Good thing Delgado made the right decision....

Super T

Oct 2, 2005, 2:39:23 PM10/2/05
About where to sign.

Mets 83-78
Marlins 82-79

If he had in fact signed with the Mets have to think we would be getting
ready for the WC right now.

Super T

--
Sent via Baseball Newsgroups
http://www.baseballnewsgroups.com

Ruben Safir

Oct 2, 2005, 3:16:44 PM10/2/05
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:39:23 +0000, Super T wrote:

> If he had in fact signed with the Mets have to think we would be getting
> ready for the WC right now.

Or he might have created a circus and crumbled in his first year in NY?
We don't know.

Ruben

Super T

Oct 2, 2005, 3:13:25 PM10/2/05

That is true. Don't exactly think he was a media darling.

But until Jacobs came on the scene, he definitely would have provided
more offense from 1B than the team got all season.

Message has been deleted

Ruben Safir

Oct 3, 2005, 5:14:45 PM10/3/05
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:50:10 +0000, RUL ® wrote:

> Over this stupid "God Bless America" business? I doubt it.
> Besides, after seeing how New York took to Latrell Sprewell, I'm
> convinced that many fans here would have no problem rooting
> for Ted Bundy if he could hit .300 and drive in a 100 runs.

Here we are talking about the NY affect on Matsui and Beltran, but not
Delgado?

Its a funny thing, but all the times I had field seats this year, some guy
stood up and sang God Bless America right under the press level, solo and
getting appluaded.

I think you under-estimate the negitive backlash that the "God Bless
America" flap would cause, and I'm quite sure that Delgado would shoot off
his mouth a few times.

As for rooting for Sprewell, different sport, different team, different
audience. And even in the NBA in midtown Sprewell at least kept his
mouth shut.

Ruevain

Message has been deleted

mrbrklyn

Oct 3, 2005, 9:18:27 PM10/3/05

<<Who's this "we" you're referring to? The only thing I said with
regard to Matsui is that his first-year performance with the Yankees
wasn't significantly better than Beltran's with the Mets. As far as
any so-called "New York effect" is concerned, I think it's basically
a load of horseshit. >>

So you believe Beltran is just have a bad year? I didn't follow the
Yankee troll thread that closely. Whats the point in making the
comparision if not to support the argument that Beltran and others
often suffer their first year in NY.

I believe playing in NY is a factor some of the time, depending on
the player and the circumstances.

>I think you under-estimate the negitive backlash that the "God Bless
>America" flap would cause,

<<Are the fans in Miami any less patriotic than we are? If it wasn't
an issue for them, I doubt it would be any more of an issue here.>>

Definetely the fans in Miami are less patriotic than NYers post-9/11
especially in some circles. You know, suburban firemen, cops, and
construction workers etc.

>and I'm quite sure that Delgado would shoot off his mouth a few times.

<<Why? How many times did that happen this year?>>

In Miami? Not much of a test, but one time that i can think of. His
parting shot at the Mets.

>As for rooting for Sprewell, different sport, different team, different
>audience.

<<Same town, same principle. Knick fans aren't any more forgiving
than
Met fans, but they're just as hungry for a winner. >>

No no no. This city is WAY to diverse for that line of thinking. The
Garden is filled with a bunch of business suits must nights, in a small
arena, accessible mostly by mass transit. The after work Wall Street
wariors and inner city minority kids are very different demographic
than the Mets have.

> And even in the NBA in midtown Sprewell at least kept his
>mouth shut.

<<Is that the way it happened over in your little parallel universe,
Rubie? He sure didn't keep his mouth shut in this one.>>

Yeah - what headline did he make the first year he was here? I
remember nothing, but I don't give a shit about baseketball and wasn't
paying attention.

I would not root for Sprewell if he was on the Mets, and frankly, I
wasn't happy about Delgado too much either. I was glad he took his
circus to Florida.

Ruben

mrbrklyn

Oct 3, 2005, 9:20:02 PM10/3/05
BTW

I don't thing its entirely fair to compare Delgado to Sprewell.
Sprewell was guiltty of assaulting his coach. Delgado is just
expressing his opinion.

