66-98

brink

May 31, 2008, 1:33:39 AM5/31/08
That's the aggregate W/L record of the two Finals teams last year. LA
42-40, Boston 24-58.

This will be the first time in 50 years where the teams' aggregated records
from the previous year will be under .500... the closest I could find was
the Portland/Philly Finals in 1977, combined record of 83-81 (the Blazers
were 37-45 the previous year, the 76ers 46-36). But that's still 17 fewer
losses than LA and Boston had between them last year.

What this underscores is that neither of these teams fits the prototype of
the last several decades' worth of champions... every one of them gained
experience through failure deep in the playoffs before breaking through and
winning a title.

On the other hand, that is only if you consider the 2008 Lakers to be a
different team than the 2004 Lakers. Maybe we shouldn't be... Kobe,
Fisher, PJ, and most of the coaching staff is identical. Though it seems
like an eternity, it was only 4 seasons ago.

Either way, this will be the first time in a long time where both teams will
have been nowhere near winning a title the previous year.

brink

HS

May 31, 2008, 4:14:56 AM5/31/08
On May 31, 10:33 am, "brink" <brinknos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Either way, this will be the first time in a long time where both teams will
> have been nowhere near winning a title the previous year.

In the MLB, in '91, the Twins and Braves met for the World Series.
They both had the best record in their league. The previous year they
both had the worst record in their respective league.
That was pretty surreal.

Gary Collard

Jun 2, 2008, 6:48:55 PM6/2/08
Nice research

--
Gary Collard
SABR-L Moderator

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of
fallen heroes - and I see many of them in the audience here today -
our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."
-- Barack Obama May 26