Pistons will win Game 3

dave

May 25, 2005, 11:10:45 PM5/25/05
I guarantee the Pistons will win game 3.

Dave.

Message has been deleted

Kenneth DeMonn

May 26, 2005, 3:29:10 AM5/26/05
On Thu, 26 May 2005 03:23:36 GMT, Sports Addict <spor...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>What's the schedule?
>Same in the 1st 2 rounds?
>2 at Miami, 2 at Detroit and
>then 1, 1, and 1?

Correct.

>I hope it's the next 3 at Detroit. : )

No such luck.

>How about the finals? Last year it was 2 games
>in L.A., then 3 at Detroit. Same thing this year?

No, Los Angeles won't be in the finals this year. ;{)

But yes, the finals are 2-3-2, in order to minimize travel.

>Do they switch off between the Western and Eastern
>confrences, or does the team with the better regular
>season record get the home court advantage?

Better record gets home court, and both Western Conference teams win
over either Eastern team (San Antonio over Miami in a tiebreaker, as
they had identical records), so the finals will start in the west.

--
Working email address: <my first name> at <my surname> dot com.

jsl...@utnet.utoledo.edu

May 26, 2005, 10:18:10 AM5/26/05
Well, the spin in Detroit and even among the TNT announcers is that
Detroit is still the better team, that we played badly and still had a
chance to win at the end. On the one hand, I don't know why we should
be able to say that with more justification than Miami sayin "We played
badly in game 1 and still had a chance to win with 2-3 minutes left."
And props to Wade for having a monster game after all his problems in
Game 1 and resulting criticisms.

On the other hand, I still can't help agreeing with the TNT folks that
when both teams are playing well, the Pistons are better. Giving up
game 2 will mean this series will be harder than it had to be, but I
still think we'll win.--Joe

Hockeyguy

May 26, 2005, 10:27:52 AM5/26/05

<jsl...@utnet.utoledo.edu> wrote in message

Shaq is done and the only reason he was in the last part of the game is the
coach would have been fired on the spot if they lost and SHAQ was not in the
game. He had to play him. But he is done. Wade, blah, blah,
blah......Iverson is a more impressive offensive threat than Wade and Philly
when nowhere also. Detroit in six - maybe 5...

jsl...@utnet.utoledo.edu

May 26, 2005, 11:20:40 AM5/26/05

The comparison with Iverson is good if--and it's still a big if-Shaq is
really just going to be a 15-20 point guy in this series. Plus, in
*close* games, the potential that the Pistons will just foul him down
the stretch is a problem for Miami. Shaq really bricked the last two
he took (which reminds me that it would have been a different game if
Rip and Chanucey had made FTs that the almost always do). --Joe

SkippyPB

May 26, 2005, 11:28:32 AM5/26/05
On 26 May 2005 07:18:10 -0700, jsl...@utnet.utoledo.edu enlightened
us:

If Chauncey would have had a normal game instead of committing 8
turnovers, missing his only 2 free throws and only taking 11 shots,
this would have been the Piston's game. Or if Rip had been able to
shoot at a higher percentage instead of going 8-23, this is Detroit's
game.

They did a great job holding Shaq to only 17 points and Eddie Jones to
6. But they let Damon Jones get 14 and, of course, D. Wade put a 40
on them. The defense wasn't what it should have been in the first
half.

But, you know this kind of performance is going to happen. You hope
it only happens once and that Pistons will right the ship and take 2
at home. I'm disappointed by the loss, but not disheartened.

Regards,

////
(o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it."
-- Groucho Marx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve

SkippyPB

May 26, 2005, 11:30:56 AM5/26/05
On Thu, 26 May 2005 14:27:52 GMT, "Hockeyguy" <e03...@earthlink.net>
enlightened us:

Wade is only in his second year. Iverson's been in the league for 9
seasons. Wade will become a much better player than Iverson is now.

bdubya

May 26, 2005, 12:45:12 PM5/26/05
On Thu, 26 May 2005 11:28:32 -0400, SkippyPB
<swie...@neo.rr.NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>On 26 May 2005 07:18:10 -0700, jsl...@utnet.utoledo.edu enlightened
>us:
>
>>Well, the spin in Detroit and even among the TNT announcers is that
>>Detroit is still the better team, that we played badly and still had a
>>chance to win at the end. On the one hand, I don't know why we should
>>be able to say that with more justification than Miami sayin "We played
>>badly in game 1 and still had a chance to win with 2-3 minutes left."
>>And props to Wade for having a monster game after all his problems in
>>Game 1 and resulting criticisms.
>>
>>On the other hand, I still can't help agreeing with the TNT folks that
>>when both teams are playing well, the Pistons are better. Giving up
>>game 2 will mean this series will be harder than it had to be, but I
>>still think we'll win.--Joe
>
>If Chauncey would have had a normal game instead of committing 8
>turnovers, missing his only 2 free throws and only taking 11 shots,
>this would have been the Piston's game. Or if Rip had been able to
>shoot at a higher percentage instead of going 8-23, this is Detroit's
>game.