Ruben

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ruben Safir

Oct 4, 2005, 12:36:05 AM10/4/05
On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 04:07:37 +0000, RUL ® wrote:

>>I believe playing in NY is a factor some of the time, depending on
>>the player and the circumstances.
>

> It can be. So can playing in Boston, or playing in Seattle, or
> playing just about anywhere. It's not unusual for an athlete's
> performance to suffer if he's not happy with his surroundings.

Yes, but New York is different. Their is a whole list a players that
could not play here starting with Kenny Rodgers.

>Definetely the fans in Miami are less patriotic than NYers post-9/11
>especially in some circles. >You know, suburban firemen, cops, and
>construction workers etc.

<<I'm inclined to let this remarkably idiotic observation pass without
further comment. But perhaps someone from that area will read it
and graciously offer to beat the hell out of you.>>

For saying suburban construction workers are especially patriotic compared
to people who live in Miami?

Oh well.

Reuvain

Message has been deleted

Steve

Oct 4, 2005, 11:45:17 AM10/4/05

Ruben Safir wrote:

"Yes, but New York is different. Their is a whole list a players that
could not play here starting with Kenny Rodgers."

Which was proven by Kenny Rogers going 5-1 with the only two complete
games the Mets had in 1999 including a shutout.

Rogers may not have been the best fit for NY but it hardly starts with
he.

Message has been deleted

mrbrklyn

Oct 4, 2005, 1:35:22 PM10/4/05
And while some people questioned his intestinal fortitude after his
lousy performance in 1997, the 5-1 record he posted down the stretch
for the 1999 Mets, should have put the lie to this foolish "he can't
handle New York" business once and for all. >>

Evidently not after he pitched the Mets out of the playoffs. The Mets
never even made an attempt to resign him.

Ruben

Steve

Oct 4, 2005, 2:05:18 PM10/4/05

There was little reason to sign him after 1999. They acquired Hampton
and Rusch to mix with Jones, Reed and Leiter.

Rogers wanted to go to Texas and the Rangers were willing to pay $7.5
million for him to do so. The Mets already had a lot of payroll tied up
in the pitching staff at that point.

The argument that Rogers can't pitch in NY because of one appearance is
stupid.

Steve S.

mrbrklyn

Oct 4, 2005, 2:49:21 PM10/4/05
<<The argument that Rogers can't pitch in NY because of one appearance
is
stupid.>>

Its not stupid and he did it for the crosstown team as well. Its not
just 'one' appearance. It was the final playoff appearance in the
season where he WALKED in the winning run on 4 balls.

Ruben

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steve

Oct 4, 2005, 4:15:29 PM10/4/05

Ruben >>>>

So, in other words, you're basing it on one game. If he doesn't pitch
as well as he did down the stretch the Mets aren't in that game.
Remember, you're the guy stating that he's the poster boy for guys not
being able to cut it in NY for which you've been chopped to pieces by
more than one respondent.

mrbrklyn

Oct 4, 2005, 4:19:33 PM10/4/05
<<That's still _one_ appearance,>>

It's less. Just 4 pitches. Based on those 4 pitchs this pitcher
couldn't function in NY.

Ruben

Message has been deleted

mrbrklyn

Oct 4, 2005, 6:03:11 PM10/4/05
OK Add Game 4 of the 1996 Series

Joseph Richardson

Oct 4, 2005, 8:29:23 PM10/4/05

But he was a good hitter.

Message has been deleted

Steve

Oct 5, 2005, 2:21:21 PM10/5/05
Ruben schreib:

Ruben "

If you're narrowing it down to those four pitches I guess it means he
couldn't function in Atlanta since that's where it occurred.

Ruben Safir

Oct 5, 2005, 3:21:58 PM10/5/05
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:21:21 -0700, Steve wrote:

> If you're narrowing it down to those four pitches I guess it means he
> couldn't function in Atlanta since that's where it occurred.

Yeah -- so ;)