Giants drafted plenty of "giants"

Awesome Giants

Jun 15, 2017, 4:09:47 AM6/15/17
Perhaps inpired by Bumgarner, the Giants drafted a whole bunch of
giant pitchers, 6'4 and up.

And I seriously can't recall the last time they drafted an OF in
round 1. Although with high schoolers it's always a bigger gamble,
but perhaps bigger reward.

Giants use analytics to draft players? About time! It's time to
ignore those useless ancient stats like RBI and W/L. They're for old
and uneducated senile folks. :-)

http://m.giants.mlb.com/news/article/236539750/giants-use-analytics-
to-aid-draft-picks/

Giants use more modern approach in Draft

By Chris Haft / MLB.com | @sfgiantsbeat | June 14th, 2017

SAN FRANCISCO -- John Barr cited spin rates. He mentioned exit
velocity. That's right: The scouting director of the San Francisco
Giants, an organization widely considered to remain rooted in bygone
forms of player evaluation, spoke with casual familiarity about
modern metrics.

"Just because I have white hair doesn't mean I'm old-school," Barr
jokingly said Wednesday after the MLB Draft concluded.

Complete Draft coverage

Draft Tracker
Top 200 Draft Prospects list
Complete Draft breakdown
Clemens, Gonzo, A-Rod relatives get picked
Pick-by-pick, first-round analysis
Draft bonus pools, pick values
Final rounds can produce gems
5 teams who did well on Day 2
2-way gems elevate Day 1 of Draft
Selections keep rolling in Day 2 of Draft
Draft analysis: Rounds 1-10
2017 Draft order
Draft Central
Video
Prospect Development Pipeline
PDP prospects
Draft coverage on MLBPipeline.com

San Francisco selected 18 right-handed pitchers, six left-handed
pitchers, three catchers, six infielders and seven outfielders
during the three-day talent grab.

• Giants top 30 prospects

And the Giants did so while employing every tool available to them
-- including metrics.

"It came down to using more and more information, because you have
more information that is available to you now, and we did it well,"
Barr said. "We digested it well. There were a lot of people
involved, from the IT department to our scouts. It was definitely an
organizational Draft."

The truth is, the Giants have increasingly relied on contemporary
methods of player evaluation for years. And with this Draft, they
maintained a different reputation: Being willing to take a risk.
San Francisco selected high schoolers, whose futures usually are
more volatile than collegians, with its first three picks:
outfielder Heliot Ramos, the highest-drafted player out of Puerto
Rico (19th overall) since Carlos Correa was taken first overall by
Houston in 2012; third baseman Jacob Gonzalez, who's bigger than his
father, former All-Star outfielder Luis Gonzalez; and left-hander
Seth Corry, Gatorade's Player of the Year in Utah.

The last time the Giants chose high schoolers with their first three
picks was 2007, when they took left-hander Madison Bumgarner, right-
hander Tim Alderson, outfielder Wendell Fairley and infielder Nick
Noonan with their top four selections.

Barr said that drafting prospects "who were young, athletic and
projectable was a key for us."

That trio of Ramos, Gonzalez and Corry comprised half of the six
high schoolers the Giants drafted. They spent their other 34
selections on college players, including fourth-round pick Garrett
Cave and fifth-rounder Jason Bahr, right-handers who the Giants
believe can ultimately supplement the Major League starting
rotation.

At times, the Giants appeared as if they were trying to live up to
their nickname in replenishing their pitching. Cave and Bahr are
both listed as 6-foot-4. Other pitchers they drafted in the top 10
rounds included 6-foot-7 Logan Harasta, 6-foot-6 John Gavin and 6-
foot-5 Aaron Phillips.

From their 13th choice, 6-foot-4 right-hander Tyler Schimpf, to
their last of 40 selections, 6-foot-8 right-hander Liam Jenkins, the
Giants drafted 10 pitchers standing 6-foot-4 or taller.

"It just so happened those were the ones that were there," Barr
said.

poldy

Jun 15, 2017, 5:27:33 PM6/15/17
On 6/15/17 1:09 AM, Awesome Giants wrote:
> Perhaps inpired by Bumgarner, the Giants drafted a whole bunch of
> giant pitchers, 6'4 and up.
>
> And I seriously can't recall the last time they drafted an OF in
> round 1. Although with high schoolers it's always a bigger gamble,
> but perhaps bigger reward.
>
> Giants use analytics to draft players? About time! It's time to
> ignore those useless ancient stats like RBI and W/L. They're for old
> and uneducated senile folks. :-)
>
> http://m.giants.mlb.com/news/article/236539750/giants-use-analytics-
> to-aid-draft-picks/
>
> Giants use more modern approach in Draft

Giants haven't had too much luck with lower picks.

They may be headed for top 10 or even top 5 picks in the next draft
though ...

Of course if they do draft someone that high, they have to pay a high
enough bonus to get them to sign, especially high schoolers.

Would be interesting to see how much they spend on the minor league
organization compared to other teams.

John Walsh

Jun 15, 2017, 10:33:34 PM6/15/17
All t he teams have to pay the bonus. This isn't a Baalke exercise,
right?

Awesome Giants

Jun 16, 2017, 3:27:31 AM6/16/17
That's still chump change in the mlb these days, where even mediocre
veterans often get 10M+/yr.