Tenth anniversary of Bonds breaking the record

poldy

Aug 8, 2017, 2:48:46 PM8/8/17
So they show him hitting 762.

Then some discussion of HRs today.

In the last 3 years, HRs in MLB are up 30%. Suspicion is a gopher ball
(more tightly wound and harder) and not such stringent PED testing as
before.

Sport needs HRs to compete for attention. It's not just baseball.
Football has liberalized rules to favor the offense and so has the NBA.

More scoring leads to more popularity.

Meanwhile, Bonds, McGuire, Sosa and Clemens still not in HoF, even
though they made the sport very popular in their day.

Then there's word that PEDs can improve vision and stamina, not just raw
power for hitting the ball farther. So boost in energy and
concentration over a long, grueling season.

benf8...@aol.com

Aug 8, 2017, 11:58:39 PM8/8/17
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 11:48:46 AM UTC-7, poldy wrote:
> Then there's word that PEDs can improve vision and stamina, not just raw
> power for hitting the ball farther. So boost in energy and
> concentration over a long, grueling season.

I'll argue it did jack shit for Marvin Benard.

poldy

Aug 9, 2017, 2:29:00 PM8/9/17
He had a couple of double-digit HR seasons didn't he?

Plus he may have gotten more seasons of MLB service than he otherwise
would have gotten.

Plus Aurillia hits 37 HRs out of nowhere and then drops way down again?

Awesome Giants

Aug 10, 2017, 3:29:10 AM8/10/17
I would argue that it did jack shit for Neifi Perez.

And in 1990 when Ricky Henderson left the Yanks to rejoin the A's and
met Jose Canseco, Henderson went from 6 and 12 HRs his previous 2
seasons to 28 HRs in 1990, with career best 1.016 OPS, won MVP. His
Ruthian .577 SLG that season was nowhere close to any season in the
rest of his career.

You can probably play this game with a lot of players.

poldy

Aug 10, 2017, 3:53:16 PM8/10/17
The one who got national attention was Brady Anderson hitting 50 one year.

I don't know if he hit even 30 any other year.

Awesome Giants

Aug 14, 2017, 9:34:55 AM8/14/17
Hmmm going from 16 to 50 then back to 18. That does look very
fishy. Although why would he only juice for 1 year? I don't think
anyone was getting caught back in 1996 yet.