OT: Florida Marlins

B.B. from N.B.

Dec 2, 2005, 2:44:48 PM12/2/05
What a shameful baseball area south Florida must be.

The Marlins are systematically destroying the resident baseball team and the
featured story on the front page of the Miami Herald sports section is about
the Division 2 High School Football Championship.

They don't deserve anything better than a double A club which is exactly
what they will have if this keeps up.

To quote Jed Clampett .................. Pitiful ................. Just
pitiful.

JeffH

Dec 2, 2005, 2:49:12 PM12/2/05
i'd rather watch tampa bay then the marlins

JeffH

Dec 2, 2005, 2:49:12 PM12/2/05

John Poutré

Dec 2, 2005, 2:50:29 PM12/2/05
"B.B. from N.B." <bbur...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Pathetic. It's one of the problems with baseball.

I guess baseball has given them permission to seek to move to another city.
Move what, a AA team?

harry lime

Dec 2, 2005, 3:03:53 PM12/2/05

"JeffH" <jeffh_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> i'd rather watch tampa bay then the marlins
>how many championships has Tampa won?

jeff

Dec 2, 2005, 3:22:54 PM12/2/05

"John Poutré" <mehat...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4390a585$0$43950

> I guess baseball has given them permission to seek to move to another
> city.
> Move what, a AA team?

Perhaps, but a AA team with more top quality prospects than anyone except
maybe Anaheim. The next year or two might be painful to watch, but I bet if
they keep that team together (big IF, I'm sure), I bet they can get more
wins over the next five or six years than many of the other teams in the
league.

Keith Willoughby

Dec 2, 2005, 3:34:08 PM12/2/05

They won a World Series, broke up the team, won another WS, and broke up
the team. If the prospects they're breaking up the team for this time
are any good, maybe they've hit upon a winning formula. It certainly
makes more sense than aging, expensive mediocrity - like the Orioles,
for example.

"What a terrible place is a pub with no beer."

Thermos

Dec 2, 2005, 3:38:35 PM12/2/05

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> "B.B. from N.B." <bbur...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > What a shameful baseball area south Florida must be.
> >
> > The Marlins are systematically destroying the resident baseball team and the
> > featured story on the front page of the Miami Herald sports section is about
> > the Division 2 High School Football Championship.
> >
> > They don't deserve anything better than a double A club which is exactly
> > what they will have if this keeps up.
> >
> > To quote Jed Clampett .................. Pitiful ................. Just
> > pitiful.
>
> They won a World Series, broke up the team, won another WS, and broke up
> the team. If the prospects they're breaking up the team for this time
> are any good, maybe they've hit upon a winning formula. It certainly
> makes more sense than aging, expensive mediocrity - like the Orioles,
> for example.

The next world championship team the franchise has will likely be in
another state, though. Viva Las Vegas?

Tom K

Dec 2, 2005, 4:01:57 PM12/2/05
> They won a World Series, broke up the team, won another WS, and broke up
> the team. If the prospects they're breaking up the team for this time
> are any good, maybe they've hit upon a winning formula. It certainly
> makes more sense than aging, expensive mediocrity - like the Orioles,
> for example.

That is one thing that is getting lost in this "fire sale" - they are
picking up some very good prospects in these trades. There are a lot
of teams that wouldn't mind adding Petit, Sanchez, and Ramirez to their
minor league systems. And they acquired a potential closer for
themselves today in the Castillo trade (didn't read too far into the
article to know if all of the prospects they got in that deal are good
or not)

Keith Willoughby

Dec 2, 2005, 4:02:44 PM12/2/05
"Thermos" <cfb...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>>
>> They won a World Series, broke up the team, won another WS, and broke
>> up the team. If the prospects they're breaking up the team for this
>> time are any good, maybe they've hit upon a winning formula. It
>> certainly makes more sense than aging, expensive mediocrity - like
>> the Orioles, for example.
>
> The next world championship team the franchise has will likely be in
> another state, though. Viva Las Vegas?

They better do a comprehensive feasibility study if they're thinking of
Vegas. I doubt anyone has a real clue about the economics of putting a
ballclub in a city with such a large transient population. (I know the
permanent population is fairly large, and growing at a massive rate, but
I don't know if that's the lure of Vegas for a franchise)

The Marlins play in a football stadium that they rent, at a very
unfavourable rate IIRC because of Huizenga's previous role as owner of
the stadium and ballclub. They're always going to want a new stadium
that they own themselves. Given that both moving and threatening to move
will help them in that goal, I don't think this latest episode is
surprising.

Personally, I hope they end up in Brooklyn ;-)

The tax laws don't help. They provide an incentive to buy a franchise,
keep it for 5 years and sell on. It doesn't give any incentive to
continuity.

"It's being so cheerful as keeps me going"

ReEfEr MaDnEsS

Dec 2, 2005, 4:12:13 PM12/2/05
they did it a few years back after their 1st world series title, the waited
an year this time.....will they win another one in 5 years......a title
every 5 years is worth a dismantling every time

right?

Thermos

Dec 2, 2005, 4:38:16 PM12/2/05

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> "Thermos" <cfb...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Keith Willoughby wrote:
> >>
> >> They won a World Series, broke up the team, won another WS, and broke
> >> up the team. If the prospects they're breaking up the team for this
> >> time are any good, maybe they've hit upon a winning formula. It
> >> certainly makes more sense than aging, expensive mediocrity - like
> >> the Orioles, for example.
> >
> > The next world championship team the franchise has will likely be in
> > another state, though. Viva Las Vegas?
>
> They better do a comprehensive feasibility study if they're thinking of
> Vegas. I doubt anyone has a real clue about the economics of putting a
> ballclub in a city with such a large transient population. (I know the
> permanent population is fairly large, and growing at a massive rate, but
> I don't know if that's the lure of Vegas for a franchise)

I think Vegas has more "regular residents" than it used to. Enough to
support a franchise? I'm not sure.

