The Arroyo effect?

Awesome Giants

May 31, 2017, 5:57:13 AM5/31/17
Is there an Arroyo effect?

Giants' last 8 games:

Tue 5/23 Arroyo started, Giants lost (+bowling night)
Wed 5/24 Arroyo started, Giants lost
Thu 5/25 Arroyo started, Giants lost
Fri 5/26 Arroyo started, Giants lost
Sat 5/27 Arroyo not in lineup, Giants won
Sun 5/28 Arroyo not in lineup, Giants won
Mon 5/29 Arroyo started, Giants lost
Tue 5/30 Arroyo started, Giants lost (+bowling night)

Of course it can't be Arroyo's fault for the 6 losses in 8 games.
Unlike a pitcher, one position player usually can't lose a game by
himself; it's a team effort. If anything, wayne's bowling jinx is
probably a bigger fault. Everyone knows wayne is the resident bad luck
charm.

Then again, there might be some small effects:

Arroyo last 7 games: .077 BA, .154 SLG, .297 OPS
Nunez last 7 games: .400 BA, .400 SLG, .838 OPS

And Arroyo did go 0 for the week last week.

poldy

May 31, 2017, 2:55:10 PM5/31/17
Oh well, another unpromising prospect.

Fun fact, Aaron Judge grew up in Norcal, a Giants fan.

The A's had drafted him in the 31st round out of HS and he apparently
had scholarships to play college football.

However, he wanted to play baseball and went to Fresno State where he
made the Louisville Slugger All-American team as a freshman and led his
school to the CWS in 2011 and 2012.

He didn't really light it up in college though, nothing like he's doing now.

So he was selected 32nd in the 2013 draft, as a compensatory pick for
the Yankees.

Giants selected Arroyo in that draft #25, out of high school in FL. The
pick was considered a surprise because Arroyo had committed to the UF
baseball program but he signed with the Giants.

Maybe the Giants need to have some scouts in CA ...

Awesome Giants

Jun 1, 2017, 1:14:43 AM6/1/17
Well, if every team passed on Judge once in the 1st round, that
means he didn't look that good to anybody, so can't really blame the
Giants. More like the Yanks got lucky.

When was the last time the Giants drafted an OF in the 1st round?
Almost seems like never! :-) I think the Giants have a different
philosophy when it comes to the draft. Pitchers and infielders are
1st priorities.

BTW Arroyo benched today yet the Giants lost so it broke the string,
but they have an excuse going against Sherzer.

bdra...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2017, 2:24:15 PM6/2/17
I like that they're showing both faith and patience in him. Every scout has raved about his barreling ability. He doesn't walk much, but that seems to be more due to a Pablo Sandoval-esque ability to hit the ball wherever it is pitched. He doesn't take a lot of borderline pitches because he believes he can hit them.

He had a hot first couple weeks (hot-ish anyhow) and then the scouting report made it's rounds. Sliders running away are bad for him. But it would seem that he has the athletic ability and work ethic to make adjustments. I suspect this is a case of a guy who hasn't really had to work too hard in the low minors. He came up to AA and struggled a bit, but then came out in AAA and lit it up (small SS I realize). I really look forward to seeing him progress over the summer, and next year I think he might well break out into a perennial .325/.360/.550 guy who hits a ton of doubles. His defense thus far has looked more than adequate.

I'm enthused about Arroyo. Yay for the giants for sticking with him. It's not like there's one big hole on this team that is threatening to pull us out of contention. We have more holes than cheese...

-BWD.

ari...@bellsouth.net

Jun 3, 2017, 12:16:26 AM6/3/17
bowling has been over for 2 weeks already and will not start back until late August or early September. I hope the giants are back in the race by then.

