Gagne deal near complete...

1 view

Zod

Jul 30, 2007, 10:38:40 PM7/30/07
.....per Jim Johnson "the Bronx Block":

"I've heard two versions:

a.. Eric Gagne to the Yankees for Tyler Clippard, Jeff Karstens, and a
C-level prospect
b.. Eric Gagne to the Yankees for Tyler Clippard, Jeff Marquez, and a
C-level prospect
Either way, Eric Gagne appears to be on his way to New York to set up for
The Sandman. I will update this post when the exact information is
announced. Thanks to Dan Benton for the tip.

He's going to be unrecognizable without that billygoat beard."

http://mvn.com/mlb-yankees/

Tom K

Jul 30, 2007, 11:11:03 PM7/30/07
> a.. Eric Gagne to the Yankees for Tyler Clippard, Jeff Karstens, and a
> C-level prospect
> b.. Eric Gagne to the Yankees for Tyler Clippard, Jeff Marquez, and a
> C-level prospect
> Either way, Eric Gagne appears to be on his way to New York to set up for
> The Sandman. I will update this post when the exact information is
> announced. Thanks to Dan Benton for the tip.

Both are terrible trades; I would give up Karstens before I give up
Marquez, but Gagne is NOT worth Karstens/Marquez AND Clippard.
Nevermind throwing in a C-level prospect.

I'll go as far as to say that this blows up the theory that the
pitchers in this organization are going to be protected. You cannot
throw prospects like this away for an oft-injured two month rent-a-
reliever.

O'Neil's Faggy Prostate - .702 ball. Done. :D

Jul 30, 2007, 11:11:59 PM7/30/07

That would be just dandy with me. :)

saxmaniac

Jul 30, 2007, 11:15:38 PM7/30/07
While I agree with your assessment of Gagne, the players we will ostensibly
relinquish are hardly top, blue-chip prospects. This trade is consistent
with George's wish to do something to strengthen the team and, perhaps, get
the wild card spot.

"Tom K" <mryc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

BadgerBC

Jul 30, 2007, 11:20:07 PM7/30/07

I'll wait for confirmation (as this Benton guy is the same clown who
delivered us Conor Jackson last winter) in this case. If the trade is
for T-Clip and Marquez, they better get Gagne to agree to some sort of
extension (fat chance). He's probably not even going to be class A FA
as they tend to go with 3yrs window prior to free agency.

I'll wait until something more tangible appears than Benton and his
"source" at this point.

BadgerBC

Jul 30, 2007, 11:27:46 PM7/30/07
On Jul 30, 8:15 pm, "saxmaniac" <saxman...@cox.net> wrote:
> While I agree with your assessment of Gagne, the players we will ostensibly
> relinquish are hardly top, blue-chip prospects.

They're not blue chippers but T-Clip and Marquez are talented young
kids. If you give away two three B, B+ (Sickels standard) pitching
prospects every time you make a trade, sooner or later you're going to
make a disastrous one (catastrophic at times as Sabean found out).
The Yanks are loaded up and down the system with good arms, but you
have to price things correctly to stop from making these lopsided
deals. Otherwise you end up sending Tippy and McGregor to Weaver so
they end up tormenting the Yanks for years.

DC

Jul 30, 2007, 11:45:39 PM7/30/07
Tom K wrote:

> Both are terrible trades; I would give up Karstens before I give up
> Marquez, but Gagne is NOT worth Karstens/Marquez AND Clippard.
> Nevermind throwing in a C-level prospect.
>
> I'll go as far as to say that this blows up the theory that the
> pitchers in this organization are going to be protected. You cannot
> throw prospects like this away for an oft-injured two month rent-a-
> reliever.

Ah, but think of those World Series appearances.

Zod

Jul 31, 2007, 12:17:00 AM7/31/07

"BadgerBC" <neilricha...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I'll wait for confirmation (as this Benton guy is the same clown who
> delivered us Conor Jackson last winter) in this case. If the trade is
> for T-Clip and Marquez, they better get Gagne to agree to some sort of
> extension (fat chance). He's probably not even going to be class A FA
> as they tend to go with 3yrs window prior to free agency.
>
> I'll wait until something more tangible appears than Benton and his
> "source" at this point.

Pete Abew weighs in on Gagne:

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/07/30/chamberlain-lights-out-in-scranton/

"Meanwhile, despite the unsourced and unconfirmed reports you may be seeing
elsewhere, there is no deal yet for Eric Gagne. I'm not saying a deal isn't
out there to be made, but team officials say there is nothing done.
Lots of smoke, though.

