaster:
The New York Knicks Fan Page -
http://www.sportsgen.com/knicks/
The Complete New York Knicks Fan Online Experience!
E-mail: Knicks...@nospam.stropslla.com
No valid e-mail address, no spam.

dwalla

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98
Katie Baker wrote:

> In article <6vp2ho$7...@mail.nassaulibrary.org>, "aaa"
> <wp63...@nassaulibrary.org> wrote:
>
> > This should be Starks last year with the team and although his usefulness as
> > player has diminished I think no Knick in the past decade has been a better
> > person. After being a star college player he bagged groceries to feed his
> > family. His temperment sometimes got the better of him on the court, but
> > his heart was alway in the right place. Goodbye John, while we won't miss
> > you we'll think well of you.
>
> Hi, everyone. I'm semi-new to the Knicks NG, as I've lurked here for
> months. I'm a regular on the Rangers NG though. I'm a Knick season ticket
> holder, and a Knicks fan by birth. Anyway, Starks has always been my
> favorite player, and while I'll agree with you about any of his
> shortcomings (poor shot selection, unability to control his emotions, etc)
> I think the Knicks *would* miss him.

Maybe we should say 'will', because it's been rumored that JohnBoy's on
the trading block.

> Why? Because while Starks is the kind of player who can lose a game for
> you, he can also win one for you. How often have you seen the Knicks begin
> games on the weak side of an 18-2 score. Then Starks comes in, has like 10
> points in 5 minutes, and they're right back in it. Obviously, I'm
> exaggerating, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Exactly. But I think John may have run out the string in NY. And I don't
say that easily, because he's one of my favorite Knicks, and I'll hate
to see him go. But I think for John's game to grow, he may have to leave
NY.

> Now, I know this NG is slightly harsher than most of the hockey ones. So,
> before I'm mercilessly flamed, just consider the fact that this is
> OPINION. Thanks.

I don't think you'll get flamed in here, Katie. I can probably speak for
most of the ng by saying I like your style. Welcome, and stick around
(no pun intended).