JD Martinez

Pearly Soames

Dec 13, 2017, 1:47:04 PM12/13/17
I'm glad to see the rumors that the Sox are interested in Martinez, but the speculation that this implies JBJ would have to go makes no sense. JDM is a sucky outfielder and should only DH if the Sox grab him. The uptick in offense would be nice, but why lessen the impact by degrading the defense on a team with pretty bad D already? They need to patch their weaknesses without creating new ones.

Pearly Soames

Dec 14, 2017, 1:45:15 PM12/14/17
On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 1:47:04 PM UTC-5, Pearly Soames wrote:
> I'm glad to see the rumors that the Sox are interested in Martinez, but the speculation that this implies JBJ would have to go makes no sense. JDM is a sucky outfielder and should only DH if the Sox grab him. The uptick in offense would be nice, but why lessen the impact by degrading the defense on a team with pretty bad D already? They need to patch their weaknesses without creating new ones.

I don't like hearing that they are pursuing Hosmer though - does anyone think signing him would be a good idea?

PW

Dec 14, 2017, 8:36:59 PM12/14/17
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:47:01 -0800 (PST), Pearly Soames
<pearlys...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm glad to see the rumors that the Sox are interested in Martinez, but the speculation that this implies JBJ would have to go makes no sense. JDM is a sucky outfielder and should only DH if the Sox grab him. The uptick in offense would be nice, but why lessen the impact by degrading the defense on a team with pretty bad D already? They need to patch their weaknesses without creating new ones.

*---

I totally agree Pearly!

And I think we should keep our free agent fantastiic double hitter and
good defensive guy at 1B. But I do not see him on the roster so I
guess someone picked him up.

Now, what do we do to get more runs?

-pw

PW

Dec 14, 2017, 8:39:43 PM12/14/17
*---

Does anyone think that Hanley is going to amount to anything better
than he has been, even after surgery?

I am not sure about that!

-pw

Pearly Soames

Dec 14, 2017, 10:27:19 PM12/14/17
I'm not either. I'm hoping that some other team shows some interest in him so that the Sox can unload whatever portion of his salary that they can in order to move on at 1B/DH.

Pearly Soames

Dec 14, 2017, 10:32:27 PM12/14/17
Moreland isn't shown on the roster because he is a free agent, and I don't believe anyone has picked him up yet. He was better than I expected last season, played good D, and seems like a good enough guy, but this is one spot that's screaming for an upgrade. Santana would look nice at 1B. Or, as JF suggested, move Devers to 1B and grab one of the many 3B on the market.

kfa...@nycap.rr.com

Dec 15, 2017, 8:20:54 AM12/15/17
Been my feeling all along. Devers should be carrying that 1B glove everywhere. Winter ball at first. Sign Moustakas. Give Moreland another one year contract as insurance. If Devers struggles defensively he DH-es. Something probably should be done w/ Hanley. Next years crop of FAs will cost.

PW

Dec 15, 2017, 11:18:51 AM12/15/17
*--
Now we're talking! I like it!

-pw

Pearly Soames

Dec 15, 2017, 6:03:53 PM12/15/17
Next year's FAs are notable, but don't really include a high-end 1B option that I can see (unless Daniel Murphy and his awful glove slide over). Santana signed with the Phillies, leaving only Hosmer as a 1B FA option this year, and I really hope they pass on him. Barring a trade with the White Sox, shifting Devers and dipping into the 3B pool is looking like the best route for sure.

kfa...@nycap.rr.com

Dec 15, 2017, 8:13:38 PM12/15/17
Devers makes Sandoval look like a Gold Glover at 3B.