The contract-year Cain resurrection is REAL!

Awesome Giants

May 16, 2017, 1:16:52 AM5/16/17
I wasn't buying it for a while, but now Cain is convincing me that he
might be for real. Aside from the Cincy game and the beginning of the
season, he's been really good. In fact, as good as he's ever been.

Does this have anything to do with it being the contract year, or pure
coincidence?

All along I just assume he'd be gone after this season. But now things
have changed. If his good season continues, the Giants will likely
bring him back. Of course, not at $20M, but at what price? And for
how many years? What if he sucks again after his new contract, like
Pablo did?

Roberto Ricca

May 16, 2017, 1:41:18 PM5/16/17
"Awesome Giants" <Gia...@sf.giants> wrote in message
> If his good season continues, the Giants will likely bring him back.

Big "if", unfortunately...

> Of course, not at $20M, but at what price?

Actually, his cost for next year is $13M, because if the management
doesn't pick his option ($20M), there is a $7M buyout anyway.

--

Roberto Ricca
2010: 1st time WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

John Walsh

May 16, 2017, 10:44:07 PM5/16/17
On Tue, 16 May 2017 19:41:24 +0200, "Roberto Ricca"
<robert...@TOGLIrrweb.org> wrote:

>"Awesome Giants" <Gia...@sf.giants> wrote in message
>> If his good season continues, the Giants will likely bring him back.
>
>Big "if", unfortunately...
>
>> Of course, not at $20M, but at what price?
>
>Actually, his cost for next year is $13M, because if the management
>doesn't pick his option ($20M), there is a $7M buyout anyway.

Standard contract language. Being healthy and pitching well will get
him whatever the market allows.

Awesome Giants

May 17, 2017, 3:00:13 AM5/17/17
"Roberto Ricca" <robert...@TOGLIrrweb.org> wrote:

> "Awesome Giants" <Gia...@sf.giants> wrote in message
>> If his good season continues, the Giants will likely bring him back.
>
> Big "if", unfortunately...
>
>> Of course, not at $20M, but at what price?
>
> Actually, his cost for next year is $13M, because if the management
> doesn't pick his option ($20M), there is a $7M buyout anyway.

Well that's one way to look at it, but the way I look at it is that he
still costs $20M if the team picks it up; it's just that they're losing
$7M anyway if they don't. :-) No right or wrong here, just different
perspective. :-)

But I just don't see the team spending $20M on him ($13M + $7M) no
matter how he pitches this year unless he's Kershaw level. I think
most likely it'll be a renegotiated contract for something in the $10-
15M range, for 2 years tops, maybe with some performance based money in
there if it's the lower range.

But with the emergence of Blach, Cain is dispensable (when Bumgarner
comes back) and probably not worth the risk.

I know Ben's gonna say dump Samardzija instead, but that's not possible
with his lengthy contract, and I don't think he's tradable.