> The Marlins play in a football stadium that they rent, at a very
> unfavourable rate IIRC because of Huizenga's previous role as owner of
> the stadium and ballclub. They're always going to want a new stadium
> that they own themselves. Given that both moving and threatening to move
> will help them in that goal, I don't think this latest episode is
> surprising.

No, me neither.

> Personally, I hope they end up in Brooklyn ;-)

That's a fine idea! I'd think NY can support 3 teams. The Yanks and
Mets would take a hit in terms of revenues, but they can handle it.
That would be fine by me. Perhaps George would see it differently,
though. Just guessing.

> The tax laws don't help. They provide an incentive to buy a franchise,
> keep it for 5 years and sell on. It doesn't give any incentive to
> continuity.

Right. When does John Henry turn into a pumpkin again?

Keith Willoughby

Dec 2, 2005, 4:54:07 PM12/2/05
"Thermos" <cfb...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:

>> "Thermos" <cfb...@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> They better do a comprehensive feasibility study if they're thinking of
>> Vegas. I doubt anyone has a real clue about the economics of putting a
>> ballclub in a city with such a large transient population. (I know the
>> permanent population is fairly large, and growing at a massive rate, but
>> I don't know if that's the lure of Vegas for a franchise)
>>

> I think Vegas has more "regular residents" than it used to. Enough to
> support a franchise? I'm not sure.

Someone on rsb pointed out that there might be a market of people
planning a trip to Vegas specifically when their home city team is
playing there. I don't know if that's a foundation for a franchise,
though.

[...]

>> Personally, I hope they end up in Brooklyn ;-)
>>

> That's a fine idea! I'd think NY can support 3 teams. The Yanks and
> Mets would take a hit in terms of revenues, but they can handle it.
> That would be fine by me.

I think it would solve at least two problems - one, finding a strong
market for a franchise, and two, the Yankees' huge market.

I see from Google Maps that there's a big open space just right for a
stadium, too. They'd have to move the planes out of the way first,
though.

> Perhaps George would see it differently, though. Just guessing.

He'd have an anuerysm. I'm not quite cold enough to suggest that might
solve a problem, too . . . ;-)

>> The tax laws don't help. They provide an incentive to buy a franchise,
>> keep it for 5 years and sell on. It doesn't give any incentive to
>> continuity.
>
> Right. When does John Henry turn into a pumpkin again?

Two years and counting, isn't it?

"Wherever there is honi soit, there you will find them mal y ponsing"

SOMLAW

Dec 2, 2005, 5:18:10 PM12/2/05
Sad thing, the Marlins were LOADED with top notch talent.

Bob

Dec 2, 2005, 5:21:53 PM12/2/05

"What a shameful baseball area south Florida must be......."

Yes it is, I've been to a couple of game there and even if
they move it to downtown Miami with a dome I still think they wouldn't
draw good crowds.

I say move the team to Portland Oregon or Buffalo both cities strongly
support their minor league ball clubs.

Nick D.

Dec 2, 2005, 5:50:04 PM12/2/05

"harry lime" <rro...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
1 Super Bowl

Gnork

Dec 2, 2005, 6:22:04 PM12/2/05

So do Sacramento and Louisville.

Soon2Be27WS

Dec 2, 2005, 6:26:35 PM12/2/05

> i'd rather watch tampa bay then the marlins

It's "than", not "then".

Gnork

Dec 2, 2005, 6:49:28 PM12/2/05

Now that's picky. Also, how do you know he doesn't mean that first he
would like to watch Tampa Bay and follow it up by watching the Marlins?

Thermos

Dec 2, 2005, 7:27:53 PM12/2/05
"SOMLAW" <bakal...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Sad thing, the Marlins were LOADED with top notch talent.

And if anyone here knows about being loaded, its Cheech Somlaw.

Erasmus "The Mannequin" Brown

Dec 2, 2005, 10:44:13 PM12/2/05

"Keith Willoughby" <ke...@flat222.org> wrote in message

> "Thermos" <cfb...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Keith Willoughby wrote:
> >> "Thermos" <cfb...@yahoo.com> writes:
> >>
> >> They better do a comprehensive feasibility study if they're thinking of
> >> Vegas. I doubt anyone has a real clue about the economics of putting a
> >> ballclub in a city with such a large transient population. (I know the
> >> permanent population is fairly large, and growing at a massive rate,
but
> >> I don't know if that's the lure of Vegas for a franchise)
> >>

> > I think Vegas has more "regular residents" than it used to. Enough to
> > support a franchise? I'm not sure.
>
> Someone on rsb pointed out that there might be a market of people
> planning a trip to Vegas specifically when their home city team is
> playing there. I don't know if that's a foundation for a franchise,
> though.
>
> [...]
>
> >> Personally, I hope they end up in Brooklyn ;-)
> >>

> > That's a fine idea! I'd think NY can support 3 teams. The Yanks and
> > Mets would take a hit in terms of revenues, but they can handle it.
> > That would be fine by me.
>
> I think it would solve at least two problems - one, finding a strong
> market for a franchise, and two, the Yankees' huge market.

I've got a better idea: how about I club you over the head with a lead
pipe?!?

niceguy

Dec 3, 2005, 8:53:59 AM12/3/05
Than watch them!

SOMLAW

Dec 3, 2005, 11:47:22 AM12/3/05
your a dope. I havent been loaded in years.