From Baseball America's "Ask BA" column: Nick Noonan

1 view

Jim Garaventa

Mar 2, 2008, 6:23:35 AM3/2/08
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2008/265710.html

I would like your opinion on three second-base prospects: Chris
Coghlan (Marlins), Nick Noonan (Giants) and Tony Thomas (Cubs). Who do
you like the best and why?

Tony Majeed
Clearwater, Fla.

Those guys are all pretty close, and all project as offensive second
basemen. Though his résumé isn't as extensive as the others', I think
Noonan is going to be the best player of the group. The 32nd overall
pick last June, he's a gifted hitter and the best athlete of the bunch.
He has drawn some comparisons to Chase Utley, though he has less power
and more speed and athleticism than Utley.

After Noonan, I'd give Thomas the edge over Coghlan. Coghlan has
advanced further than any of them, but his struggles in high Class A at
the end of 2007 bothered me. Thomas is the weakest defender of the
three, though he has the most pop in his bat.

======

It seems that the Giants will have second basemen coming out of there
ears in a couple of years. Assuming Frandsen is the incumbent, they'll
likely have Noonan, Denker and possibly Velez knocking on the door along
with Manny Burriss who's already getting some instruction at 2B. And
that's not counting a possible comeback from Marcus Sanders.

Jim

radiomd

Mar 2, 2008, 10:26:01 AM3/2/08
On 2008-03-02 03:23:35 -0800, Jim Garaventa <a...@b.com> said:

> http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2008/265710.html
>
> I would like your opinion on three second-base prospects: Chris
> Coghlan (Marlins), Nick Noonan (Giants) and Tony Thomas (Cubs). Who do
> you like the best and why?
>
> Tony Majeed
> Clearwater, Fla.
>
> Those guys are all pretty close, and all project as offensive second
> basemen. Though his résumé isn't as extensive as the others', I think
> Noonan is going to be the best player of the group. The 32nd overall
> pick last June, he's a gifted hitter and the best athlete of the bunch.
> He has drawn some comparisons to Chase Utley, though he has less power
> and more speed and athleticism than Utley.

BP 2008 on Noonan: "A supplemental first-round pick last year, Noonan
was one of the best pure high school hitters in the draft and would
have drawn a million-dollar bonus if he played a more premium position;
he just doesn't have the skills to play shortstop, but he can really
hit, has some power and runs well."