Giants call up Gomez from AA and reactivate Gillaspie

John Walsh

Jul 7, 2017, 10:40:53 PM7/7/17
Jones goes on the DL and Stratton goes back to Sacmo. Gillaspie is a
waste of time. He can't stay healthy, his back problem continues to
dog him and he's hitting an anemic .137.

Gomez sounds interesting, but another infielder who platoons and rides
the bench? He's hitting .305 with 19 doubles, 2 triples, 8 homers
and 38 runs batted in. With statistics like that, platooning sounds
like another waste.

benf8...@aol.com

Jul 8, 2017, 12:12:45 AM7/8/17
DL one thirdbaseman and call up two.

ari...@bellsouth.net

Jul 8, 2017, 12:42:24 AM7/8/17
Gomez was hitting over 320 for most of the season. he had slumped recently to the low 300's and in the last few games he raised back up to 308.

John Walsh

Jul 8, 2017, 1:26:29 AM7/8/17
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 21:12:44 -0700 (PDT), "benf8...@aol.com"
<benf8...@aol.com> wrote:

>DL one thirdbaseman and call up two.

What the hell good is Gillaspie going to do with a .137 average and
having missed 45 out of 50 games? Gomez looks great, but I'm worried
about them screwing him up and then sending him back down.

John Walsh

Jul 8, 2017, 3:35:08 PM7/8/17
The only concern is how the Giants handle him. To me, they ruined
more rookies after they've brought them up than they've helped. You
bring someone up, you play them and you work on them to improve their
skills. Bochy stashes them on the bench and then platoons them into
oblivion.

Did you see that small video on Grant's page on Gomez. There's a
picture of Sandoval swinging at a pitch after he moves away from it
and the catcher is firing it to second on the steal.

I think that is a counterpoint highlighting the fact the Gomez has
discipline and a good BA, something sorely lacking in San Francisco.

https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2017/7/7/15940140/miguel-gomez-sf-giants-chris-stratton

benf8...@aol.com

Jul 8, 2017, 7:35:15 PM7/8/17
Now Slater is on DL and Giants call up Mac Williamson. How wonderful.

John Walsh

Jul 8, 2017, 10:41:28 PM7/8/17
On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 16:35:14 -0700 (PDT), "benf8...@aol.com"
<benf8...@aol.com> wrote:

>Now Slater is on DL and Giants call up Mac Williamson. How wonderful.

Mac Williamson hitting a lusty .161 Mac Williamson? Oh that's going
to help them so damn much, ben! It just gets better and better. They
should separate those clowns so they don't infect each other with
anothercluster of injuries.

I'd also suggest a damn witch doctor or religious figure to bless the
damn players as they come up so they can last ***king longer than a
week with the team.

poldy

Jul 10, 2017, 3:50:22 PM7/10/17
Sabean or whoever is running the farm system has run it down to the ground.

Awesome Giants

Jul 11, 2017, 11:14:27 PM7/11/17
poldy <po...@kfu.com> wrote:

> Sabean or whoever is running the farm system has run it down to
> the ground.

I don't know. This decade they've turned up Belt, Panik, Crawford,
Blach, even Duffy for one good rookie year, and Arroyo is supposed to
be the next best thing. That's a couple of all-stars and a couple of
gold gloves. Seems like they don't turn up highly ranked prospects but
they do well once they're in the majors. And I believe this ballpark
just makes hitters look worse than they are.

They do suck at drafting outfielders though, but they rarely spend
their early rounds picks on OF. They're usually pitchers or
infielders, so I guess it's their philosophy to draft that way, until
this year.

benf8...@aol.com

Jul 12, 2017, 5:35:33 PM7/12/17
whatever happen to gary brown? I think the Giants were counting on him and he screwed up.Where'd he go?

John Walsh

Jul 13, 2017, 4:51:12 PM7/13/17
Sabean who never ran the organization, is the man responsible for the
Giants winning all those World Series titles. He went back to scouting
and Evans now hires and fires.

John Walsh

Jul 13, 2017, 4:53:46 PM7/13/17
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:35:31 -0700 (PDT), "benf8...@aol.com"
<benf8...@aol.com> wrote:

>whatever happen to gary brown? I think the Giants were counting on him and he screwed up.Where'd he go?

The Cardinals claim Gary back in 2015, ben.

“We knew he had value,” new Giants general manager Bobby Evans said.
“We’re not surprised he got claimed. We weren’t sure he would. He’s
been a pleasure to work with. Sorry to see him go, but as I told him,
'It’s an opportunity. Take advantage of it.’”

Brown, 26, the 24th overall draft pick in 2010, was part of a highly
touted Arizona Fall League outfield in 2011 that included Mike Trout
and Bryce Harper, and he had a superb 2011 season at Class A San Jose.
His career path then stalled. The Giants had designated him for
assignment, feeling comfortable with their outfield depth in the
minors, including Juan Perez, Daniel Carbonell and Mac Williamson.

The Giants could have optioned Brown to the minors and kept him but
chose to remove him from the 40-man roster to clear a spot for Justin
Maxwell, who will make the Opening Night roster.

benf8...@aol.com

Jul 13, 2017, 8:44:20 PM7/13/17
Looks like Gary Brown is in the Angels organization now.

Awesome Giants

Jul 15, 2017, 1:42:31 AM7/15/17
"benf8...@aol.com" <benf8...@aol.com> wrote:

> whatever happen to gary brown? I think the Giants were counting on
> him and he screwed up.Where'd he go?

He was either an underachiever or overvalued. A 1st round pick that
never materialized. He never came close to making a major league
roster.

Looks like he's homeless now. STL only kept him for 2 weeks. He musta
been really hopeless.

June 7, 2010: Drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the 1st round
(24th pick) of the 2010 amateur draft. Player signed August 16, 2010.

April 3, 2015: Selected off waivers by the St. Louis Cardinals from the
San Francisco Giants.

April 22, 2015: Selected off waivers by the Los Angeles Angels of
Anaheim from the St. Louis Cardinals.

March 31, 2016: Released by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.