Rainout...

James Allen

Oct 16, 2006, 6:03:03 PM10/16/06
Two rainouts in the same series, but in different cities. Can't even
begin to think when that happened last.

Anyway, this seems to be the break Met fans were looking for, which, of
course, simply re-aligns the rotation that was sent off kilter by the
first rainout. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

I don't see LaRussa moving Carpenter up, no real point after all, they
have to play a game 6 anyway, and I'm sure he'd like to try the
Carpenter/Maine matchup again.

If Glavine can spin the same magic he's spun the last two times out,
the Mets should be in good shape.

Darren Oliver in game 7? What is it with guys named Oliver anyway? (And
I think my fingers have gotten sore from typing the phrase "Who'd have
thought?")

Hopefully the bats can take care of things. Seeing David Wright finally
jack one out last night was the most encouraging thing I've seen this
October. And Delgado? What else can you say, his bat is leading the
way...

No matter how heart-wrenching the series is for a Met fan (like myself,
of course), you can't say it hasn't been entertaining (and no one
thought it would be easy.) I get to get a full night's sleep for a
change. I have the feeling it'll be a long week.....

Jesse Spencer

Oct 16, 2006, 6:43:53 PM10/16/06
James Allen wrote:
> Two rainouts in the same series, but in different cities. Can't even
> begin to think when that happened last.
>
> Anyway, this seems to be the break Met fans were looking for, which, of
> course, simply re-aligns the rotation that was sent off kilter by the
> first rainout. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

It's a break at this point, but Cards or Mets could be playing in WS
with hangovers if theres one more rain out.

Lee

Oct 16, 2006, 6:51:23 PM10/16/06
On 16 Oct 2006 15:03:03 -0700, James Allen <sji...@aol.com> wrote:
> Two rainouts in the same series, but in different cities. Can't even
> begin to think when that happened last.
>
> Anyway, this seems to be the break Met fans were looking for, which, of
> course, simply re-aligns the rotation that was sent off kilter by the
> first rainout. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

I really don't have a clue why everyone says this rain out is a break
for the Mets. I think it's a very large break for the Cardinals (for the
second time this series!).

Before:

Cons:

+ Glavine pitching on short rest today

Pros:

+ Weaver also pitching on short rest
+ Mets bullpen way more rested than Cards bullpen after yesterday,
going into a game likely to feature the bullpens
+ Mets hitters on a roll from yesterday, in a game likely to feature a
good deal of offense
+ Off day before games 6 and 7 would rest the Mets bullpen in advance
of two games in which the Mets will sorely need their bullpen (with
Maine and Trachsel/whoever starting)

After:

Cons:

+ Bullpen plays 3 games in a row, including two in which it will
likely be heavily taxed
+ Weaver pitches on full rest
+ Mets hitters take a break from their breakout day yesterday
+ Cardinals bullpen gets to rest up after the work they put in
yesterday

Pros:

+ Glavine goes on full rest

To me, it's a no brainer that I would rather have played the game today.
I'll be cursing the rain all night.

(As an aside, I do hope LaRussa starts Carpenter tomorrow on three-days
rest. I like our chances of hitting Carpenter for a second time a lot
more when the factor in our favor is short rest than when the factor is
him pitching on the road. I also like Glavine on full rest vs. Carpenter
on short rest and Maine on full rest vs. Weaver on full rest as game 5
and 6 matchups a lot better than the alternative.)

Lee

James Allen

Oct 17, 2006, 7:01:03 AM10/17/06

Thing is, I believe the pro outweighs all the cons. You make it sound
as if it's one tiny thing compared to etheral stuff like hitters
forgetting how to hit after having a day off. The Mets, in 4
consecutively played games, have scored 2, 6, 0, and 12 runs. Did they
forget how to hit after game 2, remember in game 4, and are going to
forget again with a rainout? What, they can't get to Weaver unless they
played the night before?

At least in the case of Glavine we have tangible evidence that's he's
much better in the postseason on full rest. That's good enough for me.

> (As an aside, I do hope LaRussa starts Carpenter tomorrow on three-days
> rest. I like our chances of hitting Carpenter for a second time a lot
> more when the factor in our favor is short rest than when the factor is
> him pitching on the road. I also like Glavine on full rest vs. Carpenter
> on short rest and Maine on full rest vs. Weaver on full rest as game 5
> and 6 matchups a lot better than the alternative.)

He's not moving Carpenter up. A sensible move.