So in the East now...

RMJon23

Jul 9, 2010, 3:18:34 AM7/9/10
I have MIA as the top team, followed by ORL, then the Celtics, then
ATL.

This biz of one crummy team re-signing their superstar, then adding
Bosh, James, and Mike Miller: unprecedented influx of talent from one
year to the next? I can't think of anything historically comparable.

Still, they have to fill out their roster. Should be interesting.

Chemistry seems almost always to be an underrated thing; we'll see.
Who plays center?

But when we wake up tomorrow morning, and every morning until next
June: the Lakers are the reigning champions. Never forget it!

HS

Jul 9, 2010, 3:22:29 AM7/9/10
On Jul 9, 12:18 pm, RMJon23 <rmjo...@aol.com> wrote:
> I have MIA as the top team, followed by ORL, then the Celtics, then
> ATL.
>
> This biz of one crummy team re-signing their superstar, then adding
> Bosh, James, and Mike Miller: unprecedented influx of talent from one
> year to the next? I can't think of anything historically comparable.

Only things that came close were the Celtics getting Allen/Garnett and
the Lakers getting Malone/Payton.

Obviously, neither of those are as huge as getting 3 of the top 10
players in the league right at their primes.

Silk_Wilkes

Jul 9, 2010, 3:39:17 AM7/9/10
On Jul 9, 12:18 am, RMJon23 <rmjo...@aol.com> wrote:
> I have MIA as the top team, followed by ORL, then the Celtics, then
> ATL.

I expect growth in Milwaukee, liking what that team has done over the
past year or so.

Sac D

Jul 9, 2010, 4:56:45 AM7/9/10

"RMJon23" <rmj...@aol.com> wrote in message

WE won't forget it... but the breathless media will do everything they can
to pre-hype up the Heat and prepare to hand them the crown. I expect them
to begin tomorrow morning. So... it will be even sweeter when the three
peat gets clinched by the UNDERDOG Lakers next June!
~Sac D~

p.s. when's the last time a back-to-back champion began the
season -without- being the favorite to repeat?

Neil Cerutti

Jul 9, 2010, 9:08:09 AM7/9/10
On 2010-07-09, HS <h.shi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, *two* anyway. Bosh is "merely" an all-star.

--
Neil Cerutti

Will in New Haven

Jul 9, 2010, 12:30:44 PM7/9/10
On Jul 9, 4:56 am, "Sac D" <S...@DeathRow.org> wrote:
> "RMJon23" <rmjo...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >I have MIA as the top team, followed by ORL, then the Celtics, then
> > ATL.
>
> > This biz of one crummy team re-signing their superstar, then adding
> > Bosh, James, and Mike Miller: unprecedented influx of talent from one
> > year to the next? I can't think of anything historically comparable.
>
> > Still, they have to fill out their roster. Should be interesting.
>
> > Chemistry seems almost always to be an underrated thing; we'll see.
> > Who plays center?
>
> > But when we wake up tomorrow morning, and every morning until next
> > June: the Lakers are the reigning champions. Never forget it!
>
> WE won't forget it... but the breathless media will do everything they can
> to pre-hype up the Heat and prepare to hand them the crown.  I expect them
> to begin tomorrow morning.

They have certainly done so, led by ESPN

   So... it will be even sweeter when the three
> peat gets clinched by the UNDERDOG Lakers next June!
> ~Sac D~

It will be even sweeter when the media's dream matchup is denied
again. I won't mind at all if the Lakers make it to the finals and I
won't mind all THAT much if the Heat make it but I really want ESPN to
miss out on Kobe/LeBron again.

Well, I will mind if the Heat make it but not out of any animosity
toward their players. I just want the Celtics to get that window back
open.

> p.s.  when's the last time a back-to-back champion began  the
> season -without- being the favorite to repeat?

Several times in the Sixties when whatever team Chamberlain was on was
supposed to beat the Celtics or the Lakers before they got Chamberlain
were supposed to beat the Celtics.

--
Will in New Haven

Sac D

Jul 10, 2010, 2:56:42 PM7/10/10

"Will in New Haven" <bill....@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote in message

That's what I thought... it used to happen all the time but hasn't happened
again in decades.

~Sac D~

Gary Collard

Jul 11, 2010, 3:35:24 PM7/11/10
On 7/9/2010 2:18 AM, RMJon23 wrote:
> I have MIA as the top team, followed by ORL, then the Celtics, then
> ATL.

Chicago has taken a major step forward by addressing their two
weaknesses (post scoring, outside shooting). They should get a top 4
spot and leave Boston, who will have to limit games and minutes to have
anything left in April, to fight with the Hawks and Bucks for the other
top 4 spot.

--
Gary Collard
SABR-L Moderator

Lakers, 17 Time Champions
1948-1949-1950-1952-1953-1954-1972-1980-1982-
1985-1987-1988-2000-2001-2002-2009-2010