Oh Sarge Bates Update

1 view

Christina

Jun 7, 2009, 10:23:06 PM6/7/09
Bates now has been promoted to Pawtucket, Reddick is off the DL, he
missed alot of time after a very good start, also Hagadone is healthy
now, he has been activated for Greenville, he is a very talented
leftie pitcher!

Steve Robbins

Jun 7, 2009, 10:39:47 PM6/7/09

It looks like he is pitching tonight. I am about to make a trip to
Greenville this week. I may have to see when his second start is and
try and make that game. Contrary to my usual luck, they are at home
next weekend.

--
The Unofficial a.s.b.b-r Reference Page
http://redsox.robbins-ut.com/index.html

Christina

Jun 7, 2009, 10:52:41 PM6/7/09
On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 20:39:47 -0600, Steve Robbins
<srobb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Christina wrote:
>> Bates now has been promoted to Pawtucket, Reddick is off the DL, he
>> missed alot of time after a very good start, also Hagadone is healthy
>> now, he has been activated for Greenville, he is a very talented
>> leftie pitcher!
>
>It looks like he is pitching tonight. I am about to make a trip to
>Greenville this week. I may have to see when his second start is and
>try and make that game. Contrary to my usual luck, they are at home
>next weekend.

Oh you are right Steve, he pitched 1 2/3 shut out innings! He started
but they took him out early, I hope he was not hurt I didn't hear any
thing of that. Greenville has some good players Steve, they have a
catcher Federkowitz who is having a great year, I liked him in Lowell
last year. Also Mailman in LF is having a good year, Rizzo the 1B who
had cancer but recovered is doing ok, the short stop Tejeda still
hasn't shown much though he is very young, unfortunatley Almanzar and
Middlebrooks (3B) and Dent at 2B have flop'd. The pitchers are good,
Stormy Pimental has been hittable but has a good era, they also
activated Fife who I love just now, Price another 1st orunder has been
very good, all the pitchers pretty much have suceeded, it is a
pitchers league usally. Too bad Kelly was promoted though by the way
he had 6 perfect innings for Salem in his last start!!!

The Gnorkmeister

Jun 8, 2009, 1:15:17 AM6/8/09

Bates was hitting .343. Clearly the master of the Red Sox farm
system. he deserves the promo. Nobody at Pawtucket is doing well
outside of Bailey. They have a dreadful offense. I hope Bates doesn't
fall in to it. His problems are:
1. He can't get younger and is considered a little old (25) for just
arriving in AAA.
2. For a 1st baseman/outfielder he doesn't have much power.
3. He isn't fast. Hey he is listed as 6'4" 232 lbs. I could stunt
double for him. I am listed at 6' 3 1/2" 230 lbs. I am willing to bet
that he can outrun me!

The Pathetic Pawsox Punchers (60 or more AB)

Jeff Bailey .277 .390 .508
Chris Carter .267 .321 .393
Chip Ambres .258 .338 .365
Dusty Brown .248 .360 .343
Travis Denker .247 .337 .347
Paul McAnulty .236 .338 .414
Sean Danielson .236 .322 .309
Freddy Guzman .226 .304 .294
Gil Velazquez .217 .274 ,296
Jon Van Every .210 .355 .452
Angel Chavez .206 .239 .275
Iggy Suarez .167 .275 .250

Carter is especially disappointing after the very good year at
Pawtucket in 2008. Van Every at .210 is actually the 2nd most
productive hitter on the team. That is scary. Velazquez is hitting
like he has for much of his long un-distinguished minor league career.
Freddy Guzman, I predict, will never play a game for Boston. Angel
Chavez has 189 at bats. Why? Dusty Brown was very good last year at
Pawtucket. He is way down this year although he has managed to get on
base at a good rate.

Whoever Bates replaces, he will NOT have big shoes to fill. Theo's
crop of minor league free agents for 2009 is dying on the vine.

The Gnorkmeister

Jun 8, 2009, 2:06:26 AM6/8/09

There!

Steve Robbins

Jun 8, 2009, 6:38:56 AM6/8/09

I've never been a great one game evaluator, but if I can go it will be a
good time of course. I was also hoping to get a good look at
Federowicz. He has been showing something this year from what I have
read. He is a little on the small side for a catcher, so we will see.

Tristan daCunha

Jun 8, 2009, 8:21:34 AM6/8/09
Christina; OK but Where's Waldo?

The Gnorkmeister

Jun 8, 2009, 12:06:52 PM6/8/09

I want to stick you head in a vat of rocky road ice cream.

Steve Robbins

Jun 8, 2009, 2:31:31 PM6/8/09

> I want to stick you head in a vat of rocky road ice cream.

Well Gnork, I don't know what to say. Really, I have no idea if that
is suppose to be good or bad. No Wombats. No mutants. I may have
missed punctuation in the first sentence, but I did spell his name
right. ???

The Venerable Sarge

Jun 8, 2009, 3:35:48 PM6/8/09

I guess the boys have it pretty well covered. No surprises.