17 hours or so left."

Throws like Mary

Jul 31, 2007, 12:36:29 AM7/31/07
On Jul 30, 8:38 pm, "Zod" <j...@aow.com> wrote:

> a.. Eric Gagne to the Yankees for Tyler Clippard, Jeff Karstens, and a
> C-level prospect
> b.. Eric Gagne to the Yankees for Tyler Clippard, Jeff Marquez, and a
> C-level prospect

Total panic move.

Tom K

Jul 31, 2007, 2:11:59 AM7/31/07
On Jul 30, 11:15 pm, "saxmaniac" <saxman...@cox.net> wrote:
> While I agree with your assessment of Gagne, the players we will ostensibly
> relinquish are hardly top, blue-chip prospects. This trade is consistent
> with George's wish to do something to strengthen the team and, perhaps, get
> the wild card spot.

I actually put Marquez on a top-prospect list within this
organization....and yes, that is saying something given the pitching
depth the organization has.

Teams will never learn that trading good prospects for relief pitchers
is just bad practice - it's hardly ever justifiable in my book.

Trading a few of these pitchers is something that HAS to be done at
some point, don't get me wrong. But wrong time, wrong player. And
Gagne does little in my eyes to make them a stronger wild-card
contender. He's more likely to blow out his arm on his first pitch in
pinstripes, if the trade does happen.

Pepe Papon

Jul 31, 2007, 3:24:22 AM7/31/07

What year is this, 1985?

I hope Cashman has more sense than to make a deal like this one.
Given that Joba has been tapped for a setup role, this deal would make
even less sense.

--

~ Seth Jackson

MySpace URL - http://www.myspace.com/sethjacksonsong
Songwriting and Music Business Info: http://www.sethjackson.net

Thermos

Jul 31, 2007, 7:11:18 AM7/31/07

>From today's Newsday: "Yankees general manager Brian Cashman remains
steadfast in his vow not to trade top righthanded pitching prospects
Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy. There is a chance he
might relent on Alan Horne, which might be enough to get Gagne."

Ugh.

Thermos

Jul 31, 2007, 7:12:03 AM7/31/07

I agree completely. It's a terrible idea.

Thermos

Jul 31, 2007, 7:13:36 AM7/31/07
On Jul 30, 11:15 pm, "saxmaniac" <saxman...@cox.net> wrote:
> While I agree with your assessment of Gagne, the players we will ostensibly
> relinquish are hardly top, blue-chip prospects. This trade is consistent
> with George's wish to do something to strengthen the team and, perhaps, get
> the wild card spot.

It strentgthens the team only a little. If they want to trade these
guys, they could certainly put them to better use. If they want to
keep them, they can also put them to better use.

O'Neil's Faggy Prostate - .702 ball. Done. :D

Jul 31, 2007, 9:01:37 AM7/31/07

I don't think it's panic - it's just dumb. They ain't going anywhere
and are just weakening the club for the future.

Great deal. Do it. :)

Throws like Mary

Jul 31, 2007, 12:07:44 PM7/31/07
On Jul 31, 7:01 am, "O'Neil's Faggy Prostate - .702 ball. Done. :D"

The Yanks problems have been as much about starting pitching this year
as about the bullpen. Closing the barn door after the horses have
already been traded. (Gotta love Farm metaphors.)

Erasmus "The Mannequin" Brown

Jul 31, 2007, 5:49:33 PM7/31/07

"Zod" <j...@aow.com> wrote in message
: .....per Jim Johnson "the Bronx Block":
:
Gagne was traded to the Red Sox. So much for Jim Johnson.

BadgerBC

Jul 31, 2007, 6:20:29 PM7/31/07
On Jul 31, 2:49 pm, "Erasmus \"The Mannequin\" Brown"

It's that Benton guy who also "broke" the story on Conor Jackson
coming over for T-Clip this past winter.

Erasmus "The Mannequin" Brown

Aug 3, 2007, 9:10:08 PM8/3/07

: On Jul 30, 11:15 pm, "saxmaniac" <saxman...@cox.net> wrote:
: > While I agree with your assessment of Gagne, the players we will
ostensibly
: > relinquish are hardly top, blue-chip prospects. This trade is consistent
: > with George's wish to do something to strengthen the team and, perhaps,
get
: > the wild card spot.
:
: I actually put Marquez on a top-prospect list within this
: organization....and yes, that is saying something given the pitching
: depth the organization has.

What do you like about him?