BSPN article on the Memphis Jizzlies

DukeN

Aug 13, 2001, 1:18:20 PM8/13/01
http://espn.go.com/nba/s/2001/0809/1237219.html

The following excerpt catches the jist of the article

"Battier and Gasol, among everyone else, are the keys, though. Chances
are few in
Tennessee or anywhere else in the South had heard of
Gasol before he was drafted.
Battier, though, was a college stud and Memphis is a
college town. After a few 20-win
Grizzlies seasons it probably will still be."

js

Aug 13, 2001, 5:46:47 PM8/13/01
Dont forget this quote:

Bold predictions for new-look team

"The Grizz will win more than 30 games this year. They got some decent
talent this year and I think that they can put it all together. As bad as
Jason Williams can play, he still knows what it takes to win. Shane Battier
was one of the hardest working players in the college game and that can rub
off on the rest of the team. I think the Griz won't be great this year, but
they will be more respectable than they have ever been before."

Angus Thermopyle

Aug 13, 2001, 11:27:44 PM8/13/01
Where did your quote come from, js? I didn't see the link in your post.
Please provide links or references to the quotes so we know what you are
talking about.

Cheers.

Gus

"js" <jlsm...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Angus Thermopyle

Aug 13, 2001, 11:37:15 PM8/13/01
I think this quote sums it up better:

"Blame the management and general fan malaise for the team's woes if you
must, but there are a few pieces here and at some point, with an influx of
talent to join Battier, Gasol and Dickerson, we think it will mesh. But we
warn you, fans in Memphis, put on your blue suede shoes and be patient.
Pyramids aren't built in a day."

The influx of talent being contingent on J-Dub leaving as a FA after this
year and the Grizz finishing with the most ping-pong balls in the draft.
Will free agents choose to sign with the Grizz now that they are in Memphis?
Will they get the better Jason Williams in the draft? Who can say for sure.
What happens if they don't get either wish? Yikes!

Gus

"DukeN" <vin...@home.com> wrote in message

Nuklhd

Aug 14, 2001, 10:38:20 AM8/14/01
In article <9l9i37$6ft$1...@suaar1aa.prod.compuserve.com>, jlsmall1
@compuserve.com says...
Yee haw! A quote from a reader from Houston - that's knowledgable for
you.

Hell - Heisley promised 35 wins last year. I don't hear that for this
year. Of course Heisley proved how good he was at keeping promises....

Nuk

js

Aug 15, 2001, 12:16:20 AM8/15/01
fans in Memphis, put on your blue suede shoes and be patient.
Pyramids aren't built in a day."

Why do people assume we Memphians care about Elvis? Why was Elvis music
playing everytime they showed Memphis in the movie Cast Away? If the Grizz
mascot ever comes out in a Elvis costume I will puke.

"Angus Thermopyle" <angu...@audiohighway.com> wrote in message

Bill

Aug 15, 2001, 1:27:26 AM8/15/01
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:16:20 -0500, "js" <jlsm...@compuserve.com>
wrote:

>fans in Memphis, put on your blue suede shoes and be patient.
>Pyramids aren't built in a day."
>
>Why do people assume we Memphians care about Elvis? Why was Elvis music
>playing everytime they showed Memphis in the movie Cast Away? If the Grizz
>mascot ever comes out in a Elvis costume I will puke.

For shame. And here we are, right in the middle of the Dead Elvis
Festival.

--
Bill in Memphis

Philology Recapitulates Ontology.

Angus Thermopyle

Aug 15, 2001, 11:44:50 PM8/15/01
You'd better get your barf-bag ready. Ol' "Grizz" made more than a few
appearances in an Elvis outfit in Vancouver.

If I can comment on the Elvis/Memphis thing; if there is one defining icon
associated with Memphis (from this non resident's point of view), it is
Elvis and his home at Graceland. Like New York and the Statue of Liberty or
San Fransisco and the Golden Gate Bridge, I think it is just an association.
Unfortunately for you residents, you get to hear or read every bad Elvis
cliche there is.