The question that raises is, did the backcourt just suck on its own,
or did Miami's D have something to do with it? (Teams that lose to
the Pistons usually just say they "just had an off-night....") IMHO,
the Heat were in a desperation game, and I think it really showed in
their defensive energy and intensity, keeping Rip and CB out of
rhythm, and I attribute the loss to that more than to Wade going off.
I don't expect to see the same thing happen again in this series.
Pistons in 6.

bw

Thomas

May 26, 2005, 3:55:31 PM5/26/05
Hockeyguy wrote:
> <jsl...@utnet.utoledo.edu> wrote in message
>
>>Well, the spin in Detroit and even among the TNT announcers is that
>>Detroit is still the better team, that we played badly and still had a
>>chance to win at the end. On the one hand, I don't know why we should
>>be able to say that with more justification than Miami sayin "We played
>>badly in game 1 and still had a chance to win with 2-3 minutes left."
>>And props to Wade for having a monster game after all his problems in
>>Game 1 and resulting criticisms.
>>
>>On the other hand, I still can't help agreeing with the TNT folks that
>>when both teams are playing well, the Pistons are better. Giving up
>>game 2 will mean this series will be harder than it had to be, but I
>>still think we'll win.--Joe
>>

> Shaq is done and the only reason he was in the last part of the game is the
> coach would have been fired on the spot if they lost and SHAQ was not in the
> game.

Come on, Mugshot Mario is not in any danger of losing his job.

(He earned the name Mario Mugshot in my circle because he looks like
Mario from Super Mario Bros, and he has a molestache and messy hair like
you would see on a child molester in a mugshot)

> He had to play him. But he is done.

"How come he missed? Those are easy shots!"
"THAT'S SHAQ??? I thought he played for the Lakers? I thought he was
good? This guy is JUNK!"
"He looks like an ape...his knuckles are dragging on the ground...his
arms are so long!"
"He's really junk!"
"Ew! He's crosseyed!"
"The Pistons coach is attractive"

Gotta love watching basketball with my fiance!

She laughed out loud when I told her the concept behind "hack-a-Shaq".

Sunday should be interesting. I will be watching with my fiance and two
Asian girls who know nothing about basketball.

But hey, it's gonna be on a 57" HDTV!

>Wade, blah, blah,
> blah......Iverson is a more impressive offensive threat than Wade and Philly
> when nowhere also. Detroit in six - maybe 5...

The series is knotted at 1, and Miami is still looking for their first win.

-Thomas

Hockeyguy

May 26, 2005, 5:20:21 PM5/26/05

"SkippyPB" <swie...@neo.rr.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> On 26 May 2005 07:18:10 -0700, jsl...@utnet.utoledo.edu enlightened
> us:
>
>>Well, the spin in Detroit and even among the TNT announcers is that
>>Detroit is still the better team, that we played badly and still had a
>>chance to win at the end. On the one hand, I don't know why we should
>>be able to say that with more justification than Miami sayin "We played
>>badly in game 1 and still had a chance to win with 2-3 minutes left."
>>And props to Wade for having a monster game after all his problems in>
> If Chauncey would have had a normal game instead of committing 8
> turnovers, missing his only 2 free throws and only taking 11 shots,
>>Game 1 and resulting criticisms.
>>
>>On the other hand, I still can't help agreeing with the TNT folks that
>>when both teams are playing well, the Pistons are better. Giving up
>>game 2 will mean this series will be harder than it had to be, but I
>>still think we'll win.--Joe

> this would have been the Piston's game. Or if Rip had been able to
> shoot at a higher percentage instead of going 8-23, this is Detroit's
> game.
>
> They did a great job holding Shaq to only 17 points and Eddie Jones to
> 6. But they let Damon Jones get 14 and, of course, D. Wade put a 40
> on them. The defense wasn't what it should have been in the first
> half.
>
> But, you know this kind of performance is going to happen. You hope
> it only happens once and that Pistons will right the ship and take 2
> at home. I'm disappointed by the loss, but not disheartened.

I agree completely - Detroit is the better team. We absolutely sucked and
still almost won the game. I am looking forward to the game on Sunday.
I am even more interested in how Spurs have managed to get up 2-0 on Phoenix
while playing in Phoenix - Saturday is another game I am going to have to
watch.

Message has been deleted

Grey Matters

May 26, 2005, 9:20:44 PM5/26/05
Thomas <twh...@umich.edu> wrote:

> Hockeyguy wrote:

>> Shaq is done and the only reason he was in the last part of the game
>> is the coach would have been fired on the spot if they lost and SHAQ
>> was not in the game.
>
> Come on, Mugshot Mario is not in any danger of losing his job.

He's one of those guys you can't quite figure out from his looks how he got
a job coaching at such a high level.

There are plenty of guys who have coached who don't look like they ever
were jocks, like Chuck Daly, but generally guys like that look like they've
spent 80 hours a week pacing in front of the bench. Van G looks like a
carpet salesman.

> Gotta love watching basketball with my fiance!

Fiance? Don't you you mean fiancee?

Does Adam know?

SkippyPB

May 27, 2005, 11:22:15 AM5/27/05
On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:20:21 GMT, "Hockeyguy" <e03...@earthlink.net>
enlightened us:

Two reasons for the Spurs wins. 1. Phoenix is without Joe Johnson,
who had been an integral part of their offense all season and a very
good 3 point shooter. 2. Phoenix does not know how to play defense.
They can't stop Duncan and they can't stop Parker and they can't stop
Ginobli.

Kennedy

May 27, 2005, 4:17:49 PM5/27/05
Kenneth DeMonn <i...@lid.invalid> wrote:

> Better record gets home court, and both Western Conference teams win
> over either Eastern team (San Antonio over Miami in a tiebreaker, as
> they had identical records), so the finals will start in the west.

Just like last year....

Kennedy

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB