Laker transactions

$Bill

Feb 23, 2017, 7:39:17 AM2/23/17
2/21/17 Magic Johnson announced as new President of Basketball Operations.
2/21/17 Mitch Kupchak, Jim Buss and John Black fired.
2/21/17 Lou Williams traded to Houston for Corey Brewer and a first-rounder.
(not sure if it's 2018 or restricted/variable or what)

Talk of trying to acquire Paul George going on.

Rob Pelinka to replace Kupchak - not sure if that's cement yet.

Brewer, who was drafted seventh overall in 2007 out of Florida, is averaging a career-low 4.2 points this season to go along with two rebounds and 1.1 assists. The Lakers will be the fifth team of his NBA career.
The pick is projected 27th with the Rockets currently holding the fourth-best record in the NBA.

They pick up this loser and trade our best player for a late 1st round draft pick?
Last summer they picked up two (apparent) losers and gave them expensive 4 year contracts.
I'm not sure I get it.

$Bill

Feb 24, 2017, 12:09:19 AM2/24/17
On 02-23-17 18:17, 'Alson Wong' via Lakers Newsgroup wrote:
> It's more of a tank move. They don't want to lose this year's top-three protected pick. If they keep the pick then the move will have paid off.

The Lou trade, but picking up Mosgov and Deng for four years was a dumb move IMO.
I still will miss having Lou around - would have been nice to sign him to a new
contract and keep the drifter around a couple more years.

Also:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170223-latest-laker-tyler-ennis

Latest Laker: Tyler Ennis
by Joey Ramirez
Digital Reporter

On the same day as their trade for Corey Brewer, the Lakers announced another exchange with the Houston Rockets, this time lading third-year point guard Tyler Ennis.

The 22-year-old was acquired Thursday in a trade for Marcelo Huertas, who had been in his second season with the Lakers.

Ennis saw minimal time this year for the postseason-bound Rockets, averaging 1.9 points and 1.1 assists in 6.3 minutes. The 6-foot-3, 194-pounder also shot 39.1 percent from the field.

Ennis was a proficient playmaker in his lone year at Syracuse, leading the ACC in both assists (5.5) and steals (2.1) during the 2013-14 season.

That summer, he entered the NBA Draft and was selected 18th overall by Phoenix. He spent some of his rookie year in the D-League to much success, averaging 18.4 points, 5.3 assists and 1.8 steals for the Bakersfield Jam.

The Toronto native has also shown off his game for the Canadian National Team, like when he put up 20.9 points per game at the 2013 FIBA U19 Championships in the Czech Republic.

However, he has yet to find a long term NBA home, as the Lakers will be his fourth team in three seasons. He will take Huertas’ place in L.A.’s point guard crew, which also includes D’Angelo Russell and Jose Calderon, while Brandon Ingram and Jordan Clarkson have also seen minutes as the primary ball handler.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/170223-tyler-ennis-acquired

Lakers Acquire Tyler Ennis In Trade with Houston

EL SEGUNDO – The Los Angeles Lakers have acquired guard Tyler Ennis and the draft rights to guard/forward Brad Newley from the Houston Rockets in exchange for guard Marcelo Huertas, it was announced today by President of Basketball Operations Earvin “Magic” Johnson.

Ennis has appeared in 31 games for the Rockets this season, averaging 1.9 points and 1.1 assists in 6.3 minutes per game. Formerly the 18th overall selection in the 2014 NBA Draft, he owns career averages of 3.5 points, 1.2 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 110 games with Phoenix, Milwaukee and Houston.

Newley was selected by the Rockets with the 54th overall selection in the 2007 NBA Draft. A two-time representative for Australia’s Olympic team, he currently plays for AEK Athens in Greece.

Huertas averaged 3.9 points, 1.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 76 games with the Lakers.