Ellison

Mr. K

Aug 29, 2007, 3:14:52 AM8/29/07

WTF is this guy doing on a Major League Roster?

Chaos_Not@Home

Aug 29, 2007, 8:09:33 AM8/29/07
On Aug 29, 3:14 am, "Mr. K" <mkerst...@comcast.net> wrote:
> WTF is this guy doing on a Major League Roster?

Not sure - there was one play that I thought he'd beat the throw to
first and he just didn't seem fast - which I figured speed was one of
his "tools"

David Short

Aug 29, 2007, 9:11:21 AM8/29/07
Mr. K wrote:
> WTF is this guy doing on a Major League Roster?

Bubba Crosby and Dwayne Wise got hurt at the wrong time?

With injuries to Freel and Hamilton and Wise that left the reds with
Junior, Dunn and Hopper as outfielders on the major league roster. While
they became "versatile" with Freel, the roster was clogged because
neither Hatteberg or Conine or either of the catchers could really play
in the outfield. I guess they could have put Keppinger or Conine out
there, but that still really leaves the roster with a single
centerfielder, Hopper.

Either Crosby or Wise would have been pretty obvious fits. They can take
50 plate appearances and not bury you. They can cover centerfield.
They're old enough that you're not hurting their development by having
them sit on the bench every day. Unfortunately for them, they were hurt.

They could have promoted Joey Votto. He's on the 40 man roster and he's
ready to play in the majors. He's not a centerfielder. He's not really
even a corner outfield. That doesn't solve the problem.

They could have promoted Jay Bruce early. While he IS able to cover
center, he's not on the 40 man roster and that would have been rushing
the kid. Then your best prospect is mostly sitting on the bench while
the team goes 70-90 and that's just Bob Boone stupid.

Chris Dickerson IS on the 40 man roster. He is also a centerfielder.
He's old enough that he's not really a prospect at this point. He is
what he is. He'll go as far as his batting average will take him. He's
been passed organizationally by Bruce. Dickerson projects as a 4/5
outfielder at best. He can certainly cover center. They didn't call him
up. Ask them. I don't know why.

They didn't give anything UP for Ellison. At least we can comfort
ourselves with that. The reds have a fair amount of dead wood on the 40
man roster. This is just another branch of that.

dfs

Zuke

Aug 29, 2007, 10:32:38 AM8/29/07
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Mr. K wrote:

> WTF is this guy doing on a Major League Roster?

Can somebody tell him not to point his bat at the
pitcher. It freaks me out. I think there was a Dominican
guy who played for the Dodgers years ago who did that,
maybe Gueroro or the guy who played short, but that's the
only guy I saw who had some success with that method.

Kommienezuspadt

Aug 29, 2007, 4:19:40 PM8/29/07

"Zuke" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Julio Franco??