Pence out with a hamstring problem ... again

John Walsh

May 14, 2017, 7:21:37 PM5/14/17
He's on the DL for a while. He missed 48 games last year.

benf8...@aol.com

May 15, 2017, 1:02:22 AM5/15/17
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 4:21:37 PM UTC-7, JohnW wrote:
> He's on the DL for a while. He missed 48 games last year.

I hope they call up Jae Ryu Hwang or Austin Slater

John Walsh

May 15, 2017, 4:58:36 AM5/15/17
But, but, but ... he's still learning how to play the outfield (Hwang
refrain). They had Hwang at 3B and RF-CF. Both hitting better than
Hamstring Pence.

Since they seem to be getting more production from the outfield since
Pence left and Span is on an awesome roll, leave both of them right
where they are, ben.

Don't screw with the mojo. :)

benf8...@aol.com

May 15, 2017, 3:01:11 PM5/15/17
They have to call someone up. Hwang has played LF/3B/1B. Slater 2B/OF.
I don't wanna see ole Gorkys pinch hitting in a crucial spot.

John Walsh

May 15, 2017, 5:20:22 PM5/15/17
Lol, I don't want to see Gorkys in SF, period. Hwang and Slater would
be a big upgrade.

poldy

May 16, 2017, 1:29:12 PM5/16/17
On 5/14/17 4:21 PM, John Walsh wrote:
> He's on the DL for a while. He missed 48 games last year.

How many more years is he signed for?

He just turned 34 in April. He can be a starter for 2-3 more seasons at
the most?

Giants need to be planning to replace him in a year or two with someone
who can be a starter and provide similar run production.

Awesome Giants

May 17, 2017, 2:54:08 AM5/17/17
One more year, 2018, at $18.5M. With the frequency of his injuries,
he's our new Pagan. Damn, that's one year too long to enter the Harper
sweepstakes. :-(

Oh wait, Cain's $21M will be freeing up... Will adding another $9M be
enough to bid on Harper? (+$7M sunk cost for 1 year.) But it is scary
to spend that much on one guy.

With Cain's huge contract ending this year and Pence's ending next
year, it'll be interesting how they spend it.

Roberto Ricca

May 17, 2017, 12:55:54 PM5/17/17
"Awesome Giants" <Gia...@sf.giants> wrote in message
> Oh wait, Cain's $21M will be freeing up...

And maybe Cueto's too. He can opt-out this year.

I don't know what to hope. If he pitches well, he will become a free
agent. If he doesn't and maybe gets injured (knock on wood), he will
probably stay four more years.

All in all, I am hoping for a great year from Cueto.

--

Roberto Ricca
2010: 1st time WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

poldy

May 17, 2017, 2:45:48 PM5/17/17
This is why you need a vital farm system. Even if they got Harper, his
number may go down in this park.

So signing him would be a risk and he's probably going to get more than
$30 million per year.

Giants benefited from homegrown Belt and Crawford, though their offense
wasn't that consistent.

Now they are on big contracts so they need to get some cheap young players.

That reminds me, Panik must be coming up due in a year or two.

benf8...@aol.com

May 18, 2017, 12:30:58 AM5/18/17
Panik only makes 600k.
I can't see him making more than 5 mil.

benf8...@aol.com

May 18, 2017, 12:42:12 AM5/18/17
Nunez is a free agent. He makes 4.2 this yr.

ari...@bellsouth.net

May 19, 2017, 11:55:44 PM5/19/17
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 7:21:37 PM UTC-4, JohnW wrote:
> He's on the DL for a while. He missed 48 games last year.

with the way Pence swings, I am surprised his spine is still in its place.

Awesome Giants

May 22, 2017, 9:50:16 AM5/22/17
"Roberto Ricca" <robert...@TOGLIrrweb.org> wrote:

> "Awesome Giants" <Gia...@sf.giants> wrote in message
>> Oh wait, Cain's $21M will be freeing up...
>
> And maybe Cueto's too. He can opt-out this year.
>
> I don't know what to hope. If he pitches well, he will become a free
> agent. If he doesn't and maybe gets injured (knock on wood), he will
> probably stay four more years.
>
> All in all, I am hoping for a great year from Cueto.

Me too. Well, AT&T is a pitcher's park, which should factor into his
decision. But I think how the Giants finish this season will be huge.
I'm guessing he came here to win a championship; he probably could've
gotten more money elsewhere. So if the Giants can bounce back, he'll
most likely stay. If they're horrible, then he might leave.

BTW, why does it seem like it's always us in the bay area that get
screwed with these opt-out contracts? Obviously, I'm talking about the
idiotic Chris Webber contract. I forgot the length of the contract;
was it 15 years? 15 years with a 1 year out option. Stupid!

Awesome Giants

May 22, 2017, 9:51:42 AM5/22/17
poldy <po...@kfu.com> wrote:

> On 5/16/17 11:54 PM, Awesome Giants wrote:
>> poldy <po...@kfu.com> wrote:

>>> How many more years is he signed for?
>>>
>>> He just turned 34 in April. He can be a starter for 2-3 more
>>> seasons at the most?
>>>
>>> Giants need to be planning to replace him in a year or two with
>>> someone who can be a starter and provide similar run production.
>>>

>> One more year, 2018, at $18.5M. With the frequency of his
>> injuries, he's our new Pagan. Damn, that's one year too long to
>> enter the Harper sweepstakes. :-(
>>
>> Oh wait, Cain's $21M will be freeing up... Will adding another
>> $9M be enough to bid on Harper? (+$7M sunk cost for 1 year.) But
>> it is scary to spend that much on one guy.
>>
>> With Cain's huge contract ending this year and Pence's ending
>> next year, it'll be interesting how they spend it.
>>

> This is why you need a vital farm system.

Well that's everyone's wish; what can be better than cheap young
talent that won't leave for years?

> Even if they got
> Harper, his number may go down in this park.

Good point, and probably true. Although I believe Washington is
also a pitcher's park. Not sure how it compares to our park.

> So signing him would be a risk and he's probably going to get more
> than $30 million per year.

Yeah, a lot of money, and probably a very long term contract, so a
very big risk. And he seems to have some minor injuries here and
there from time to time. But the last time we signed someone that
big, his name was Barry Bonds and it paid off big time, so big risk
big reward. :-)