Awesome Giants

Jun 3, 2017, 5:30:39 AM6/3/17
bdra...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 3:57:13 AM UTC-6, Awesome Giants
> wrote:
>> Is there an Arroyo effect?
>>
>> Giants' last 8 games:
>>
>> Tue 5/23 Arroyo started, Giants lost (+bowling night)
>> Wed 5/24 Arroyo started, Giants lost
>> Thu 5/25 Arroyo started, Giants lost
>> Fri 5/26 Arroyo started, Giants lost
>> Sat 5/27 Arroyo not in lineup, Giants won
>> Sun 5/28 Arroyo not in lineup, Giants won
>> Mon 5/29 Arroyo started, Giants lost
>> Tue 5/30 Arroyo started, Giants lost (+bowling night)
>>
>> Of course it can't be Arroyo's fault for the 6 losses in 8 games.
>> Unlike a pitcher, one position player usually can't lose a game
>> by himself; it's a team effort. If anything, wayne's bowling
>> jinx is probably a bigger fault. Everyone knows wayne is the
>> resident bad luck
>
>> charm.
>>
>> Then again, there might be some small effects:
>>
>> Arroyo last 7 games: .077 BA, .154 SLG, .297 OPS
>> Nunez last 7 games: .400 BA, .400 SLG, .838 OPS
>>
>> And Arroyo did go 0 for the week last week.
>
> I like that they're showing both faith and patience in him.

Yeah, they've shown more faith in him than anyone I can remember in a
long time.

> Every scout has raved about his barreling ability.

Really? I'm surprised to hear that since 24 teams passed on him.

> He doesn't walk
> much, but that seems to be more due to a Pablo Sandoval-esque
> ability to hit the ball wherever it is pitched. He doesn't take
> a lot of borderline pitches because he believes he can hit them.

Sandoval-esque. Hmmm I don't know if that's good or bad. :-) So far
he's striking out at an alarming rate, especially for a non-power
hitter.

> He had a hot first couple weeks (hot-ish anyhow) and then the
> scouting report made it's rounds.

Are you talking about the minors too or just the majors? In the majors
he was never hot. He batted above .250 for exactly one day but
otherwise below .250 the whole time. After his first week he was
batting .207. He did get a couple of huge late-inning hits which got
everyone excited.

Oh wait, he got up to .255 at Cincy, so 2 days above .250.

After 7 games (week 1): .207
After 14 games: .236
After 21 games: .218
After 28 games: .204

> Sliders running away are bad
> for him. But it would seem that he has the athletic ability and
> work ethic to make adjustments. I suspect this is a case of a guy
> who hasn't really had to work too hard in the low minors. He came
> up to AA and struggled a bit, but then came out in AAA and lit it
> up (small SS I realize). I really look forward to seeing him
> progress over the summer, and next year I think he might well
> break out into a perennial .325/.360/.550 guy who hits a ton of
> doubles. His defense thus far has looked more than adequate.

I can see the .325/.360 if he's as good as you say, but I highly doubt
he can come anywhere close to .550 SLG. .550 is a monster SLG and it's
very difficult to get there by just hitting doubles. He'd need to be a
HR hitter as well to get that high. Belt in his career never even
cracked .500 and he hit 41 doubles/17 HR last year just to slug .474.
Posey in his MVP season had 39 doubles and 24 HRs, batted .336, and he
only got to .549 SLG. And that was a one-time thing, not perennial.

Posey's career stats: .308/.376/.478. A perennial .325/.360/.550
hitter would be *way* better than Posey, maybe wins a couple of MVPs,
and a sure HOFer. As a Giants fan, I'd be ecstatic if Arroyo even come
close to being that good, but I highly highly doubt it. Of course,
he's only 1 month in, so it's way too early to tell what kind of hitter
he'll become. Hopefully we'll see the *real* him in the 2nd half, but
even next year would be good.

> I'm enthused about Arroyo. Yay for the giants for sticking with
> him. It's not like there's one big hole on this team that is
> threatening to pull us out of contention. We have more holes than
> cheese...

Well he's benched now. With Nunez heating up a bit right now and
Calixte getting a shot at LF, I don't see Arroyo getting too much
playing time. Unless the Giants don't improve by the ASB and fold,
then maybe Arroyo will play everyday again.

Awesome Giants

Jun 3, 2017, 5:32:13 AM6/3/17
We all know your bowling takes a break, but we also know from
experience the bowling jinx doesn't take a break. Too bad.

Today 6/2: Arroyo not in lineup, Giants won